•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
plasma

Starting Over, moving from soil to hydro.

Yes, cut the plastic entirely off the RW before going into hydroton.  Its cool to see the root development in the RW especially if you let them veg for 2 weeks in them.

1/3 up the crate may be fine.  The biggest issue I see potentially happening is that the RW cube dries too fast vs the hydroton when your in full swing. You may want to cover the crates on top to limit evaporation there.  You'll have plenty of air flow around the sides. 

Does the hydroton wick at all?  If so, this mitigates the issue, but I don't think it does?  Maybe run a test?

• Like 1

I have been flooding it 3 times a day to test.  It seems to be wicking to me.  Ill see if i can get a pic.  But the  hydrotron is damp.  There are roots coming out the bottom of the large cubes now.  So i guess I don`t have much time.  The RO unit should be here today. 

I think flooding 1/3 is fine. There is no need to water from the top if you ask me and i've been growing this way for a couple of years now. 

Thanks for the replies!  I do appreciate it  RO is installed.  Will take a while to generate 100l.  Its just a small unit.  Also I have it on the house side of the water (pressure reduction)  So its sitting at 40psi.  If it move it to the other side of the pressure reducer ill get over 60psi.

Anyway I`m cleaning out the res of the test water (.41ec) for the .05ec good stuff.  I had a drink its kinda strange to drink water like that.  I like my well water better.

Looking back it seem I do not really need the 10cm cubes, you could go seedling or cutting right to the hydroton.

• Like 1

Ph rise after a few floods normal?  Just adjust or leave it? Its like 6.5 now.  One flood per day with seedlings for a week or so?

Hey!  Update?

Ph rise may be normal given your media.

• What was the input Ph?
  •  Was this RO water or tap?  Higher starting Ec water will naturally rise over time.
  • Did the res Ec rise/drop after the flood?

I would adjust the Ph, after checking Ec, back to 5.8 to 6.  

The watering totally depends on your situation (your mileage may vary).  Just have to see how fast they dry out.  Every day seems too often for a seedling in the setup you show. But you may have a lot of evaporation in your space?

Hope that helps.