•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
plasma

Starting Over, moving from soil to hydro.

Hi all, 

Been a while :)  Sometimes life is like that.  So I have decided to throw out my soil (really getting tired of lugging bags of soil now)  I will buy a flood and drain table for my 600w and put 6 plants on it.  My question really is whats everyone using now a days for nutes?  Should I just stick with 3 part GHE or is something else around?  There are 40 different nutes now a days.

Thanks!!

Keep Smokin`

flood and drain is perfect.  octopots have issues with water temperature if you are in a hot environment.

I have one room hooked to a res, and the octopots on a control bucket, that goes through a water chiller, that is the ultimate set up. The other room I use shields over the pots, and use cool water.

• Like 2

Looks like you have a plan, good luck.

jr peters 5-12-26……there is absolutely no need to pay for bottled nutes……..spend pennies per gallon instead of dollars. i was skeptical and bought the 4lb tub….don't waste your time just get 25lb bag and cal/nit off amazon.

Ok so I cleaned up my room, what a mess.  I haven`t opened the door in 2 years i think.  Washed all the walls etc. Bought a load of stuff.  I even have an EC meter now, something i never had.  I will get rid of the ghetto pallet I`m using as a table stand.  Also need a new res.  I think i need to get lower to the floor and 75l is barley enough.  100l and closer to the ground would give me more headroom.  I just didn`t want to buy a "hydro" res because I`m cheap and i think they a little over priced for what it is.

Tap water is .41 EC , after a test of nutes, 3 part GH its over 1.3 i think it was. (1ml per l)  So an RO filter ill need I suppose.

I have some special queen #1 ill run, they are forgiving and cheap.  Besides its all the seeds i have left.

All that`s left really is to decide on pots.  I think the square ones are too big really.  What you think about the smaller round ones?  Ill just cut a slit in them like the squares.  Ill start a report when the seeds are germinated, which will be the first time for me on rockwool.  Then to a 10cm block, then to the pot w/hydrotron.

table.jpg

• Like 1

Nice ebb and flow table! I would definitively look for crates, drill a couple of holes in the bottom and the side and go. Pots are better for soil if you ask me.

Nice setup, I'm sure you'll enjoy the hydro.  I, too, switched from soil to hydro after years of coco, guano's, and peat, just for the convenience.   I just set up a 20 gal tote DWC, with two high powered air stones, easy peasy, much faster than soil,  and I can leave it for days ( about 7 max) without any problems.   I use ton's of Fox Farm's Big Bloom, as I still believe guano grown weed is the best tasting ever.

I started getting pests with soil, reusing soil got twitchy, hiding all that stuff, lol.  Now, it's just water and me.  

Good luck, thanks for sharing.  

• Like 2

Hi thanks for the replies all.  Yea my room is kinda hard to get to.  Underground even, tucked away in the far reaches of a basement.  I`m not getting younger so the dragging of soils in and out is a pain.  Things are coming along.  I have installed a 3 stage water filter to bypass the water softener.  Filters down to 5mic with a last filter for chlorine etc.  .41ec

I might need a dehumidifier.  Night time low 60`s, daytime 50.  And that`s with no plants.  

Nervous about the seedlings however.  Usually they would just get buried in soil near to the first leaves.  But this can not work like that shoving them into a larger RW cube.  They will get leggy wont they?  Do i just keep the RW damp until ready to be transplanted?

Would they do better in small 1 gal fabric bags with some kind of grow stones 

l to am thinking of the switch been looking at the platinum 100 flood and drain set up 

I am watching this thread very closely 

getting to old to haul all that dirt then mix all amendments 

good luck 

peace 

3 hours ago, Papalag said:

Would they do better in small 1 gal fabric bags with some kind of grow stones 

l to am thinking of the switch been looking at the platinum 100 flood and drain set up 

I am watching this thread very closely 

getting to old to haul all that dirt then mix all amendments 

good luck 

peace 

dadburn it Papa..u ain't old''lol

I too am having problems..i have a torn rotor,, comes up from the socket and hurts like all get out..

I am fortunate in a way though.i have several acres to scatter it  etc..I compose some of it for Garden out side..

take care bro..PM me if u ever have any needs...

• Like 1

Nice setup!  Those crates should work well with the 10cm cubes.  

Seedlings have a taproot and typically benefit from having vertical root space (vs clones).  I would put them in the 10cm blocks once you see a root tip hanging out the bottom of the small rockwool starter.  I find those starter cubes dry out fast when not in a humidity dome.  

For reference, I use 10cm blocks just like you, and typically get about 2 weeks worth of growth from seedlings in them before needing to go into something bigger.  Anything longer and they start to show deficiencies...etc.

The seedlings shouldn't stretch with sufficient lighting, unless the are in very high humidity (humidity dome) which can make them stretch some.  

Good luck! 

@bigun hi bro 

it’s great to see you around 

i guess  age creeps up on us 

moved into this damn retirement community and no place to get rid of the soil any longer 

hydro here I come lol

talk soon. 

Peace 

• Like 1

Haha thanks guys.  Yes I have the same issue.  Dragging soil and all the things about 100m from my driveway to this room just got old.  Same as me.

I took the dome off to get the light as close as possible to prevent stretching.  Since im just starting over I have no clones.  Maybe in 6 months.

I have seen people use the smart pots and hydroton.  These crates were 2 bucks.  I just hope it floods enough.  If this doesnt work right I will switch to some other media for the table.

Ill transfer the seedlings to the cubes soon as i see the tap root then.  Which could be today.  I best go soak some cube in 5.8ph then.  I guess i can leave the plastic on then until transfer to the big system?

9 hours ago, Papalag said:

@bigun hi bro 

moved into this damn retirement community and no place to get rid of the soil any longer 

hydro here I come lol

talk soon. 

Peace 

Hey Pap... don't toss it out. Just reuse it. I'm on the third run with my soil. I keep it in Rubbermaid containers between runs. 

Dump your pots in, break up the soil a little bit and spray some water in there to make sure it's damp. Add your amendments a month before your ready to use it. So far it's working great for me. And a few storage containers stacked in the garage doesn't draw attention.

@Justcozz hi bro I did recycle it was good at first but after 4 or 5 times soil caused some major problems I went back to all new 

it does work but keep an eye on it salts begin to build up and some times Just adding amendments adds excess  

Thanks for the advice bro

peace 

Edited by Papalag
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Papalag said:

@bigun hi bro 

hydro here I come lol

talk soon. 

Peace 

hey bro...u take care and we will get together...

retirement comm.is a good thing ..makes it so all u have to do is care for your weed..lol

let the POA take care of the rest..

later..tell the wife hello..mine said tell u all hello..

• Like 1

Ok well off they go then.  Just keep them damp for a few days i guess?  also ive been flooding for a couple days to test everything.  The rockwool isn't getting wet.  But just under.  Is it suppose to wick any water?

IMG_20181005_164624.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good!

I find that my 10cm blocks don't wick entirely up.  I end up top feeding. 

I also put white plastic over the top, cutting a hole and slit to get it around the plant stem. This prevents any algae growth on top.  

My opinion is the crates should be great, but you will need to flood them probably 1/3- 1/2  up the sides to get most of the hydoton wet.  I've never used hydroton so can't speak from experience.  

4 hours ago, Trimmermuffin said:

Looking good!

I find that my 10cm blocks don't wick entirely up.  I end up top feeding. 

I also put white plastic over the top, cutting a hole and slit to get it around the plant stem. This prevents any algae growth on top.  

My opinion is the crates should be great, but you will need to flood them probably 1/3- 1/2  up the sides to get most of the hydoton wet.  I've never used hydroton so can't speak from experience.  

Thanks.  Yes it is flooding just over 1/3.  I really need to get another res, then i have the flexibility to flood to higher if needed.  The flood line is just under the RW.  Time will tell what needs to be adjusted.  

The plastic comes off the cubes in the big system yea? LOl (dumb)