•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Alright everyone. When do you start taking sample buds to test for effect on a strain new to you? For example, growing an 8-9 week strain, do you sample at week 6 and then at 7, week 7 and 8, or not at all. 

I've been curious about his lately, and since I have Black Afghani sitting at 5+ weeks I figure I would ask. Thanks for any input.

To be clear, I am not talking about trichs being clear, amber, etc. Specifically testing for effect.

33 minutes ago, Shoeless said:

Alright everyone. When do you start taking sample buds to test for effect on a strain new to you? For example, growing an 8-9 week strain, do you sample at week 6 and then at 7, week 7 and 8, or not at all. 

I've been curious about his lately, and since I have Black Afghani sitting at 5+ weeks I figure I would ask. Thanks for any input.

To be clear, I am not talking about trichs being clear, amber, etc. Specifically testing for effect.

Wait tell you see mostly milky trichomes, maybe a few amber before you sample, no use to test a bud with no THC yet. On an 8 to 9 week strain I wouldn't even think about it before 8 weeks, unless it looks to be finishing / mostly red hairs, then check the trich's they tell all. So what your testing for is the high in relationship to the milky vs amber ratio. As always this is just my humble opinion.

Baq

• Like 4

I don't really test during flower for the perfect time, though I may pop off a couple of popcorn buds to check the strain out. I do separate the lower smaller buds when I harvest and store them in a separate jar. This way, if the lower, less developed buds seem to give a better high, I know I can harvest that strain a little earlier next run. So far, I haven't noticed a great deal of difference, guess maybe my method sucks....:cry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wait till the beginning of the 8 th week on  a 8- 9 week strain 

on my chuckys bride I have clipped a few at 7.5 weeks And on some early strains like c99 

• Like 4

No testing for me. Mostly outdoor guerrilla experience previous to the last year so weather largely determined my fate as I live in a northern clime. No testing indoors either as I'm just waiting for all the signs to line up and checking the wonders of controlled clime.

• Like 2

Depends how much weed I have left haha. I'm usually pretty good at resisting, probably only have a tester within a week of her being ready. Always nice to clip some a bit early so I've got something to smoke on while trimming too.  

I guess I'm like most everyone else.... I'll go with Baq and his explanation. I have always clipped and tested early, Sort of like when I brewed beer. I tasted it at every phase.. just to get a feel for things.

But I found that taking buds too early is almost a waste. Like Baq said, the THC just won't be there yet normally. I took some nice buds off of my "tree" pheno early and they are still in the bag in my desk drawer. Although they were looking boss from the pic, they had no power that early. 

So, I still do pinch a bud early though just to monitor how it progresses. Maybe start taking them for testing just as they buds start to show cloudy. Then monitor it closely and test every few days or a week depending how fast things are changing. That might give you an idea of the sweet spot once they have developed enough. I've tended to take mine a little early on some strains. My outside run all got more amber than I normally prefer but it's variable. I DO like having some good amber triched buds for when I want the hammer for sleep or deep relaxation.

peace

• Like 1

I have learned I cannot trust myself as Harvest time nears.....................so, I came up with a plan on my last run here. I run in Octopot's, they are 2 foot square at the base.

I take 2 or 3 plants, and run them in tiny 2 inch by 2 inch pots, on top of the Octo's.  Water them every 3 days, takes a minute to do. They finish a good 2 weeks before the rest do, because of that smaller pot they start flowering very quickly. The 3 I had went into full on flower production maybe 6 or 7 days into the flip......................the Sannies Jack took 5 plus weeks before she started building bud.

The 3 in this run produced 2.5 z's of nice bud.......................keeps me from even touching the crop until it is ready. If I did NOT have those 3 plants, everyone in the Octopot's would have been "picked off of"..................

So, even though my run is still going, I have a big ole jar of these to keep me until they are ready..................:)(Goji x Holy Grail Kush, and it is jummy)

Peace,

Jet

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00002.JPG

Complete with cat hair...................HOW does this shit get EVERYWHERE...........................ARGH....................lol

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, gardenartus said:

Well that is very interesting, you do some cool things with the Octopot

If you go back through my pics in this thread, you will see lots of yellow n bad leaf's, they were ALL off of the 3 lil plants. As with the big ones, I gave them virtually no care, and just "stuffed" them up into the plant in the Octopot they were sitting on...........lol. As you see, they did just fine, and give me 2.5 ounces of breathing room.............:)

• Like 1

Those are some fine looking buds for "oh by the way" weed.

It is amazing how cat hair gets everywhere. Everyday I have to clean cat hair from my rolling tray, and I store it in this

20190223_133725.thumb.jpg.72cc46539259893023fb9a58c355edd0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

you store the cat hair huh :lol::rofl;)

hairs argh dont get me started, after hepa filters on the intake, i STILL find hair that get sucked into the room when i open the door, i need a postive pressure room grrrr

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shoeless said:

Those are some fine looking buds for "oh by the way" weed.

It is amazing how cat hair gets everywhere. Everyday I have to clean cat hair from my rolling tray, and I store it in this

20190223_133725.thumb.jpg.72cc46539259893023fb9a58c355edd0.jpg

I have a 25 year old white long haired cat.............................his hair is everywhere..................I take clothes out of my dryer, they have his hair on them.

The 3 lil ones were Goji OG.............NEVER oh by the way Bud.......................probably my favorite..................just oh by the way growing...................lol.

The 3 returned me 2.5 Z's of great Bud................as Goji ALWAYS does..............................

• Like 2

oh yes, laundry comes out with hairs included??!??! 

clean your dryer filter a lot when you have cats btw, fire hazzard :o

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JetDro said:

The 3 lil ones were Goji OG.............NEVER oh by the way Bud.......................probably my favorite..................just oh by the way growing...................lol.

The 3 returned me 2.5 Z's of great Bud................as Goji ALWAYS does..............................

And they were in 2 x2 inch pots? damn. Do you let them root down into the ocotpot soil? Do you make it a one cola thing? The buds sure look fine.

peace

2x2 little white plastic pots. They were not into the res of the Octo, just sitting on top for a little spot in the SUN.

I make water/nutes in 30 gallon can, and I just fed these 3 out of that can, by hand, 2 times a week. So they got food at EVERY watering..........lol.

After a month they didnt much care for it, and since I wasnt paying attention, I did not notice the leaf burn. When I saw it, and the dying leaf's........I put them on straight water for the last 3 or 4 weeks. They rebounded just fine, but lost almost all their fan leaf's.  They were never topped, and had always been in that 2x2 pot. They all 3 grew identical, about 3 foot tall, with big top buds, and pretty good middle buds too................NOTHING on bottom 18 inch of the plant but stalk however.

They hung for 7 days, then into a paper bag for 2 days open, then 1 day bag closed.............then into jar's. Been in jar just a few days, and it is, as Goji always has for me, ALREADY

very good tasting/smelling smoke.  Super potent, very LOUD taste. A joint will only "work" till about 1/2 way through it.............then it is a large resin roach................

I can tell a bit of difference in the taste/smell/flavor of these 3 ladies..............compared to my last run of it....................but NOT in the power level. Even though the plants were pretty "dry" and crispy when pulled down, the Goji HAMMER is still in these.  The fully filled out big Goji's ought to be excellent, as they have 3 or 4 times the frost on them that these 3 did.

The Bud on the right, the lighter green one, was 1 of the 3 in the tiny pot's. That is her top Bud.........all 3 were exactly the same. Made nice Buds for such small ladies.

DSC00015.thumb.jpg.e6864e22adc4f730aed2c76eca9d6640.jpg

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Shoeless said:

Definitely getting the most out of your space.

Well, maybe not this run. Last run, when I paid attention, I got 1.1 gram/watt..................this will NOT be near that, but maybe like .75 /watt or so.......still pretty good for the amount of time invested, lol . Next round will be different......................

CCK Pheno 1 .........tall, turning beautiful colors, rock hard buds, going to yield decent I think.............Coming down in 2 more days...............:)

DSC00004.JPG

DSC00008.JPG

DSC00012.JPG

• Like 5

Looking good, Jet. Busted all of my likes. That's pretty cool with the little pots. I like that idea. I've done it with 1 gallon pots and you're right, they finish a little sooner. I'll have to try some super small ones like that. 

• Like 2

On 2/15/2019 at 2:41 PM, Shoeless said:

you only do that based o the type of high u expect as well as would like to encourage. so, no use trying to test anything early. it's like testing a puppy in the pit = makes no sinse. so your testing starts within the harvest windows that will likely give u the smoke u want. a little before, and a little after. that will change as your personal feedback weighs in. imho

• Thanks 1