•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Halforc

Ungerminated seeds worth persisting for long?

Hey there,

I'm having some dramas getting seeds to germinate, have only had 1 out of 5 sprout so far and I'm 5 days in, using the paper towel method. I Had the exact same ratio last year with this strain, luckily the one that came up was great! I have done the paper towel method with success before but was just wondering if you think it's worth persisting with them or if they haven't sprouted by now should i ditch them? I was thinking I wouldn't actually bin them but maybe just plant them out and hope for a miracle. Also is there any other little tips or tricks people have with difficult seeds?       

I’ve had seeds go 10 days before they crack 

I drop mine in water for 12 to 18 hours then paper towels till  You see a tap root 

peace 

• Like 3

Cheers Papalag, exactly the sort of info I was looking for mate! I'll hang in there then. Damn I hope I didn't chuck last years stuff out prematurely.

Peace

• Like 1

This consideration may already be on your radar, but it's something I need to remind myself of when sprouting: temperature can make a big difference in sprouting speed!  I've had older seeds sit for a week in a paper towel at 60-ish degrees Fahrenheit, but once I moved them to a slightly warmer spot on a table a few feet above a heat vent where they were in a 70-ish zone, they grew big tails overnight.  (Moderate heat is key, of course--you don't want to bake the poor things.)  Good luck!

• Like 3

@AbuKeif a agree I use a heating mat myself 

if you have a worm moist environment it will work much quicker 

peace 

• Like 2

My rule #1 is I NEVER, EVER throw out a seed, unless it's springtime in my garden!  I've got stuff 10 years old that sprouts, you just have to keep them "stable".  It's NOT the heat and cold that kills them, it's the expansion and contraction temperature  changes cause in a seed.  Same with moisture.  I only open my stash when I need seeds, well, except those times I just want to "hold them", lol.   

Sounds like strain related if it's happening twice.  Sannie's Jack takes forever, had them pop at 9 days.  

Wet paper towel, ring out till just moist, add seeds, fold over, throw in plastic baggie(eliminates the need to re-moisten your paper towels, or the risk of them drying out, which kills seeds immediately), set on top of your cable box (in the dark, I put mine on a small black plate with black bowl as a cover), leave until they sprout, most strains within 36-48 hours.  Older seeds, add a day or two, a few strains will take considerably longer, but that's rare in my experience.   Tried everything else, always come back to what I did in 1970, never been improved on yet for small growers.  imo.  And always use tap water, the chlorine it contains is a good thing for keeping pathogens away, and the gains from spring, bottled, whatever are negligent.   I left for 5 days Thanksgiving, came home with nice full sprouts ready to plant.   If I'm not going to be home for a few days, I don't leave them on a heat source, I just put them in my cupboard.  They'll sprout fine without heat, but in my experience, it speeds things up a day or two.  When they DO sprout, if they're on my stereo or cable box, I'll have three inch sprouts in 2 days if I don't get them planted.  

Sensi Jack is slow sprouting, too, fyi.  

The only way I've ever killed a seed is when it was too wet, they just need moisture, not a hot tub.  

Good luck, hope they surprise  you!  

• Like 4

Hey guys thanks for all the sweet information! The great news is that the 6 jahliceus I put in paper towel (took papalags advice and soaked them first), have all sprouted! Haha relief.

@dieseldog381 Cheers mate for your experience and knowledge here! I like the idea of putting it in a plastic baggie, and hadn't actually thought about tap water and in fact assumed it might be worse but what you say about the chlorine makes sense. I had actually used distilled water previously but tried rainwater this year as I finally got a tank. After reading what you've said, I also think I may have had the paper towel a bit wet as I've never rung it out really, so cheers.

@AbuKeif Thanks mate looks like the warmer environment helped, because the temperature here has gone up a few degrees the last few days, probably low 20's Celsius where I put them.

Fingers crossed, no more issues from now on:).

Cheers

• Like 3

once i had one sprout from a cup i already put away as dead, two weeks after i put some veggies in that container a wild marijuana appeared! just once, most times its just not working if it takes that long

• Like 2

Soaking in water for a few hours and into damp paper towels and into a zip lock bag  is the best method I have ever used.

most answers asked usually gets GREAT answers..listen..learn and grow great weed..

• Like 3

So after all of that, (the first lot 1/5 and the Jah 6/6), some bloody snail ate three of the Jah and the one remaining of the first lot! 

Sometimes nature just likes to mess with ya haha little buggers, hopefully the three Jah remaining were the females of the bunch:D.

• Like 1

Just to finalise, i tried the paper towel in a ziplock bag style that others mentioned with some bodhi Skylotus and got 8/8. To summarise, my germinating problems are over!

Thanks again everyone. :grinning_respect:

• Like 6

I never bother with the paper towel method. I sow the seeds directly into soil/coco/cubes to suit whatever medium I'm growing in at the time.

If I have old seeds and want to germinate those, I just give them a scuff with a bit of sandpaper to take the shine off so the shell can be penetrated easier by the water in the medium. Most of them germinate but they just take a bit longer than fresh seeds usually. As said, never chuck seeds out. Mother Nature won't be rushed, but she usually comes through in the end. :verrygood 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Halforc hay it’s a great place with great people 

also some seeds need help I’ve cracked them with my teeth and scuffed them with sandpaper 

or soakiold seeds in peroxide solution helps also 

peace 

• Like 2

i've had good success with putting them in a glass of water until the tails show then plant in 16/20 oz cups/rapid rooter type plugs/peat pots/small rd/sq pots. that baggie method is tried and too as stated above.  flat/gripper tweezers are good for handling placing them in ur choice of substrate so u don't touch the tap root. air temp at 75/80 will root clones no dome needed and direct into bottle of spring water can be covered to block out light and encourage rooting. great when want to stage plant bto suit you 

welcome to the JOINT :j:wave:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gardenartus said:

I do as you do SPW, and I use socks to cover lol Cheap black out

I can take a branch of a plant, root in a window, and come back when the roots are plentiful and pot directly in 1,2 or 3 gal pots to make nice mother plants quickly. so bonsai mom or monster mom. i had the biggest uranium cranium mom ever until my fake partner killed her putting her in the attic. he was then called mother killer smdh. she was 5 ft tall easy beautiful. that's why i never got to enjoy a bunch of hat bud. hell i sold an oz which was more then i ever had myself.  i gave him the best buds too almost cried frfr. my dude lived in vermont. i needed the loot bad= dogs and cats etc

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@Argo630 hay bro I was looking for that thing I couldn’t remember where I saw it 

it beets using your teeth lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don’t know, guys, I’m way too old to crack seeds, if it doesn’t crack after 7 days, screw it.  It’s a seed, I buff my car,I’m not sanding my seeds, lol.    

I’m a paper towel/tap water guy, tried everything else and in forty years, NOTHING has worked as well or better.    Just dropped 12 Kali two days ago, because I only needed 5, seeds are ten years old, 80% germination in three days.   Same thing I do with tomatoes in rapid rooters, two seeds to each plug so I’m sure I’ve got a plant.   

I just buy enough seeds the first time, then F2 for seeds or clone them.  

If they don’t germinate, I’ll always have plenty, and I’m never down to the last seed of any strain.  

Seeds are cheap these days.   Don’t grow like a pauper unless you have to.   

• Like 4

14 hours ago, dieseldog381 said:

Don’t grow like a pauper unless you have to.   Sound Advice!

682826150_seedstash.thumb.jpg.3a7fc9b195029cce227a2d48ea83d99f.jpg

14 hours ago, dieseldog381 said:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

LOL, made me recall the times in the early 70's we'd grind up our seed stash, and smoke it.  Kids!

Back then, every bag was full of seeds, sure wish I had some of those today!  

That seed cruncher thingy is kind of cool.  

• Like 3

And, don't forget the stems we threw in to give it a little more bulk, lol. I can still taste it, too. Man, what we would do to get a hit. It's funny, how that was the norm, not out of the ordinary.

• Like 2