•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Hi all 

for the past 2 grows my males all die 

I treat them all the same as my ladies but the boys don’t survive 

i do leave them in a 5” x 5” pot 

i keepthem small and I have never had this happen before 

thinking I may have over watered them I let it dry out and once watered it got worse 

I use a t 5 for the small tent and something called a trek light which is a u shaped fluorescent bulb for the life cycle of the males and again I’ve grown plants like this without any issues 

realy don’t understand I have to be overlooking something but can’t put my finger in it 

any comments or suggestions would be helpful 

here’s a picture 

8B0E5AB5-9966-4920-8D40-CC229C3AB698.jpeg

Damn bro, that's no good at all. Kind of look s to me like it got way too dry and then over watered but not enough to rehydrate the center of the root ball. I would bet the center of the root ball is still super dry after you water. Try pulling it out of the pot and removing the soil down to the root ball. If it is hard and dry, soak in a gallon of water with a drop of super thrive for 5-10 minutes. Then transplant it into some damp soil. Let that new soil absorb the excess water. Just might work. Good luck bro.

When I keep my males, I put them in a window sill during the day in a solo cup.  Move them to a closet for lights out. I don't give them nutes, just little water every other day. I actually use a 2L soda bottle with 5 holes melted into the lid with a hot paper clip. Fill it with water, point and squeeze for ten seconds. 

Hope you get it figured out. 

EDIT..I was just thinking. It very well could be that the light you are using isn't good enough. If the root ball is still damp...id try a different light.

• Like 3

Seems like it is not getting water, if your ladies are in the same soil must be OK< but would think maybe soil too compact? Have you tried using a humidity dome?

That's what a severly dehydrated plant looks like. .. it's not just dry or under watered, it's most likely got a dry center in its rootball. 

From the pic, it looks like it may be too far gone to save and become healthy again, but I could be wrong... plants are pretty damn resilient and they've proven me wrong before.

The easiest way to rehydrate the soil and middle of the rootball is to set the container in a saucer, of some kind, full of water. Leave the container in the saucer full of water and the soil will slowly remoisten itself through capillary action. Once the soil is moist again, set the container in a dry saucer and any excess water will drain out.

Letting the soil dry out between waterings is good practice, however, don't let it go so long that the soil shrinks away from the sides of the container... that's way too dry and can damage the roots.

• Like 2

Thanks guys 

this one was to far gone so I know better for nex time 

lost some good males but all my fault 

i was not being a good gardener 

thanks anain to all 

• Like 2

Paps, you weren't trying to do all of that without smoking first, were you? That could be it. 

roll 'em big and show 'em who's boss!  :D

peacde

mrG

• Like 3

The last male is getting better 

I always have a tendency to neglect the boys 

thanks to all 

mr goodfellow maybe not high enough bro i always wage and bake and kind of stay there all day 

B)

• Like 1

@DesertGrown gave best the explanation, once they dehydrate to far it's near impossible to bring back, I've had some success by the capillary method with a plastic bag over them for a couple days to increase the humidity. biggest mistake is overwatering after under watering, they usually say fuk it and shut down.

Baq

• Like 3

Yep, too much stress on both ends. It's amazing that you can almost train them to make it on almost no water or thin waterings in general. I let a couple of males go in 1 gal plants and basically ignored them until they were drooping. Then I would give them just enough and they would go for a while. Both being about 4-5 feet tall. ha.

peace

mrG

The better you treat them the more pollen you will get. I run em just like the females.

Baq

• Like 2

I would do humidity domes or foliar feed next set. It is odd that has not happened before and is just doing it now.

u said it yourself you neglect them so STOP  as long as your medium has good aeration you should never have an issue with dry root balls etc etc. u want them looking like they ready to fight they are so healthy, the kind that piss you off that it turned out to be a male. those are the ones to look for and if they have sugar on them all the better. imho

I got  to run, will try to write on this later today.

I see some fundamental things to go over.  Looks like I will be seconding Desert!

• Like 1

ok, im on cell so forgive any oddity.

going to dry and then wet is unwise.  as desert said you can get dry spots as rehydrate is more difficult.  leaving water in bottom to wick up is good.

what you did was stress and harmed the plant and media environment and life.  additional making a  cycle hard to recover.

will write more later.

ok, when it goes dry and watered the plant will strongly uptake at same time and due to situation the nutrients are likely concentrated so the plant will potentially uptake in unwanted ratio and volume.  

in soil i would be sure to add more microbes.

if typically your having an issue keeping them correctly I would put in larger container.

• Like 4

Hi all in OG land 

yes learned my lesson I take better care of the ladies then I do the boys lol 

I really believe I need to up pot but never had to before so that said it was purely negligence on my part 

lesson learned 

hi Gardenartist thanks :D

• Like 4

Sorry to take so long to add my blahblahblah, I've been crazy busy....however your plant pic, has been rolling around in my minds eye.

Once a plant starts, to either bud or make seed, their food needs increase  a good bit. Maybe missing a watering/food time, the medium dries, food is farther cut off, the plant it's self becomes the food source. Yeah he is dry, but he is also hungry looking to my old eyes anyway.

The only other advice I can give, is to wash out all your 5" pots in a bleach solution, or if chlorine is not a product you use, pool shock (super cheap) is also a great disinfectant.

I once went on a 2-3 month killing spree, trying to clone a few plants. Something we can all do blindfolded by now. I could not get a cut2clone no matter what I tried. When I was whining to my mentor about it, he asked me when was the last cleaning of the cloning stuff I use. I told him, I did not much do that. So being an over kill kind of meathead, I found a quart of 28% H2O2, (this is TRULY scary shit) and mixed up a strong solution about 8-10% and with gloves and all that jazz, washed everything.

I went right back to about a 90% success rate, and cleaning my trays is part of my cycle now. But a standard 3% hydrogen peroxide you get from the store works a treat also,and like I said above, bleach, pool shock too.

Best to ya!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2