•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Hamme Hydro

Washing plants post harvest?

I have a severe case of spider-mites on my Amnesia plants. It is almost time to harvest them and i don't like the idea of smoking all those mites in a few weeks. 

Now i stumbled upon a conversation about washing your cannabis plants post harvest. I did a little research and found this video.

Having a clean smoke after a spider-mite invasion is very appealing to me. Just to be save i'd like some second opinions tho. So, has anybody ever tried this? 

• Like 1

mix some hydrogen peroxide and water in a big tub.

wash your buds, let air dry for about an hour on a rack or sheet pan.

then hang or process as normal.

you can leave on stem or cut first.  they are easy to wash if still on stem.  just hold one end of stem and move the stem throughout the water for 15 seconds or longer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Can i do that with buds that are seperated from the stem too? Since i cut my buds with a tumble trimmer.

Never washed mine before, but I don't see why not. Being on the stem would just make it easier to dip and shake the water off. Give it a shot with a few buds and see what you think. Toss them on your drying rack and shake it a bit. Let us know how it worked.

• Like 1

matter of strength.  you also can do a rinse with just water after using if you like

I stand by my advice which has been in practice for about 20 years.

• Like 3

I'm with Hempyfan on this. I think a diluted mix of hydrogen peroxide would have minimal effect on the terps. Besides, everything is a give and take. I'd rather loose a little of the terpenes than to smoke bugs. 

Let us know how it works for you Hamme.

• Like 2

IF i would ever do that, i would ice extract it, since dead bugs float, but if yuo wanna keep the plant material just use 3% peroxide, as that will bleach hair already, dont add lemons or baking products ;) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HUFFnPUFF said:

... since dead bugs float,...

But do you need to kill them before they'll float?

Does H2O2 make them float better?

3 hours ago, Hamme Hydro said:

Which peroxide do i have to use? 

Hey bro, just use the stuff at your local pharmacy. I think it's usually 3%. Mix that into water with the same ratio as in the video you posted. 

As far as whether it helps them float..I doubt it. I think the reason for the peroxide is to super oxygenate the water, killing bacteria and most likely kills the insects. But who cares how and if it kills them, as long as the bugs are gone. 

I suspect that's they bud wouldn't taste betteralso. Removing dust and other crap that falls n them during the grow would result in better taste.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HUFFnPUFF said:

dont add lemons or baking products ;) 

Why not? In the third and last bucket you wash them in is clear water.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, FoolOnTheHill said:

But do you need to kill them before they'll float?

Does H2O2 make them float better?

Dead bugs float to heaven, living bugs float to the surface 

@Hamme Hydro baking soda = sodium bicarbonate = not somethingi want to smoke, what purpose would it have? contaminates already float to the surface (same for the lemons, why?) i get it when used on moldy buds (brrr) but thats not your issue

• Like 1

Lemon juice and baking soda is an old school remedy for washing cannabis... and many other plants/vegetables.  It's a, tried and true, cannabis cleaning method that has been used for decades by home gardeners worldwide because it works. You'll need two rinsing buckets for this method.

Diluted Hydrogen peroxide is how horticulturists clean their plants. Mix a half cup of 3% H2O2 into 5 gallons of water, soak the plant material in the solution for a few minutes, take out and rinse thoroughly, then hang to dry.

Both methods work well. The H2O2 method is a two stage process and the lemon/soda method is a three stage process.

Both do will get the job done quickly and rinsing the flowers afterwards is essential to ensure your flowers are clean.

• Like 3

[https://www.cannabisindustryjournal.com/tag/hydrogen-peroxide/]

It does talk about yeast and mold, being washed off, but how does the baking soda stay out of the sticky trichomes? Or the bug bodies,? 

Man how harsh, to see your buds covered in webs and bugs, damn bad luck.

I think when it happens to me, I'll freeze my buds first, then try the wash. If my loupe is still showing eyes looking back at me, then I'll extract it all, and enjoy some oil for while.

•  
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2018 at 4:44 PM, Hamme Hydro said:

That makes sense, but using ice would knock of trichomes i am affraid. 

yes, but it would produce the cleanest product, so to please both sides i would only use lukewarm water, no special recipe 

• Like 1

I tossed the plants, the damage was beyond washing. Luckily it were only two i had in the garden during summer. 

• Sad 1

a little late I guess. I washed a harvest of kush supernova and removed all the bad stuff, but the good stuff too. weed was strong smoke but lacks in taste and smell and the overall experience was just shitty...other people liked it for the strong effect it had still in it.

greetz

• Like 1