•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Snookster

Buyer Beware: Hemp Depot Seeds

Now, let me start by saying I am not trying to underhand Hemp Depot. But the truth is the truth. I sent funds to HD sometime in late Jan. I saw that my beans had been out and so I waited...and waited....etc.

I contacted Brad at HD & asked if he knew what was going on. He stated that there was a mail intercept there in Canada during that same time period. He said just wait and see. Again, I did that. 1st week of March I again contacted him about any returned mail. He stated that my mail did not come back to him, so I asked if there was anyway he could send me different beans.

He told me to go look at the HD policy on selling beans. I did & (I'll make this short)

and it is a no-refund, no replacement deal. So there goes my $67.00.

Today I received a letter from Canada which politely states that my beans were indeed confiscated. Also, a warning that it is against Canadian Law to buy said beans.

So, buyer beware. I don't know if this is a regular thing there or not.

Just sayin'........

Snook

• Like 5

That's just a risk everyone has to take when purchasing seeds outside of their own country, unfortunately. Not really any fault of the seed bank.

HD is a solid place to buy from, hands down.

• Like 7

That's just a risk everyone has to take when purchasing seeds outside of their own country, unfortunately. Not really any fault of the seed bank.

HD is a solid place to buy from, hands down.

Seems to me if they were a solid place to buy from they would accept some of that risk themselves and not leave a paying customer hanging. Sannie would never treat a customer that way, this I know from experience.

• Like 11

BeachBud.....You are correct. This is the ONLY seed supplier that doesn't go above & beyond for a paying Customer. Thruout the years I have spent a pretty penny with HD, so really, I'm not trying to diss them at all. My whole point is to think twice, at least for a little while before buy beans from them. I have one more pack of Blue Diesel from another Canadian seed supplier that I'm expecting and now I'm wondering If the same thing will happen.

I will let the forum know.

Snook

Just think of how many people paid for seeds they never recieved... that's 100% profit every time... and in most cases, you're screwed no matter what!

That amount of money adds up quick, but sadly, it still doesn't buy integrity.

You're gonna have to start buying your seeds from more reputable vendors, ones that have their integrity intact and will attempt to make things right if theres a problem after the product leaves their hands. It shouldn't be buyer-beware 100% of the time.

• Like 1

[ It shouldn't be buyer-beware 100% of the time.]

I certainly agree, it should not...however everything that is classified outside of the law, is usually not going to be covered.

HD has never, covered lost items.

Honestly I greatly Thank Snookster for posting this.

I still have maybe 15 years of using their service with no hiccups.

I did start to wonder when the Mounties would put the skids to them, once legal buds started up there.

Damn, I was going to go after Bean Hoarders offerings, for next or upcoming venture, after my Hawaiian venture.

Their beans are very cheap, and wow what a list. Maybe bumpkis, but I'd have given them a shot.

I'll put HD on my Watch List for Buyer Beware for now.

So many more folks to work with nowadays anyway.

I wouldn't get too worried, I googled "Hemp depot rip off" and "hemp depot scam" and found a couple complaints in 2012 and 1010, sucks that Snooks didn't get his seeds, but if it were happening very often at all folks would be crying all over the net about it.

I've got 5 orders from Hemp Depot, everything all good every time, freebees even, not that I'd ever grow any of malberys gear but the friend I gave them to loved 'em.

I doubt I'll ever order any more seeds, my Mom got a hip replacement and isn't in pain anymore so I'm shutting down my grow, but if I ever do I'll get them from HD, hope sannie is selling with them by then :)

Just curious, did you know what the policy was before you ordered Snookster? it's usually the first thing I check at a seedbank.

• Like 1

We only seem to have this problem when shipping over to the States. I'm under the impression its still illegal or has something changed?

In my early research buying seeds online, Canada is almost always riskier than European seeds. I've ordered from both, and only had one Attitude order confiscated by Chicago customs, which is one too many. There was about a six month period where Chicago was grabbing tons of Attitude orders, and sticking a smiley face where your beans used to be. My comedian customs guy wrote, "sorry about your luck!". I did have some seeds from Canada that were lost in the mail, back when High Grade was in business, but they replaced them immediately.

Never ordered from Hemp Depot for the reasons listed here.

Then there's the moronic f-tards posting Youtube videos showing themselves unpacking their stealth shipped seeds, bragging how genius it is. That's truly epic stupidity!!

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

thx. for the heads up cause HD was next in line. yes, they are solid and have always been that way.

with that said comparing them to sannie who does only a drop in the bucket of the volume they do is ludicrous.

open a business and see what happens when u do high volume and you have a replacement policy for shit that's bot your fault and see how you like the results ijs. freaking adults get spoiled imho and when they do they expect it from everyone imho. be thankful for places like sannies but be thankfull for HD and other solid vendors too. different niche, prices. genetics etc.

hell, i don't order here anymore because i'm tired of getting seeds that don't seem fully mature and i don't have the luxury to grow them out when i get them. if i had germ issues sannie would deal with it no doubt. If you're selling seeds they should be dark or baby watermelons. if not and they are very light or immature sell them if you want but at a lower price with a disclaimer imho.

Yet, i rather start with seeds that look mature if i'm paying for them. saying wait until you pop them and see doesn't work for me. i haven't had the issue with anyone else except once. enough said so far as comparisons and what we think others should do.

well, i guess Peak will get the coin instead but they don't have the ones i was real horny for at HD. smdh

• Like 1

hell, i don't order here anymore because i'm tired of getting seeds that don't seem fully mature and i don't have the luxury to grow them out when i get them.

??????

• Like 1

It's a gamble, have never had an issue with HD and have been using them as long as I have Sannie (damn near a decade) and have had orders confiscated, but again I've had Sannies orders confiscated as well, actually more honestly. Sannie is super great, helps us all out more than he ought to honestly and I am greatful. With that, Brad has been great to work with over the years and the BeanHoarder I have ran has been a great way to get odd combos of genetics on the low.

I never spend more than I'm comfortable losing, assume it's going to get taken, and get hella stoked when it shows. It's illegal most places still, can I really get bent out when a hiccup gets hit? I know it sucks losing cash, but that's why I make more than one small order. Odds are they get through, if one is nipped no biggie.

I will add that I have had it take 30 days to 60 days to get orders from Canada. Takes for ever.

Don't even think of buying a Canadian instrument direct. Find a dealer, have it shipped to dealer and then either pick it up or have it shipped from the dealer. It went back and forth for 2 months. Sat at customs for a month and then took another 2 weeks.

My Status from England took 3 days...

• Like 3

It's called customer service. I owned and managed a full line high volume pet store and carried very exotic fish (salt and fresh water), Birds, reptiles and specialized in living reefs. I constantly had to replace lost live items that were no fault of mine (improper care on customer end), it's part of doing good business and all my vendors treated me the same way, if things came in dead they replaced it on the next order, if they didn't I no longer ordered with them and usually they were the first ones to go under.

• Like 1

some shops are able to do that because the seedmakers pay for the
replacement ;) (at sannie's shop the breeder pays for the re-send).

HD is a much bigger (so far very solid and legit) place, but
i doubt that every single seedmaker can be made to do this.
the shop is quite reliable, tho ...

i am very sorry that your seeds/money were lost, brother :( no one deserves this.
hit me up, snookster ... maybe i have some of the stuff that you were expecting (?)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

hell, i don't order here anymore because i'm tired of getting seeds that don't seem fully mature and i don't have the luxury to grow them out when i get them.

??????

Exactly. And a hearty WTF to go with your question marks.

Great feedback folks. Again, I am NOT dissing HD...I've placed numerous orders with them for many years. This is just my 1st time receiving a letter directly from Canadian Officials concerning my seeds being confiscated. Actually shook me up a bit. Just thought I would pass this on to the forum. And I totally get it that buying beans is a 50/50 proposition at best. YES...I knew in advance of their policy. I just wanted to share the info on the confiscation. Take it for what's it worth. Buy or don't buy it's totally up to you.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!

Snook

• Like 4

hell, i don't order here anymore because i'm tired of getting seeds that don't seem fully mature and i don't have the luxury to grow them out when i get them. if i had germ issues sannie would deal with it no doubt. If you're selling seeds they should be dark or baby watermelons. if not and they are very light or immature sell them if you want but at a lower price with a disclaimer imho.

I think you are mistaking with nice seeds and matured seeds, seeds can be mature but looking pale and without tiger print, every plant gives other seeds and not all of them will give baby water melons. Even some strains will not give big dark tigered seeds.

The seeds should be judged after germing and growing.

Quite pressent experience is that Herijuana seeds I just made are not looking as the water melon dark seeds but pop like hell and will give you healthy plants to grow, the Ouzbekistan from USC where the nicest seeds, big water melon brown with a nice print but have problems to get them above ground.

If there would be problems while germing or growing it is very easy to contact me and we will find a solution.

greetz sannie

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I think you are mistaking with nice seeds and matured seeds, seeds can be mature but looking pale and without tiger print, every plant gives other seeds and not all of them will give baby water melons. Even some strains will not give big dark tigered seeds.

The seeds should be judged after germing and growing.

Quite pressent experience is that Herijuana seeds I just made are not looking as the water melon dark seeds but pop like hell and will give you healthy plants to grow, the Ouzbekistan from USC where the nicest seeds, big water melon brown with a nice print but have problems to get them above ground.

If there would be problems while germing or growing it is very easy to contact me and we will find a solution.

greetz sannie

Yes Yes, In the 47 years I've been growing weed I've seen all shades, sizes and shapes, (not just weed seeds) and I never know what it's going to do until I try to germinate and then grow it out, especially my own seed. Sannie, in all the years that I've been buying seed from you I've had 100% germination rate on everything until Ouzbekistan, still I managed to get 8 out of 10 up, growing strong and if we had known that they are shielded in little tanks I would have gotten 10 out of 10.

Baq

• Like 1

We can't judge a seed bank in a bad light because they refuse to replace lost or stolen beans, especially when they state it clearly. Could take it up with Canadian Customs because that is where the problem lays, but none of us will do that.

An order will get taken from time to time and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it but either try again, switch banks (I assure you Chicago ganks more beans than Canada) or just stop trying.

We've been spoiled with Sannie and I'm greatful for that, but we can't hold other banks to the same treatment as Sannie, especially much larger banks with 6 times the choices of breeders. It's simply not sustainable.

This is in no way a customer service issue, not even in the slightest. It can be disagreed, but it's not an opinion. It's a reaction to a policy that is pretty legit if you consider what they are selling.

I'll end with, Brad is awesome and HD is a great place to get varieties you really can't find many other places if you can even find some of the gear other places.

Sorry if I seem crass but the customer service comments came off strongly as an attack and really arnt arguable because policy is policy and as a customer if they read made a conscious choice to do business with them fully well knowing said policy. Especially when business has been conducted in the passed. Just doesn't really add up as not being a bash on HD, more like opinions of scorn from a lost order.

It even got to the point of speaking about viability of seeds from here, which more often then not is germing error or ideas based souly on urban myth and folklore of germination. Hell most people drown the shit out of their seeds to begin with.

Sorry. I'm gonna lay dormant now, sorry if I upset anyone.

P.s. San, you are super rad. Offering to open your vault to make it easier for someone to get those beans. Way rad on you bro.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We can't judge a seed bank in a bad light because they refuse to replace lost or stolen beans, especially when they state it clearly. Could take it up with Canadian Customs because that is where the problem lays, but none of us will do that.

An order will get taken from time to time and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it but either try again, switch banks (I assure you Chicago ganks more beans than Canada) or just stop trying.

We've been spoiled with Sannie and I'm greatful for that, but we can't hold other banks to the same treatment as Sannie, especially much larger banks with 6 times the choices of breeders. It's simply not sustainable.

This is in no way a customer service issue, not even in the slightest. It can be disagreed, but it's not an opinion. It's a reaction to a policy that is pretty legit if you consider what they are selling.

I'll end with, Brad is awesome and HD is a great place to get varieties you really can't find many other places if you can even find some of the gear other places.

Sorry if I seem crass but the customer service comments came off strongly as an attack and really arnt arguable because policy is policy and as a customer if they read made a conscious choice to do business with them fully well knowing said policy. Especially when business has been conducted in the passed. Just doesn't really add up as not being a bash on HD, more like opinions of scorn from a lost order.

It even got to the point of speaking about viability of seeds from here, which more often then not is germing error or ideas based souly on urban myth and folklore of germination. Hell most people drown the shit out of their seeds to begin with.

Sorry. I'm gonna lay dormant now, sorry if I upset anyone.

P.s. San, you are super rad. Offering to open your vault to make it easier for someone to get those beans. Way rad on you bro.

I don't think you have upset anyone, everything you said is true and I agree due to flipping the coin in a illegal ship to certain areas and no it's not the seed banks fault, especially when it's stated in their policy. I only spoke of customer service because that's always the best business policy no matter the circumstances, the exception is the disclaimer, which I spoke before I read that, my bad.

The seed germ thing did get to me, because the complainer has never even tried to crack one from Sannie, I'll stand by my comment regarding.

Baq

• Like 1

Everyone who cracks Sannie and friends gear knows they pop :) I'm with you.

@wisecalyx

That's almost EXACTLY what I was thinking. Sannies customer service, in my experience, goes above and beyond that of many distributors.

I don't see anything wrong with a company sticking to their stated policy. BUT, on one occasion, I sent them an email regarding low viability. Pretty sure I left the package inside of my black mailbox for far too long on a hot sunny day and cooked them.

Anyway, he seemed very eager to help solve the issue. Not only did he ask about my process and how I generally get things popping, he also offered suggestions on how to improve the process AND replaced the full order with nearly no questions asked.

So I do believe, as somebody else mentioned, that it has a lot to do with the breeder and not necessarily HD itself. The order that was replaced, consisted entirely of beanho crosses. It seems to me, and please correct me if Im wrong because this is just an assumption, that Brad is the breeder behind beanho. Which would make it easier to send replacements, opposed to contacting another breeder such as gage green genetics (just an example) and explaining that the seeds which from what I understand are "fronted" (i.e breeder doesn't get paid for the seeds until the seed bank sells their seeds) didn't reach their destination or didn't germinate or whatever the situation... Anyway, I guess my point is that it may not always be so easy to get a breeder to agree to replace an order. That replacement is coming out of someone's pocket, and people tend to be reluctant to open those pockets.

Of course, I could be wrong. I may have just gotten lucky. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a once great seed bank go downhill (cannazon, anyone?). But, for now, I still wholeheartedly trust and support HD.

@snookster, I definitely didn't perceive this thread to be dissing HD at all. People deserve to know what they're in for and what risks they may be taking should they choose to place an order. Nothing wrong with that at all. Reading it on a forum first and choosing to take the risk is sooo much better than placing an order under the impression that lost orders will be replaced, only to find out "surprise! Order confiscated. Better luck next time"

I hope my long, rambling post makes sense. I am running on very little sleep and nothing but bacon, so the ol' brains working a bit slow today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1