•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Great job mrD 

good color and healthy 

@Misterdirt is back!:verrygood:icecream:

Baq

• Like 1

I'm beginning to understand I will have a crowded tent in another week or two.

22 plants (19 girls, 3 bashful ones who haven't whipped it out yet) and they just started the stretch.

I think my best bet is to seriously prune now, before they waste all their resources building branches that will never get enough light. On most of them, I want to see how they grow without too much bondage.

Over in the lower right corner, you might notice a little plant with one sparse branch reaching up, with long internodes. That's the Willie. She had no branches when I took clones, so I had to take it from the top! She's now got two scrawny branches. She'll be with me until sometime in June, so I expect she'll look a lot different at harvest time.

5-days in12-12Feb7.jpg

• Like 9

Better get a whip now. :whip: 

Show 'em who's their daddy. Gonna be like a houseful of teenage girls... got your "medic alert" necklace on... ?   "My plants have made me fall, and I can't get up"!!!!  remember that commercial?.....

:popcorn:

peace

• Haha 2

Yeah, the one where the old lady trips over the Blumat tubing in her grow room? I wonder if she lit up with the EMTs in the end?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, the two Nepalmas that didn't show are girls. The one Sweet Spot that didn't show was a boy and got axed. 21 is the final count, out of 32 seeds sprouted. Slightly better than average.

I tried a trick @DesertGrown mentioned a few years ago, of keeping temperatures down and adding ethlyene by putting a ripe apple in the tent. It seemed to work well on the first shift of seeds — some were germed a few days earlier than the others (Holy P, Sweet Spot, Nepalma). Maybe my apple ran low on ethylene!

The ratios (F/M)

Holy Princess: 6/3

Sweet Spot: 4/1

God Bud: 2/3

Nepalma: 6/3

Shackzilla: 2/0 (HA! Just kidding. SZ is a fem.)

Cheese Berry: 1/1

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I put some UV lighting in the tent this weekend, let 'em rip for 8 hours, and the girls were not pleased. I guess T-5 UV lighting is a lot more intense than the CFL "lizard lights" I used to use.

I raised them a lot higher and I'm only going to let them run for an hour a day, then maybe I'll ramp up another couple of hours. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hour?! oh dear :lol: 10minutes more like it

(i can feel the uv like ive been sitting in the sun all day after ive had them on while working, its some heavy shit!)

• Like 2

One of the reactions the plants had, aside from the usual curly growth and upturned leaf edges, was that the leaves became very shiny.

I'm giving them a break from supplemental UV for a week. Let them get back to normal.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2019 at 2:38 PM, baqualin said:

@Misterdirt & @gardenartus Here's the cheap version I was talking about, I will use the Octopots inside they're too well built and a slick system, this homemade version I'm going to make and use outdoors for weed and tomato's. might use for mother's inside to not tie up any Octopots and keep maintenance down.

Baq

My grow supply had some buckets and lids with the net pot so,  I have all of the parts and I'm building one today. They had 3 and 6 gallon buckets and I got one of each. I'm thinking about using the 6 gallon bucket for the reservoir, and the 3 gal for the dirt and wicking pot. Either that or just make two self watering pots like above, a small and a large.  pics soon.. peace. 

• Like 4

In case anyone was wondering what UV burned plants look like, see below.

Aside from the upturned leaf edges, which you get with too much heat and light, the growth became 'wavy' and the leaves went shiny.

Lizard lights weren't nearly strong enough to do this. I could have them within an inch of a plant for 12 hours and there was no ill effect. When I try them again, it will be for a half hour a day, rather than 8.

IMG_4682.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

I did a run with some "lizard lights" , left them on the whole 12 the big bulb was glowing.........but at a distance of a couple feet. No ill effects, but did not see

much benefit either........................put the lizard lights up.  Thinking a much stronger uv would certainly do something........................sure did something to yours...............

• Like 1

I noticed the difference in potency when I didn't use lizard lights in my last grow (2015), using some of the same clones from previous grows with lizard lights.

If using LEDs or other lights that already include UV, I wouldn't bother with supplemental.

I popped these killer, death-ray lights on for 1/2 hour yesterday. The plants seem OK with that.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Misterdirt said:

I noticed the difference in potency when I didn't use lizard lights in my last grow (2015), using some of the same clones from previous grows with lizard lights.

If using LEDs or other lights that already include UV, I wouldn't bother with supplemental.

I popped these killer, death-ray lights on for 1/2 hour yesterday. The plants seem OK with that.

You still need it unless you want to spend $2000 for a LED that has the correct UVB spectrum which are very expensive at this time. the majority of LEDs that claim UV are the UVA not UVB, UVA doesn't have an effect and most of your expensive LED systems use the UVB tubes as a side cart on the LED fixture not UVB leds, they're just to expensive. Seriously Mr D, go to LED Light Depot http://www.ledgrowlightsdepot.com/collections/led-grow-lights?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjbmU2_y94AIVkLjACh2WIgCnEAAYASAAEgL5vfD_BwE, they have videos on all brands set up in a tent and show you with a meter the intensity at different light heights and from the center to the edges and corners. They don't push any one brand over another they just show non bias comparisons to help find the one best for your setup. Here's an example of one of their videos. Go to YouTube for their reviews of the different brands.

Hey, I hope to have some pics up today of my version of the OctoBucket, heh. I finally figured out what I was looking for. We'll see. It'll be more like the Octopot than the straight up self watering bucket above. With what I'm using I'll say it's 1/3 the cost of an Octopot. So, only if it works well, will it be worth the trouble. Actually, it'll be very easy to build and maybe I'll do a YouTube of it.. heh. I have high hopes for myself, huh? peace

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Mr Goodfellow said:

Hey, I hope to have some pics up today of my version of the OctoBucket, heh. I finally figured out what I was looking for. We'll see. It'll be more like the Octopot than the straight up self watering bucket above. With what I'm using I'll say it's 1/3 the cost of an Octopot. So, only if it works well, will it be worth the trouble. Actually, it'll be very easy to build and maybe I'll do a YouTube of it.. heh. I have high hopes for myself, huh? peace

post up pics of your contraption please...................:)

• Like 4

Good to see you back in action buddy ;) 

• Like 1

Going to take a few pics of the OctoBucket in a few. It's all working out like I wanted and easy. I need to determine some physics now in regards to the size of the reservoir and the dead space between the top of the water and bottom of the dirt chamber. It should grow something! peace

• Like 3

Okay, here's the finished product, but I have to tweak this design a little. This was my second try and I realized I have the basket too high. If it's not under water it won't wick... The first one I did have it about a half inch above the bottom of the pot and that would be ideal. But, to get it that low you really restrict the volume of the reservoir. That's why Octopot is wide. It has to be shallow enough to keep the basket wet for the wicking action to work, but I think it needs more volume than just the 5 1/2 inches I would have and only the width of the bucket. 

That's why I raised it, making the reservoir larger, but I wasn't thinking clearly.... I could add wicks to the basket for when it gets that low but I'm not sure it it would perform the same. I'll post a thread with more pics. These buckets and basket lids are much stronger composite material than the regular 5 gallon buckets you get at the hardware store. Those are a much softer plastic.

The trick is getting the cut-out lid/washer/adapter the right width to hold the bucket up to the desired height. So, I may go back to the original adapter lid so it'll sit almost on the bottom. I would just have to water it more, and I don't think my site glass/filling tube will work the same with a small reservoir. I can try it.

I don't think it would be good to have water constantly sitting under the basket... I would always have to top it off to get water above the basket. 

This is more of a physics sort of thing now. 

The other thing is i think I'd have to drill lots of holes in the dirt bucket since it isn't a fabric pot. It needs to pull O2 inside. I also though about stapling a fabric ring to hang down from the bottom and cover the basket like the actual Octopot does... They say it creates a small micro-climate... I'm getting a little anal now, but I want to make sure I'm not missing some crucial piece of their engineering.. 

Any ideas, let 'em flow!  How's the old saying go?... "being broke is the mother of invention"... yeah, that's it I think.. lol. Sorry for the hijack MrD. Maybe I'll start a thread for ANY idea to be posted.. at least one for this so I don't takeover your grow! I'll set one up and come back to put up a link. 

IMG_1154.thumb.jpg.3934721f22fcd3557d01c3b471c85eaa.jpg

IMG_1160.thumb.jpg.c728b9b8e058b16ac1054700192aa0c2.jpg

peace

mrG

• Like 5