•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Misterdirt

Quietest Inline Fans

Good morning, growers.

Looking for the quietest, variable speed fan I can get. 

I'm in the middle of setting up my grow area, which is directly below my bedroom in the basement. I put my old Can Fan on the ventilation system, and while it's pretty quiet, I need to run a noise machine at night to drown out the sound.

It may be that I need to isolate the fan a little more, but I'm also thinking I could upgrade the fan to something quieter AND isolate it a little more.

When I was last shopping for inline fans, Vortex was considered the best, noise-wise, and Can Fan was second. Today I see a zillion fans on the market, most of which are cheap and likely noisy. I am soliciting opinions. What do you use? Quiet?

The space the fan will be ventilating is 200 cu. ft, so most 6" fans will work fine. Please offer your two cents!

• Like 2

Looking for the same 

I like what I read on the 6 in vortex fan  

some have plastic parts and mine fan runs 24 / 7 worried about melt down  

I just tried to quit mine up by using a styrofoam cooler and placed it inside with holes for the fixable ducts 

not bad could be better 

“ grow region damn bro I wish I had a whole region  “

good to see you back in action 

• Like 1

try to get a serrated one !  i saw a TV report about and it´s more efficient and more silent than conventional fans

image.thumb.png.5e2d4fba9937d7ee30f7e79fcf7c9dba.png

but maybe they more expensive the the conventional ones

• Like 3

I’ve been running a Sunleaves Wind tunnel six inch in my attic space, unheated,just above 16 inches of cellulose insulation, so it’s super dusty, even though it’s sealed ducts.   

I installed it ten years ago, cleaned it once, as I’m never crawling through that insulation again, lol.  It’s whisper quiet but powerful, been running virtually non stop since except when I shut down for three or four months occasionally.    Sure it’s plastic, so what?   Plastic is quieter than metal: and they come with permanent sealed bearings.   

I think they’re discontinued, but can still find on EBay or hydro stores    Always wondered how they compare to the CAN Fans, but never had any reason to change    Pretty good price on them   

https://growershouse.com/sunleaves-windtunnel-inline-duct-fans

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Papalag said:

Looking for the same 

I like what I read on the 6 in vortex fan  

some have plastic parts and mine fan runs 24 / 7 worried about melt down  

I just tried to quit mine up by using a styrofoam cooler and placed it inside with holes for the fixable ducts 

not bad could be better 

“ grow region damn bro I wish I had a whole region  “

good to see you back in action 

I have a new house and a virgin basement. My wife has no interest in the basement (aside from what I produce from it). I could conceivably have a monster grow down there, but I'm going to be staying under the legal limit of 24 plants (12 for me, 12 for my wife).

So I quickly put up my little seedling tent (2' x 4' x 39") and I now have a 5' x 5'. But tents are not the way to go when you can build stalls and rooms. I'm going to build a framed room for running two 600W lamps, on top of what I have now.

BTW, at this point I'm considering a Vortex variable speed fan. Expensive, but it will probably last longer than me. My Can Fan is a workhorse, too. I just want more control (and quiet).

Edited by Misterdirt
  • Like 1

(12 for me, 12 for my wife).

Ok, darn you, just when I was settling in to the confirmed bachelor thing, you throw a logic and possibility wrench into my peace and happiness.  

Panasonic WhisperLine, i should work for that company, i keep promoting them because its so silent (how DARE people call vortex silent fans haha)

• Like 3

On 1/2/2019 at 4:32 PM, HUFFnPUFF said:

Panasonic WhisperLine, i should work for that company, i keep promoting them because its so silent (how DARE people call vortex silent fans haha)

Those things are EXPENSIVE. Suddenly, my money-is-no-object attitude is shriveling. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The vortex s 600 series for under 150.00 USD is the one I we’ll be getting it’s at a good price and the specs look good as well 

I’ve only read a few reviews they were favorable 

good luck 

Vortex and Can Fan are certainly both tried and true brands.

My fan is a bit more powerful than I want for a 200 cu. ft. tent. It would be replacing the air in the tent more than twice per minute. I looked into Can Fan's speed controller, and the best price I found was $250 — way more than the fan costs.

I may just go around to grow shops and ask them to plug a weaker fan in for me, or a cheaper adjustable fan. If I find something worthwhile, I'll post again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ha! yes they are expensive! BUT! i can sleep!! next to one as i had my grow setup in my bedroom (call around if a store has one in stock to try) i added a 12v pc fan for internal circulation but i removed it as i was too loud  :rolleyes2:

• Haha 1

I'm still using a 6" Vortex after all these years. I have a 4" also. You can cover it with Fat Mat, Dyanamat or even cheapo roof patching like :https://hardwareonlinestore.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=57167&virtuemart_category_id=58505&gclid=Cj0KCQiApbzhBRDKARIsAIvZue_Z6wVRjeR81Kscfjt2b8C9KtfE_KigXMu_WDCn6Z3ndado0OvwolgaAh5TEALw_wcB

I just installed a garden for some older folks, and when I turned on the Vortex, pushing into the filter, the wife, was unhappy with the sound. I had a pieces of FatMat left from restoring the interior of my 1971 Karmann Ghia. I also, stapled a few layers of insulation (got to love the Hello Fresh super insulated box they send your food in) in the between the rafters and the fan/filter set up. Then peeled the backing from the cut pieces of FM onto the Vortex.

Super quiet, even with the speed control all the up, and however, it runs perfect at 1/4 speed.

I also like to use ridged stove pipe and fittings , over the slinky accordian type of piping myself.

• Like 2

Hi Mr D

Glad your're back to growing.  I can vouch for Hyper Fans and Can Max fans.  The Hyper fan has been in continuous service for 4 years and the Max fans 4 and 6 years continuous. The only issue is a slight bearing noise on the oldest Max fan.  Both are mixed flow fans and higher quality. 

The Max Fan series does have a 3 speed switch. The 6" version moves around 200-350 cfm and draws 50-85 watts depending on speed.  

The Hyper fan includes a speed controller that will adjust 35%-100% power.  My 8" moves around 700 cfm and draws 100 watts full power. They also make a 6" ($140 Prime).  I also like that it has a brushless motor and is ETL listed. 

https://www.amazon.com/Hyper-Fan-Digital-Mixed-Flow/dp/B00HP35PUU/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1546740463&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=6+hyper+fan&psc=1

Hope that's helpful. 

• Like 2

I've been running a 6' vortex in an apartment full blast most of the time and getting away with it for years.

nice and quiet

They last a long time too

• Like 2

I can't complain about my Can Fan, except that I don't feel like sucking that much heated air out of my house, per minute, for a little tent. I found a cheap controller for it, that can cut the airflow about in half.

I also got a cheap Chinese fan that can be run at a tremendous range of air flow settings. It was around $100. I just tried it out and I'll see how it works out on the 5' x 5' tent this weekend. Pretty quiet.

I guess the tariffs don't extend to grow room supplies, thank god!