•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Halforc

Ungerminated seeds worth persisting for long?

Hey there,

I'm having some dramas getting seeds to germinate, have only had 1 out of 5 sprout so far and I'm 5 days in, using the paper towel method. I Had the exact same ratio last year with this strain, luckily the one that came up was great! I have done the paper towel method with success before but was just wondering if you think it's worth persisting with them or if they haven't sprouted by now should i ditch them? I was thinking I wouldn't actually bin them but maybe just plant them out and hope for a miracle. Also is there any other little tips or tricks people have with difficult seeds?       

I’ve had seeds go 10 days before they crack 

I drop mine in water for 12 to 18 hours then paper towels till  You see a tap root 

peace 

• Like 2

Cheers Papalag, exactly the sort of info I was looking for mate! I'll hang in there then. Damn I hope I didn't chuck last years stuff out prematurely.

Peace

• Like 1

This consideration may already be on your radar, but it's something I need to remind myself of when sprouting: temperature can make a big difference in sprouting speed!  I've had older seeds sit for a week in a paper towel at 60-ish degrees Fahrenheit, but once I moved them to a slightly warmer spot on a table a few feet above a heat vent where they were in a 70-ish zone, they grew big tails overnight.  (Moderate heat is key, of course--you don't want to bake the poor things.)  Good luck!

• Like 2

@AbuKeif a agree I use a heating mat myself 

if you have a worm moist environment it will work much quicker 

peace 

• Like 2

My rule #1 is I NEVER, EVER throw out a seed, unless it's springtime in my garden!  I've got stuff 10 years old that sprouts, you just have to keep them "stable".  It's NOT the heat and cold that kills them, it's the expansion and contraction temperature  changes cause in a seed.  Same with moisture.  I only open my stash when I need seeds, well, except those times I just want to "hold them", lol.   

Sounds like strain related if it's happening twice.  Sannie's Jack takes forever, had them pop at 9 days.  

Wet paper towel, ring out till just moist, add seeds, fold over, throw in plastic baggie(eliminates the need to re-moisten your paper towels, or the risk of them drying out, which kills seeds immediately), set on top of your cable box (in the dark, I put mine on a small black plate with black bowl as a cover), leave until they sprout, most strains within 36-48 hours.  Older seeds, add a day or two, a few strains will take considerably longer, but that's rare in my experience.   Tried everything else, always come back to what I did in 1970, never been improved on yet for small growers.  imo.  And always use tap water, the chlorine it contains is a good thing for keeping pathogens away, and the gains from spring, bottled, whatever are negligent.   I left for 5 days Thanksgiving, came home with nice full sprouts ready to plant.   If I'm not going to be home for a few days, I don't leave them on a heat source, I just put them in my cupboard.  They'll sprout fine without heat, but in my experience, it speeds things up a day or two.  When they DO sprout, if they're on my stereo or cable box, I'll have three inch sprouts in 2 days if I don't get them planted.  

Sensi Jack is slow sprouting, too, fyi.  

The only way I've ever killed a seed is when it was too wet, they just need moisture, not a hot tub.  

Good luck, hope they surprise  you!  

• Like 4

Hey guys thanks for all the sweet information! The great news is that the 6 jahliceus I put in paper towel (took papalags advice and soaked them first), have all sprouted! Haha relief.

@dieseldog381 Cheers mate for your experience and knowledge here! I like the idea of putting it in a plastic baggie, and hadn't actually thought about tap water and in fact assumed it might be worse but what you say about the chlorine makes sense. I had actually used distilled water previously but tried rainwater this year as I finally got a tank. After reading what you've said, I also think I may have had the paper towel a bit wet as I've never rung it out really, so cheers.

@AbuKeif Thanks mate looks like the warmer environment helped, because the temperature here has gone up a few degrees the last few days, probably low 20's Celsius where I put them.

Fingers crossed, no more issues from now on:).

Cheers

• Like 3

once i had one sprout from a cup i already put away as dead, two weeks after i put some veggies in that container a wild marijuana appeared! just once, most times its just not working if it takes that long

• Like 1

Soaking in water for a few hours and into damp paper towels and into a zip lock bag  is the best method I have ever used.

most answers asked usually gets GREAT answers..listen..learn and grow great weed..

• Like 2

So after all of that, (the first lot 1/5 and the Jah 6/6), some bloody snail ate three of the Jah and the one remaining of the first lot! 

Sometimes nature just likes to mess with ya haha little buggers, hopefully the three Jah remaining were the females of the bunch:D.