•           ai.php.gif

Sign in to follow this  
shiskaberry savior

Identify these little buggers

Pic isn't the greatest but these were in a top bud just caught them as they were hatching ! There big no scope needed to see them ! They were eating at the bud almost at first looked like bud rot till they moved ! 

IMG_0881.JPG

IMG_0882.JPG

• Confused 2

eeek, now you need to do a video, use that killer bug stuff, and watch em wither and die lol That is one thing I don't mind watching die lol

bugs in garden, good and bad.jpg

They look like mites to me as well, good or bad not sure :) Be nice if they were beneficial. I can't see real well but they do seem to have more legs then spider mites?

Here is another more detailed.

good and bad bugs for cannabis.png

Well at least they aren’t in my garden ,brothers green house and he caught them before it spread if they are mites it’s a variety I’ve never seen before any mites I’ve had you needed a scope to see them ! These are like super sized mites lol

LOL you are right didn't even think of that, you can't see those little buggers without a scope. Now I got to look up size of bugs ha ha

These tiny predators are not insects, but instead are members of the spider and tick clan (arachnids). They give cannibalism a good name, as they gobble up related spider mites by the dozens every day. Predatory mites look almost identical to and are about the same size as spider mites. You can tell predatory mites apart from spider mites by their shiny, unspotted, more pear-shaped body, and longer legs that enable them to move much faster than spider mites – but you’ll need magnification to see this! Predatory mites are widely used to control spider mites, and are commercially available.

I am thinking aphids.

Aphids are parasites that form a sub-family within the insect order Hemiptera. Like many other insects, they may represent a serious pest in many plant species, besides being an insect that can also carry several viruses and diseases. Easy to recognise as small insects of different colors (yellow, black or green) with a size of 1 to 3 mm. The body is ovoid, with 3 parts difficult to distinguish (head, thorax and abdomen). They may lack wings or have two pairs of small membranous and transparent wings. In the final part of the abdomen they have two small appendages that secrete repellents for their natural predators.

They are usually found on the underside of the leaves and stems, forming large colonies of tens (or hundreds) of individuals. They can develop symbiotic relationship with other insects like ants or bees. Aphids secrete a sugary substance from the anus – similar to molasses – that is used by ants, which in turn protect aphids from predators. Something similar happens with bees, hich incorporate this substance to their honey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks , I do know they destroy part of the bud with their nest ,did I mention they have a set of claws reminds me of a crab ! Extremely fast for there size ,it’s got me  what they are don’t see wings on the bigger ones there also is hundreds of baby’s hatching over the last 3 days but also big enough to see with a naked eye not mite size lol

• Sad 1

I have never seen an aphid in my indoor grow, outdoors on my roses, but they hate lavender so just planted that around, and they were black ones. Yuck, when they hatch like that can come uncontrollable really fast. Glad this isn't in your garden! I am really curious about this one, hope someone else pipes in.

I also think they look like predator mites. But with the good comes the bad. I don't think that kind of a population would exist without a something for them to eat. So there will be some bad bugs in there destroying the bud. KILL THEM ALL and let the bug gods sort them out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, Ms G you are correct. Ants will transport the aphids from the ground up and onto vegetation.  When they treat trees for aphids, they actually treat the ground, not just the tree. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking that might be a way for his friend to out rule or if it is aphids, any ants around? :)

I’m sure there is he’s had everything including a bird in there this year flew in when he was going out one day! Took him all after noon trying to coax it out! 410 with bird shot so you patch a hole in the plastic end of bird, problem solved total time 2 min ,patch hole clean up the splatter maybe another 10 min ! Carry on with your day ! 

67 year old hippy pretty set in his ways growing old school I’m slowly getting him converted finally to ditch the miracle grow and use real nutes designed for weed , also mix things up a bit grow a few different strains see what’s out there instead of the same boring 2 strains over and over ! All in all it turned out to be a good crop with a few hiccups along the way he’s happy everything processed and put away for another year ,think he ended up with 5 strains totaling around 4.5 lbs not too shabby !

On the bug situation in the baggie they are still alive and hatched hundreds of those little buggers ! Still unsure what species they are hoping to find a bug expert to identify what they actually are ,he has a  friend that supposedly knows his bugs that’s going to have a look . 

• Like 2

Cool, I really want to know what they are. Hey us old folks do tend to get stuck in our ways lol if it ain't broke, don't fix it ;)

• Like 1

I know but he's only a few years older than me I grew up in the 60's too but keep up somewhat with technology he still refers to a 1976 copy of high times that has old outdated info , he does own a smart phone he's named his spy phone but has limited knowledge of how to use it! 

Ive given up teaching him over the last 3 years since he retired his flip phone it's all a confusing mess! 

• Haha 3

@shiskaberry savior

On the picture with bugs i clearley see green aphids.
Nothing else but green aphids.
There are many different species aphids out there ofcourse,but these are the simple green ones.
there is also a species that gives off red blood when wiping the stem clean of them and they pop open.
Theres also a species that drills through the bark of a tree,instead of on the bottom of a leaf.

Green aphids get BORN with a foetus inside of em already.
So that's why they hatch like crazy,those baby's have baby's inside them already.
it's a form of a-sexual reproduction that makes em so successful.

Ants keep em like a herd of sheep,all for the honeydew they poop out when tickled by an ant's antennae.
They also keep em safe from harm.
But i have never seen them transport aphids to another plant.

@gardenartus Why is there an earwig on the list of harmful bugs?
Earwigs eat aphids,it's their ambrosia.
So why is it there an earwig on the wrong list?:o

Earwigs can be kept in an earwig-jug.
Just put a stick in the ground with an overturned earthenware jug on it.
Need to put straw inside for insulation.

Now they have a home that's near the aphids infestation(by your roses) so they can go on war campaign like free mercenary's every night.:lol:

• Like 3

I do not know why :) and I did not know those nasty little things ate Aphids! How about that, more good info

• Thanks 1

Well I guess there aphids ! My brothers gardening friend showed and he figures that’s what they are. Almost 2 weeks and still alive in the baggie thousands now insane amount have hatched and continue to do so !

• Like 1

I just saw this the other day when Collie answered it.  He nailed it so I only liked it.  I wish I saw this before that.  Not sure how I missed it.u

Aphids are a plague.

Edited, some humble pie.  Gardenatus nailed it too.  I missed much in this thread and came in late.

• Like 1

@gardenartus no need to chop up your liver gal,it's just aphids lol:lol: