•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
ChakraCohen

Cleaning a Vaporizer Whip

Hi, guys, I just got a tabletop vaporizer and have been using it a lot. I clean the glass religiously, but I haven't cleaned the whip yet. It's starting to build up some residue though, so I think it's time to give it a clean. It's food and medical grade tubing, but I'm pretty sure dropping it in alcohol will ruin it but will rinsing it or soaking it in water help at all? This is probably a silly question but I'm pretty new to using vaporizers. 

*Hopefully this is an okay place to post this question - I couldn't really find any other sections that seemed to fit. 

• Like 1

Great question.

Rinsing or soaking in water will have little to no effect.  The cannabis residues are not water soluble.  They do dissolve in oils and alcohols however.

Soaking the tubing in alcohol would probably ruin it.  Your best bet is to find new tubing.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick reply! That's pretty much what I figured since my vaporizer came with two whips, but I try to waste as little as possible when I can. Looks like it's time to move onto whip #2. Thanks again for your help!

did you tryed soak & rinse with hot water? alc can work as well,i don´t think it ruin the tubing(try Vodca/Whisky,not the high proof stuff)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, saxo said:

did you tryed soak & rinse with hot water? alc can work as well,i don´t think it ruin the tubing(try Vodca/Whisky,not the high proof stuff)

I was going to say that wouldn't hurt since I'm going to end up tossing the used whip now anyway so there's no risk, but I guess that it could release some sort of chemicals or toxins from the vodka if I soaked it too long? Not sure how that works, but it seems like it's easier and safer to just cough up the $6.99 when I need to. 

• Like 1

NO...do not drink the Vodka after !!!!  ..just kidding!  if you rinse it with water after cleaning,it should be ok...but i know what you mean

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gardener said:

I have a disgusting old whip.  Let's do an experiment. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1c93.thumb.jpg.ede0ebc3f5a9a37f6e1d0d070d46980b.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1c94.thumb.jpg.adc6ae8a2715950f293f3d7353d1c239.jpg

Can I get a great big “Ewwwwwwww!!!”    

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I gave it a soak.  A rinse.  Another soak.  Another rinse.  Changed the alcohol in the bath.  Another soak.  Another rinse.  Another soak.  Another rinse.

It's not like new.  I don't know what soaking overnight would do to the tubing material.  But it could still get some of the stubborn staining out.  The whip is a lot better.  Before the bath, the entire outside of the whip was sticky.  I think it was bleeding through from the inside.  I rinsed with hot tap water.  It doesn't smell bad.  It feels better.  It looks better.  Still needs to dry.  But i think it is worth giving it a try.

I should have taken a picture of the first alcohol bath I dumped.  That would have shown how much gunk was removed.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1c95.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/11/2019 at 4:55 PM, Gardener said:

I gave it a soak.  A rinse.  Another soak.  Another rinse.  Changed the alcohol in the bath.  Another soak.  Another rinse.  Another soak.  Another rinse.

It's not like new.  I don't know what soaking overnight would do to the tubing material.  But it could still get some of the stubborn staining out.  The whip is a lot better.  Before the bath, the entire outside of the whip was sticky.  I think it was bleeding through from the inside.  I rinsed with hot tap water.  It doesn't smell bad.  It feels better.  It looks better.  Still needs to dry.  But i think it is worth giving it a try.

I should have taken a picture of the first alcohol bath I dumped.  That would have shown how much gunk was removed.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1c95.jpg

It actually does look a lot better!

• Like 1

I use a steel rod just smaller than the whip that I got at the hardware store. Take a cotton ball and rip off a piece a bit bigger than the inside diameter of the whip and soak it in some alcohol. Squeeze out most of the alcohol and then push the cotton wad through the whip with the rod. Have a folded paper towel on the counter to catch the droppings. I do this twice with wet cotton and then once with dry cotton. Works great with little mess.

I fear soaking the entire whip in alcohol will break it down in time.

Water won't work on resin, but soaking it in alcohol will and it won't break down the tubing. Also, don't use bleach as it creates toxic vapors that have a tough time escaping the tubing. Breathing bleach fumes can be painful and is really bad for your lungs.

The tubing will become brittle over time, no matter how you choose to clean it, so replacement will be needed at some point. A roll of surgical tubing will keep you vaping for years to come!

• Like 1