•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

mosey

Inexpensive Soil

I can never make it work.  I don't need really expensive soil.  Foxfarm or Roots Organic does the trick.  But anytime I've decided to buy less expensive soil my plants suffer.  Some people may be tempted to say duh at this point.  But hear me out.  I can grow all kinds of plants in inexpensive soil, peppers, eggplants, tomatoes etc.  But not weed.  Why do you think that is?  I was wondering if maybe it's because the breeders are doing their selections using great soil every time.  So what we've got are a bunch of 'temperamental' genetics today.  That sounds like a stretch though, still, pricey soil shouldn't be a barrier to growing decent pot, should it?

Less expensive soils  may not have the nutrient load Foxfarm or Root has.   Lots of folks get hung up on the "super soil" recipe, but I found that to generally be too hot, in most situations.  Less is often more.

I've used ProMix HP, with awesome results.  Just pretend your pot is a tomato, they'll do fine.  In fact, even found some here who swear by Texas Tomato Food, and that's all the give them.

Ditto on what Hamme said, get a bucket, drop an air stone in it, a grow in water.  Super easy, super cheap. super fast, and super effective.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys.  I believe both of you, and I've even seen people use cheap soil with good results.  But, I've heard from many more about their bad results. Also, a quick search shows that a lot of people are concerned about what soil to use, and more often than not they are advised to go for the more expensive stuff.  It's like this with anything.  If you have a software issue you can bet that it works on somebody's machine --worked on my computer; right?

But I'm wondering about the big picture.  It may be nothing.  I'm just curious.  You guys don't think it could be the selection environment for a lot of genetics?    

I think you should try an inert medium, so you know exactly what you have. Dirt is expensive and you cannot see what's in it. 

• Like 1

@mosey hi there 

if you use a cheep soil add extra perlite, bone meal ,blood meal, and myco fungi, and bat / seabirds guano  

soul is better tasting then hydro 

good luck 

• Like 3

Hey @dieseldog381, I've been wanting to use Texas Tomato Food. @gardenartus uses and speaks highly of it. She uses it in her octopots, not sure if she uses it in her regular pots. She has some pretty amazing plants that any of use would be proud to produce. I think she said she mixes as the label suggests. Maybe she will chime in when she logs on. 

As far a inexpensive soil, Paps hit the nail on the head. But it really depends on your budget and what you want. You can go with coco and perlite (reusable and very cheap) and add nutes. Or spend some extra $ up front and mix your own "super soil" and reuse multiple times with minimal additives before each run. 

As far as hydro, I think @Hamme Hydro has the simplest and least expensive set up. I have considered trying his method, but watering is the downfall for me. With soil I can leave my girls for a week if needed. I'd have to set up a timer for auto feeding, and being in a rural area, I have a lot of power outages. I'd have to have battery back up to be confident my plants are watered, those get pricey. So that's the only thing stopping me from "Hamme hydroing" my garden. Lol

• Like 3

Yes, bro, i do believe that the hydro growing method i use is very easy, inexpensive and idiot proof. If watering is the only reason you are hesitant to try it, than i have good news: It is no problem to leave the girls alone for a week or even two if needed. Just pour enough water in the leaking tray before you go and they'll be fine.  Remember: on hydro they don't mind wet feet! Sure, it can stimulate algae growth, but that ain't much of an issue.  On the other hand, if they get dry feet, you have a problem! 

• Like 1

@Hamme Hydro I like the idea of hydro but in the northeast I get power outages in a major snowstorm lines down 

i was looking into flood and drain 

i figure I could do that manually if needed not sure 

getting old hauling soil is getting old ( bad back an all the old crap lol) I saw a self contained system ( platinum 100 I think  9 plant ) 

sorry off topic 

soil with grauno in it makes weed tasty 

peace 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hamme Hydro said:

I think you should try an inert medium, so you know exactly what you have. Dirt is expensive and you cannot see what's in it. 

I like that idea.  You mean to make sure it's not the genetics right?  I've enjoyed hydro in the past.  But since switching to soil I feel like the maintenance is less.   That could just be in my head, but it feels real!  I've had my eye on either buying or making something like the autopot system.  That looks like a super low maintenance way to do hydro.    

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Papalag said:

@mosey hi there 

if you use a cheep soil add extra perlite, bone meal ,blood meal, and myco fungi, and bat / seabirds guano  

soul is better tasting then hydro 

good luck 

Yeah, I bet that would go a long way to improving the soil.  But I wonder why the plants seem to hate cheap soil with extra perlite added and nutes given with waterings?  I used to think it was the PH being thrown off by say too much bark, or bad bugs in the soil etc.  But why should pot be so picky when other crops can hack it?  That's my real question here.  Is our weed just sensitive because of the selection environment that's been used for so long now?  

I'm not complaining btw, it's just a curiosity.  It's most likely down to me just being a shit grower, but that doesn't make the question less interesting.  :D

Growing indoors your creating your own environment soil , drainage ,air , temperature ect . Nature provides in the wild 

indoors soil needs additives to help the ladies achieve their true potential

but   is it the soil or the environment that’s the problem ?  Just asking 

peace 

I'm digging on my DWC setup, so easy, and like soil, I can leave it for a week, at least, 20 gal reservoir's give you some flexibility.  Just a tip, you never think your air pump will suck water back up and blow during a power outage, and usually they don't, until they do, lol.  So, NOW, I use aquarium stop valves from Wal Mart on my air lines, saves you in a power outage, power comes back on, so does your pump, no problemo.     

I did coir for years, and just got tired of messing with it, and I never reuse anything, anymore.   Reused soil exponentially increases my risk of problems, and since I'm only running a few plants at a time, can't afford to have a blown grow, and I've had a few.   The coir got to be super twitchy, locks up calcium like super glue, and once it gets imbalanced, even after rinsing it to death, is still never the same.  Plus, peat gives MUCH faster growth rates than coir, in my experience.

Funny, I began with ProMix, and ended with ProMix, before switching to DWC.  Fun to try different stuff.

2 hours ago, mosey said:

I like that idea.  You mean to make sure it's not the genetics right?  I've enjoyed hydro in the past.  But since switching to soil I feel like the maintenance is less.   That could just be in my head, but it feels real!  I've had my eye on either buying or making something like the autopot system.  That looks like a super low maintenance way to do hydro.    

Yes, to leave nothing to the imagination and stay in total control. And hydro weed tasting any different than soil is nonsense.  If there is any difference hydro grown is better, it is easier on the throat. :D

I worked with the autopots but the wires clogged up easily and one of the triggers not closing up correctly causes the water tank to run completely empty on the floor..... :verryangry:

Just slabs or crates in a tray works best if you ask me. You can pour in a few gallons of water for less maintenance. 

• Like 1

When I go to the garden center, over the hydro shop, the garden center will sell bags of *topsoil*  top soil can have basic N-P-K values added to it, but it's not like *potting soil* that has been blended with N-P-K- but also all 16 micro/macro, (I forget which term is correct), essential nutrients added.

One of my next steps in teaching myself, indoor organics, I bought 10 - 40lb bags of topsoil, since I have a slew of Dr.Earth fertilizers to adamant my Pro Mix coco/peat bales. I'm going to make a mix of soil/promix (peat/coir) and my additives, as I do reuse my medium, and the topsoil should give it a longer time to recycle.

Make your own soil, it's simple, easy, cheaper and last forever.

Baq

• Like 2

if you reuse soil, add calcium and magnesium, worm castings, some biochar (charged), some compost on top of soil.  

flavors are based on brix levels, easier to do with soil than hydro.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes Hempy ! Garden lime for Ca, Epsom salt for Mg, worm castings life in the soil.

@mosey

Mix one part compost to two parts of coco,that is now your basic cheap soil.

Put in some Maerl lime
some guanokalong powder
Some plagron supermix.
Lava loam.
Worm castings
Basalt meal(optional)
Bentonite grit. (optional)

For growmix : add some seaweed powder.
For flowering mix : add some weed powder residue left over from extraction instead of seaweed powder(optional)
Myco's
Make sure it is mixed and then leave it alone for a minimum of two weeks.

And use some buffertablets in your pots,in case of this soil mix use 1 tab. to 10L soil

Like Hempy said :
brix levels determines the taste,just make sure the minerals are there in the soil.

This way your soil does not cost a whole lot to make,the stuff you buy for this will last you a while anyway.

You will reap the benefits from mixing it yourself,it's way cheaper&way better.

Just put in your sweat and you'll be paid back in weed.:lol:

• Like 3