•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Toker

The legalization thread

I still have not made my mind up.

Cali produces 30k ton a year and consumed 5k ton

That means 25k ton got shipped east.

They say the black market is still flourishing.

My thought on that is because some states are legal, others not that problem won't go away  till all are legal.

But I'm seeing 8ths for 15 bucks advertising in Washington state.

Looks like prices are tanking

I should be glad right?

No...no I'm not.

It's like a day late and a dollar short

Every time a gold mine rides into town something fucks it all up.

I had dreams of making a living growing one day

From what I seen out west I better keep my day job.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Legal recreational weed is putting the guys that grew medical out of business. Most growers operated in a grey area of the Cali Medicinal laws. Once Cali went rec, the laws and regsulations are well defined. It costs about $100,000 to meet the requirements and get licensed. Therefore, most of the growers who were growing for meds, are now supplying the black market again. All that weed is going to non legal states where the prices are high. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Toker said:

Every time a gold mine rides into town something fucks it all up.

I had dreams of making a living growing one day

From what I seen out west I better keep my day job.

If you look back at the various gold rushes of the 19th and early 20th centuries in North America, only a few people got rich by actually mining gold. Most people who got rich supplied the miners with food, equipment and services.

If any of us are going to make any significant income in this industry, it's not going to be by doing what everyone else is doing.

I have only been in a med state for 2.5 years, and a legal state for about two months, so my observations may not be of much value. But what I see in dispensaries are strains that go for 8 - 9 weeks in flower, generally. There are no long-flowering strains.

Most of my favorite varieties are long-flowering strains. There must be some biochemical reason for that, both in my brain and in long-flowering strains. Maybe they produce more of a particular set of terpenes or some other constituent in greater abundance when suitable plants get that extra time. I don't know.

My question is (and this might even relate to the topic at hand!), will other people, who are not the kind of weed snobs that we are, notice the difference? If so, that could be a special niche for growers — unusual or difficult strains (in some way or another).

Getting off the topic — right now, dispensaries are all fully licensed, but not many growers are. Suddenly, the dispensaries have almost no selection. My local one has two really nice indica doms (Chem Dawg and something called Banana Kush), but that's it. They told me that it's the same two strains that "everyone has" because of licensing. It seems like legalization with no legal way for non-med card holders to buy weed could have been a mistake! (Ya think?) Suddenly, growers have incentive to just supply the black market.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, the fast high yielding strains are what is going to rule the dispensary. Ones that need little nutes, clone easily, and thrive indoors under minimal light. Finding the perfect business strain has little to do with the high. Maximum amount of product as fast and cheap as possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Misterdirt touched on the niche

Concept, somewhat what some stores do to combat the box stores, special stuff...

But that brings up eskos warning about patents of strains, ownership and gentics

Confiscation, but others may have more insight.

big corporations still just taking this out of everybody hands.

while people are being fooled about this being a "legalisation".

governments as always clearing the way for big money to take over.

i am with esko (when he still used to grow):

as long as i can't just grow my weed in peace (no registration ... no paying for

being allowed to grow ... no nothing !) = i don't believe this to be, what they call it.

just de-criminalize the plant, smoking and growing ... and be done with it.

the rest is just not real legalization in my book, just "monetarization" ...

until then i WON'T wait for laws ... i'll just grow my own *fuck 'em*

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

It's a trade off, no doubt. But with an all-or-nothing attitude, a lot of people could be doing hard time while we're waiting for the perfect law.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Misterdirt said:

It's a trade off, no doubt. But with an all-or-nothing attitude, a lot of people could be doing hard time while we're waiting for the perfect law.

Yep! By moving to a legal state I will lose a little side income, but I can seriously work to preserve some strains, search to find my Holy Grail weed and not have to stress about someone busting in my door, destroying my home and costing me $1,000 of dollars I don't have over a fucking plant, I'm too old for that shit now, so I will take what I can get. Doesn't mean I will totally give up my modern Cowboy ways!;)

@santero It's not the Corporations, it's all our governments figuring out how they can control and make the most money from it by taxing / licensing all levels of production and sales, they just use the corporations to make that happen. Basically government controlled corporatism / crony capitalism. The advantage we have here, is we still have a vote.

Baq

Hell stuff is going high price right now, their legal here takes years to set up, giving us a HUGE black market. Even when the dispensaries are set up, gonna be high, they only have to pay like 6 companies before it hits the dispensary, then the 6% sales tax, then the 10% excise tax, you can get it cheaper on the street. Their fix for the black market, just created a larger one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Find your nitch, become an expert, you will never go without money. I am an expert in the medical area, I will never be out of demand.

• Like 2

As more states legalize, they are finding ways to control the money flow. Right now, Colorado is the closest to full legalization. Washington won't allow home growers. California left it up to individual counties on retail sales and home grow regulations. Nevada won't allow home grows within 20 miles of a dispensary and must register with the county. 

When the Feds legalize it, and they will soon, i suspect it will be like alcohol. Regulated at fed and state, probably controlled by the ATF. They will start targeting the black market with harsher penalties. The government doesn't like its citizens to commit crimes, especially when it loses tax money. And after a while, they will see home growers as people stealing tax dollars and change the federal laws to stop them. 

• Like 1

BTW if you are Rec here, you can Give it Away, but if you are medical you will get a Felony, sounds about right huh? I can give you a beer, but I canT gift you a medible without it being a felony. Yep makes perfect sense to me. SMH

Our Law is Regulate like Alcohol and oh yes sirree, it is not the little guy, it is corporate. I only pray to keep my grow rights.

• Like 2

Can't remember which one, but one state will not allow you to sell your weed, but it is fully legal to barter. Cali will let us give away up to an ounce (that's the max you can carry on your person or transport). 

I do like that we can keep and store all we grow, no limit. At a six plant max, that typically isn't a whole lot of weed, but some states allow 12 plants but limit to 6-8 ounces for possession. So I guess by law you have to throw away anything over. 

2 hours ago, Justcozz said:

Can't remember which one, but one state will not allow you to sell your weed, but it is fully legal to barter. Cali will let us give away up to an ounce (that's the max you can carry on your person or transport). 

I do like that we can keep and store all we grow, no limit. At a six plant max, that typically isn't a whole lot of weed, but some states allow 12 plants but limit to 6-8 ounces for possession. So I guess by law you have to throw away anything over. 

A friend of mine who lives outside DC said that because Congress won't allow the city to set up any kind of distribution system for legal sales, they sell mason jars that happen to have weed in them. I don't know who controls these sales, but there's a fee to get into the "market," and I'm sure mason jar salespeople must pay whoever runs the market. He said the people taking your entrance fee look like Hell's Angels, without the colors.

9 hours ago, Justcozz said:

As more states legalize, they are finding ways to control the money flow. Right now, Colorado is the closest to full legalization. Washington won't allow home growers. California left it up to individual counties on retail sales and home grow regulations. Nevada won't allow home grows within 20 miles of a dispensary and must register with the county. 

When the Feds legalize it, and they will soon, i suspect it will be like alcohol. Regulated at fed and state, probably controlled by the ATF. They will start targeting the black market with harsher penalties. The government doesn't like its citizens to commit crimes, especially when it loses tax money. And after a while, they will see home growers as people stealing tax dollars and change the federal laws to stop them. 

My thought exactly

We will be moonshiners

• Like 1

It seems the average for a lb out west is 1600.00

According to the article I read.

The further east the more it costs

Approx 3600.00

I know many sucker pay that but I can get a lb of cronic

For 2200, maybe a little less.

Anyway, the price per gram is tanking out west.

And shit rolls down hill so...

I hope we NEVER go legal

And I wish all that fucking cut throat Black market cronic form out west

Would go the fuck back where it came .

Going to ruin shit.

Lol

• Haha 1

Yes, legalization definitely caused the prices to drop. I think it has hit its low. If it was gold, I'd invest everything and buy it all. 

I don't think weed prices (legal) can get much lower. It is being taxed so heavily now that it can't make a profit at a much lower price. It's actually helping the black market. Dispensaries are charging $35 an eighth (minimum package size other than pre-rolls) then tax on top of that. The black market is selling for $10-15 a gram and can't sell it fast enough. Oils and edibles are the only thing keeping the stores open. 

I don't get it, 10 bucks a gram is still 70 a 1/4

Same as store.

Now taxes..

Oh well that was a promise and a Golden egg.

I heard many advotes say oh well we will be glad to pay taxes

It's for the schools and the children.

No one give fuck about school now lol.

I  have always said

There are 2 mobs

The government mob

And the Mob mob.

I personally prefer the latter

Shit gets done, and you know where you stand 

And what you owe.

• Like 1

Well, it seems to me that legalization overseas is what toleration is in Holland. Somehow, someway, the grower must pay. Shopkeepers that buy my product get real cocky in here, it has come to the point that i'd rather kill them than deal with them.  

If i was in a state where they allow four plants, i would grow four trees under a few thousand watts and do a huge scrog. Play by their rules and grow like a madman. I mean, even if you still have restrictions and that ain't legalization, you can use their rules to your own advantage and stash more and more.

Just keep growing and keep stashin' and you won't need to worry about cashin'!  I wish i could grow four by law, man i really do!

• Like 2

The Michigan Medical Marihuana (yes, that's the official, guv'mint spelling of reefer in Michigan — with an h) situation is getting critical for the dispensaries. A look at weedmaps show that the cupboards are bare.

I doubt the growers are suffering, but the patients without caregivers are fucked. Sheer stupidity on the part of state government.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

They are so messed up on this, it is nuts here in Michigan. IMHO there should be all access available to a patient. If they are supposedly allowing caregivers to supply, with protection, why don't they allow all card carrying growers to help patients, with protection. Some don't mind playing the black market, but some are so new to this they are SOL, because they never had that type connection, some would out right be scared to try to find it. It is messed up, have a law for years to have legal supplied dispensaries, and we still do not.

https://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-11472-487524--,00.html?fbclid=IwAR2mLeVLq4bWf6WQGaIceRoMiH4xCq3OaAVAp86h52zOMJBoc09ZqbHoLkE

@Misterdirt

• Like 1

Hey I was thinking, now that everyone over 21 is legal to use, we don't have to worry about smelling like pot here lol. No more dousing with cologne to cover the smell lol Freedom!ha~

On 1/10/2019 at 1:06 AM, Justcozz said:

Yes, legalization definitely caused the prices to drop. I think it has hit its low. If it was gold, I'd invest everything and buy it all. 

I don't think weed prices (legal) can get much lower. It is being taxed so heavily now that it can't make a profit at a much lower price. It's actually helping the black market. Dispensaries are charging $35 an eighth (minimum package size other than pre-rolls) then tax on top of that. The black market is selling for $10-15 a gram and can't sell it fast enough. Oils and edibles are the only thing keeping the stores open. 

oh it sure as hell can drop a lot more! just 'weeding' out the newcomers attracted to money and when the novelty wears off you dont want to pay top dollar for you daily smokes

the difference between 10-15 a gram or 5-6 a gram is huge

On 1/15/2019 at 10:13 AM, Hamme Hydro said:

Well, it seems to me that legalization overseas is what toleration is in Holland. Somehow, someway, the grower must pay. Shopkeepers that buy my product get real cocky in here, it has come to the point that i'd rather kill them than deal with them.  

If i was in a state where they allow four plants, i would grow four trees under a few thousand watts and do a huge scrog. Play by their rules and grow like a madman. I mean, even if you still have restrictions and that ain't legalization, you can use their rules to your own advantage and stash more and more.

Just keep growing and keep stashin' and you won't need to worry about cashin'!  I wish i could grow four by law, man i really do!

hitting the nail on the head, this usa LEGAL thing doesnt make it legal even, it just starts tolerating the whole thing, its still illegal.

since its NOT legal, your plan would work exactly the same here, suddenly there are rules to keep you from growing your "legal" crop, testing, stash limits, pretty funny when you realize all these rules are about a still illegal product.

• Like 1