•           ai.php.gif

iGrow420710

When is day 1 , day 1 ?

It depends on what you are keeping track of. As far as just germination, day one for me is the day I put the seed in dirt. I do soak my seeds, but I only keep track of the hours until I see a tap root starting. I start again when I see them break soil, then it's day 1 of veg. I also keep track of flower by the day I flip the lights, and the day pistils show.  Many only count the days after pistils show, but I like to keep track of both. That way I know how much difference the veg time has on each strain. 

For example. My last grow with Killing Fields, GM, TPR and Lemon Bubba. They all broke soil within a day of each other. Then they all had the same veg time and flipped to 12/12 at the same time. All but the Killing Fields showed pistils within 10 days. But the KF took nearly 3 weeks. Next run, I will let the KF veg for another week, and see if it doesn't shorten that time down closer to a week. 

• Like 3

What JC said 

7 hours ago, FoolOnTheHill said:

Why do you need to know?

4 hours ago, Papalag said:

What JC said 

1 hour ago, Hamme Hydro said:

What Papalag said.

First time growing, I would like to keep a track of what I do so for future can learn from it.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, iGrow420710 said:

First time growing, I would like to keep a track of what I do so for future can learn from it.

Good luck with your 1 st grow 

just jump in and post it we will all be here to help 

peace 

papa 

• Like 2

What PAP said 

• Like 2

Day one is the first day generally you put in ground but life is dependent on more than a calendar.

Your media environment and the air environment is most important to achieving what you are wanting and this will govern how fast and well things develop in the restraints of the capability of the genetics.

A good bit of information that will help you overall.  http://culturalhealingandlife.com.www413.your-server.de/index.php?/forum/27-indoor-environment/

• Like 4

I appreciate your interest in keeping track of your grows, it is a good practice. 

In an attempt to keep things simple don't be too concerned about day one. If you grow more than 1 plant from seed at a time they will each likely have a different day one.

I prefer to use an average. Since most beans sprout within a couple days of one another I wait until all are above ground to set a day one. It matters very little if they are a few days apart to begin with and trying to keep track of multiple day ones could prove a hassle.

Hope that helps. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I keep forgetting your site and all the great info there Hempy. :)

I do counts on seedlings when I see growth from soil. I do clones when they reach 7 nodes, so count day one for them is when I rooted and put in soil. For flower, day one is when I put them in.

• Like 1

I go with what Esko taught me

For flower

Day 1 is when you see pistals

Not when you flip

Hope this helps

Edit:

Exception to rule:

If your veg goes long enough and you have pistals already(alternation/mature plant)etc

Go with count from 12/12

yeah @Toker

i wanted to say the same, bro

(us esko-kids, haha).

amount of days after flipping are common to say how long is flo.

but it can be looked at like rocket.science too, of course (lol) :)

specify the stage of your "day 1" and your ok, i guess ...

veg day one = at first green from seed out of the soil

sexing = first preflowers after natural maturation in veg

flip day = first day after changing light regime

(real) flowering = when the pre-flowers start to "nest up"

(approx 1-3 weeks after changing light-regime, strain -dependant)

beach is right, btw:

if you grow ten beans, you will end up with ten different days for all categories, lol ...

• Like 3

This tickled me

yeah @Toker

i wanted to say the same, bro

(us esko-kids, haha

Damn shame he treats us like red headed step children now 

Lolol.

Just kidding 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow seriously, day 1 is when you see pistils? I count day one as when I put it in flower. LOL just from this convo here, no wonder half the time the grow times are not correct on these plants lol So one breeder says day of flip, another pistils show, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Will the Real Day 1 Please Show it's pretty head lol

• Like 1

That is why when I post, I usually say day of flip and day of pistils (of the plant that showed last). Everyone counts a bit different. And I like keeping track of how long each strain takes to show. For example, last run, I popped GM, TPR, Airborne Jack and Killing Fields. They all broke ground within a day of each other. Two weeks veg, and into the flower room. The Killing Fields took almost 2 weeks to show sex, while all the other showed within a week.

hehehe and it just dawned on me Seeds and clones ha ha ha yea a bit of difference Gardenartus ha ha

• Haha 1

Day 1 is up to you.  The day I plant the seed is day zero.  And then i count from there.  I note when i switch to 12/12.  But i start counting days of flowering when i see the first pistil.

I keep track Day 1 at the flip and day 1 of first sign of bud development 

i keep note of the ones that turn faster 

and if I veg long enough they pop into flowering that much faster 

just some thoughts 

peace 

• Like 1

For me day one is when the metabolism of the baby's has started,so when planted they start with day one.
Day one of flowering is when pistels are made,not from the moment when flipping to 12/12.
Atleast........ that is what i think.:P

@Papalag I also noticed that a longer veg. period does make em turn faster after flipping the switch.
Mine just started after 4 days of 12/12 ,which is a unexpected speed record for me.:lol:
I was all high when i checked em and i was like..........        !! whoa dude !!   need to pinch and bend already..........:o

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Papalag yeah never ever come across such a fast species of plant,i think it's just funny and freaky at the same time.
Donnow what it will bring this time though.
But i am sure that it had to do with the long veggie period i gave 'em.
i gave em like 3 or 4 weeks.

But i'm a bit starstruck with this one indeed :lol:

• Like 2

My veg day 1 is when the a tap root cracks the outer shell, as I always use a wet paper towel, inside a baggie. Most beans pop in 12 - 18 hours of being put in the baggie. On a heat mat during fall and winter to 71f sometimes as high as 80f, if cold down there.

I almost always veg mine for 2 months, as I do not keep MOM's and just cut2clone to keep the veg matter coming. OR I use that time to top and regrow them to the structure I prefer in my tents.

When mine go into flower, I start counting. I will use the breeders suggested time frame as a point to start scoping them. IMHO, it is here where our own personal taste comes into play. I've tried many different times to cull by trichome ripeness, with all clear heads, being so damn speedy feeling in my brain, I just do not care for them at all. 

The half clear and half cloudy, are still for me, still a bit to speedy. 

I like to see in my loupe, cloudy with a few ambers, checking her from top to bottom, and ealy on in my hobby, I would cut branches as they were ready. VERY time consuming but it was all just perfect for me that way.

Now I just see that happy place, cloudy with a few reddies, and I cut/deleaf, hang until crisp, the snip bud into wide mouth mason jars for a few days. I then go and open the lids a few days, and after that wait a minimum of 3 weeks to smoke, unless I ran myself out of buds.

There are so many ways to grow and work  buds.