•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Zrex

Timing a grow: Transplanting outdoors

I have some Jackberry and Herebei sprouts that are a few days old growing in Burpee XL starters. I have some questions that I cannot find answers to...

1. What size pot would be large enough for them until I can determine their sex? I'm assuming these starter pots will be too small even if they're fed properly? I only have 4 Autopot's that I want to reserve for mothers that I plan to take clones from to transplant outside later, which leads to my next question.

2. How do you properly time the transition from indoor to outdoor? I know I have room inside to grow them, but I need to figure out when it is best to take the clones, give them time to give firmly established (I was planning to get an Ez-Cloner) in my tent, and put them outdoors to finish out. Can someone please give me a hand to understand how to do that with these strains? I'm beginning to think I wouldn't be able to take clones until like August and put them out in September? That's the closest I can estimate... This would mean my mothers will have been in veg for 6 months by then.

:oeps

Hey Zrex, I myself do not keep mother plants, nor know know much about AutoPots.

What I do is go from a sprouted seedling, into a 4" or 6" pot and I like to bury mine right up to the leaves, as all that spindly stalk will root for ya. I do not feed a seedling until it has at least 5-6 set of pointed leaves poking out, and then just a whisper.

In about a month she will need to go into a 1 gallon pot, I myself buy white pots whenever I can, probably silly, but I do.

In about a month after up potting to 1 g, you should start to see sex of the plants.There are many diagrams of genitalia you can find on the net, to identify our fav's.

Once sex is known, take your clones. I find a heat mat and controller (set around 80F), a clone tray and tall dome cover with vents is a great helper for cloning.

It is between 5-14 days usually for roots to show. I use a weak wee cfl to root mine for a light source, 24/0 

Once rooted, feed them, and prepare them to be AutoPotSoldiers!!

best to ya.

• Thanks 1

Not sure why you would wait until August. I think I remember you saying you are in the D.C. area and have room for an outdoor grow.  I'd plan on having them outside after your last freeze, like June 1st. 

Cut the clones and get them rooted around mid April. Veg them indoors until the weather is warm enough. When you are ready to move them out you have to get them used to the sun. Take them outside for a few ours a day in the morning extending their time in direct sun a little at a time. After a week or so, they should be ready to stay outside. Put them in a spot to get a good 8+ hours of direct sun. If you have to choose between a spot with morning or afternoon sun, go with morning. Also, choose a spot with minimum artificial light at night.  Avoid street light, porch light etc. 

Moving from indoors 18 hours of light, to outdoor the plants may start to flower, but don't worry they will reveg. June 1st in DC you will have over 14 hours of sun, so don't sweat it. You won't have 12 hours of dark until mid September, keep in mind flowering times for your strain. Be prepared to protect your girls when the weather starts getting cold again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2019 at 8:22 AM, webeblzr said:

Hey Zrex, I myself do not keep mother plants, nor know know much about AutoPots.

What I do is go from a sprouted seedling, into a 4" or 6" pot and I like to bury mine right up to the leaves, as all that spindly stalk will root for ya. I do not feed a seedling until it has at least 5-6 set of pointed leaves poking out, and then just a whisper.

In about a month she will need to go into a 1 gallon pot, I myself buy white pots whenever I can, probably silly, but I do.

In about a month after up potting to 1 g, you should start to see sex of the plants.There are many diagrams of genitalia you can find on the net, to identify our fav's.

Once sex is known, take your clones. I find a heat mat and controller (set around 80F), a clone tray and tall dome cover with vents is a great helper for cloning.

It is between 5-14 days usually for roots to show. I use a weak wee cfl to root mine for a light source, 24/0 

Once rooted, feed them, and prepare them to be AutoPotSoldiers!!

best to ya.

Just got around to reading this and it makes me feel much better about my decisions moving forward.

• Like 1