•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

elchupacabra

Warehouse Grow 1000 sqft Design

"Is the risk of breaking a CMH that bad?"

For me, yeah, I'm clumsy as heck!  lol.

Kind of objective?  I was stoned at the time.  Actually, read a few pieces comparing LED vs CMH,  to learn more about CMH, and felt most were pretty balanced, but usually good info.  No sense asking an LED company if CMH is better, or vice versus.   

It sounds like CMH still puts out quite a bit of heat, but that may not be an issue for you in a larger space.  Whenever I see multiple warnings about how these lights can hurt you, skin, eyes, and you're planning to use more than one of them, it's a legit concern.  LED's will blind you, too, glasses a must with any light.    I'm not always home, which was always a concern with HPS, if a fan goes down, it could get dangerous fast, as 600's put out massive amounts of heat, 5000 BTU's per light,  as I recall.     

If I was putting together a 1,000 sq ft grow room I would go with the LED Samsung Quantum Panel boards. you can all the pieces separately and assemble yourself at an inexpensive price. 1,000 watt equivalent LED panel will have a 5 X 5 flowering area or 25 sq ft. and with a 100,000 hours life span, that's around 20 years in actual use (most pre assembled have 3 to 5 year warranties . Plus they're full spectrum white light, low heat and up to 30% more efficient. I had a grow buddy that went with Plasma and had nothing but trouble. Regarding HP, MH I always replaced my bulbs every 6month's to a year, can't speak for the CMH's went LED over them due to heat and specs.

Best of Luck,

Baq

Yeah we are not really sold on plasma either.  

I want to use em for the spectrum, but they are not full power fixtures, they are supplemental lighting for filling in weak HPS spectrum.  I want to use em exclusively because of the near sun spectrum but reality demands we go with cheaper cooler running options like mid tier LED.  Those panels would rock, they're like no frills nextlights with better chips.

I am even scaling back on the percentage of flower to both save startup money and save lots of headaches later trying to service 3/4 of the available space as flower. 

Though I am in it to make more money than I do now, the people financing me are just doing this to check out the industry and gather data for a much larger buy in later.   Being the only one they know personally that even grows pot got me into this.  If this goes well I may end up playing gatekeeper for these guys later on, which is way better money than growing pot.  

Imagine Canna industry entrepreneurs trying to get by Me.  <_<

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/15/2019 at 11:25 PM, baqualin said:

Non Bias, no brand names mentioned. These guys are the shit regarding LED lighting.

Thanks. It covers the basics of LEDs without going into brands, and anybody who doesn't know or understand ppfd and other technical lighting concepts, this video makes it easy.

Hey folks, just giving a due update.

1. Intellidose - Spoke to these guys regarding nutrient dosing automation and pH control. Seems to be a bit expensive, at 1500 USD per system per room, plus an intellilink unit to connect them to a remote monitoring configuration (the intelligrow app). 
  2. I will be going with the gavita setup controlled by the gavita controller. probably the safest decision for me at the moment.
  3. undercurrent setup, with 15 plants every 10 sqm
  4. I heard some people suggest that I try going with my LEDs again in the research and testing room, but farther away from the plant. According to them, the 6-7" was too close. 
  5. I am going to finally start experimenting with concentrates, dabs, and liquids. I'm getting a nice 15 ton rosin press, and was wondering, what kind of percentage yield can I expect? Obviously, there is going to be variation in quality in terms of the press used, the bud used, etc., but I'm just looking for a ballpark figure.

time to get reading up on the opengrow archive :nerd

On 1/18/2019 at 6:06 AM, Scone_Of_Ark said:

Though I am in it to make more money than I do now, the people financing me are just doing this to check out the industry and gather data for a much larger buy in later.   Being the only one they know personally that even grows pot got me into this.  If this goes well I may end up playing gatekeeper for these guys later on, which is way better money than growing pot.  

It's similar for me, amigo. The people financing me are just doing this to see if it's possible. If it works, we will scale up. If it doesn't, we will shut down. Hopefully the former. 

Also super excited to test out soil grows in the research room this year. Still waiting for my sugar punch seeds, I think it's been a month or so. Hoping it'll be in soon. 

Best Vibes

El Chupa

Many months later. Here we are.

IMG_20190816_172521.thumb.jpg.b2de34b919b1959efa234cbd83eae8bf.jpg

Not gonna lie, this was a hard one. I had to talk to some friends of friends of friends back in 'murica and get some advice. I had to learn a lot more about electricals than I knew at the time. Most of the time since my last post was spent in:

1) finalising location
2) extending the power ceiling
3) talking to friends in america, back and forth planning
4) dealing with the nature of labour and work in my country, which follows a predictable trend of overcommitting and under-delivering. 
5) getting all the gear down to my country, through customs, while spending as little on import duty as possible.
6) communicating my needs to contractors here, and overseeing to ensure that the work is done as I want it done, and not how they want to do it.

Here's where we are at:

42 x 28 feet.
24 Gavita 1000w DE e-series. All hooked up to the Gavita EL2 controller. Racks for holding the pipes and the scrog net are in place. Water Tanks are in place, water level to be controlled by float valves, all installed.

8 x 2 ton AC units, 6 wall fans, 4 standing fans. 

Holes made for centrifugal fans for air intake, air exhaust, and to exchange air between the veg and flower rooms (this is the hole in the first picture). Need to stick the fans in there, and build a couple of massive carbon scrubbers - one for air exhaust, and another that will just be sitting in the room, scrubbin odours all day long. 

IMG_20190816_172836.thumb.jpg.d1f57fdf4be66c4938c796066582a9a8.jpg

Pipes need to be sealed at both ends, and put into place on the racks. Holes drilled, connectors in and ready. 

IMG_20190816_172855.thumb.jpg.c69f3c7819941294b95d9a6a103d04be.jpg

When I first turned on the lights, I was scared as hell, they flickered once and went off. The corresponding error code said 'igniting, no action required'. This happened to 19 of the lights, and I thought the lights weren't working. Then I left them all on and let them do their thing for about 30-45 minutes. Slowly but surely they all came on, and now they're all working 100%. I may need a dehumidifier later, I'm not sure to be honest. 

Security cameras have been set up. There's a tiny processing room (8x20 feet) as well for drying, pressing, packing, whatever. 

But since it's been so delayed, I have run into a couple of other problems, and I just can't wrap my head around what's wrong: 

IMG_20190816_135516.thumb.jpg.0b9dd365181abfee4d3a3b75e057e698.jpg

This is a mother plant of mine. Rolex OG x Pre'98 Bubba. When I started feeding her with RO water, she started to show cal mag deficiency symptoms. All my plants did. No biggie, I thought, and upped the cal/mg. The plants that were moved to the flowering room recovered just fine. The veg plants just got worse and worse. Changed reservoirs, checked pH, tried different amounts of cal mag, nothing did any good. Growth almost completely stalled and they're just looking sick as hell. Getting some H202 soon, hopefully that will help me get rid of pathogens if any. Not sure what's going on really, but it's really fucked up my schedule for moving clones into my larger setup. Stocking on some seeds from Sannie's but it takes 10-14 days to get here and then a couple weeks to get to where a clone would be at once rooted. 

Here's the clones from that plant. They were fine till I started using RO and then started developing what looked like cal/mg def. I was surprised because the water I used before the RO water was only about 100 ppm. I got the RO system installed because for a few months we were getting water from a nearby quarry - 300-500ppm. Now it's back to normal, i've reverted to using the standard 100 ppm water, but the plants just ain't recovering. 

IMG_20190816_135541.thumb.jpg.215e5050dea724edff50894e561851c4.jpg

anyway, I should be finishing the final setup soon, in a week or less. Will keep you guys posted.

Best Vibes

El Chupa

IMG_20190816_172830.jpg

• Like 2

Hey guys

No idea what's going on, this is only getting worse. haven't experienced anything like this in a while  Calmg doesn't seem to have worked, used it first at .25ml/l. Waited a few days. Changed res and reapplied at 1ml/l today. 

any ideas? PH is on point, between 5.5 and 6.5.

I've ordered h2o2, should be here soon. So hard to find food grade h2o2 in small quantities.

This is the worst time this could be happening, I have to fill out the big grow soon. 

IMG_20190823_181950.thumb.jpg.a9cd1d85b1b7b815cebc78e51515f7bd.jpg

IMG_20190823_182021.jpg

IMG_20190823_182027.jpg

IMG_20190823_182000.jpg

IMG_20190823_182050.jpg

K def : )

maybe hit with bloom 

what have you been feeding her and for how long ?

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, ifish said:

K def : )

maybe hit with bloom 

what have you been feeding her and for how long ?

Same thing I've always been feeding in veg. General Hydro flora 3 part. 1:1:1. This problem only showed up after I switched to RO water. Even when I went back to the normal water (70-80ppm) they didn't get better. So I'm not too sure what it is. Will keep this in mind though. Maybe I'll try a higher ratio of bloom.

• Like 1

There’s a good lot of green around that net pot in the white bucket in last pic 

Algal bloom

An algal bloom or marine bloom or water bloom is a rapid increase in the population of algae in an aquatic system.

Algal blooms may occur in freshwater as well as marine environments.

Typically only one or a few phytoplankton species are involved and some blooms may be recognized by discoloration of the water resulting from the high density of pigmented cells.

Although there is no officially recognized threshold level, algae can be considered to be blooming at concentrations of hundreds to thousands of cells per milliliter, depending on the causative species.

Algal bloom concentrations may reach millions of cells per milliliter.

Colors observed are green, yellowish-brown, or red.

Bright green blooms may also occur.

These are a result of blue-green algae, which are actually bacteria (cyanobacteria).

*Some algal blooms are the result of an excess of nutrients (particularly phosphorus and nitrogen) into waters * and higher concentrations of these nutrients in water cause increased growth of algae and green plants.

As more algae and plants grow, others die.

This dead organic matter becomes food for bacteria that decompose it.

With more food available, the bacteria increase in number and use up the dissolved oxygen in the water.

When the dissolved oxygen content decreases, many fish and aquatic insects cannot survive.

This results in a dead area.

Algal blooms may also be of concern as some species of algae produce neurotoxins.

At the high cell concentrations reached during some blooms, these toxins may have severe biological impacts on wildlife.

Algal blooms composed of phytoplankters known to naturally produce biotoxins are often called Harmful Algal Blooms, or HABs.

High nitregen and phosphorus as is a way of saying low k as well maybe , ................ you could be on to something @gardenartus ttf

• Like 1

I haven’t had an algae problem in the grow room, but do have one in my pond. I’ve read up on it, and getting rid of all dead organic material from the res is the only way to bring it to an end. H2O2 can help keep it under control, but between runs get everything clean sanitary. 

You have to clean all equipment and the tubing along with it. I Missed a piece of equipment, cleaning it, and it sure was a mistake. Use hydrogen peroxide on all. Could be something else, but sure looks like how mine did when algae growth and it starved them for oxygen, over night, it looked like they were air fried lol.

• Sad 1

I actually went to a normal harvest in that room, instead of perpetual, that way when I harvest I can clean everything, including the tubing.

• Like 2

Looks like some plants I sprayed with a sprayer that had bleach in it and forget to ALSO flush the main line..lol

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/2/2019 at 11:55 PM, bigun said:

Looks like some plants I sprayed with a sprayer that had bleach in it and forget to ALSO flush the main line..lol

LOL wow that really makes me question my skills (if existent). well, I threw away almost everything in my rotting veg room, but took some clones and kept them in a few different environments. 

1) 4 clones are in 200ppm solution with 200ml of 3% h202 solution in a 14L bucket

2) 4 clones in 200ppm solution with 100ml of 3% h202 solution in a 14L bucket

3) 4 clones in a 200ppm solution

We will see if anything happened tomorrow. 

Meanwhile, the flowering room is looking good. IMG_20190906_140856.thumb.jpg.33faacd04d4974de00fc5cf2da3dd41f.jpg

This is my cut of Rolex OG x Pre-98 Bubba (#9). Flipped on 13 July. Nearing completion. She's a 9-weeker, and really stacks on in the last 2 weeks, more than the the previous 8 weeks of the flowering cycle. Really interesting smells. Pine, licorice, candy, something earthy and sweet. IMG_20190905_180540.thumb.jpg.29e19ba54f345e12e08f8d32996a3241.jpg

Same strain, 2 plants under 2 sqm, 800w of Cree cxb3590 homemade LED. My messiest scrog yet. I just didn't have time to pay attention to it as much as usual, with work and with the bigger grow construction underway. 

--

Here is my favourite bluezilla (shout out to FoTH for this lovely cross). New Blue Diesel X Shackzilla, and the picture doesn't do her justice. My friend describes it as "fuck you, go home" weed. Really, really strong. Starts sativa like but the sledgehammer indica feel sets in soon enough.

IMG_20190906_141059.thumb.jpg.4a4bce7324f8e4a37f6244108bff0dcb.jpg

This row has too many different strains, due to poor planning for this round.  The colas sticking out are bluezilla. I tried bending them down, but some wouldn't stay and were not bent in time. The rest are the Rolex Bubbas.

IMG_20190905_180457_1.thumb.jpg.34085c517b03868b744da7745364ffb4.jpg

This row also has a different cutting of Rolex Bubba. (#10)

IMG_20190906_135738_1.thumb.jpg.11c3d9b1db1a05d29e5604bc7062870b.jpg

She's 50% clear, 50% cloudy at 7 weeks, but I like letting her go for 8 for more amber. Won't be running her again - finishes fast, but buds are not as big

This is the back side of the same row. The Rolex Bubba #10 is definitely less of a stretcher than her peers.

IMG_20190905_180514.thumb.jpg.67d0131b2a3d0e0c6224413107e1e599.jpg

--

And here we have row 1 - again, a mix of plants - bluezilla and Rolex Bubba #9. Scrogged better but still, never an optimal idea to scrog multiple strains together when the flowering rates are a bit different.

IMG_20190905_180521.thumb.jpg.6cf801db4576053f7c4a7e0b181fbb27.jpg

More updates on the large setup shortly.

Best Vibes

• Like 1

IMG_20190908_143334.thumb.jpg.ac82d01ab01fcf4a9402a490c2092322.jpg

IMG_20190908_143336.thumb.jpg.a31776e5a8f7e44a6ec48cc19d30c292.jpg

The first 50 hours of gavita's recommended 100 hours of running at 1000w are complete. 

The EL2 controller is awesome, it's awesome not having to depend on mechanical timers. 

The veg room has 4 gavitas. 2 will be over the pipe setup shown below for auto plants, just because I have the space and I can. Don't mind an extra kilo or 2. ;) Of the other 2, 1 will be used for vegging mother plants, and 1 for vegging rooted clones.

IMG_20190907_135757_1.thumb.jpg.0c8459593f489f96d47404b833b3d1e8.jpg

I also have two sets of 240w (8 X 30w) t5 LEDs for the clones' initial veg stage before they go under the gavitas for full power veg.

IMG_20190907_135751.thumb.jpg.78df43065554a37c5b3d9c380d69f0bb.jpg

As per my calculations, 54 clones on one tier and 54 clones on the floor in the rack below.

IMG_20190907_135746.thumb.jpg.8d85cb729a2df413d0d89df33aaea3d2.jpg 

Just got the piping and tank in the veg room to finish, then we can go for a test run with all the water flowin. 

Also, curious: has anyone tried scrogging a mother plant, just to get even growth of cuttings? 

BestVibes from a stoked user

El Chupacabra

• Like 1

Update:

The peroxide most certainly didn't work. So there goes my survivors of these two beautiful strains. :( Gutted, but gotta go on.

IMG_20190911_171600_1.thumb.jpg.288b520ca000f1645e005a2c766b4b2e.jpg

The Rolex x Pre Bubba - #9. Probably will be ready within 10-12 days. May have to chop her sooner though, because I really need to get better quality paint done, and fix whatever is wrong with my air con. Something is always going wrong. I think it's just that a 1.5ton air con is not enough for 6 lights and 100 sqf. Any machine running at 100% all the time will start to become problematic. 

I'm in the process of hacking the bluezilla, it's pretty much done. No time to wait for amber.

Probably going to spray the entire place down with rubbing alcohol after harvest