•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

I have germinated some Jackberry and Herebei seeds in the Burpee XL starter kit that will eventually be transplanted into 4 gallon AutoPots. AutoPot says I should not transplant into the AutoPots until I have at least 3 nodes, so my question is as long the sprouts are getting fed properly, will I be able to continue growing them that long in the Burpee starter pots? Thanks

IMG_0216-800x600.JPG

• Like 1

Hey Z, what usually happens they will get spindly well before 5-6 points.

I've always had to up pot them from the trays myself maybe others will have other info for you man. 

You can clone with many different mediums, perlite usually a fine course works a treat.

Vermiculite is great but holds water, which can help us as long as we know that.

Water is a medium as you said in the other thread your considering a ez cloner.

The peat pucks are fine also.

I've even used lava rock and perlite after I crushed up the LR into finer pieces. Now you can find LR is all shapes and sizes.

Best to ya.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Zrex said:

I have germinated some Jackberry and Herebei seeds in the Burpee XL starter kit that will eventually be transplanted into 4 gallon AutoPots. AutoPot says I should not transplant into the AutoPots until I have at least 3 nodes, so my question is as long the sprouts are getting fed properly, will I be able to continue growing them that long in the Burpee starter pots? Thanks

IMG_0216-800x600.JPG

when I clone or start seedlings I use the RAPID ROOTERS PLUGS..after they have their first set of true leaves I transfer them into a solo cup/

n sure to have a couple holes in the bottom...

water in lightly..i use my regular grow soil at this point...

don't fill the solo full of dirt..put your seedling on top of an inch of soil..set the plant down in it and put dirt all the way to the  first set of true leaves..this will usually get u to the 4 gal u are going to use...good luck my fellow soldier ...I also live in the state of Va.

good luck trooper..

• Like 1

Let the roots lead the way.

When you have good root growth you can transplant into a bigger container but not too big a container or it can cause media issues and even slow growth.  Media and root environment thing.

Up potting is good and let root growth lead the way.

Don't get to the rootbound stage.  Generically about 7 days to 1.5-2 weeks from sprout with 1 inch starting media they are ready to transplant into next container size.

• Like 5

Thanks for the advice on what size pot to use to get my seedlings to preflower stage for sexing. 

I am leaning toward 1 gallon (Melonfarm) grow bags as my option for transplanting over a 2 gallon bag using the following reasoning. Please let me know if you believe this would be an ill advised approach in your opinion.

The grow bible recommended to me suggests a gallon for each month the plant will be in the pot and that it should take 4-6 weeks for a plant in veg to reach preflower so a determination on their sex can be made. This suggests a pot size of 1 to 2 gallons. Given that I am growing in a very light medium of coco and perlite for the roots to grow in and they should be transitioning energy to leaf production, by using the 1 gallon pot the roots hopefully will not become overly stressed in the smaller pot should they take a little longer to preflower [although I seem to be in the sweet zone it recommends to encourage females] which will make it much easier to then transplant the females I want to keep as mothers in my 3.9 gallon Autopot's. Considering that I have 16 seedlings in a 3x3 space, I need all the room I can get to ensure I get 4 of the healthiest females I can get out of them. A 2 gallon pot would diminish that choice by half.

But we're only talking a $2.00 difference in the cost of the bags in the long run. So if in the end I am better off for a reason I have yet to understand, I am happy to go learn from the groups wisdom and get the bigger bags because it looks like I should order them now! In the past 24-48 hours, they've started making noticeable changes in growth although that isn't saying much at this stage...

I have also made a roughly 50/50 mix of cocotek and perlite in the photo below. It's the fist time I've made a mix like this but it feels really moist (not wet) very light and fluffy. Very nice to the touch actually... So I think it is ready to go. But I also plan to mix up week 2 of the GH Flora nutrients and pour into this mix and give it a good mixing again before potting to get the seedlings started. Afterward, I will need to begin feeding them from above for the next 4-6 weeks before I can sex and get them into the Autopots where they will need to be fed another 10 days from above before I can start the Autopots.

It's starting to get fun!

IMG_0227-640x480.JPG

IMG_0228-640x480.JPG

• Like 1

Hey Zrex, when trying to determine the correct pot size you should consider the watering frequency.

I've found that 3-4 days between watering is a good cycle to maintain. Longer periods mean wetter dirt that is not conducive to good root growth or overall plant health. Shorter periods give less time for nutrient uptake and may leave more nute residue in the soil.

New sprouts do not need to be fed for several weeks providing the medium they are in is of good quality. I start with a 16 oz. paper cup for seeds. After 10 - 14 days I up-pot to 1 gallon pots. This fresh medium will continue to feed the sprout until the next up-pot, usually in about 2 weeks when they go into 3 gallon pots. Again the fresh medium will be all the sprout needs for another 2 weeks or so when I up-pot to 5 gallon pot. This sequence keeps the plants well fed and maintains a 3-4 day watering cycle.

I don't start adding nutes until after 2 weeks in the 5 gallon pot so the plant is around 7-8 weeks old. This method yields happy, healthy plants that have not been stressed by too many nutes and who's soil/medium is fresh and fertile.

Hope that helps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1