•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

elchupacabra

Warehouse Grow 1000 sqft Design

Hey Fam

Been under the radar for a while. Faced some issues here. But they're largely resolved, and I'm moving up in scale. Going from 100 sqft to 1000 sqft and I want it to be as bloody perfect as possible. I have lots of ideas, but I really want to see what the wisdom and knowledge of this forum has to offer. In my experience, it's usually a few solid grades above what my little brain can come up with. ;)

So here is what I have to work with:

• 1000 sqft (expandable up to 3500 sqft)
  • As big of a cooling system as necessary (HVAC)
  • A fairly hot and humid climate that probably averages at 30°C and 85% R/H annually, with a seasonal variation of 30% or so. 

And...that's all as far as the limitations go. I have sources for funding, and was looking for advice in the following domains - though they're all interconnected.

1. Lighting: My initial idea was to go for 1000w Gavita DE fixtures. I want to - truly - consider LEDs. The problem is, the 400w LED fixtures that I got made (8 x cree cxb 3590 3500k @ 50w each) performed rather poorly for me. The parts were all original - meanwell drivers, ledil lenses, and the lot. Just couldn't get the same yield that I was getting from a 600w HPS in a square metre. I tried for a year, the yields were almost 30% less. I have not given up on the idea of LEDs, but I need some recommendations for what to go for, given an operation of this side. I have been checking out Fluence, Platinum, and California Lightworks. Again, budget is not the biggest criteria - I just need high quality, long lasting, tested and proven LEDs. I am not too keen on building my own again. The 1000w Gavita DE is a solid option, and if I have doubts, I will go for it, but I really do want to use these LEDs, to save a lot of money on air conditioning. If LEDs, I need info on which LEDs, how many per sqm, how far they should be from the plants, etc. If HPS, I just wanted to know how far apart they should be and how high up. I understand that for larger operations, it is not necessary to continuously raise and lower the light, and that it can be at a fixed height. What height is ideal?
  2. Growing Style: I was considering an undercurrent system, with a single plant per square metre, trained to a net. I thought a scrog would make the most sense, but I'm open to more ideas. If I go with a SOG, the only thing for me is finding the right strain that will work in there. (or maybe, learning how to better trim a plant for single cola growth). I have no issues with plant count, but really don't want to cross 16 per sqm. Currently, I have both an undercurrent and a deep water NFT pipe system running side by side, and the undercurrent is obviously better suited for larger plants than the pipes. I feel, that in my experience, I have found it far easier to find SCROG friendly strains than SOG friendly ones. 
  3. Pointers: I wanted to get some tips from you pros out there on anything that you would tell someone who is starting a large grow for the first time. :) 
  4. Useable Area: How much of the area should I be using? It's a 1000 sqft, so how much space should I keep for walking around, storage of nutrients, etc.? I will be building an internal partition and separating a grow space for mother plants and clones as well.

Please shower your opinions and criticism upon me, opengrowers

best vibes

El Chupacabra

As far as lighting goes, led would be ideal for economic reasons. But you know how to run hid, so hid makes the most sense for now. With my very limited use of led, I would suggest setting them as high as possible, then lower them enough to make the plants happy. 

If your growing from 100sf to 1000sf, I wouldn't attempt to fill it right away. Set up 3-4 100 sf areas, then your working with familiar grow systems, just more of them. This will allow you to try different growing methods while always maintaining your bread and butter (what you know works for you) then expand using your new knowledge.

Depending on the layout of your building, I don't think you will be able to use much more than 7-800 sf for actual grow space. You need isles, storage, office space etc. 

moving into a 1000sf area has probably got a 1000 ideas running through your head... like " 1000sf x 1 plant per sf...who hoo 1000 plants" but obviously if one thing goes wrong you lose everything. Grow how you know how to grow, then expand, not in size necessarily, just numbers. Instead of one grow room, run several, each being its own entity. Test styles lights etc, of something works well share it with the other room, if something sucks, it only effected a small area. Once you can run all the rooms with consistent satisfactory results, them bump up to more and or larger rooms. 

Ok, enough of me rambling, just a few ideas for you to think about, good luck.

• Thanks 1

HVAC, keep in mind that the existing hvac system may not be suitable for what you want to do. Each system is designed for what the building is being used for.  It is also where most people cut costs during a build. The budget has been depleted and they put in bare minimum of what they think they need. Nothing will break you quicker than being 1/2 way into a grow and find out that you cannot maintain an environment at a price that will maintain a profit.

Have an hvac guy come in, tell them exactly what your plans are. Cross your fingers the only thing that has to be changed is the ducting. A new system can run tens of thousands of dollars. 

Expect to have to replace everything that already exists within your new building. That way, there are no surprises. 

Also, I would suggest visiting any and all existing commercial grows you can. Then try and talk to people that have failed or on the verge of failure. What they tell you could be priceless. keep in mind, most people that fail in business will tell you it wasn't their fault, you need to be able to read through the bullshit. 

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the advice. While I am not in a place where grow rooms exist, I am talking to friends who have these kind of operations in USA. 

I agree with the moving up slowly point. But im not sure how different 1000 will be from 400 apart from the fact that the investment will be less. Everything that can be automated will be - from nutrients to whatnot. 

As for HVAC, having only grown in a hot climate, ever, I am not one to undermine the importance of a cooling system. That will likely be the first and largest part of the investment.

How many 1000w HPS would be needed for, say, 750 sqft? Im thinking about 30? 

Also, this warehouse has a massive 25 foot ceiling. Would it make sense for me to create a false ceiling to cut down on cooling costs? Im sure that cooling a room with a 10 foot ceiling, and, therefore, just 40% of the total volume, will be way easier than cooling a 25 foot tall room.

I am also outfitting a 1000 sq space.  (not as fast as I would like but were doin it

First thing; expand to the most you can run, you will need some off canopy space for drying storing setup and processing, all of which should be done in separate spaces if practical.

Good lighting is everything.

For Hid you are looking at 40 1k lights for a 1000 sq space of lit canopy, so yea 30.  Those cost 2 to 5 hundred each depending on what you get.

For led I found there are three price points that you will need a different number of each depending.  

The cheap set 3 to 8 hundred each are almost all box panels like rolando with about a third (300W) of an HID light in power use heat and yields.  

The middle ground 1000 to 1500 are mostly high powered box lights like black dog or cobs  and run about two thirds of an HID light in power use heat and yields.

The upper set from 1500 to 2500 each are large fixtures either panels like nextlight or bars like fluence and will run about two thirds of an HID in power and heat while competitive on yields.  

It's worth noting that the newer sulfur plasma lights are mid priced and are almost exact sunlight spectrum with a CRI close to 100% that run 300W and are much cooler than HID.  A combination of these (blue doped LEP) and some bloom booster (deep red spectrum) bars is what we are considering.   

Head room is GOOD,

Do not put in a ceiling... 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Scone_Of_Ark said:

I am also outfitting a 1000 sq space.  (not as fast as I would like but were doin it

First thing; expand to the most you can run, you will need some off canopy space for drying storing setup and processing, all of which should be done in separate spaces if practical.

Good lighting is everything.

For Hid you are looking at 40 1k lights for a 1000 sq space of lit canopy, so yea 30.  Those cost 2 to 5 hundred each depending on what you get.

For led I found there are three price points that you will need a different number of each depending.  

The cheap set 3 to 8 hundred each are almost all box panels like rolando with about a third (300W) of an HID light in power use heat and yields.  

The middle ground 1000 to 1500 are mostly high powered box lights like black dog or cobs  and run about two thirds of an HID light in power use heat and yields.

The upper set from 1500 to 2500 each are large fixtures either panels like nextlight or bars like fluence and will run about two thirds of an HID in power and heat while competitive on yields.  

It's worth noting that the newer sulfur plasma lights are mid priced and are almost exact sunlight spectrum with a CRI close to 100% that run 300W and are much cooler than HID.  A combination of these (blue doped LEP) and some bloom booster (deep red spectrum) bars is what we are considering.   

Head room is GOOD,

Do not put in a ceiling... 

Thanks for dropping in, Scone.

Im going to go with HID, most likely, and I'm going to go with gavita. 

But I am looking to experiment in my 100sq foot room, and that means leds. specifically, which brand/models should I be looking at? I am only interested in those that will save me the most money in terms of operating expenses, so that would be the ones that pull less power and put out less heat while rivaling HPS yields. Heard a lot about Fluence, California Light Works and platinum. 

Can you point me to somewhere where I can read up about plasma as well? When you say bloom booster bars, what are you specifically referring to?

And isn't more headroom = more volume of air to cool?

LED’s will solve ninety percent of your environmental problems, they just will.    The payback is considerably faster than advertised, due to reduced heat management issues, more efficient nutrient uptake, faster flowering times, less fans, and generally about half the watt usage of 600 s or 1000s.   Maybe about a third less on the good leds you’d  want.   It’s money well spent.    

Im small potatoes, but  running a Platinum 600s and 450, and I will never go back to HPS, no reason to, the LEDs grow danker bud, faster.   About 5 days to a week faster flowering times, in my experience, having done about ten runs of strains I’ve also run under HPS.    They also limit stretch in some strains, and increase THC 3-5% over Hps.  

There’s tons of comparisons on YouTube of different brands, worth a look.  Any of the good manufacturers will give you awesome results, and it’s great advice to start them VERY HIGH!   I could have avoided a lot of headaches had I followed it myself.   These things will absolutely fry your plants until you get your nutrients balanced out, but once you do, no worries.  I jacked a few grows trying to put them too close.   The good ones will do great four feet above your plants and penetration is deeper than HPS, too. 

Oh!   Check out defoliation on YouTube ,my new thing, lol.   Works awesome and reduces the need for as much scrogging.    

Best of luck to you   ! 

• Thanks 1

Full spectrum light is what I like best.  I do not easily recommend LED lights on such a scale.

Look into LEC lights or cmh.  Ceramic metal halide.  Close to full spectrum and easy on the environment.

People get great results with all the lights mentioned above. The only right lights are the ones that work best for you. I wouldn't suggest buying enough lights for a 1000sf grow if you are not comfortable using them. 

I cant say anything bad about any lights. But I do know LEDs have a learning curve. I bought 3 HIGROW 1000w (400 actual watt). In a 2'x4'x60" tall tent one is way too much. My LBxSiFi Blaze clones are still only about 12 inches tall and have about 14 nodes at about 8 weeks veg plus a couple of weeks flower.  If I was trying these lights on a large grow, I would have been screwed. 

That's a good point. Everything I've read says that watt for watt, 600s are more efficient than 1000s. As well as three 600s(1800w) will produce better results than two 1000s (2000w). Ten 100w lights from more angles can provide better coverage than one 1000w using the same spectrum and watt per foot, just something to keep in mind.

• Like 1

I'm saving up to switch my other room to two 600 watts too. I even had a mover in that room, didn't help. But those 2 600 gives full coverage, no mover needed. So gonna do my other room the same.

• Like 1

The plasma lights are called LEP or light emitting plasma.  Gavita makes one, but there are better ones with more power.

These are 300 watt lights that put out about as much light as a typical 300 watt LED, but the spectrum is almost spot on sunlight.   I am after spectrum for quality more than yield in a space this size.  

Bloom boosters are deep red/IR led used to encourage flower set and blooming in general.  These come in blue/UV as well for that frosty high mountain finish.  They do not need to run near as much wattage because they are used to trigger a response in the plant rather than feeding it.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 10:05 PM, Scone_Of_Ark said:

The plasma lights are called LEP or light emitting plasma.  Gavita makes one, but there are better ones with more power.

These are 300 watt lights that put out about as much light as a typical 300 watt LED, but the spectrum is almost spot on sunlight.   I am after spectrum for quality more than yield in a space this size.  

Bloom boosters are deep red/IR led used to encourage flower set and blooming in general.  These come in blue/UV as well for that frosty high mountain finish.  They do not need to run near as much wattage because they are used to trigger a response in the plant rather than feeding it.

So what is your plasma setup looking like? Over, say, 5 square metres, how many lights do you have and how many bloom boosters?

And, what are the models of LEDs you'd consider for a 1000w setup?

On 1/9/2019 at 9:26 PM, gardenartus said:

I'm saving up to switch my other room to two 600 watts too. I even had a mover in that room, didn't help. But those 2 600 gives full coverage, no mover needed. So gonna do my other room the same.

On 1/9/2019 at 9:12 PM, Justcozz said:

That's a good point. Everything I've read says that watt for watt, 600s are more efficient than 1000s. As well as three 600s(1800w) will produce better results than two 1000s (2000w). Ten 100w lights from more angles can provide better coverage than one 1000w using the same spectrum and watt per foot, just something to keep in mind.

this probably wouldn't apply for a bigger grow with larger numbers of overlapping lights? i'd guess that 30-40kw would be better with 1000w's because you can keep them at a fixed distance from the plants?

Try not to think in square meters or yards, rather think in whatever size one light covers.

I think in 4 by 4 or 20 square foot or 5 by 5 or 25 square foot areas depending on what lights I am using.  

Plasma fixtures with two strips of spectrum lighting each set covering a 4 by 4 square foot area lined up in rows with a walk way between em.  (this is if we agree to use em) we are likely just going with a middle tier LED setup.  

LED fixtures 101

You get what you pay for just like everything else, and these are  not cheap.  The middle tier lights will cost about a dollar per watt, the higher quality ones almost 2 dollars per watt.  The less expensive ones cover a 4 by 4 square the more expensive ones cover a 5 by 5 square.  

Just like everything else, the more wattage you use the deeper your canopy gets.  

4 hours ago, Scone_Of_Ark said:

Try not to think in square meters or yards, rather think in whatever size one light covers.

I think in 4 by 4 or 20 square foot or 5 by 5 or 25 square foot areas depending on what lights I am using.  

Plasma fixtures with two strips of spectrum lighting each set covering a 4 by 4 square foot area lined up in rows with a walk way between em.  (this is if we agree to use em) we are likely just going with a middle tier LED setup.  

LED fixtures 101

You get what you pay for just like everything else, and these are  not cheap.  The middle tier lights will cost about a dollar per watt, the higher quality ones almost 2 dollars per watt.  The less expensive ones cover a 4 by 4 square the more expensive ones cover a 5 by 5 square.  

Just like everything else, the more wattage you use the deeper your canopy gets.  

First of all, I really appreciate your timely responses and your advice and help. I need as much of it as I can get and I am greatly indebted to you. If you want some indigenous seeds from parts of India for your breeding projects, do let me know. :)

More questions: (sorry)

1. Can you give me some examples of these high tier LEDs and mid tier leds? I want to test some out in my smaller room. 

2. Can you also give me specifics on the plasma lighting and spectrum lighting? In terms of brand, model, and wattage? I definitely wanna try those out too. 

Thanks again for your advice. And I really want to see your room and mine when they're done!! :)

best vibes

el chupa

I agree with the comment of LED's on a large scale, they  can get pricey, and there's a learning curve to getting the most out of them.   You don't want to spend that kind of cash and make mistakes.  On the size grow you're building, the manufacturers will actually help with the design and layout.  You'll smile when you get your electric bill, though.  Some sites have "payback" statistics on how long it takes to recover the additional cost of LED's over HPS.   You can even try some of both, see which you like best.     

High tier, Illumitex, Black Dog, Kind, California Light Works, a bunch of others folks have mentioned here.  Mid tier, Platinum, Viaspectra, crap tier, Mars Hydro, or anything costing under $800 bucks for a 600 watt HPS alternative..    I read for days on this stuff before taking the leap, and a good place to find information is the top tier websites.   For example, Illumitex is doing huge indoor grows, not just cannabis, but food!  They've always been a personal favorite, as they are in Austin, and they're website has tons of info.  Same with Black Dog and Kind.  I've been running Platinum for a few years now, with great results, as it seemed like a mid tier to get my feet wet with LEDs.  

The #1 mistake I made was trying to put the lights too close, which causes ALL kinds of issues, that look like everything from light burn, to nutrient burn, to nutrient lockout.  The science is, because the spectrum is so selective, the LED's "drive" the plants much harder.  Just like HPS, intensity drops off exponentially with the distance of light from the plants.  While I could run my HPS 600's 12 inches from the plant tops, you try that with an LED, and you'll make toast!  They put off virtually no heat, but the spectrum will sunburn you!  Seriously.    

I'm experimenting right now with 4 strains, raising and lowering the light.  Much closer than 3 feet, and I can see the leaves droop, 4 feet, and they "reach" for the light.  Interesting stuff.   If you look at the commercial ops, lights are always WAY high.   Has a lot to do with root mass, too, a plant can only handle the photosynthesis it's root mass will support.  So, as plants get bigger, they can tolerate more light, just like seedlings.       

Another great source for LED info is the manufacturers Facebook pages.  Growers will show their actual results and grows.    

I personally think HPS is on it's way out, out of necessity.  CD's didn't live forever, either.    The grow ops in Colorado are taxing electrical grids to the max, it's getting to be a real problem in some areas.  Plus, God bless capitalism, again, the accountants are looking to reduce production costs, and nothing is larger than ongoing electricity expenses.  

Something that is overlooked quite often is the reduction in flowering times with good LED's, that translates into more grows per year.   I get 5-7 days sooner harvest with most strains.   

Happy growing, and best of luck to you.  

LED lights will generally need to be replaced every 3 to 5 years.  This recurring cost is more than replacing bulbs for cmh lighting.

Even if you have those LED whos parts can be changed, the man hours to do that on top of all of what you will be doing crop wise is a massive pain in the arse.

Use full spectrum lighting regardless.  I enjoyed LED (mostly in veg) but CMH has my thumbs up at this point in time.

On the rest.

I would consider a flood and drain system for a variety of reasons:  The first in your case you have high humidity and high temps, keeping everything cool enough to prevent root rot is a constant thing.  Flood and drain removes that aspect.  Additionally flood and drain and can be reused as well.  Just keep aerated and at a good temp.  You can set timers for flood and drain or set up to turn on with a push of a button depending on the setup.

I would consider many single or cola with small crown plants than scrogs, depends on if plant numbers are an issue for you.  If so a srog I would consider if the genetics are good with that management type.

Some information on lighting and environment for rooms and such.

http://culturalhealingandlife.com.www413.your-server.de/index.php?/forum/15-indoor-gardening/

Anyways just a thought.

3- 5 years?  How so?  Most modern LED's are rated for 50-100,000 hours of use.  5 years of 24 hour use is 43,800 hours, so half that for flowering give you ten years, minimum.  But I see your point, some will need replacing, but I doubt before five years, minimum.    I don't know how many crappy ballasts, fans, bulbs, etc, I've replaced over the years.  I just got sick of dealing with the heat of HID lighting.  

One of the selling points of LED is their lifespan, which is why I ask.  I'm not up to speed on the CMH, will look into them, thanks.  

I enjoyed LED in flowering the most, really cuts down on stretch, internode length, and buds are more compact and danker.   Also, the light penetration is deeper into the canopy.  

I've never grown a pure sativa under LED's, would be curious how a Jamaican/Columbian, or Thai would work.  I have done Kali Mist, Silverfields, Jack, etc, all with great results.       

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dieseldog381 said:

I agree with the comment of LED's on a large scale, they  can get pricey, and there's a learning curve to getting the most out of them.   You don't want to spend that kind of cash and make mistakes.  On the size grow you're building, the manufacturers will actually help with the design and layout.  You'll smile when you get your electric bill, though.  Some sites have "payback" statistics on how long it takes to recover the additional cost of LED's over HPS.   You can even try some of both, see which you like best.     

High tier, Illumitex, Black Dog, Kind, California Light Works, a bunch of others folks have mentioned here.  Mid tier, Platinum, Viaspectra, crap tier, Mars Hydro, or anything costing under $800 bucks for a 600 watt HPS alternative..    I read for days on this stuff before taking the leap, and a good place to find information is the top tier websites.   For example, Illumitex is doing huge indoor grows, not just cannabis, but food!  They've always been a personal favorite, as they are in Austin, and they're website has tons of info.  Same with Black Dog and Kind.  I've been running Platinum for a few years now, with great results, as it seemed like a mid tier to get my feet wet with LEDs.  

The #1 mistake I made was trying to put the lights too close, which causes ALL kinds of issues, that look like everything from light burn, to nutrient burn, to nutrient lockout.  The science is, because the spectrum is so selective, the LED's "drive" the plants much harder.  Just like HPS, intensity drops off exponentially with the distance of light from the plants.  While I could run my HPS 600's 12 inches from the plant tops, you try that with an LED, and you'll make toast!  They put off virtually no heat, but the spectrum will sunburn you!  Seriously.    

I'm experimenting right now with 4 strains, raising and lowering the light.  Much closer than 3 feet, and I can see the leaves droop, 4 feet, and they "reach" for the light.  Interesting stuff.   If you look at the commercial ops, lights are always WAY high.   Has a lot to do with root mass, too, a plant can only handle the photosynthesis it's root mass will support.  So, as plants get bigger, they can tolerate more light, just like seedlings.       

Another great source for LED info is the manufacturers Facebook pages.  Growers will show their actual results and grows.    

I personally think HPS is on it's way out, out of necessity.  CD's didn't live forever, either.    The grow ops in Colorado are taxing electrical grids to the max, it's getting to be a real problem in some areas.  Plus, God bless capitalism, again, the accountants are looking to reduce production costs, and nothing is larger than ongoing electricity expenses.  

Something that is overlooked quite often is the reduction in flowering times with good LED's, that translates into more grows per year.   I get 5-7 days sooner harvest with most strains.   

Happy growing, and best of luck to you.  

WOW. I used to keep my 400w CREE fixture just a hair under a foot or so above the tops of my canopy. I never really saw any 'symptoms' (plants were green, happy, not drooping, healthy) but my yields were soooo low. Do you think it's possible that this was the result of having the light fixtures too close? 

Regardless, I guess I am not far enough along on the learning curve to adapting LEDs to a larger scale operation, and will probably have to go with the gavitas, for lack of any better feasible alternative.  

Here's a pretty objective comparison between CMH and LED's.   

Well, my first LED grow was Holy Princess, and she grew like a mofo, ginormous leaves, and super compact!!  But, I couldn't get the nutrients worked out, it kept looking like a phosphorous deficiency, which, it actually was.  I was in DWC, with my light at about 18 inches, and I always change out the reservoir, and start from scratch when I encounter a problem.  That way, I'm not shooting in the dark, I know where I started from.  I finally doubled the bloom fertilizer, and it cleared right up, which would have fried her in a soil grow or under HPS.  BUT, once I raised my lights to three feet, most problems dissipated.  So it's a learning curve, the right spectrum makes plants grow faster, and you have to have a really solid root structure established.   Oh!!!  Almost forgot!!!  Water usage goes down under LED, due to no heat, for most of the grow.   

My yields have always been fine with LED, which I thought would suffer, but that's old school.  The new lights will match or exceed any HID setup, and they increase THC 3-5% over HPS.  Buds are more compact, but not always, pretty strain dependent.   

On a grow your size, I'd get the setup you're most comfortable with, then try a light that catches your eye, before betting the farm.   I like the CMH, but dang, they make them sound dangerous if you ever break one, or spend any time around them.   I don't need risk in a small space!  I don't want to start growing a third eye or something.    

https://growace.com/blog/led-grow-lights-vs-ceramic-metal-halide-grow-lights-which-is-better/

2 hours ago, Hempyfan said:

LED lights will generally need to be replaced every 3 to 5 years.  This recurring cost is more than replacing bulbs for cmh lighting.

Even if you have those LED whos parts can be changed, the man hours to do that on top of all of what you will be doing crop wise is a massive pain in the arse.

Use full spectrum lighting regardless.  I enjoyed LED (mostly in veg) but CMH has my thumbs up at this point in time.

On the rest.

I would consider a flood and drain system for a variety of reasons:  The first in your case you have high humidity and high temps, keeping everything cool enough to prevent root rot is a constant thing.  Flood and drain removes that aspect.  Additionally flood and drain and can be reused as well.  Just keep aerated and at a good temp.  You can set timers for flood and drain or set up to turn on with a push of a button depending on the setup.

I would consider many single or cola with small crown plants than scrogs, depends on if plant numbers are an issue for you.  If so a srog I would consider if the genetics are good with that management type.

Some information on lighting and environment for rooms and such.

http://culturalhealingandlife.com.www413.your-server.de/index.php?/forum/15-indoor-gardening/

Anyways just a thought.

how much area does one standard 315w CMH cover? I need to do some research into this. 

thanks for the link, brother

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dieseldog381 said:

Here's a pretty objective comparison between CMH and LED's.   

Well, my first LED grow was Holy Princess, and she grew like a mofo, ginormous leaves, and super compact!!  But, I couldn't get the nutrients worked out, it kept looking like a phosphorous deficiency, which, it actually was.  I was in DWC, with my light at about 18 inches, and I always change out the reservoir, and start from scratch when I encounter a problem.  That way, I'm not shooting in the dark, I know where I started from.  I finally doubled the bloom fertilizer, and it cleared right up, which would have fried her in a soil grow or under HPS.  BUT, once I raised my lights to three feet, most problems dissipated.  So it's a learning curve, the right spectrum makes plants grow faster, and you have to have a really solid root structure established.   Oh!!!  Almost forgot!!!  Water usage goes down under LED, due to no heat, for most of the grow.   

My yields have always been fine with LED, which I thought would suffer, but that's old school.  The new lights will match or exceed any HID setup, and they increase THC 3-5% over HPS.  Buds are more compact, but not always, pretty strain dependent.   

On a grow your size, I'd get the setup you're most comfortable with, then try a light that catches your eye, before betting the farm.   I like the CMH, but dang, they make them sound dangerous if you ever break one, or spend any time around them.   I don't need risk in a small space!  I don't want to start growing a third eye or something.    

https://growace.com/blog/led-grow-lights-vs-ceramic-metal-halide-grow-lights-which-is-better/

hmm this isn't really an objective comparison. i'm sure you intended it to be at some point though, no harm done. (;

Is the risk of breaking a CMH that bad? 

Non Bias, no brand names mentioned. These guys are the shit regarding LED lighting.

• Thanks 1