•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Maria sanchez

Sannies' Jack, Killing Fields + Jack Candy - Tropical Guerilla Grow

Sannies' Jack, Killing Fields + Jack Candy - Tropical Guerilla Grow

Just did a bean drop for the official Maria tropical guerilla grow in my new location.
The "tester" run was here, but I haven't even checked on them since putting them out...

Have been eyeing up Sannies' seeds for a long time.
Love the work he has done with the Jack Herer, creating his own F9 IBL Jacks!!!
And then a few other Jack crosses, like the Killing Fields.
Plus got Jack Candy (NAW) for freebies.

3 X Sannies Jack F9 (photo, reg) -- from Sannies' Seeds
2 X Killing Fields F8 (?) (photo, fem) -- from Sannies' Seeds
5 X Jack Candy (freebies, photo, reg) -- from NAW (through Sannies')

Decided to drop 10 beans in total, prob going into 5 pots (2 beans / pot).
Leaving me with 7 Jack, 3 KF for future grows.
They're in little sponge pots, which Sannie recommends and I got sent with order.

1713533238_20181014SanniesBeanDropSJKFJC(1).thumb.jpg.807b84fa61b9151bdc8eec3498c71752.jpg
Beans are:
JC -- JC -- JC
-- JC --- JC --
SJ -- SJ -- SJ
-- KF --- KF --

1494493223_20181014SanniesBeanDropSJKFJC(2).thumb.jpg.e12406d84273448c9dbe0d7cd6c6743b.jpg
In they go!

1603665829_20181014SanniesBeanDropSJKFJC(3).thumb.jpg.248e5779acbac0bc224a358a38ba9482.jpg
Soaking in a little Bacto for healthy start to life.
Have saved a little more Bacto for transplanting.

Can check out some of Sannies' strains in his photo gallery here.
I'm not going to end up with anything like that in this wild guerilla grow, but nice inspiration!

Sannies Jack (reg, photo) is Sannies' F9 IBL from Sensi Jack Herer. Hasn't been crossed with anything else. So can be considered inbred line by now. Goes for about 11-13 weeks, supposed to be much more stable than Sensi Jack. Sannie seems to have bred it for single stem SoG or topped ScroG growing, especially at 12/12 from seed, or maybe just 1 week of 18/6. That's a reason why I think it should be good for my tropical climate at about 12/12 to 11/13 right through the grow.

Killing Fields (fem, photo) is up to about F8 by now, I think, so almost IBL. Originally a cross between The One and Sannies' Jack. The One is itself Blueberry Sativa X (Killa Queen X NYCD), so has a lot of the Jack also in the Killa Queen from C99. The Blueberry gives the purple pheno, I guess. If you search on Open Grow forum, there is an amazing thread from the breeder on his selection and breeding process. Excellent learning material for any wannabe pollen chuckers like myself, haha.

Jack Candy (reg, photo) are freebies only, seem to be a cross that hasn't made it to the shop, just freebies. Is Jack Hammer X Head Candy. Jack Hammer is Jack X Amnesia Haze, and Head Candy is Killa Queen X Blue Hammer. NAW breeder Poldergrower says it'll run about 11-12 weeks, sativa dominant pheno, pineapple flavor (maybe from the Jack?)

Assuming that these plants can make it through to harvest, or at least a few of them, should be able to get some females, and maybe a male, to make some crosses. There's enough Jack Herer in all three strains to get a nice Jack cross somewhere in there. Let's see.

Now... have a shopping list:

• Cups for seedling growth. Will do "insta-planters".
  • Soil mix, local stuff, a couple of bags.
  • Some kind of pots or bags, maybe just 5 pots / bags @ 5-10 L each will be ok.
  • Nappies -- to rip out some polyacrylate crystals for water retention.

If possible, but not urgent:

• Some kind of bloom fert / nutes. No idea what at this point...

Love ya all!
:love:
MJS

• Like 3

Very nice line up. This will be a fun one to watch.  :popcorn:  Good luck and may the canna gods be on your side.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2018 at 8:31 PM, Justcozz said:

Very nice line up. This will be a fun one to watch.  :popcorn:  Good luck and may the canna gods be on your side.

Thanks!

Ganja Goddess and Siva always in my court!

These beans are slow to germ...
3 days in, one Jack is germing well, but yet to pop the soil.
The other Jacks are germing slowly...
The Killing Fields, just burst the shell, barely...
The Jack Candys... no sign at all.

Hmmm.... not sure why. The spongepots should be ideal environment.
The temps have been pretty much perfect, maybe 25-28C,
a bit of light and sunshine filtered through cloth.

Waiting for the beanz to pop.
Growers hell... :P

Almost 7 days since bean drop.

Nothing out of the ground yet, and most not cracked.

Going to miss my indoor start window if this continues... noooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sad 1

Something wrong with these beans I think... 8.5 days and nothing...

Pretty much followed the instructions by the book.

Last 20-30 beans I've dropped haven't been a problem.

Not sure if it's the beans or the spongepots.

Anyone else having issues?...

• Sad 1

Just popped 3 Jack f9's with no problems. Paper towel and a heat mat. They popped in under 24 hrs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, douglasfurtrapper said:

Just popped 3 Jack f9's with no problems. Paper towel and a heat mat. They popped in under 24 hrs.

Thanks for that info @douglasfurtrapper.

Your Jack F9s should be the same generation as mine (not sure if that's the same batch, but probably...)

So is making me wonder what happened...

Last couple of years I've just done a RO water soak for 24-36 hrs, then into soil,

or 24-26 hrs, then into paper towel for a day or two, then into soil.

Wonder if it's the spongepots or the bacto.

The bacto smells okay, has that kind of sweet natural hint to it, but nothing like mold or anything.

Temps have been a constant 25-28, which should be about perfect, plus a bit of filtered light.

• Like 2

25/28 degrees C is a little hot for germination i reckon.

They would like to have it between min. 20/24 degrees C max.
Then there will be no problem popping those.

If temp gets too high the baby's can reduce to a snotty pulp.

• Like 2

Maybe the temp is too warm, but I've definitely germinated around those temps before. Might be sponge pots? 

I would replicate conditions from your past successes and see if you can get at least one jack to pop. Stinks that you're having issues. Good luck! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Collie Weed said:

25/28 degrees C is a little hot for germination i reckon.

They would like to have it between min. 20/24 degrees C max.
Then there will be no problem popping those.

If temp gets too high the baby's can reduce to a snotty pulp.

Hey there @Collie Weed

Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps a little high.

Though, apart from a recent late fall / winter grow, all my last plants were germed at about this temp range.

Interesting thing, the seeds haven't rotted at all, they are still intact and hard.

It's not like when they crack, then sick in wet conditions, until the inside rots out.

But you're right, it's not the perfect temps.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, douglasfurtrapper said:

Maybe the temp is too warm, but I've definitely germinated around those temps before. Might be sponge pots? 

I would replicate conditions from your past successes and see if you can get at least one jack to pop. Stinks that you're having issues. Good luck! 

Hello again @douglasfurtrapper

Yes, I've also germed at similar temps. It could be the issue, but I'm not sure...

It would make sense to replicate past conditions and see if I can crack a Jack.

But... my window to start inside and then plant out has passed.

If I did manage to crack one, it would end up being wasted.

Since I've already pretty much last my 5 Jack Candy freebies,

3 out of 10 reg Jacks and 2 out of 5 fem Killing Fields,

not sure I want to lose another Jack in the process...

May just hold onto them until I get another grow opportunity.

Though it means that the garden will be empty and no herb for me for quite some time...

Damn.

On 10/26/2018 at 10:50 PM, SiCKNeSs said:

Hola @Maria sanchez    Have you bought the seeds recently or have you stored them for a long time?

Greetings SiCKNeSs.

Just bought and sent. I'm not sure which batch of the Jacks and Killing Fields they come from though.

The solution is very simple, you must to write a message to Sannie telling him what happened and he will solve your problem!

Greetings SiCKNeSs.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SiCKNeSs said:

The solution is very simple, you must to write a message to Sannie telling him what happened and he will solve your problem!

Greetings SiCKNeSs.

I shall, thanks. Mainly just to give him the heads up about the situation.

I'm sure he'd like to keep an eye on such things, as a breeder, about seed viability.

9 hours ago, Maria sanchez said:

I shall, thanks. Mainly just to give him the heads up about the situation.

I'm sure he'd like to keep an eye on such things, as a breeder, about seed viability.

Sannie takes a great care of those details.

Greetings SiCKNeSs.

• Like 1

I am sorry to see the seeds are not germing.

Just a few thing that be kept in mind while germing :

It is important to put the seeds not to deep into the spongepots, make the soil a bit loser on the top and be sure the seed is laying lose in the soil and not pressed in. Cover the seed with a little bit of lose soil.

Use a heating mat or more simple a fuo bulb and keep it on for 24 hours a day to keep a stable climate.

use a bit of soil or perlite on the bottom of the propagator to get a high humidity, temp should be around the 23 celsius.

It is always difficult to judge what you are doing from this seat but it is weird that 3 strains are not germing, I have made the sannie's Jack seeds myself and popped 40 of them 3 weeks ago with great result.

I would start all over and do it again but maybe without the spongepots ?

If you are coming short on seeds just shoot me a pm and I will send some extra. Hope the next try will go better

greetz sannie

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2018 at 3:10 PM, sannie said:

I am sorry to see the seeds are not germing.

Just a few thing that be kept in mind while germing :

It is important to put the seeds not to deep into the spongepots, make the soil a bit loser on the top and be sure the seed is laying lose in the soil and not pressed in. Cover the seed with a little bit of lose soil.

Use a heating mat or more simple a fuo bulb and keep it on for 24 hours a day to keep a stable climate.

use a bit of soil or perlite on the bottom of the propagator to get a high humidity, temp should be around the 23 celsius.

It is always difficult to judge what you are doing from this seat but it is weird that 3 strains are not germing, I have made the sannie's Jack seeds myself and popped 40 of them 3 weeks ago with great result.

I would start all over and do it again but maybe without the spongepots ?

If you are coming short on seeds just shoot me a pm and I will send some extra. Hope the next try will go better

greetz sannie

Hello Sannie,

So glad you took the time to respond. It's really appreciated. No wonder everyone here loves you!! 

The seeds were not deep at all. Just about as deep as a seed is long, maybe less than 5 mm.
They weren't tightly put in place, and the cover of spongepot is quite loose on top, never pressed down.

I don't use a heating mat, because it is already very warm here.
Temp range about 25-28 C over 24 hr period.
If anything, it may be a little too warm, as mentioned above.

The fact that it happened with all three strains makes me also think it's not the seeds themselves.
Perhaps it's the spongepots, or the bacto, or a combination.

I would usually just do another seed drop, using my trusted methods:
1. 24 hr soak in RO water. (Usually seeds crack by then.)
2. Into soil.
OR.
2. Into wet paper towels for 24-48 hrs (maybe if they haven't cracked in the RO water.)

Last 3 or 4 grows have had about 90% success rate, and only failures were seeds that others had problems with too.
It was a documented "grow competition" on another growing forum... (many others had seeds from that breeder that failed).

But... my short time frame to germ and start the plants before planting outside guerilla grow is now passed.
I'm in a new country and place, and maybe not here long enough to set up a better indoor garden.

So I may have to wait quite some time, next year some time, for my next grow.
(Though there's a small chance I'll be in a "legal state" then!!)

May get back to you on the extra seeds -- you are a very, very generous man!!!

Love and hugs, Sannie,
~MJS