•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Mass Medicinals

New to bubble hash

Hey All,

We're trying to get input about best practices for making bubble hash.

Items we have:
- 8 micron 5-gal bags (25, 45, 73, 90, 120, 160, 190, 225 microns)
- wooden spoon (ibuprofen for maximum effort)

We were thinking about doing the following:

Using 2 buckets. Bucket #1 for bag-free mixing of plant and Ice and water  / Bucket #2 for the straining (4 micron bags, 220, 160, 90, 25)

Mixing bucket, place plant matter and Ice in with ice cold water and mix for 20 minutes then pour into bucket 2 and ensure all material gets into bucket 2
let sit for 20 minutes
slowly separate out the bags (Put the plant matter back in Freezer to prep for round #2)
Collect kief on micron pressing screen and repeat.

We don't have a good way to dry the hash other than pressing it with a towel on the outside of the screen.
Also we have other size bags any feelings on changing the above ratio?

perhaps 160, 73, 25 -or- 190, 90, 45

[ We don't have a good way to dry the hash other than pressing it with a towel on the outside of the screen.
Also we have other size bags any feelings on changing the above ratio?

perhaps 160, 73, 25 -or- 190, 90, 45]

I have a heat mat for a pair of 10/20's to sit on. When I needed to dry my bubble bag extractions, I would lay a thin sheet of cardboard onto the tray, then my pressing screen, and then plop the goo onto them, set the temp around 80+ degrees or so, may change for colder or warmer times. But that really cut down on the waiting to dry time.

I would hang my small sieve bags over the sink in a 5 g bucket with the bottom full of holes, and my 2 work bags (largest sieves) nested  in a pair of 5 g bucket s, one has the bottom is full of holes, the other solid, on a chair, next to the sink.

I can snap a pic or so if you can not visualize my poor description.

Once I beat the contents in the heavy bags, I had bungees, hanging over both sets of buckets. I would pull the work bags from the bucket, letting them hang over a catch pan, and dump the lower bucket (no holes in bottom) goodies into the final bags, sitting the sink, letting the extracted water pass on as the sieves collect the goodies.

So as it hangs,  the stream of spent water slows down to a trickle as the heads clog the sieves, so you will  learn the quick wrist snap, with a slight up and down motion, to make a jerking motion to make the water gush out as the heads are now dislodged a bit from the quick upward snap, more water will gush, on the down motion, then slow, so another wrist snap, WITHOUT adding any pressure to the sides of the sieves.

NEVER squeeze your bags/sieves to speed that up, you just contaminate your pure bubble with plant bits from expanding the sieves.

A quick snap of the wrist and water weight expels more, you just need to repeat it like a thousand times.

Just my way, many others will have better or other ways to do this.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice @webeblzr!! 

First run we did 160, 90, 45, 25

Every other run we did 90, 45, 25

We ran things through yesterday. Not sure on the total weight of the fresh frozen trim. But stopped after about 6 hours of doing runs non-stop. My arms and wrists are beat to crap. I will definitely be making a snorkel for bucket #1, so that the liquid just pours out the bottom and then I reload on water and start beating the plant matter again.

Any suggestions on processing the collected grades? They are just chilling out in the fridge right now. We do have a strainer but no microplaner.

Can this be converted into those brown hash balls/bricks that look oh so lovely?

Hey MM, again me personally, hash in it's loose state is more workable, no useable, like going into a joint, or into cooking items, or when we just wanted a chunk, I would just make sole hash, folding a couple to a few grams of loose into a small piece of parchment paper, or wax paper, folded up to make a packet. Then I put my socks on, the packet goes into my shoe, and I go about my day. In the evening it's usually a mass. Not as hard a pressed hash, but fine enough for us.

If we owned a microwave I guess I could just heat and press it, but have owned one in many years now. and do not miss it.

Trapping moisture may cause it to mold. 

For storage, IMHO nothing beats the refrigerator or freezer. I use uncooked rice in a wide mouth mason jelly jars, then sink my small packages into it and freeze.

Weed, just gets, prepared, cured, and into the freezer, in quart wide mouth mason jars.

I had shut myself down a couple of years ago, for a while. The only buds we had were stored in mason jars, sealed and frozen. Every jar opened to the exact freshness of the day it was sealed and put in. 

I never did build a dry sift myself. If I was going at it again, I would look into ultrasonic extractions myself.

Best to ya!

Okay so update...

First attempt at this with 200 grams of sugar leaf. Used a spoon. And the result was amazing. We did like 5-6 runs and the material never turned green on us.

Second attempt 454 grams of mainly bud and then sugar leaf. Used a paint mixing drill attachment. The results were super green. We did 3 runs and it was super green and gooey. And this was with fresh frozen buds, not just sugar leaf.

Not sure what we did wrong.

Hey! 

My 2cents. The increased shear from mixer attachment pulverized the frozen bud into small enough particles to pass the screen.  The "gooeyness" is probably related to this as well.  Trichomes stuck to the small particles in suspension or the water's viscosity has increased a from air and the particles thru the mixing.  I bet your smaller screens got clogged quicker too?

I would chop the frozen bud into dime size chucks and use the spoon.  Before stirring, you might try hitting the bucket with the spoon.  This "shock" might break some of the trichs off without disturbing the plant material as much?  Maybe a vibrating sander to agitate the water?  That might actually work but seems ridiculous.  

Better yet...skip the water and use dry ice!

• Like 1

I should give Webeblzr credit...the sander idea probably came from his ultrasonic extraction suggestion, which would be sweet if you ended up doing!

• Like 2

Hey Trimmermuffin, your idea is excellent, as this spring and early summer, I decided to sand our 50+ year old wooden floors. AS I wrestled that big assed sander into my house, installed the thick pad directly to the orbital shaker plate, then a sheet of sand paper to that, and started that big motor, man my floors were vibrating so freaking hard!! You could feel it in the walls! And loud, WOW!!

But as I read your words, I can see that whole sander inverted, with the buckets and bags, on the shaker plate, making very short work of some frozen herb and ice.

• Like 1

Here you go, watch this, from the Mohammed Ali of bubble hash, Subcool himself:   

"Using 2 buckets. Bucket #1 for bag-free mixing of plant and Ice and water  / Bucket #2 for the straining (4 micron bags, 220, 160, 90, 25)"

Absolutely, that way, you won't tear your bags mixing.  I do mine in five gallon buckets using an electric drill and paint mixer to turn my mix to snow, then rinse that through my bags.  I strain with my 220 and 160, then that's my "hash mash" I use for final run, and to keep rinsing with .  Rule numero uno for decent yield, keep everything super cold.  I'll usually run my mix three times, before yield drops way off.     Also, you'll find the only one worth smoking is the 25,  maybe the 90, everything else is kind of schwag, IMO, unless maybe you're using 100 percent bud, then the 90's  not bad.  My final is a 20 and a 70.  

Good luck, hope this helps!  

• Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 5:35 PM, Mass Medicinals said:

Additional question:

Any issues pressing hash before it is 100% dry

Any opinions on storing hash; as dry sift vs. heat pressed.

Get a hammer press on Amazon, they're fun, and you can impress your friends with your cool hash "pucks"!    

I press mine with my screen and a towel, then it takes 5 days or so to dry, losing 75% of it's weight, then I take that and put in into this:  https://www.amazon.com/Grindhouse-Steel-Hammer-Style-Pollen/dp/B071XSVZCF/ref=asc_df_B071XSVZCF/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=216532839499&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9315959533414233689&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016512&hvtargid=pla-348610949942&psc=1    They work really well, just very lightly oil the cylinder with olive oil, and they release better.  Nice thing is, I just weigh a gram of dried hash, then press it.   

I store mine just like pot, in Ball jars, with a Boveda 62% humidity pack, if you don't have any, you want some of these,.  

Ice hash is fun!  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mass Medicinals said:

Lol that video is great. 

And next run I'm going to completely copy that process. Smaller batch runs, more ice, and allowing it to sit.

Yeah, I've only gotten full melt a few times, always when I was using  all bud instead of trim, a bit hard to do with leftovers.  

These days, I use pretty much 100% sugar trim, and trash the rest, better quality, and I've got so much of it.  

Ugh....

So we followed that video pretty much as they did it. Only we let ours sit in the fridge during rest periods.

collection 1 from the 45 bag was pretty blonde, but didn't have a lot.

All other collections (bags: 90,45,25), from over 6 runs were various colors of green.

This is getting really frustrating. Reminds me of how we failed to extract golden oils from quick Iso rinses back in the day.

Did you over mix it or put too much material in at one time and over mix it that way. you should have seen the water getting far to dark and stopped. ijs

if the material going in is prepped correctly should be no reason with proper water to ice ratios you don't get the goods. Yet, as u see with the automatics bubble washers they do not beat the fuck out of the material. they just swish swash getting everything loose without mashing the green material into the water. which sounds like that's what you did with the mixer.

you will get more input and examples by using google and youtube. then pick your poison, don't expect to be spoon fed though. ijs

• Like 1

Six runs is way too much, if you're using the same material.   I do three at most, and the yield drops way off third time through.  Green isn't necessarily bad,  most of mine is a sandy green color.  You can tell immediately when smoking a 25 vs a 45 or 60 the only one tasting clean will be the 25, the others have a bunch of plant material in them.

Anything over 25 is trash, or edibles, in my opinion.   But don't be discouraged.  I've had runs that yield more, and some that yield less, just depends on the bud you're using AND how much.  My last run of 6 oz of sugar trim yielded 15 grams of 20, and about 9 grams of 60.   I use 3 five gallon buckets usually, one to mix, one to rinse into, and to sift the bags.   Always freeze your bud good before, too, helps.           

Good advice on overbeating, but I've turned mine to snow before, with great results.  I then just "rinse" the snow into my bags 2 or 3 times before trashing it.  

I am relatively new to bubble hash making, so i'll pop my question here. Normally i'd kneed the fresh collected kief into a ball when still wet and squeeze out the moist to press it, but somehow the hash becomes very stinky that way. So i decided to take a different approach. Last time i sieved the kief when almost dry and after a week it has turned into powder. I tried pressing the kief with a hot iron in baking paper and also with a vise, but both without success. And that pisses me off honestly. 

How do i press it into a nice block of hash (not like the guy from the video above)?

2 hours ago, Hamme Hydro said:

I am relatively new to bubble hash making, so i'll pop my question here. Normally i'd kneed the fresh collected kief into a ball when still wet and squeeze out the moist to press it, but somehow the hash becomes very stinky that way. So i decided to take a different approach. Last time i sieved the kief when almost dry and after a week it has turned into powder. I tried pressing the kief with a hot iron in baking paper and also with a vise, but both without success. And that pisses me off honestly. 

How do i press it into a nice block of hash (not like the guy from the video above)?

I got your back on this one.  Here's what you want:    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071XSVZCF/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wrestled with the same issue, and googled "hash press" and came up with these, and they work GREAT!  Kind of fun, too!    Now, I just weigh a gram of bubble hash, stick it in the press, and whack it a few good times with my trusty Craftsman kief compression impact tool, aka, my hammer.    

Quick tip, each gram, I coat the inside with a VERY thin coat of olive oil, less than a drop, helps it release.  I then drop my beautiful little hash "pucks" in a ball jar with a Bovea humidity pack.  

This is a pic of grade B bubble pucks, the grade A looks much better, and holds it's shape better,  but I smoked all of it, lol.  These are about five months old.   

B80D5C3F-02CE-4C30-9107-7CFB2AB4C594.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for your reply Dieseldog! I'm not trying to sound picky, but that hash looks like it powders when you cut it and i am looking for a press that turns my hash into a block i can cut without it crumbling back into powder.

Check out this vid of Frenchy Cannoli and his method.  Its a little long, but worth the watch.  This is the way I do it now.  Most of the problems with green material are due to the buds not being dried.  The trichs have got to cure on the front end or the back end.  I have gotten much better results drying it out first and then running. 

Good Luck!

Edited by Tiger
uploaded the wrong vid twice. lol

I make so much of it I bought a "bubble now" machine.....................basically a cheap small apt washing machine.  Best part about it is its BAG. Bud goes in the bag, bag is correct micron size, gets get hauls, never green. I run 6-7 minutes, only 2 runs per bag. I keep the 90,73,and 25 . If your getting green, your using too much force in the agitation.

gallery_11129_5838_152270.jpg

• Like 2