•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

FlaTransplant

Saving E$cobars Strains

On 9/27/2018 at 2:49 PM, santero said:

afaik, esko did not like the stuff coming from his michoacan.

his "top four"-listing of the mexicans he worked with were:

1. oaxacan (female keeper was femmed)

2. guerrero (he gave this to me, just before he stopped)

3. jalisco (no keepers, only a reg-seed repro + crosses)

4. michoacan (no keepers and no crosses) 

Hi santero, did you make an f2 from the guerrero? And do you or anyone have seeds from the michoacan to make an open pollination?

• Like 2

I have a bag of Mexican seeds but none that are identified. I want to dig into them soon. I got some Panama Red seeds that are really old from the same guy but no good info. I got a PR to pop and it convinced me it was the real deal when it started flowering but I got called out of town and the plant got a bug infestation while gone and perished. It makes me think the bag of Mexican seeds will be good. They came from an old timer hippie is all I got from the guy.

I'm interested in the Guerrero, too, SAN. I haven't grown any Mexican in decades but have an interest if I can find the time. Also, that Oaxacan is interesting to me. Seems like you gave the history of that strain once. Good to know you have these gems in safe keeping. 

I'm toking a bowl of Shiva Dawg that's been curing a while. Mmmmmm Mmmm, good! I'm gooD AND STONED!1 :smoke

peace

mrG

• Like 2

I read the same thing about Esko's Michoacan, no keepers, but back in the day, the stuff we'd get  was right up there with Acapulco Gold. IMO.  Also had something called Mexican "dirt weed", where they would put in clay jars and bury it to cure it, killer smoke, if you like smoking dirt, lol       

Mexican strains seem to have been relegated to the "also ran" after the Columbian invasion, no one ever talked about them much again, and still don't.  But there are a few breeders using Mexican landraces again.  Wonder Woman, from Nirvana is some seriously good smoke with Mexican genes.  Barney's Farm Claims their Acapulco Gold is "central American", but I read somewhere it's something else, but everyone knows it's not the original.   

So many pure landraces are becoming hard to find do to cross pollination, they even talked about it in the new Narcos episodes on Netflix, how the cartel had to find an extremely isolated spot to grow the first sinsemilla, to keep it from cross pollinating.  Jamaica is all but ruined with the hybrid infusion.  Oh well, times change.  

Swami Seeds Guerrero is legit and pretty kick ass, @yesum on here has grown it out and gave a really nice smoke report on RIU. I have his Guerrero X Mazar and it's straight medicine. Snow High seeds has legit Mexican's, pricey, but legit.

Baq

• Like 4

I'd forgotten about Snow High, where is he selling his seeds these days?  He's on Attitude, but they never have any of his stuff in stock, always looked like an Old School treasure trove of genetics.  

• Like 1

Yeah, Baq, that Swami Guerrero is one I'd like to try. You gave some good history on it and it sounds nice. I missed the Black Friday sale he had, sadly.... I had to put all my cash into another truck that week. At least I have a new ride. I'll get back to it soon. I need to grow some of the beans I have first!

peace

mrG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dieseldog381 said:

I'd forgotten about Snow High, where is he selling his seeds these days?  He's on Attitude, but they never have any of his stuff in stock, always looked like an Old School treasure trove of genetics.  

https://www.oregoneliteseeds.com/product-category/snow-high-seeds/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can also contact Snow directly and save a bit of money buying direct.  Go to his instagram page and he lists his email there somewhere in the comments when asked how to contact him.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, dieseldog381 said:

The Pacific Northwest and Cali Breeders started it all and select ones still have a lot of their old original genetics, mostly the old timers, but they share around among the area breeders, if you look it's all still out there and accessible. Sannie's is the only overseas company I will deal with and there's no reason to buy American strains from overseas mega banks. Pretty much any European worked strains I'm interested in I can get right here, either from the shop or fellow cultivators. Like us, a lot of these guys are getting older and they don't want these strains to disappear, so I feel that line of thought along with the fad I see coming and the medicinal side, we will see more of these old heirlooms and old land races pop into the market, The key is to find the legit ones before the market takes over and fucks everything up, in short the best time to find the legit stuff is now! Best places to look are here and the PNW, just think about who's out there. Before anybody says anything I'm talking land races and heirlooms, you talk modern poly's then you have to add Colorado, Michigan and Maine, there's some dank ass shit coming from all those. Damn Thai Stick in my BOH keeper has me rattling again, sorry, wait a minute, my son came over and we're smoking BOP, double sorry. Oh, Gas (Swami's) has a 1977 Jamaican and crosses coming real soon.:smoke

Best,

Baq

• Like 3

I’m amazed at the ignorance of bud tenders in the dispensaries about even the most basic breeding history.    Ask them for a Skunk #1, and their eyes glaze over.  Or a landrace, and they’ll be like “we don’t sell Land Rovers here”.   The kids know almost nothing about the history of indoor growing, how it was a product of necessity when smuggling became more and more difficult.  

The “great root ball rescue” should be required reading.   

• Like 2

I started growing indoors in 1974 under floresence lights and using Rapid Grow  for nutes. Grew kick ass plants, especially when a Burmese strain came in around 78 / 79 that would make you stand and stare.

Baq

• Like 2

Ahhhhh, the old fluorescents shop lights!   I had that little book about how the secret to growing was 1000 Metal Halide lamps, same lamps you see 60 feet in the air on the interstates, lol.   Can't recall what that was called, but it was the definitive indoor grow guide at the time, circa, 72 -73 maybe?  The whole schtick was how to grow great cannabis, you need to duplicate the sun, which is impossible with incandescents, or the fluorescents of the time.   But damn, did those things ever put out some heat!!!   God bless LED's!!   I've got HPS hoods, ballasts, and bulbs out the wazzoo, but don't think Goodwill will take them, lol.    

Electric companies knew anyone with long hair wanting to buy "just one"  1000 watter was probably growing back then.   

I will maintain any keepers of Esko's strains I find.

Holy P and Cheese Berry are currently under lights. Chucky, Boudica, Kinky Cheese and a full pack of the Chocolate Mix are still in storage, along with a few crosses he sent me after I gushed about his strains here. I also have half a pack of Jalisco Jaze. (Jaze can be stupifyingly powerful, if you get a good pheno. It's like amnesia haze with a different taste and scent.

I'll make F2s, if possible. If not, the keepers will be with me. I always found keepers when I grew Esko's work.

Edited by Misterdirt
  • Like 1

esko himself did not follow up on the mexicans. he started other lines and projects instead

(lc f5, damnesia, gf x bb , sanfune-copy, looking for keepers in chemota dragon ect ect ect).

that speaks for itself, imho.

michoacan was not worthwhile for me either and the guerrero is covered by swami.

i made a few crosses with the "g4" (how esko called her = guerrero pheno #4, brown

haired "acapulco red"-pheno), but i have other priorities atm, like preserving his classic

and (imvho, more original) crosses like cheeseberry, cbhaze, vanilluna, blue rocket ect.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Glad to hear your preserving the Esko classics.

Got some Sweet Spot going at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds good SAN!! I'd love a chance at getting the Cheeseberry and I heard good stuff about the Blue Rocket, too.... actually, all of those. Best vibes on it. 

peace

mrG

• Like 1

transplanted two chocolate cheese fems to 2l pots(looking very berry and very alike, very stoked) because none of the CR fems cracked, rip :cry (reproduce the cr already! cmon :nerd)

On 12/13/2018 at 8:29 PM, santero said:

vanilluna

or Vannila Haze aka Vanilla Sky? I would have loved to grow that one...

• Like 1

i meant vanilluna-work in general. there was other stuff made

with her, but not released ... these are of more interest to me.

let's see what i come up with in 2019. it will be a big year with a few very rare esko-lines coming from me.

tbh, i see esko's openly released work already being preserved by many others, so there is no (real) need for

me to mind about those (?) ... other then new batches of new f1 with the original parents later on ... maybe.

@Misterdirt

woah, these must be at least 3-5 year old seeds.

it has been a while since i saw or smoked these.

let me know how the sweet spot does for you, pls.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, santero said:

i meant vanilluna-work in general. there was other stuff made

with her, but not released ... these are of more interest to me.

Sounds good to me!!!

Feeling a bit gutted to hear the mexican lines were not good enough for Esko, I bought the seeds with a bit higher expectations.
Seems they won't get any indoor space, reserved for an eventual outdoor cross pollination.

Cheers

• Like 1

His opinion may not be the same as ours, ;).

He is very modest in his description of Aztec Rain and I hear nothing but raves about it. I'm sure his bar is set very high,  just from the strains I've had the pleasure to smoke.

His grade B may our grade A.... Best vibes. 

peace

mrG

• Like 1

lol, don't get it wrong, people ...

esko released the mexi-ones he deemed worthwhile and dropped the projects on the others.

• Like 2