•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Justcozz

PAX Original Portable Vaporizer review

A while back, a friend of mine told me they knew the wife of a PAX sales rep. I said I was interested in a dry herb vape. I asked if maybe they had a demo model I could try before biting the bullet and dropping a couple of hundred dollars on one. My friend talked with her friend and it turned out they had an "older model" that they would give me. SWEET..... 

About a week ago, it was delivered. A brand new, never opened PAX Original. VERY SWEET! 

First, you should know I have very little experience with vaporizers. As someone who smokes cigarettes, I have used a "BLU" vaporizer to help me quite smoking. I was not impressed. They taste wasn't bad, but it had a very hard draw, and was too heavy to hold like a regular cigarette. It ended up in a drawer and I haven't seen it in about 5 years. 

As far as using a vape for weed, I have tried a couple of disposable vape pens purchased from a dispensary. Can't remember the brands, but they were not bad. Decent taste and they did the job. Small, discrete, and a decent draw. Way better than the "BLU" I tossed in the drawer.

Now the PAX review.

Upon opening the box, I was pleasantly surprised. The PAX is very light and a nice sleek design. It comes with a wall charger and a cleaning kit. To charge the PAX, just flip it upside down and set it on the charger. The led lights let you know it's doing its thing. Like most things, the light turns green when it is fully charged. I read the manual, very simple instruction. Press the retractable mouth piece, it pops out and starts heating the oven. Push it back in, and the device turns off.  To fill, flip the PAX upside down. Remove the magnetic oven cover, fill with dry ground bud, pack it down and put the cover back on. I put about .25 g in it.

It has 3 heat settings. To set it, remove the mouth piece. There is a small led light/button inside. Press it and the led light on the outside will glow to let you know what heat setting it is on.    Yellow= low   Orange= medium  Red= high   Replace the mouthpiece and it's ready to use.

From power up, it takes about 35 sec, 50 sec and 65 secs depending on the heat setting selected, for the oven to reach temp, displayed by outside led glowing green. 

Ok here are some pics. 

Size comparison, 

PAX Original, lighter and SiFi Blaze#11

IMG_1684.thumb.JPG.6998bdd37d67b19902b7135df4389f3c.JPG

With the mouthpiece open and actively heating up. Once it reaches temp, the led changes to green.

IMG_1685.thumb.JPG.335b5c413c4e7d0bb16288d575817894.JPG

here is the oven. Just fill it, pack it, smoke it.IMG_1687.thumb.JPG.cc195064d04323f47acf679231d1ec37.JPG

How did it work?

each test I took three 6 second hits.

The first test was with some dry SiFi Blaze with a heat setting on high. The draw was a little harder than expected, but not bad. Probably similar to the "BLU" e-cigarette, but the mouthpiece makes it pull much smoother. I did about a 6 second draw. The taste was very similar as smoking the same strain from a joint, but with a roasted flavor. Very similar to the smell of decarbing bud before making oil. The exhale is where to toasted flavor is mostly noticeable. But overall, I think it is smoother going down than from a joint. The PAX doesn't give huge clouds of vapor.. Off of a 6 second draw, it is comparable to a drag off of a joint. 

The second test, I tried the medium heat setting. I used the same weed already in the oven from the first test.  It was much smoother, and less roasted flavor. The vape cloud was lighter also. I didn't really notice the difference in the high from the first test.

The 3rd test. I tried it on the low heat setting. There is a much bigger difference than the medium. The taste was nice and smoother, but it seamed like I had to really draw on it to feel like I got a full hit. Closer to 10 seconds. Upon exhale, the vapor was almost unnoticeable. The high off of 3 hits was noticeably less that the other two settings. Maybe another hit or two would have put me on the same journey.

I used the same .25 g of bud for all 3 tests and there was still some left over when done. So 9 solid hits and there is about half left in the oven. I think for me, I will get an average of 20-25 hits per fill. Another great thing, is after you turn it off and it cools, there is virtually no smell. Even with weed still in the oven, you cannot smell it.  After the initial charge, I have not charges it all week. Battery still has a good charge.

So, all and all, I am pretty happy with it. It was free, and you can't beat free. But I think if I would have bought it, about $200, I'd still be satisfied. I will keep this thing with me for those "guess I'll take a toke" moments. I am also considering the PAX 3, which can be used with dry herb and oil. 

• Like 7

Thanks for the review 

very nicely done 

i have cheaper ones always was interested in this one 

• Like 2

Wow! That cost 200! Wow! I like that unit and the size but holy that puts it out of my price range. The heat on that sure makes a difference, that burnt taste is such a turn off. I've had a few, and found the mid 300 temp was about right on the ones I tried.

You scored! :)

• Like 1

Hey justcozz. I have an original Pax and you must clean it regularly to keep it running smooth.  Here's a link for cleaning tips. 

https://www.paxvapor.com/support/pax-cleaning/

I have found if you take your first hit at low temp you get great flavor. Also, if you pack it too tight your draw will be tight.  You can also modify a screen to fit in the oven so you don't have to use a full load.  Fuckcombustion.com is a great source of info.  

I slipped a silicone tube over the mouth piece and the other end over a one hitter for use with a bubbler.

• Like 1

I started out with the original Pax.  It came with a five or ten year warranty.  I now possess a broken replacement for the first.  I need to follow up on that warranty.  Gimme another!  

In the mean time, I bought the newer Pax II.  Not the newest.  But a better design.  Cleaning the new one is much simpler than cleaning the old. The Pax you have is great.  But there are better versions now.

Cool review, thank you for that JC

2 hours ago, Shoeless said:

Hey justcozz. I have an original Pax and you must clean it regularly to keep it running smooth.  Here's a link for cleaning tips. 

https://www.paxvapor.com/support/pax-cleaning/

I have found if you take your first hit at low temp you get great flavor. Also, if you pack it too tight your draw will be tight.  You can also modify a screen to fit in the oven so you don't have to use a full load.  Fuckcombustion.com is a great source of info.  

I slipped a silicone tube over the mouth piece and the other end over a one hitter for use with a bubbler.

Hey shoe, yes, I've noticed lower temps do give off better flavor. I haven't finished the first pack yet. But plan on cleaning between every reload. Thanks bro.

1 hour ago, Gardener said:

I started out with the original Pax.  It came with a five or ten year warranty.  I now possess a broken replacement for the first.  I need to follow up on that warranty.  Gimme another!  

In the mean time, I bought the newer Pax II.  Not the newest.  But a better design.  Cleaning the new one is much simpler than cleaning the old. The Pax you have is great.  But there are better versions now.

Thanks for the info. I was planning on buying the PAX3. I like the idea of it being capable of using dry herb or oil.  The very newest model is the PAX Era, designed for concentrates only. 

I picked up some oil at a dispensary the other day. Made by W Vapes. It comes pre filled with oil, its refillable.. it's a mouthpiece and coil $40. Then the rechargeable battery purchase was an additional $10.  The bud tender said it was pretty impressive for the price so I figured I'd try it. So far, I think I like the PAX better. I bought a few different oils, I've tried the AK-47 and Blueberry oils. The W Vapes pen makes them taste identical. Also harsh on the lungs. The PAX with dry herb is much smoother. 

If any of you have tried the W Vapes, let me know what you think of it. Since I've only tried a few Vapes, it would be nice to here what others consider good.

Here is a pic of the W Vapes pen.

IMG_1705.thumb.JPG.60ca812577e63b4c9663bfe479bd9d1c.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Le rat said:

In Switzerland the PAX is 10 years warranties!!

Same here. But I've seen some mixed reviews with customer service on getting them fixed/replaced. But then again, I've seen some reviews for complaints on how hard they are to clean. Lol, takes literally less than 5 minutes with some 91% alcohol , pipe cleaner and a Q-tip. 

So far, I have no complaints. 

• Like 1

Thought I’d update this. The PAX original somehow got stuck closed and I can’t open it. I really liked using it, but without being able to turn it on and use it, it’s as useful ass a rock. Well, a pretty rock. But it was free, so I can’t wine.

So I tased with my friend and she talked with the PAX Rep that she knows. The rep said toss the old one in the trash, and look what I have...a brand new PAX 3. Uses dry herb as well as concentrate. Woot woot. I love free shit....especially $300 free shit.

Im out of town today, but will give it a try tonight and let you know what I think of it.

CF44B118-802F-430D-8FB3-0E5B91AD864C.thumb.jpeg.394c0cb661d7087c5a61475ef22baaca.jpeg

• Like 1

I figured you and I would have a similar take on this thing. I bought mine in Colorado while on trip, to use at "Red Rocks" , a tourist spot, without drawing any attention.

Same as yours, the 3 with all the accessories. I pretty much hated it, threw it in the bottom of my suitcase, and chalked it up to a few 100 bucks down the drain.

I have used it a few times, each time still not caring for it.  Saw this post just now, thought I would pull it out 1 more time and give it another try.

Just burning Bud with it, NO DESIRE to put rosin in it, do not hit rosin out in public.  I remember it always tasting nasty.

Pull it out, been sitting for at least 6 months, battery is still fully charged. Look inside it, like new, little use, I must have cleaned it when I put it up.

DSC00001.thumb.JPG.c00709b138702584963bd8a632545618.JPG

So I pull out my stinkiest bud, grind some up, fill it JUST RIGHT.....lol....not too tight, not too loose. This bud would make everyone within a 50 foot radius of it outside turn n look, lol!

You know it has 4 temp settings. I set it on number 1 of 4. Suck hard for like 8 seconds. Could not really feel it, did not think I was getting a hit, but blew out a good cloud. DID NOT taste like the bud, maybe a TINY bit of it, but has this under lying "nasty" burnt like taste to me. You call it toasted, to me it's burnt. I thought, being off cigarettes now for 4 months, the vape might appeal to me more. It sort of tastes like when the "coil" in the vape pen goes bad, and has to be replaced. Not a clean taste, not something I like.

So....................crank it up just now to 2 of 4. Pull 8 hard seconds................much better taste, SORT OF like the bud, sort of, lol, but still this burnt nastiness to it under neath.

Here goes 3 of 4. Hard pull for 8 seconds or so..........................WOW...............my friggin head is spinning...................lol!  Mouth piece warm at that setting, really nice "cloud" of smoke blown out, HUGE head rush!!!

So, it certainly does not lessen the high..................holy mother Im blasted...............lol....................but it still tasted like CRAP compared to bud in a joint or clean pipe.  Maybe mine is so fresh it is not seasoned in................not sure if that makes a difference.  It does not taste like the bud to me, and it's going back on the shelf whence it came from......................

I still do not care for it. Yeah it's tiny. cool looking, self contained and stealthy, but then again, so is a joint these days    :)

If you want a backup Pax 3, Ill trade it, in the box, all the stuff, for 2 DH cuts of my choosing...........................you BASTAGE........................got me looking at that place with all it's nice genetic's and crazy cross's..............................there would be a grooved trail between my house and that damn place..................................  LMAO!!!!

Peace,

Jet

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Very similar to the smell of decarbing bud before making oil. The exhale is where to toasted flavor is mostly noticeable

AH HA!!!!!! That is EXACTLY IT!!! What I smell/taste when I smoke it. KNEW I knew it, but could not place it...............then read that above in your post...................BINGO!!!

That is exactly the taste I am trying to describe, and yes, on the exhale for sure.  Smells n tastes like your head is in an oven with a lb of bud de carbing................which stinks up the whole house and smells like something was burnt...................................while wet n green. That is the taste I get, does not matter what I put in the bowl.

Offer to trade was for real, even 2 smallest DH bitch's...........................   got my eye's on 2 of them     :smoke

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That’s some funny shit. To definitely gives smoother hits than anything else I’ve tried.  Almost like you are not getting anything. But you will surely know three 8 sec hits is quite a bit. Lol

Hahaha, yep decarbed bud. That’s the taste. It actually doesn’t bother me. Your weed may be too wet. I’ve noticed total dry worked best in the original Pax for retaining the flavor. Also, half filled oven has a better weed flavor IMO. 

So you have not tried rosin in it yet. That’s what I really wanted to try in it, concentrates. I think I will try some dry sift first, I should have plenty in the bottom of the grinder. I also have some oil to put into it. 

I will be sure to let you know how I like it. And you are going to get a few cuts, just have to let the girls grow a bit more before starting to chop on them.

50 minutes ago, Justcozz said:

That’s some funny shit. To definitely gives smoother hits than anything else I’ve tried.  Almost like you are not getting anything. But you will surely know three 8 sec hits is quite a bit. Lol

Hahaha, yep decarbed bud. That’s the taste. It actually doesn’t bother me. Your weed may be too wet. I’ve noticed total dry worked best in the original Pax for retaining the flavor. Also, half filled oven has a better weed flavor IMO. 

So you have not tried rosin in it yet. That’s what I really wanted to try in it, concentrates. I think I will try some dry sift first, I should have plenty in the bottom of the grinder. I also have some oil to put into it. 

I will be sure to let you know how I like it. And you are going to get a few cuts, just have to let the girls grow a bit more before starting to chop on them.

The "Pink" is going to be a feature around here, can just tell. Dying to have it, like a kid for a new toy....................

Yeah, that taste just bothers me...............the smell too.............like Im smoking some K.S. ditch weed that has PM and was washed then never dried.........................LOL

MAKE MY CHUCKY'S BRIDE taste like ditch weed.......................OH HELL NO....................it's gotta go!!!!!

• Haha 1

PAX 3................Hell, the PAX 27.5...................................aint gonna taste like this.............2grams Goji, Chucky, C99, bubble hash, dash of kief.

Let the game begin

DSC00002.JPG

• Like 1

I have a ridiculously expensive, hand-held vape on it's way (I think).

I ordered it on Friday and chose 2-day delivery. I expected it yesterday.

When I got back from a day in the field — no vape. I sent them an email and the stoners said it's going out today (yesterday). I guess 2-day means they'll get around to shipping it out in a couple of days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok, I just put some of my oil into the vape to see how well it does concentrates. Guess I should have taken a pic, but oh well. 

I put a decent amount into it, it’s the same stuff from when I tried out my new bong to do dabs. Anyways, because it didn’t get me very high, I figured I could put more in than I needed.....lol, and I don’t have to smoke it all, right? Holy Shiiiit, I am Fooking high. Three medium 6 sec. hits and I am tore back. Screw having a dab rig, this is way easier and convenient.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1