•           ai.php.gif

Sign in to follow this  
Gimme5minutes

What a strange plant

I have some autoflowers outside in the garden this year. I have one here about 5 weeks old, she's been budding maybe couple of weeks now. These are the sort of autoflowers I usually get.

outdoorautoak.thumb.jpg.37b5dc80226dd37e5e08157802546fa8.jpg

This one is Lemon Kush x Lowryder crossed with last year's USC Turkish male, a very strange plant.

strangeauto.thumb.jpg.110203d89b804230cc545eb19cad0ba7.jpg

She was germinated in March, began flowering around the middle of May and is acting strangely. Its been putting on more branches than flowers and the flowers don't seem to be structurally anything I'm familiar with. Here's a closeup of a branch to give a better impression.

strangeautobranch.thumb.jpg.d50816cfd13220d7681cadafefa111b1.jpg

All the flowering stems and branches and petioles this plant spits out are caked in sticky bubblegum scented resin. Its reminds me of the resin buildup on Caramel Cough. No idea what she's doing, where she's going and when she's going to finish. What a strange plant.

• Like 3

She's not full auto and is in reveg, those single leaves show during reveg or harsh stress. If she keeps going into veg and not throwing more flower, remove the immature flowers cause they will die off and like dead leaves can be gross.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This one's been odd from the start, all the plants came out as female autos, matured quickly and started budding indoors under 20+ hours of light. All the clones I cut are inch tall flowering buds. They're in the ground, any suggestions on what to do?

• Like 1

If she is not full auto, as WiseCalyx said, then you can leave her until fall, or you can try putting a box over her during mornings or evenings to get something like 12/12 lighting that would force her to flower.  Since she is in the ground outside, it doesn't seem practical or wise to try to bring her inside for flowering.

• Like 2

I've never seen anything like it. If it is trying to go back into veg, maybe make some cuts and see what they do. With the amount of triches on that girl, it might just something worth working with. Who knows, but it doesn't cost anything but a little time to give it a shot.

• Like 2

Not quite sure what's going on then. I have talked to Maphisto and Greenwork about auto hybridization and that it takes 3 to 5 generations of selective inbreeding to fix an auto trait in the populus after a first outcross hybrid of auto and photo. That's where my comment originates from, and having delt with reveg in early May. 

Oddly enough some old world sativa throw single blades. 

• Like 3

The box seems a bit impractical and besides, its the same under 12/12 as it is under 24 hours of light. I tried cloning already. They root and all but end up as inch tall budding plants. A friend  gave two of my clones to a very experienced grower who was certain he could get any clone to revert back, he was unsuccessful too. Also, last I looked at her I noticed the preflowers were swollen and covered in a layer of white frost but none of the hairs had changed. I've given a bunch away earlier this year as starts and everyone has reported similar results. No idea what to make of it. Either way I'll post updates as she progresses.

• Like 2

Strange too, this cross came from a pack of Lemon Kush seeds grown in my garden last year that were supposed to be a photoperiod strain, I kept 2 and gave the others away. They were the most disappointing plants I ever grew (maybe 2 grams at best) and I crossed them in a effort to someday get my $20 worth out of them. There was no love in their creation, they were born of out of anger and spite.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Sounds a like a "Growers Nemesis"  I think she would be interesting to work with, a project of sorts. That girl would put me on a mission. I'd take her to the 50 shades dungeon and whip her into submission. Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I had a semi auto Male in a pack of New Blue Diesel back in 2k10. He kept opening up and dumping pollen in veg. None of the pollen was viable aside from what it made once I put it outside and was put into flower (it stretched and everything). All of the progeny turned out photo and NBD dominant. The clone I hit up was White Russian.

A few weeks ago I pollenated one of the lower branches with a surprise Turkish Skunk male and killed the guy afterward. I didn't really think anything of it. The pistils on the plant that were hit have turned brown and they are making seeds. This makes me wonder if that means plants like this are more suited to producing seeds than other cannabis plants in the wild. Could a plant like this really mess up the gene pool? It's a scary thought, when it to procreation this plant does have a serious advantage over all the other plants. Consider all the other early maturing males that have already popped. Am I overthinking this?

• Like 2

On 7/2/2018 at 3:07 PM, Gimme5minutes said:

A few weeks ago I pollenated one of the lower branches with a surprise Turkish Skunk male and killed the guy afterward. I didn't really think anything of it. The pistils on the plant that were hit have turned brown and they are making seeds. This makes me wonder if that means plants like this are more suited to producing seeds than other cannabis plants in the wild. Could a plant like this really mess up the gene pool? It's a scary thought, when it to procreation this plant does have a serious advantage over all the other plants. Consider all the other early maturing males that have already popped. Am I overthinking this?

Most hemp is farmed for seed or fiber all over the world. I've been talking with Seattle Chronic a lot lately as he does work with THC dom but also varying degrees of CBD plants. He tests even his males and does selection fro. 150 to 500 plants as well as stress tests all breeding wares. He and I have been speaking of Finolia lately as it is a smaller hemp variety that stacks hard. These hemp are grown for fiber and seed for sure and a prolific pollinators. The reason he is looking into this cultivar specifically is to work with the CBG that a lot of varieties seem to lack. 

I have also been talking with Mephisto Genetics a lot about his extensive work with autoflower and that question has arose before. Seems that those who do auto right takes 3 generations to isolate the auto trait. But that doesn't mean you have a potent auto. They told me they then take their work back to a photo period plant 3 times as well to fix the drug traits and solidify (use OG for example) the wanted traits. Worked 3 times between each 3 times to the photo. Lots and lots of work to do it right and lock down all the drug traits and only the auto trait from the hemp (ruderalis).

Really depends how you look at it. Some of the CBD varieties are only hemp, like cherry wine hemp varietals. Great terpenes but hemp. 

I live in an area that will be starting to grow industrial hemp in the next couple years and I've been wondering about cross pollination of my outdoor with pure industrial hemp varieties. And haven't even thought about pondering what auto drug varieties would be doing. In the past I have only had to worry about some dick head growing hermie bag seed in my area.

I supposed it could really mess with the gene pool, but in the same way, we need to practice ethics when approaching these situations. We all get stoked hearing 30% THC but have lost some crucial terpenes profiles as well as cannabinoid profiles in the quest to breed THC rocket fuel. Don't get me wrong, I love it... but really think about the full spectrum and how we have bred pretty much to one cannabinoid profile until recent research and the culling of folk lore and misconceptions.

This brings me back to Seattle Chronic and his quest to not only isolate specific cannabinoids within cultivars but also reintroduce them into each other. He really is searching for full spec profiles as well as custom tailored profiles to meet specific needs. This dude is putting in work.

It's all in how you look at it. In the same light we need to preserve land race genetics and honestly start reintroducing them into current hybrids while keeping these lines pure. 

Ymmv and this is IMO

Happy 4th. Blow something up! Just not yourselves. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

She's been hit by mold, scary mold right by the stem. It looks like a dead purple leaf but if you touch it breaks into thousands of tiny spores. Its early July, I don't think I've ever encountered mold so early, it usually hits in September. Nothing good here.

• Sad 2