•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

gardenartus

What to use when cloning when your plants stop rooting

I had 100% success rates on the clones since I switched to a rooting hormone and soil. I believe my cloner, like the ballast might need replaced. I used to have 100% rate with the hydroponic system, I then could not get one to root. I changed a lot out, new sprayers etc. It was not a way to go when you have to grow for others. With advice of a few, then @Sacred Plant Warriorgently pushing me to change back to soil, and using rooting hormone. I am now back. Appreciate the advice given to me, I Know I left a couple folks out here, know I do appreciate your help.

This is only my experience, perhaps others can tell what has worked and not for them. Then we can have grow journal guides of what works when other things fail.

i swore a cloning thread of sorts was here already. good luck with the sites search feature as i gave up on it years ago lol.  hell i have had all methods work for me. just didn't like the lower percentages i got with peat pellets. that made me start looking at a hydro/bubbler types of cloners. i made my own and needed to tweak it. then said fuck it and brought the gro clone because of price and 40 + sites as i'd never need more than that. I'm going to try the rapid rooters next just cause i have them and sometimes it's easier than having to use a cloner for only a couple of cuts. set them up monitor occasionally and wait for roots.

i know u must be miffed at why your hydro method went left. but had to be something simple that was overlooked i reckon. :) don't give up. I'm almost ready to take another shot as the universes timing is in my favor now :) 

i used search lol. i fooled the fucking thing and caught it off guard lol. 

I use a small room greenhouse with seramis on the floor, a little damp but not too wet, jiffies come on it with the cuts, a heatmat underneath, close the roof and then just wait. Briefly air once a day, if necessary spray a little with water. No hormones or other helpers. Most important for me where the heatmat and not to move the greenhouse.

One of the new gardens I help set up, recently went completely rootless, after enjoying a couple of years of excellent rooting numbers. Failed with Rapid Rooters, failed with pucks, perlite, in water, on a heat mat, everything was for nothing.

I did find Green Pads a package of CO2 pads, to add under your dome, in one of the pockets of the tray. We had roots in 5 days from the exact plants we had weeks of failure from.

We were after each try, cleaning the 10/20's, the inserts and the domes. Everything was fresh, but until I got that package of pads, we went rootless for to long!!

A bit of blahblahblah:https://www.maximumyield.com/the-benefits-of-adding-co2-during-the-cloning-stage/2/3323

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, webeblzr said:

One of the new gardens I help set up, recently went completely rootless, after enjoying a couple of years of excellent rooting numbers. Failed with Rapid Rooters, failed with pucks, perlite, in water, on a heat mat, everything was for nothing.

I did find Green Pads a package of CO2 pads, to add under your dome, in one of the pockets of the tray. We had roots in 5 days from the exact plants we had weeks of failure from.

We were after each try, cleaning the 10/20's, the inserts and the domes. Everything was fresh, but until I got that package of pads, we went rootless for to long!!

A bit of blahblahblah:https://www.maximumyield.com/the-benefits-of-adding-co2-during-the-cloning-stage/2/3323

So @webeblzr, so you have a theory as to why this started happening in the first place and why CO2 fixed it?  Do the mother plants for some reason not have enough c02 and so you have to supplement? Did the environment change?

DB

• Like 1

I use Rapid Rootersjust as they come from the bag..

cut the clones and put under a 15 watt bolb..roots in 7/10 days..

just took 43 clones from my Mohawk and got 42/43 and I discarded another that was soooo small'

used to use pellets abd changer to RR...they both work..

• Like 1

[so you have a theory as to why this started happening in the first place]

Hey Darth Budder, I do not man.

I/we do not keep mother plants for taking cut's 2 clone from, just not enough space. So we simply use the trim up material, for the 2 months in veg, while the flower room, is full.

I think if we dont keep up a cleaning cycle with the cloning gear, the rooted numbers can fall back. I also think some genetics root quicker than others. 

I think we get some type of organism, maybe on the other end of the beneficial organism scale, if that even exists.

I ALWAYS thought the green pads was just another snake oil item. However when you experience something, it's becomes  more thought provoking, well to me anyway. So my guess, is the CO2 helps the cuttings stay greened longer, so the roots have more time to develop. 

BUT I also think, Bigun with the smaller 15 watt light is spot on also. I think lower light sources help rooting more than a strong light.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use 15 watts tube light, 4 x 4 cm rock-wool blocks and lukewarm tap-water for quite a while and frankly i find this most convenient. One can write on the labels and you don't have to clean up behind rock-wool. Rock on rock-wool!

This is the result from cuttings i made about two weeks ago from my aborted Shackzilla grow out of seed.

IMG_4045.thumb.JPG.fcccadf76ced66cbe15291ea12a392cf.JPGIMG_4047.thumb.JPG.a9f104aecaf4d45780c8c95893767552.JPGIMG_4046.thumb.JPG.9832f0d9351c17604d8093470fcff67e.JPG

Some root quicker than others as you can see, even clones from the same mother. Soon as the first cuttings show roots and the blocks are almost dry, i water them with nutriment (Ec 1.6 and pH 5.5)  instead of simply lukewarm tap-water. Sometimes when i don't have time i do give them tap-water after they are rooted. This makes the cuttings yellow out a bit, but that really isn't much of a problem. They will grow over it quickly soon as they get a bite to eat. 

Far as i am concerned easy does it so i do it easy! 

• Like 6

On 10/4/2018 at 2:08 PM, Indicalicious said:

I use a small room greenhouse with seramis on the floor, a little damp but not too wet, jiffies come on it with the cuts, a heatmat underneath, close the roof and then just wait. Briefly air once a day, if necessary spray a little with water. No hormones or other helpers. Most important for me where the heatmat and not to move the greenhouse.

Yea that 's a good option you can go with