•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Cannarie

Cannarie's Trees

Hello Everybody,

Ive got myself a little grow room of approximately 160x200cm, with 2 Gavita 750W DE hps lamps.

At the moment I'm at day 29 of flower, in the 2nd run I'm doing in here.

This time I've got 4 plants in a row. The idea was to grow em up high and light them at an angle from both sides. However I expected them to shoot up after switching to 12/12, but instead they went sideways. Probably because i was lighting them from the sides, so they just grew to where the light was. So now i cant use all my 825 Watts per lamp. Instead I could bring em up to 2 x 720 last week, after fiddling with the positioning of the lamps a bit.

Just like my last run I'm growing "the Ultimate", which is a very hungry strain. Last run the leaves turned yellow really early on, because of an error I made. But now after being on an EC of 2.2 for a couple of weeks, As you can see, theres also some yellowing starting to come through the canopy. Not nearly as bad as last run though. I went to EC 2.3 yesterday but want to get to around 2.5 quickly. The plants now drink about 3 liters per plant, per day.

I grow in 50% coco/ 50% peat, and use base nutrients from atami supplemented with additives from Aptus.

Im always happy to here advise from anybody. Just keep in mind that im one stubborn SOB ;)

Only this pic is from last thursday

large.20180412_205912.jpg.90808e3bfa8e79970cd484f7dbeb407a.jpg

I was afraid the fan this high up, would lead to still air down below so i placed an olf little fan yesterday20180416_090222.thumb.jpg.b0708ec55213db8784980ff95e5470bd.jpg

20180416_090137.thumb.jpg.e0b47f2461ea1f7942208dccb0b1992f.jpgd

the biggest bud of the bunch

20180416_090128.thumb.jpg.7462518038aaedaae0bbd3197ebedad7.jpg

Here you see the yellow coming through

20180416_090152.thumb.jpg.5143663172e3bd0e5da9f5497eecd5bf.jpg

This little autoflower is just along for the ride. Its already 5 weeks old, so as you can see its had some startup problems. Unlike the rest this one is in 100% coco.

20180415_205920.jpg

• Like 8

Do you ever strip back some of the fan leaves? JMO, but I would strip her just a bit :) Looking nice

Love the little baby auto in there, I put mine in to sex like that, with the flowering gals.

• Like 2

Thanks guys!

All I did was remove some branches that weren't going to reach any light.

Other that that i dont really defoliate, because first of all there a lot of discussion whether its actually beneficial. Secondly because i had a hard time keeping them green last run. So before Ive completely got my feeding down, I'ts nice to have the buffer of the extra leaves. Also, I expected to have more upward stretch, which would have given me some more light penetration.

• Like 2

I lollipop the crap out of them and take a bit of those fan leaves off. Yea that is one of "our" big debates our here isn't it :) I am no expert but I know from my plants when I get rid some of those, I always pull more bud. Of course we want our plants to feed the bud and leaving enough leaf to do so. But are we growing leaves or bud, that is always what I come down to. That sounds smart and not trying to be, just my way of thinking. 

I know outdoors, on my peonies, if I leave all the bud on there, I get a lot of small flowers, if I pinch about a third off, the flowers left are huge. I feel the same way with our leaves, if we leave them all on, the plant energy has to go to all the leaves, less leaves, less to feed, and more energy from leaves left to feed the bud. Just my thoughts :)

• Like 1

Its something to experiment with in the future.

1 hour ago, Gardener said:

How long did you veg those plants before 12/12?

Sorry dude, forgot to answer you. I vegged for 6 weeks. Probably could've cut some days off of that, if i didn't go on vacation exactly during the week it got extraordinarily cold out here.

• Like 1

Well, aside from the yellowing down below, the color seems fine to me. (The color in the closeup shots is always a bit lighter because of the reflection of the camera. I'm just wondering a bit whether to crank up the base nutrients first or just the Ca/Mg to combat the yellowing. 

• Like 2

Lovely grow!! Welcome to OG!!

IMHO when I see yellowing in that stage, it's normal, to my way of thinking. No disrespect meant at all!!

I do defoliate, at certain times only and not all willy nilly like. What I see on my girls, is the first leaf to yellow are the main stalk fans. Their only purpose is to provide a starch storeage system to give the starches back to the plant * if their nutrient levels fall to low from getting goodies up through the root system*. Since we are the food providers for indoor cultivation practices, we know that is not going to happen.

So as the 3rd week of flower comes towards the end, I start to see stalk fans yellow. Yellow leaf is doing nothing but being useless, and off they come on my girls.

About 6th week, the yellowing will start to work up the branches from the main stalk,  with the biggest leaf usually giving up it's color, and off they come.

I do myself, for the most part never remove green viable leaf....it may happen, but I have no desire to remove them.

Great skills Cannarie, great grow show!!

• Like 1

Thanks man! No disrespect taken whatsoever! With me you can never be too direct ;)

Good to hear you say you think this level of yellowing is normal in this stage. Maybe Im just a little traumatized from my last grow where it was getting yellow at a really rapid pace in the beginning of week 4, after mistakenly lowering the nutrients. But its nowhere near that right now, so im not going to do anything crazy just yet 

I do like your reasoning when it comes to defoliation 

• Like 1

Same here, when I see the leaves all starting to yellow, I get worried, paranoid. Then the members on here and remind me it's normal. We have to remember, we are attempting to duplicate the seasons for our plant growth, and have to remember, "Fall" leaves change colors and fall off. 

• Like 2

I wanted to show pics of my current and last grow on the same day on the other forum to prove a point, but its broke so i cant upload pics there. I'll just upload them here, so I can post it there. But you're free to enjoy em too :P

20180419_210047.thumb.jpg.386f63b0dc97d735eb7b7587e9f00bf8.jpg20180119_205818.thumb.jpg.87c0b9c028936062eb3eddac7bac3304.jpg

• Like 5

The buds are building nicely but i think the yellowing out starting from below is a nutriment deficiency you can prevent if you increase the Ec. 

• Like 2

Actually Hamme, I believe you were one of the many people who said during my last run, that I was already very (too) high in my EC :P But now that I got it higher this round the difference is as you can see, significant. I do think however, that I'm a little on the high side now. Im on EC 2.4 and the plants seem to struggle evaporating a bit here and there. But the yellowness still does seem to spread a little (cant see this on the pic). Although I'm aware that a bit of yellow is not a big problem, I do get the feeling that the ratio of the different nutrients can be improved. I'm just not sure yet how

Thanks Web, comparing the two rounds I'm actually not all that pleased. Sure, the color looks better, but I feel like its still going to underperform in terms of weight a little bit. You have to realise that I'm now  using just a little over half the surface, compared to then. I am however, really excited to see how big those two biggest colas in the middle are going to get. Ive got a feeling they'll get huge :)

• Like 2

What i see based on the last picture is plants suffering from a nutriment deficiency, but if you already give Ec 2.4 than i would suspect the pH is not optimal. Neither do i think the yellowing out is a problem, cause the buds are looking awesome!  

I already had a feeling that was the misunderstanding, because that last picture is my previous grow on the same day as my current grow (first pic)

Week 6, day 1

5 to 6 more weeks to go.

left
20180423_090104.thumb.jpg.f3c198b6f6452c71a403cdf2185ef17f.jpg

right
20180423_090054.thumb.jpg.8e8f48246cbc0f6ccc29567f2bbf3cb8.jpg

side
20180423_090207.thumb.jpg.70de21fce3c03e2016d39edd7a5a8f18.jpg

As you can see the yellowing is primarily in the 2nd plant from te right, which also happens to have the biggest buds. I don't feel like feeding them separately so i have to middle the nute strength a bit.

• Like 7

5-6 weeks left! What are you growing in there, monsters?!

:P Looks great man. I'm always impressed by such a well organized grow. And jealous... (do you have any kids taking up all your free time? :P)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Damar said:

5-6 weeks left! What are you growing in there, monsters?!

Well, yeah thats pretty much the idea :P Actually, the breeder of these seeds describes this strain to specifically have an explosive growth in the last two weeks. Honestly didnt really notice this in previous rounds, though. But some of these buds should become my biggest to have ever grown. Because of the way I'm having the lights at an angle now, I shine 1440 Watts of light on about 2 m2 (21.5 ft2) of canopy.

Im not sure I'm particularly well organized, but all in all this does take up a lot of my time. Thats why my wife isn't to pleased with my hobby, but fortunately my little boy is still to young to understand I neglect my family :P

• Like 1

not sure I like the idea of the lights at an angle.  It is more about the environment and a better option may be several smaller wattage lights with better coverage.  In the end, if it is not broke, dont fix it!

You will have a very nice harvest.  11-12 week strain it seems.  Keep on keepin on!

• Like 1

I'm still not sure yet either :)

I do want to try it at least one another time, but in stead use a strain that grows up high a little easier. the ideal footprint of these Gavitas is 100x150 cm, so with the dimensions of my grow room, and with the right shaped "plant wall", I should be able to efficiently use most of that light.

Benefits I was going  for with this system were to cut some veg time, to have more light penetration, to have the plants more accessible and last but not least to have prettier plants with bigger buds.

Plus, for me the most fun is in planning the grows. So I tend to change things up basically every grow. Or maybe that's just because I'm kinda impulsive :)

According to the breeder its a 8-10 week strain, but in my experience it should be at least 10.