•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Tread790

LED Variety by Tread

If you've been doing that kind of extreme defoliation with the SCROGS or SOGS you've been showing us, I think I'll strip one down like this, next grow.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Misterdirt said:

If you've been doing that kind of extreme defoliation with the SCROGS or SOGS you've been showing us, I think I'll strip one down like this, next grow.

The best example would be my Northern Lights/Rainmaker grow with the octos. Got some massive buds in that one. 

• Like 1

Blue God - Veg

84.7 F

52% RH

550 PPM

This may be the max nute concentration I’m gonna go in veg for this grow.  550-600 usually is pretty hot for an LED grow but this strain seems to like it in that range. BG appears to be an extremely hearty and resilient strain so I topped them one more time before I transplant into the 7 gal smartpots in about 2-3 days. I’m hoping that the extra space will allow them to bush out a bit more before we enter bloom. 

9155B4F8-E835-45CD-B5BB-452F55A07B2F.jpeg

• Like 4

Blue God - Veg

84.9 F

49.1% RH

550 PPM

Ended up transplanting into the 7 gal smartpots Sunday night and saw that the roots were circling the pot so my timing was right. Also went down to 4 plants and will be giving the 5th away to a grower buddy of mine.  Watered again today with 6L at 550 PPM and that appears to be where they like it. I forgot to mention that unlike my previous pot grows they are getting nutes with every watering instead of every other.  My octo grows made me question the purpose of the every other watering method since those roots sat in a nute solution 24/7.  My early findings are that these are some of the fastest growing and resilient veg plants I’ve ever had.  I’ve burnt, topped and defoliated the plants and they’ve recovered in less than 24 hrs every time. Now I’m expecting some serious bushing out in the next week or 2.

11CEE68A-3AE5-428F-8732-71F614A11F0B.jpeg

• Like 5

Blue God - Veg

85.5 F

45.9% RH

600 PPM 

Looked at the calendar and realized these plants are 4 weeks old. I feel like they’ve been growing for 2 months so I’m very pleased as to where they are.  After being in the smartpots for only a week they already have roots poking out the sides. I guess orca and RE are really doing the job and this is why they are my constants in any grow I do. I’m enjoying this manual pot grow because I feel a bit more engaged. As great as the octos are they make it almost too easy and it doesn’t seem as if ive done anything at the end of the grow. It’s nice to do it the old way on occasion. 

F1AE9093-F95E-44E9-8CAC-BF9E6F70243A.jpeg

• Like 4

84.8 F

44.7% RH

650 PPM

Looking at the size of these I think it’s a good idea to flip on Saturday.  Decided to use supercropping instead of more topping and they have responded well. All 4 are pretty bushy with good branching. 

0C8A407E-8A8D-4C48-B749-3701938B28FB.jpeg

• Like 4

I rarely top more than once. I use it more to increase branching and keep bud size manageable than for height control. Supercropping is better for me.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Misterdirt said:

I rarely top more than once. I use it more to increase branching and keep bud size manageable than for height control. Supercropping is better for me.

I think we’re on the same page with that. 

• Like 1

Blue God - Bloom Day 1

85.1 F

42.8% RH

650 PPM

Day 1 defoliation and flip done. Structure of the plants look good with a relatively even canopy. Won’t touch them for another 3 weeks. With coco and smartpots I’m watering almost every other day which is a good sign. No deficiencies are showing and all the ladies look good so let’s hope it continues. 

93D87481-6AF0-4F77-B1C8-E572ADF6ABF9.jpeg

• Like 5

Blue God - Bloom Day 5

85.4 F

52.3% RH

650 PPM

Four days after being plucked they now look as if they haven’t been touched. BG is shooting up the list as one the heartiest strains I’ve grown. Next watering I’ll be upping the PPM to the 700-750 range and will probably hang there for the duration. It’s taking me around 10 gal to get my 20% runoff just to ensure I don’t have any salt build up. I’m being far more serious about this than usual because I’m giving nutes every time. 

1003AD89-6BCD-403B-9991-9556F5AAC442.jpeg

• Like 2

Blue God - Bloom Day 8

84.1 F

52.7% RH

700 PPM

Looks like I did a decent job filling the space. Plants are in full stretch and I’m seeing some fairly explosive growth. Can’t complain about nothing going on here. 

EE3BBA87-DEF3-4B7A-AA15-ADB426212646.jpeg

5AB59D58-5976-4C33-96B3-7D054C4755DA.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Misterdirt said:

Who's Blue God is this? JOTI?

Yup. A buddy of mine has been on a pheno hunt for a while from their regular seeds. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Misterdirt said:

Surprisingly long, narrow leaves.

To be an almost pure indica it definitely is surprising. I feel better because every picture I found of this strain looks the same. 

• Like 1

Blue God - Bloom Day 13

86.1 F

51% RH

800 PPM

So it appears that I may have waited a week too long to flip because these plant are getting very big very fast. Stems are getting thick and the main stalks are almost silver dollar size. I keep upping the PPMs and I haven’t seen a single spot on these leaves. This is the fun of growing new strains cause you just never know how it’s going to go. This strain is a monster grower. I am seriously considering defoliating at 2 weeks instead of 3 because my light is at its max height. 

9D595EA2-1ED9-4F13-BDE0-04D0A02917F9.jpeg

0AB2F282-A6C1-44E5-8267-9E8081E2FAB6.jpeg

• Like 4

Blue God - Bloom Day 16

85.9 F

47.4% RH

800 PPM

Had no choice but to defoliate today and it took longer to do these 4 plants than my usual 6-8.  These ladies are big and were looking to outgrow the tent. Cleaned up the bottom 1/3rd and any horizontal growing branches and will be putting in a net shortly. Gonna try and spread em out a little bit with the net and won’t be touching them after that. 

44DC8DDC-B870-4FB0-88FD-CDC5FC4059F3.jpeg

1 hour ago, FoolOnTheHill said:

Why on earth did you do that?

Let em stretch much more and they’d end up too close to the light. Don’t want a tent full of bleached buds. My previous posts explains it. 

I would say that you were aggressive.

I offer generic advice and have not seen the rest of your grow.  I will try to look later but busy busy so take what I say now generically and apply if warranted and if not then just some rambling that won't hurt.

In future, plan out the grow.  I get that a person thinks they do but if you are surprised by the growth of a plant, you were not effective.

Select strains that will only work well with your grow area and environment.  I cannot stress this enough.  Some of the biggest plants I've seen came from a 400w hps setup that was perfect for the grow area and the environment.

My point, environment and correct genetics for the size you have = success.

Ok, now let's talk about caring for the plant 

Now, you seriously shocked the plant during a stage.  As a result you will only in part gain the outcome you wanted.

Essentially you gave the plant a serious injury to a  handicap.

The result will likely end up as the buds you were not looking for.

That said, not the end of the world.

Expect, fluffy buds than normal.  Your plants will try to make up it's loss of leaves and will do at the expense of making bud to make more leaf giving a higher than leaf to bud ratio. 

In addition, the plant may continue to stretch in order to gain enough light to the leaves it has remaining if it still needs but likely you will have stunted plants with looser and smaller buds.

Appreciate, the plant, natural and untouched will have about 30% more leaf than it needs.  This is to help ensure that as the plant grows and looses lead due to predators and environment that it can still function well.

You can further over time take about another 20% shaping and molding the plant but I do not recommend more.  This is saying, at the of the end the grow, your plant should still have 50% of it's leafs.  Generically spoken.

It is more about timing with plant stages to optimize growth for buds and care.

Things to do.

I would ensure that they get good environment, care and nutrition at each stage of development to come.

Think anti fungal.  Looser buds with stress are highly susceptible.  

Reduce NPK  1/4 until the plant shows it's coming out of stress.  Maybe 1 to 2 weeks.  Strong genetics can bounce back faster but the issues I stated remain.  If plant shows signs of low NPK slowly increase, not all at once.

Do not add in more nitrogen than normal for your stage.

Generically.

I would at this point out out a screen/net over it.  And make an even canopy so as many of the bud sites get as much light as appropriate.  Think scrog, screen of green.  You said this already.

In future, think of using bending techniques/lst, low stress training for high reaching plants.

Hope that helps, not end of world.  Great learning opportunity too.  This is how we learn and we all been in situations and positions we would rather not be in.  

You can still get good potency but expect low yield

I will do my best to watch your grow.

Hempyfan!!

1 hour ago, Hempyfan said:

I would say that you were aggressive.

I offer generic advice and have not seen the rest of your grow.  I will try to look later but busy busy so take what I say now generically and apply if warranted and if not then just some rambling that won't hurt.

In future, plan out the grow.  I get that a person thinks they do but if you are surprised by the growth of a plant, you were not effective.

Select strains that will only work well with your grow area and environment.  I cannot stress this enough.  Some of the biggest plants I've seen came from a 400w hps setup that was perfect for the grow area and the environment.

My point, environment and correct genetics for the size you have = success.

Ok, now let's talk about caring for the plant 

Now, you seriously shocked the plant during a stage.  As a result you will only in part gain the outcome you wanted.

Essentially you gave the plant a serious injury to a  handicap.

The result will likely end up as the buds you were not looking for.

That said, not the end of the world.

Expect, fluffy buds than normal.  Your plants will try to make up it's loss of leaves and will do at the expense of making bud to make more leaf giving a higher than leaf to bud ratio. 

In addition, the plant may continue to stretch in order to gain enough light to the leaves it has remaining if it still needs but likely you will have stunted plants with looser and smaller buds.

Appreciate, the plant, natural and untouched will have about 30% more leaf than it needs.  This is to help ensure that as the plant grows and looses lead due to predators and environment that it can still function well.

You can further over time take about another 20% shaping and molding the plant but I do not recommend more.  This is saying, at the of the end the grow, your plant should still have 50% of it's leafs.  Generically spoken.

It is more about timing with plant stages to optimize growth for buds and care.

Things to do.

I would ensure that they get good environment, care and nutrition at each stage of development to come.

Think anti fungal.  Looser buds with stress are highly susceptible.  

Reduce NPK  1/4 until the plant shows it's coming out of stress.  Maybe 1 to 2 weeks.  Strong genetics can bounce back faster but the issues I stated remain.  If plant shows signs of low NPK slowly increase, not all at once.

Do not add in more nitrogen than normal for your stage.

Generically.

I would at this point out out a screen/net over it.  And make an even canopy so as many of the bud sites get as much light as appropriate.  Think scrog, screen of green.  You said this already.

In future, think of using bending techniques/lst, low stress training for high reaching plants.

Hope that helps, not end of world.  Great learning opportunity too.  This is how we learn and we all been in situations and positions we would rather not be in.  

You can still get good potency but expect low yield

I will do my best to watch your grow.

Hempyfan!!

There really isn’t a way to plan a grow with a strain/phenotype you’ve never grown before. This was a first run and as a result you’re figuring out nutes and timing for next one where you can dial it in, which I’ve done several times in this thread. Im an experimenter at heart. As far as the defoliation is concerned I couldn’t disagree with you more and I have several grows in this thread that validate my methods. At worst I these were defoliated 5 days earlier than I would normally do it but I would still have been just as aggressive. I know the leaf vs no leaf argument is as old as grow forums but I would ask you to look at my previous grows and see the results of these methods. 

19 hours ago, Tread790 said:

I know the leaf vs no leaf argument is as old as grow forums but I would ask you to look at my previous grows and see the results of these methods. 

Do you know of any other cash crop where they do that?

I think it is counterproductive.

And your evidence is anecdotal.

1 hour ago, FoolOnTheHill said:

Do you know of any other cash crop where they do that?

I think it is counterproductive.

And your evidence is anecdotal.

15 years and dozens of strains is not anecdotal. I’ve used all kinds of different methods and I’ve found this one to be the most effective method for me. Look around and you’ll see there’s an entire community of people who use this method with great results also. I don’t criticize other’s methods mainly because I understand that there is more than one way to get things done. You not being comfortable doing something does not equal counterproductive. I wish you the best luck in whatever way you choose to do what you do.
Btw cotton is a cash crop that uses this method to great effect. 

On 1/24/2022 at 9:49 PM, Tread790 said:

cotton is a cash crop that uses this method to great effect. 

The defoliation of cotton aids the harvest of it. It is not used to grow more or better cotton. And defoliating cotton too early, harms the yield. It is done after a high percentage of the cotton balls have opened, using a chemical. That method has no relation at all to what you are doing.