•           ai.php.gif

Gorilla Mike

My New Mission Quest and an S.O.S

I am a pro grower and want to see how my fellow growers are dealing with the ramifications of the Jeff Sessions issue and sharing my own special growing and harvesting techniques. When I was learning to grow 30 years ago, pure learning was my biggest thrill in growing. (Besides smoking my finished Buds!) I keep learning and applying all the latest science in growing bigger better Buds but now my new mission is learning how to streamline my harvest techniques. And along with that, I’m on a quest to find the perfect automated trimming machine!

With over 2500 plants at anyone time (and that number just keeps on growing!) production used to go smoothly because my grower gang simply switched over to hand-trimming after harvest and drying. But when the new automated bladed trimming machines came on the market I bought a pair to open up the bottleneck hand-trimming created. They weren’t cheap and for the first year, when they were running great my growers/hand-trimmers switched over to operate the machines and there was no bottleneck.

But then these expensive little bastards would break down even after regular maintenance pit-stops and we were back to the bottleneck situation. I’d just buy another pair of bladed trimmer from another brand while my originals where sent back to the factory for repair to get us out of the bottleneck. But that routine was getting to be an expensive pain in the ass. After a year the new machines would break down and right on cue a new brand of bladed trimmer would jump on the market and I’d buy that pair to replace the broke-down ones.

These things were supposed to be saving me time and money but they were making me spend more! That’s why my new mission and quest in life is to find the perfect automated trimming machine that don’t breakdown after the first year. Now, I believe I’ve tried every EVERY bladed trimmer on the market and I’m still not happy with their performance...Anybody got any suggestions?

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

I haven't seen any posts on other forums that would recommend an especially good trimmer for your operations.

I wasn't sure why a Canadian would care much about Jeff Sessions but I guess execution is an attention-getter:

https://www.thecannabist.co/2018/03/22/jeff-sessions-marijuana-death-penalty/102131/

Update from last month: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/editorials/sd-trump-sessions-marijuana-20180416-story.html

• Like 1

Welcome to opengrow, Mike. I have never seen an automatic trimming system, that worked on long distance. The " good" ones left the market and those who stayed, don´t show  nice buds at the end or worked for one season . Good luck with your hunt!

I didn´t know the name Jeff Sessions. Living in Europe , I couldn´t care less, honestly.

smile

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, gardenartus said:

I don't mean to be rude, but this post strikes me wrong.

I'm curious to know why.

2 minutes ago, Gardener said:

I'm curious to know why.

The over all post, new person to this board, first post, it is an odd post to me.

• Like 1

Oh, I said to myself: Self, don´t be rude to gardenartus. Nice person, old member. Luckily I´m not a native speaker, I miss a lot of undertones, that others may hear.

Remember your own first post. Normally you lurk around and than you decide to sign in and after a while you post "for the very first time" . I took it seriously and even posted personal stuff.

Mike did the same. As a "pro", he deals with problems, most of us don´t deal with. I remember, a lot of discussions during the nineties/early2000s about growing and trimming methods. Many people tried to make money and used to bring up sophisticated, advanced techniques to the public..... and you never heard of them again. Example?

Rotating grow systems around one or two lights. Anounced as THE revolutionary step forward and promoted heavily, it´s a niche product in 2018.

Prohibitional national laws / state decisions are cannabis related politics and have their place at opengrow. Following this complicated matter in a foreign language and in a country, which is not mine and faraway is absurd and fun, normally.There´s a small chance that american politicians are even more nuts than europeans.

smile

• Like 2

Sessions is a problem but if states rights are going to be respected than its good.

Get an army of these https://www.htgsupply.com/products/spin-and-trim

Have hand trimmers finish, it will save time but also lots work messing with those trimmers.  No matter what, its gonna be work.

• Like 1

Seriously for a grow of 2500 plants or more, I would think the automated would be a better choice, those large ones. Seems you could find a reliable one, and just replace blades on it or other parts. If the company makes them like that? Or a company I should say, replacement parts? Have the blades on hand or is it a part that you could replace yourself? and replace on a regular schedule, like we do bulbs.

• Like 1

Twister  T4 seems to do a good job haven’t ran those numbers ! fast and basically trouble free doing 6 hrs with 1 cleaning and a single adjustment of the blades ,no complaints does a nice job of wet trimming and minimal shake ! Lots of options,tables ,conveyors,dry trimmer blade ,you can even hook 2 or 3 in series to speed things up,ear plugs optional .lol 

• Like 3

Sessions is a republican, if we just throw money at him he will see the light. 

What kind of space are you hanging whole plants in while they await trimming.  

If you have the space and can control it, you could have a staged drying system where whole plants hang for the usual two or three then a more humidor like space, perhaps even nitrogen storage like apple growers use so the plants can sit there waiting till your crew has the time to trim, and only hand trim.

The idea is that the large space is used as a harvest buffer like a room sized turkey bag with a bovida pack in it. 

Any product trimmed ahead of orders can then be stored as inventory for use later on in a smaller space holding the dry screens or turkey bags or whatever.  

This way the crew can be trimming a little all the time as available, and not be burned out on it while they are working.

• Like 1