•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

I have a spare room (on HVAC) to grow in year round, but also have privacy enough to grow outdoors too. I have just started putting together my grow room, but have not really had a plan- only a goal of having a perpetual grow in and outdoors.

My room currently only has:
AgroMax original stacker tent (basically a 3x3x2.5 cube)
4' 6-lamp HO T5 (that i've had to stuff into the tent as best I could)
2' 2-lamp HO T5 (not using)
1000w digital HPS/MH Lamp (with adjustable power)- I have hanging from ceiling over the tent. It is a cooltube design with supply/exhaust to outside the house using 6" fan/ducting.
I'm using an AutoPot 4-pot system with a 50% cocotek/perlite mix and about an inch of clay rock ball in the bottom of each AutoPot and will be feeding GH Flora Series Nutrients

I have a couple of aquarium air pumps and thinking about putting air stones into the bottom of my AutoPots to provide air to the roots (AutoPot sells Aqua Domes or Air Domes, but think this will work too?)

I also have a TON of Fire Retardant Heavy Duty wrapping used in scaffolding or other similar work that would probably make for an excellent tent material. But it is white and not sure how lightproof it would be...

I don't even know all of the components of a room that would be required for me to grow year round other than light and water, let alone how to set a room up to efficiently do it easily and reliably. In fact, I would like nothing more than to meet someone locally who knows what they are doing to give me a hand with this project rather than suffering through the trial and error mistakes I know are coming thanks to my OCD and accompanying anxiety. I learn well by OJT... Because of the OCD and stuff, I also need to consider making this operation as understandable for me as possible. Once setup, I want to be able to pretty much be able to just follow a plan and pattern to keep things going and learn from over time while I gain confidence that I'm not going to kill everything I touch.

I live in the DC area, so I need a good resource like this one for every aspect of the project from setup to harvest. It is all new to me other than a few rough practice grows and allowed me to harvest some seed to practice with so I can start growing strains that work best for OCD, PTSD, Anxiety, etc. I would welcome comments and suggestions on achieving my goals.

• Like 2

Hi there @Zrex  best of luck 

there’s a great deal of knowledge here and experience 

environment ,lighting,air flow ,soil, temps, damn there’s a lot of variables   The first thing I did was read everything this one book was very helpful it gave me the basics to build my first room then I landed here some how and found so much helpful info and fellow growers 

I’ve grown in soil for years but I just started a octopots grow for the first time  so this will be fun ! 

This place is full of ideas and help 

Peace 

paps 

8036D1EB-66EC-44D3-9625-E04DC78E269B.jpeg

Edited by Papalag
  • Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure I saw this very same book when I was in high school. If it is still being recommended today that's enough of an endorsement for me! I will find myself a copy.

• Like 2

Here are some new images of my growroom and what I have to work with to get to a perpetual grow situation for myself indoor and outdoor. I believe I have enough room in here if I rearrange next grow by putting this small tent off to the side and a larger tent where the small one is now.

I bought a copy of the horticulture book @Papalag recommended (9.99 on amazon kindle) and have started reading. Now that I'm looking at retirement, I'm looking forward to having the time for it. Also glad I have a few days to read up before I am ready to transplant.

IMG_0208-800x600.JPG

IMG_0209-800x600.JPG

IMG_0210-800x600.JPG

IMG_0211-800x600.JPG

IMG_0212-800x600.JPG

IMG_0213-800x600.JPG

IMG_0214-800x600.JPG

• Like 3

@Zrex good luck bro 

The book will answer a great deal of questions I found it helpful with room design and air flow 

it also has a section on plant disease and remedies which is a must have around but know with the internet just google it lol  

i find this tent great for young plants and clones how big will your flowering area be ? 

5 minutes ago, Papalag said:

@Zrex good luck bro 

The book will answer a great deal of questions I found it helpful with room design and air flow 

it also has a section on plant disease and remedies which is a must have around but know with the internet just google it lol  

i find this tent great for young plants and clones how big will your flowering area be ? 

In the 1st pic, the space the tent is in now stretches the length of the room like a hallway, giving me a space about 5' wide, 15' long and 8' high- and still enough room to put this small tent under the slope of the roof along the right side of the room. I only plan to flower indoors when I need to. I am hoping my timing will work out this grow so that by the time I am ready to take clones and transplant them, I can finish these outdoors. But I will probably still flower some clones indoors this time to practice with.

• Like 2

Hey Zrex,

Very nice set up you have going on.

Once upon a time, I did a bunch of work down in the DC area. I did keep an apartment down there, down past Pentagon, Rive Place, or something like that. 

I'm about 70 miles or so from DC. 

Anyway man, nice set up, and I did comment in your other thread also.

best to ya!

• Like 2

The height of Your tent could be problematic.

A big HID light needs to be well above your plants to prevent burning them.

• Like 3

it's from my understanding they're will be no tent in flower just light hanging in the room?

my advice is even though you have a cool tube it is a good idea to have a fan between your light and plant to keep everything extra cool and moving. with a 1000 watts I wouldn't dare  putting it closer than 32+ inches from the tops at all time. But I don't know cause I only used 600 :P. Don't know if you plan on still using this area without a tent for flower?? lights would be an issue when on. 

Also very important that you give 12 hours of total darkness when in flower.

( taking for granted your windows are well sealed from any natural light) so that would be an issue if you plan on having to work in the room or whatever  during darkness. also keep in the mind the light from the veg t5 should not transmit light when the flowering plants are in darkness stage.)

did you think of carbon filter/intake fan?

if you have questions feel free to hit me if you want too

cheers! :verrygood 

• Like 1

if you really want to go veg n flower in open room put a wall on the right, using the slanted lower part to veg and left to flower, having a wall (maybe those bookcases will even work) will still block the light 

Nice starter space, but just wondering about a couple of things:

Autopots grow big plants, so your ceiling height is going to max out very fast!

1000 W in that space is going to get very hot, and would also need distance between bulb and canopy. Def have to dial down the Watts.

My first grow was before tents were popular. I cordoned off an area of my room with panda film (reflective, black outside white inside), about 5' X 5'.

Just taped it to the ceiling and let it hang down. 

You can cover serious floor space with a 1000 W, but even just 4'x4' would be great. (Anything less, like 3'x3' may need to turn down the Watts.)

All the best, ZRex! You're going to grow some beauties!!!

• Like 1

Folks, I'm sorry for taking so long to respond to some of the responses- but I have been listening and making improvements since making this thread. Lots of changes, but believe to have it all worked out now. I have 4 "Cherry Wine" females in the big tent that have already started to bud up nicely and a few others I started from seed that will go out to my garden to replace the ones i've lost for various reasons (rabbits & horses included). Running my 1000w lamp at 50% and the temp stays in the 70's unless i'm in the room long. The exhaust fan doesn't need to come on... Even with the T5's running. Sweet!

IMG_0331.JPG

• Like 1