•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

I decided to try the AutoPot and just setup a 4-pot system in my tent and have a question or two before I get too far along, which isn't far. I've only put about an inch or two of clay balls into the bottom of the 3.9 gallon pots... I have the following grow medium option's: CocoTEK, Perlite, and an high quality organic soil mix from a recipe I made a batch of some time ago and had stored in a garbage can in my barn. It is very dry, but I assume it will be okay to use once thoroughly wetted. My orginal plan was to use a combination of all 3 medium's: CocoTEK, Perlite and my organic soil. But I have no idea in what ratio to use and worry if too much soil, I'll burn my new plants when they are ready to transplant into it from seed starters. So if someone could recommend an approach for what I have, I would be grateful to learn from you. From there, I think I just need to get a handle on a feeding schedule as it goes along. I was thinking the soil should provide plenty of nutrients on it's own for awhile before I would need to start feeding anything else- so this is another area where I could use some advice if possible. Pic of my tent and setup below, but not much to look at so far...

WWE Grow Setup @ 26 Jan 2019.JPG

• Like 4

What he said^^^

There are all kinds of soil recipes that work well. If you copied a mix from a weed site, you should be good. I'd start getting some moisture into that soil. If it's dry, it's not living. Many of the amendments in the mix should still be good, you just want to get it working. A little water and a few cups of compost starter will get everything going. You want your soil alive when you transplant those seedling.

• Like 2

Great comments and very helpful.

My lighting here is a 4' 6-lamp HO T5. I have a 1000w HPS/MH rigged up over my tent as this will likely be a full grow this time around to get me started growing perpetually.

Thanks to all for helping me to make the decision to add the soil I had made to my garden outside and go with the coco/perlite mix in the Autopots as  @Hamme Hydrosuggests. I've never heard of Mapito, so will have to Google that one.

I have been given some good resources to look into and now I need to determine what to feed them and establish a feeding schedule that works best for me. Thanks very much.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hamme Hydro said:

Soil doens't work very well in autopots i'm affraid, i'd go for coco/perlite or better yet mapito! 

what ratio do you recommend? and do you think just using GH FloraGro, Mico & Bloom throughout is okay? Thank you

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zrex said:

what ratio do you recommend? and do you think just using GH FloraGro, Mico & Bloom throughout is okay? Thank you

50/50 and i think the nutriment you use is fine! I use Floranova grow and bloom only.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Zrex said:

Hello again,

I have spent my day trying to find a feedchart that will work for me with the Autopots and the Flora series. I found a Flora Series feedchart for a Drain to Waste program (is that what the AutoPot is considered?) that has a weekly feeding schedule. To be sure, does this mean that I will just need to drain and refill the res every week with the specified amount of nutrients listed? I want to know how to set up a good feeding schedule I can rely on without having to overthink or worry as much as possible... I also read it is a good idea to periodically skip a feeding cycle and flush with only water?

The Autopot literature had an Air Dome system that looked interesting. I have some old aquarium air pumps and was wondering if I could or should hook those up before I fill up my pots?

My sprouts just popped today in Burpee XL 16-cell starters so my grow has really begun now! I have two strains that I thankfully have some seed to practice with from a former grow... Jackberry F4 and Herebei. I let males from both drop pollen and also had female from both produce seed that I kept separate- without really understanding why or if it mattered in some way. Don't know what to call what these seeds are, but guess a Jackberry/Herebei cross in some way. All but 1 of my Herebei's sprouted up this morning; while only 2 of the Jackberry have so far... 

Thanks again for your helpfulness

AutoPot is not a drain to waste system, the plants drink everything that is in the reservoir, so nothing is wasted. You'll have to measure the reservoir a few times a week to keep track of what goes on.  If you want to keep it simple, than rather go for Floranova Grow and Floranova Bloom. You don't need a feeding schedule, simply measure the Ec of your tap-water and add 1 or 1.2 and lower the pH to 5.5 with Dutch Pro pH minus or any other brand. Start with Floranova Grow and switch to Floranove bloom from week three of flowering. If the reservoir still has some water with Floranova Grow simply mix it with that until you measure the correct value (Ec tap-water + 1 or 1.2). Coco and perlite is an inert medium, so never skip a feeding and never flush with tap water. You can use the air pumps to make sure the water and nutriment mix well. 

I hope this helps!

So I decided to just give AutoPot a call and ask about Nutrient feeding, etc. Please see the new thread

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shiskaberry savior said:

I was under the impression that you could use something like sunshine#4 or pro mix hp in octopots ! 

Sorry are auto pots different than octopots? 

I am under the same impression and originally intended on using my own soil mix. But because my soil is old, dry and questionable, I decided to use cocotek and perlite only.

58 minutes ago, saxo said:

hey Zrex ,wishing you a goood run!! gonna watch this !

.....how high is it insde?

The tent is just 30" and will have to work for now. But I can easily remove the T5 fixture to switch on the 1000W hanging over it.