•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
ChakraCohen

Veganic Growing?

There are vegan fertilizers available. To insure it's really "vegan" I would think you would have to go hydro. Using any mixture soil would have some form of animal product, as nature intended. The whole circle of life thing. 

Hell, I'm not vegan and won't pretend to understand it,  but I don't even know if it is possible (technically). I guess it would depend on where you draw the line on what animal or life forms are ok to use/consume. Is it ok to use worm castings?  Or how about bird droppings? Rabbits only eat veggies, can you use their dropping? 

Either way, do the research and give it a go. Good luck br

• Like 2

Vegan, the stuff my food eats.:)

• Like 3

Veganics is defined as an agricultural philosophy that abstains from the use of synthetic or chemical-based additives as well as animal byproducts. The central philosophy behind veganic growing is to only utilize plant-based resources in order to provide both nutrient uptake and environmental protection to the crop. This entails not only the removal of any chemical fertilizer, pesticide, and herbicide from use, but also products containing animal-based additives such as manure fertilizers and animal byproduct-containing soil amendments.

That is a good read on this, where I took that from. https://www.leafly.com/news/growing/using-veganics-growing-organic-cannabis

• Like 1

The only things in my soil mix not vegan would be EWC's and fish meal. I don't use blood meal, bone meal or bat guano, they attract pest and can cause other problems. Since I went with the SOS mix problems have ceased to exist. Personally I think it's just more marketing BS.  My thoughts on veganism is that any diet that needs supplements is not a healthy diet.       

With that said, it's what ever floats your boat and works for you, including Vegan.

Baq

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok, don’t want to start a shit storm here, but what exactly is the purpose of this philosophy?   

I’m super environmentally conscious, but eliminating animal waste from food or cannabis production sounds fishy to me, pun intended.  

Thousands of years of feeding humanity is based on the symbiotic relationship between man and animals.   I could consider eliminating animal fertilizers like bone meal, philosophically, but even that’s a reach, even for vegans.   Animals die in fields and forests, and the ground is more fertile for it.   Heifer International, a super favorite charity, provides cattle, sheep, goats, to third world families, for milk and fertilizer, not to eat, but to feed a family a lifetime   

If Matt Damon hadn’t grown potatoes with his own shit, he’d have never made it home from Mars.   

Just sayin’.   

Hope all had a great Thanksgiving.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, dieseldog381 said:

Never heard of it, what is it?   

This article on veganic marijuana was how I heard about it but it doesn't talk a lot about technique or result. I figured maybe someone here had tried it and could either sing its praises or tell me not to waste my time LOL

3 minutes ago, dieseldog381 said:

Ok, don’t want to start a shit storm here, but what exactly is the purpose of this philosophy?   

I’m super environmentally conscious, but eliminating animal waste from food or cannabis production sounds fishy to me, pun intended.  

Thousands of years of feeding humanity is based on the symbiotic relationship between man and animals.   I could consider eliminating animal fertilizers like bone meal, philosophically, but even that’s a reach, even for vegans.   Animals die in fields and forests, and the ground is more fertile for it.   Heifer International, a super favorite charity, provides cattle, sheep, goats, to third world families, for milk and fertilizer, not to eat, but to feed a family a lifetime   

If Matt Damon hadn’t grown potatoes with his own shit, he’d have never made it home from Mars.   

Just sayin’.   

Hope all had a great Thanksgiving.   

Yeah, I'm not a vegan either and I totally hear what you're saying. I've seen the topic of veganic growing thrown around with pretty much a similar reaction as water curing: some people swear by it, others think its BS, others straight up loathe it. I was curious as to how it effects yields and quality of the bud, if at all. I'm really inexperienced when it comes to growing so I think it would be too advanced for me either way, but I was curious if it was something I should aspire to try someday or if it would just yield poor results. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChakraCohen said:

Yeah, I'm not a vegan either and I totally hear what you're saying. I've seen the topic of veganic growing thrown around with pretty much a similar reaction as water curing: some people swear by it, others think its BS, others straight up loathe it. I was curious as to how it effects yields and quality of the bud, if at all. I'm really inexperienced when it comes to growing so I think it would be too advanced for me either way, but I was curious if it was something I should aspire to try someday or if it would just yield poor results. 

I say this over and over again, people make soil mixes way to complicated, if you give the plant what it naturally needs to keep it healthy and stress free then the genetics will do the rest.

Here's what I use, posted this before, simple, easy to make, cheap and it really works. You reuse it and the older the better it gets!

Here is the base mix:

1 part sphagnum peat moss,no additives.This can be as cheap as 15 dollars a bail at home depot. The preferred brands have no additives,like Alaskan peat.

1 part pumice and/or perlite. Pumice is preferred due to perlite aggregate separation

1 part earthworm castings and/or high quality compost

okay food and minerals...

1 cup per cubic foot of soil base mix volume on each amendment

1 cup fish meal
1 cup kelp meal
1 cup pacific pearl oyster shell calcium
1 cup basalt rock dust
...any other additional amendments go in at this ratio,but you will need to know what they are as additional food sources will need to be accounted for.

The bio-char will act more a aeration amendment,but indeed still function with the negative ion exchange capability we put it in there for in the first place.

So when mixing base mix add char in the pumice/perlite as if it is part the aggregate portion mix. Mix on a large flat surface or a large trap that can be roll-mixed with two people. That's it,no need for ph meters or added bottled nutrients. Just top dress or make botanical teas,etc. It's the soil food web,it needs food too,so feed with the idea that you are feeding microbes,not just plants.
Congratulations,you've just built your own soil food web negative ionic exchange battery.
Gas

It's that simple.

• Like 3

The best "soil" amendment I have ever used was compost, good old black gold, and worms sure shit in it ha ha.

• Like 3

You would think the line would be drawn with worm castings though as works actually live in the soil, or do they use live worms in their pots? Or would that be against the rules also?

not to laugh or critisice these methods in any way, people being conscious about how the products they buy effect the environment is all good by me. Bat guano is one that I’m quite skeptikal about how they harvest it and if it’s detrimental to the bats habitat or not? Idk

• Like 3

I think I am funny ha ha Think of it though, our vegetative things EAt POO! So if you wanted to really go without animal poo, our plants eat it, so you would still have it in there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, baqualin said:

people make soil mixes way to complicated

Right, thats what we do for fun!   

Funny, I noticed the longer I grew, the hotter my soil mixes got.  Never occurred to me, it's because I won't stop messing with it!!!   lol

Mom tried to teach me with cooking, MORE, is not always better.    

I always ate steak because cows are vegans.   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, buddah_fingah said:

You would think the line would be drawn with worm castings though as works actually live in the soil, or do they use live worms in their pots? Or would that be against the rules also?

not to laugh or critisice these methods in any way, people being conscious about how the products they buy effect the environment is all good by me. Bat guano is one that I’m quite skeptikal about how they harvest it and if it’s detrimental to the bats habitat or not? Idk

I'm not sure how bat guano is harvested, probably with a shovel or shop vac. I used to do mine rescue, and have been in many mines that have become infested with bats. I have been in mines where the guano is literally 5-6 feet deep in sections where the bats live. I don't believe removing it would have any detrimental effects on the bats. I do know, crawling over those piles wearing a rebreather while dragging a 200lbs person on a metal stretcher will kick your ass. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Justcozz said:

I'm not sure how bat guano is harvested, probably with a shovel or shop vac. I used to do mine rescue, and have been in many mines that have become infested with bats. I have been in mines where the guano is literally 5-6 feet deep in sections where the bats live. I don't believe removing it would have any detrimental effects on the bats. I do know, crawling over those piles wearing a rebreather while dragging a 200lbs person on a metal stretcher will kick your ass. 

Ha, I’m a Geologist (retired) and have been in over a 100 underground mines, plus I was an avid Splunker in a state with the largest cave in the world and you nailed it. I’ve always been a little unsure with Guano since bats are full of diseases and I’ve never seen anything grow in or on it in a cave or mine, except nasty mold.:wOOt

Open up a bag of EWC's stick a plant in and it will grow like a mofro, won't burn.

Best,

Baq

• Like 3

19 hours ago, baqualin said:

I say this over and over again, people make soil mixes way to complicated, if you give the plant what it naturally needs to keep it healthy and stress free then the genetics will do the rest.

Here's what I use, posted this before, simple, easy to make, cheap and it really works. You reuse it and the older the better it gets!

Here is the base mix:

1 part sphagnum peat moss,no additives.This can be as cheap as 15 dollars a bail at home depot. The preferred brands have no additives,like Alaskan peat.

1 part pumice and/or perlite. Pumice is preferred due to perlite aggregate separation

1 part earthworm castings and/or high quality compost

okay food and minerals...

1 cup per cubic foot of soil base mix volume on each amendment

1 cup fish meal
1 cup kelp meal
1 cup pacific pearl oyster shell calcium
1 cup basalt rock dust
...any other additional amendments go in at this ratio,but you will need to know what they are as additional food sources will need to be accounted for.

The bio-char will act more a aeration amendment,but indeed still function with the negative ion exchange capability we put it in there for in the first place.

So when mixing base mix add char in the pumice/perlite as if it is part the aggregate portion mix. Mix on a large flat surface or a large trap that can be roll-mixed with two people. That's it,no need for ph meters or added bottled nutrients. Just top dress or make botanical teas,etc. It's the soil food web,it needs food too,so feed with the idea that you are feeding microbes,not just plants.
Congratulations,you've just built your own soil food web negative ionic exchange battery.
Gas

It's that simple.

Sounds like a great mix - looking forward to giving this a go. Thanks for sharing! Some people are so secretive about their ingredients so I really appreciate you sharing the love. 

19 minutes ago, ChakraCohen said:

Sounds like a great mix - looking forward to giving this a go. Thanks for sharing! Some people are so secretive about their ingredients so I really appreciate you sharing the love. 

Try it and you will love it, low maintenance and the first run you should only need an occasional dosing with a EWC based tea, you don't even pull the plant at harvest, just cut it off at soil level and add amendments listed in the original mix for the next run. I use it indoors and outside. I waited way to late to take clones of my outdoor keepers this season, so I took buds, got them to root, planted in the mix and bam they're re- vegging as we speak. It's fun to play and experiment until you lose a whole crop to something stupid, so if you wanna play limit it to one or 2 plants for experiments and keep the rest under the K.I.S.S. method.

Good Luck,

Baq

PS

I used to keep my photography techniques secrets but we all grow old too quick and you can't take it with you, might as well pass it down.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Justcozz said:

Hmm Its not quite that simple, i’d say there’s also fragile eco-systems that live inside bat caves that depends on guano as energy source. Every time we mess about in eco-systems we are causing a domino effect in some way, being as self sustainable as possible is the way I’d try to grow weed. 

These giys seem to think there’s issues with harvesting bat guano:

I am part of the team working with Bat Conservation International (BCI) on developing international standards for the sustainable harvest of bat guano. Bat guano has been harvested from caves for centuries and has been put to a variety of uses, including for gunpowder during the U.S. Civil War. Today bat guano is primarily used for fertilizer, both in commercial production in places like Texas and for subsistence farming purposes in places throughout Southeast Asia and Latin America. Guano harvesting can have huge impacts on bat colonies. Bats are extremely sensitive to disturbance, and harvesting guano while bats are roosting can cause pup loss and abandonment of caves. Lack of understanding of these impacts, together with unclear property rights and lack of any rules to enforce have led to unsustainable guano harvesting practices

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, baqualin said:

Try it and you will love it, low maintenance and the first run you should only need an occasional dosing with a EWC based tea, you don't even pull the plant at harvest, just cut it off at soil level and add amendments listed in the original mix for the next run. I use it indoors and outside. I waited way to late to take clones of my outdoor keepers this season, so I took buds, got them to root, planted in the mix and bam they're re- vegging as we speak. It's fun to play and experiment until you lose a whole crop to something stupid, so if you wanna play limit it to one or 2 plants for experiments and keep the rest under the K.I.S.S. method.

Good Luck,

Baq

PS

I used to keep my photography techniques secrets but we all grow old too quick and you can't take it with you, might as well pass it down.

I add buckwheat hulls to my soil for aeration nowadays (along with pumice) and its amazing, fungus loves growing all over it.

my mix is quite similar to yours, this makes up 40litres of soil, which is what my root pouches are 

Irish peat moss 13litres

Pumice 4litres

Bio-char (big pieces) 4litres

Buckwheat 5litres

EWC 6litres

Quality compost 6litres

0.15litres of each

Neem meal

Kelp meal

Crustacean meal

Charge

0.6litres of Gypsum

0.6litres of Oyster Shell Flour

0.3 litres of Basalt

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, buddah_fingah said:

I add buckwheat hulls to my soil for aeration nowadays (along with pumice) and its amazing, fungus loves growing all over it.

my mix is quite similar to yours, this makes up 40litres of soil, which is what my root pouches are 

Irish peat moss 13litres

Pumice 4litres

Bio-char (big pieces) 4litres

Buckwheat 5litres

EWC 6litres

Quality compost 6litres

0.15litres of each

Neem meal

Kelp meal

Crustacean meal

Charge

0.6litres of Gypsum

0.6litres of Oyster Shell Flour

0.3 litres of Basalt

Yep pretty much the same, I will also add in the Neem meal. Great, you know it works, I now can grow in a relaxed manner instead of chasing problems and stressing trying to figure out what's going on, put my ph meter in storage, no need for it. Now if you start adding in all kinds of other shit you will lose the equilibrium and problems will occur.

Baq

• Like 2