•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

jimihendrix

Purple Gnarly Growth that Leads to Death

Anyone know what this is? 

A friend of mine has been fighting this for 4 years.

I saw these photos posted by a member on another forum, and its the exact thing my friend has.

My buddy, and the forum member are also using different mediums, and are not in the same area of the country.

Buddys PH is 6.2-6.3.. Promix BX.

The plants grow perfectly with 0 problems up until a couple weeks before flowering they start showing hints of purple, that eventually gets gnarly, turns black, and dies. Sometimes they come partially out of it, but the buds are 90% mucked up, but most just die.

Am using 7-20 gallon Smart Pots.

When they first went into the pots they were given 

Farm Type Granulated Fertilized that was calculated to a 19-19-39 formula.

Fert was

19-19-19

0-0-60

Added Calcitic/Dolomitic Lime 2/3 :1/3 ratio Calcitic/Dolomite

My guess is that its either a deficiency, or a disease.

Phytoplasma Disease

or

Phosphorus Deficiency, also with possible Cal/Mag/Nitrogen deficiency.

The only thing is, is the other guy has been feeding his plants ect, and I was thinking the fert my friend originally used, it used up, and causing deficiencies from no food, but again, other guy has been feeding his.

I also figured it could be from being wet to much, as weve had a lot of rain this year.

394415Purple Death.jpg

39467333_736602253338267_4344694899799490560_n.jpg

That stuff is creepy and they warned this might spread through out the world. I have been watching to see if anyone has it. So we might huh :( Bad news, I hope this doesn't spread across the gardens.

What genetics are they using? It would suck if the higher powers started to genetically engineer our beloved plant out of existence. yikes. 

On 8/21/2018 at 10:09 AM, jimihendrix said:

Anyone know what this is? 

A friend of mine has been fighting this for 4 years.

I saw these photos posted by a member on another forum, and its the exact thing my friend has.

My buddy, and the forum member are also using different mediums, and are not in the same area of the country.

Buddys PH is 6.2-6.3.. Promix BX.

The plants grow perfectly with 0 problems up until a couple weeks before flowering they start showing hints of purple, that eventually gets gnarly, turns black, and dies. Sometimes they come partially out of it, but the buds are 90% mucked up, but most just die.

Am using 7-20 gallon Smart Pots.

When they first went into the pots they were given 

Farm Type Granulated Fertilized that was calculated to a 19-19-39 formula.

Fert was

19-19-19

0-0-60

Added Calcitic/Dolomitic Lime 2/3 :1/3 ratio Calcitic/Dolomite

My guess is that its either a deficiency, or a disease.

Phytoplasma Disease

or

Phosphorus Deficiency, also with possible Cal/Mag/Nitrogen deficiency.

The only thing is, is the other guy has been feeding his plants ect, and I was thinking the fert my friend originally used, it used up, and causing deficiencies from no food, but again, other guy has been feeding his.

I also figured it could be from being wet to much, as weve had a lot of rain this year.

394415Purple Death.jpg

39467333_736602253338267_4344694899799490560_n.jpg

I saw these and commented regarding on Swami's FB page. Are you the jimi that turned me onto Gas's gear?? If so welcome here!

• Like 1

i am leaning towards mold/mildew

you can read more here.  I am on phone and cant see pics as well but description describes mold/bud rot classically.

https://www.growweedeasy.com/bud-rot

hope that helps.

Hempyfan!

8 hours ago, Hempyfan said:

i am leaning towards mold/mildew

you can read more here.  I am on phone and cant see pics as well but description describes mold/bud rot classically.

https://www.growweedeasy.com/bud-rot

hope that helps.

Hempyfan!

No buds on the plants Hempy, if you saw the pics it's classic sooty mold.

Baq

• Like 1

It does seem to be attacking the new growth. Never seen that I don't think. I'm seeing stuff around here I've never seen but always have trouble with ID. 

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 4:34 PM, baqualin said:

I saw these and commented regarding on Swami's FB page. Are you the jimi that turned me onto Gas's gear?? If so welcome here!

Yep. That's me

33 minutes ago, jimihendrix said:

Yep. That's me

I'd say he's very glad he met you from the cool Swami stories Baqualin's told us. He's had me wanting to get back to work, heh. There were a couple I'd love to try someday. 

Anyway, welcome to OG bro, if I didn't already say it... :P

peace

mrG

i don't think it's sooty mold. after 5 years of trying to figure out what it is i stopped outdoor growing. it's in my veggy garden and a buddies that lives 40 miles away. i think phytoplasma may very well be the culprit. transmitter by leaf hoppers which are very prevalent in my area. i always thought they were basically harmless until i read up on phytoplasma. think i'm gonna listen to "if 6 was 9" one of my favorite tunes. good luck jimi! 

• Like 3

Have you tried contacting your county extension agent? Some counties have a really good office for things like that. Might check with them with some pics or better yet a sample in a baggie. They might have a solution for it, too.

peace

mrG

3 hours ago, brimck325 said:

i don't think it's sooty mold. after 5 years of trying to figure out what it is i stopped outdoor growing. it's in my veggy garden and a buddies that lives 40 miles away. i think phytoplasma may very well be the culprit. transmitter by leaf hoppers which are very prevalent in my area. i always thought they were basically harmless until i read up on phytoplasma. think i'm gonna listen to "if 6 was 9" one of my favorite tunes. good luck jimi! 

You may very well have Phytoplasma problems, but the pictures above are a classic example of Black Sooty mold, I've dealt with it for years in this area and it's also brought on by leaf cutters and other insects like mites that leave a excretion on the leaves and buds that the mold feeds on.  Elm trees which are full of pest and all kinds of shit anymore are a host, I have a huge one that leans over one of my beds and that's where it appears, always secondary to insect damage, don't see it in other beds. Hope it gets solved. My biggest problem this year has been termites, came in on a bad load of compost and they have me stressed to the max, 14 big plants in preflower lost, never ran across this in 47 years of growing, I've been able to keep them away from the plants left so far (daily battle), which is all I can do until after harvest, then I'm burning everything. Any suggestions are very welcome, never heard of this before until it happened and I researched online only to find it's not that uncommon.

Baq

• Like 2

I saw a documentary of the abandoned neighborhoods of New Orleans post hurricane Katrina. It showed just how fast the termites can take a complete house down. It's not long down there. Once the weeds and vines start growing up and over the house it retains moisture from all the rain there, speeding up the decomposition process, which is exactly what termites want, rotting wood.

I never hear of them going after live plants. It's not those large black carpenter ants is it? Fuck, what a nightmare. Best vibes sent your way bro. 

peace

mrG

43 minutes ago, Mr Goodfellow said:

I saw a documentary of the abandoned neighborhoods of New Orleans post hurricane Katrina. It showed just how fast the termites can take a complete house down. It's not long down there. Once the weeds and vines start growing up and over the house it retains moisture from all the rain there, speeding up the decomposition process, which is exactly what termites want, rotting wood.

I never hear of them going after live plants. It's not those large black carpenter ants is it? Fuck, what a nightmare. Best vibes sent your way bro. 

peace

mrG

Nope it’s termites, you can brush back the compost and see them crawling through it, they come in below ground and eat the bark off all the way around the plant then eat their way up underneath the bark, plants are dead after that and it’s quick one day they look great come back the next day and it’s wilted like it hasn’t been watered in a month. I’ll post up a pic in a bit. Ants are actually good in this circumstance, they eat the termites and their eggs. I’m going to have to strip the beds, burn everything and start from scratch, which is to bad, beds are 5 years old and the first few inches of soil is white with mycelium. Oh well that’s gardening. They got 1 Ozbek, 5 BOP’s, 3 BTB’s, 2 Aztec Rains and 3 Skywalker Og’s. You have to find the nest, they’re subterranean termites, nest can be several feet underground, so to eradicate you have to drill the whole area and still takes a while to kill them, plus the only thing that really works will kill the plants and us. Sucks!

I’ve been root soaking each plant with neem and pyrethrums, not really killing the Termites, just repelling them. This is the only thing that has worked so far and I tried everything including baiting which they ignore. The reason they hit weed so bad is the woody stalks, all the weeds and shit I don’t want is untouched, including garden veggies.

Baq

Damn. The compost had too much woody material? Luckily we don't have them here, I don't think, because of the elevation and winter. I grew up around them and totally get it. Once they're in the wood and ground you gotta nuke 'em. Hope you can stave them off until harvest. 

peace

mrG

Its not black sooty mold.  This stuff takes over the chlorophyll, is within the tissue of the plant, and theres nothing to wipe off as per sooty mold, powdery mildew. ect.

Im leaning more, and more to phytoplasmas, though the Method of Transmission, for Phytoplasmas, and Sooty Mold ARE THE SAME. BUGS. Could maybe add a lot of  Heat, leaves/WOODs, and water/humidity into the mix... Rotting leaves even close by create spores, and the interaction of bugs, wet hot, and decaying forest all around could brew up anything.

I don't know what anyones view on climate change is, but Ive been growing outside since 1971, and where I am, Ive never seen such extreme weather conditions. Its either flooding, 100 degrees for weeks on end,  when it should be 84, and the ticks, and mosquitoes will eat you alive if you don't have protection. They've always been there, but theres something up.

Spring comes at least 10 days-2 weeks earlier in the last 10 years. Growing Season has been extended 10 days. At least, and if you make it after a medium frost, you can add 2 weeks onto that.

The 1st Phytoplasmas seen in Marijuana/Cannabis Sativa was in India in 1968, and was predicted to spread worldwide.

I wonder if they are seeing anything like this in Europe. Its been seen in Iran, and others have reported Hawaii, and other Tropical Locations.

No doubt we are seeing some kind of uncommon blight, and we are seeing it in various locations in USA.

A common theme is that people started reported seeing this on forums at least as far back as 2014 that Ive found. Could be further back, but I haven't found them,. 2014 also had photos, and it was dead on.

My buddy started seeing it in 2014, and has ruined at least 1000 plants,   though some come back to a point, but not always.

• Like 2

I totally believe the climate change. I worked outside all my life and things are much different. I'm surprised at things I see now that shouldn't be in this place. Something IS up.

peace

mrg

• Like 1

Like monarch butterflies hanging out in Vermont, at a time of year they should be well on their way to Mexico?

The signs are, and have been, everywhere for anyone with the curiosity to look. Problem is that we currently live in a world where if you belive the earth is flat, for instance, there is a huge echo chamber for you to get positive reinforcement.  True with any topic, no mater your belief.  We have become so acustom to having "knowledge" fed to us that we have lost the curiosity to hypothesize and discover the truth for ourselves. 

DB

• Like 1