•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Mr Goodfellow

The official Repository of Tips, Tricks, and Ideas for the Contemporary Ghetto Grower

Well, leave 'em if you got 'em. Use it to share with others and help get ideas on solving your own problem.... 

Peace

edit: I'll be back to post my own current gadget try, a DIY Octopot.... sort of/ kind of.. lol.. I could use some ideas. I'm close. Gotta run now but will post my stuff when I get back. I wanted to get a separate thread going since we had hijacked Mr. Dirt's grow diary... :blush:

here is a sneak at what I started... I have to work out some issues.... it's the OctoBucket... lolIMG_1154.thumb.jpg.2a73aa7fa528622a288283730ad22c3e.jpg

• Like 5

I have 22 Octo's. In a less than  coherent moment last year, while cleaning out my sheds, I threw away all but 9 of the net pots.........................:evil: Yup, gone..............what a dumb ass I am!

I have plenty of res's and top piece's, but no net pots for them, or an extra sleeve(YUP, tossed them too evidentially , ARGH!!!)(actually MIGHT have an extra sleeve too)

I would gladly send you a system, minus the net pot and fabric pot..................if you want to order a net pot and sleeve from Octo people?????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sure I could take you up ion that. I don't mind paying for it when I get cash again. No hurry here. I got excited when they went on sale but just not a good month. That's why I'm grasping at straws to try to build one.

So, is the net pot the wire part? And the sleeve is the fabric pot? That's the part I have to figure how to place on top of a bucket. I think I can do it, but with them on sale for $52 (not sure if it's still going, now) it's hard to beat that. 

My issue is that I'm constraining myself to the plastic molded parts that are available to me. I'm close, so I just have to get a fabric pot incorporated into the top part. I think I could use the bottom third of a bucket to hold the felt pot and still fit into the plastic adapter.... just thinking out loud. I'll try and post the other pics in a while. Not much to it really. 

I gotta go measure the bottom of all the felt pots I have to see if one will already fit the bottom of the bucket. Then, I just cut a hole in the bottom of the bucket leaving a lip for the post to sit on. Then cut a hole in the felt pot to get the plastic basket to stick through.... feasible.. but.... back in a bit...

peace

• Like 1

Go to the Octo site, see if you can swing 1 net pot, and 1 grow sleeve.....................you know, for a $$$ you can afford.

If you can, I will send you a res. You may have 2 if you want, I will never use 22 again!!!  So buy 2 if your $$$$ is right.

You DO NOT need to pay me back for the kit, THIS IS what friends do for other friends amigo!

Peace,

Jet

• Like 2

Yes, the net pot is what sits in the bottom of the fabric pot, and locks down into place in the RES.  Keeps the dirt out of Res, but lets the roots get into res.

YES, the grow sleeve is the soft fabric pot the dirt goes into .

I have the res for you, but accidentally threw out 13 of the net pot's........................had I not done that, I would send you a whole unit, but I only have 9 now that I chuncked the others.

Those 9, as you know, are plumb full up, lol..............with lil ones holding behind them.

I COULD NOT find a net pot here locally that would work in the res. He has those made for him, believe it is his "own" pot.

I will gladly send you one....................you know, for an oz of FPB's............................LOL................LOL......................just kidding.........................you are welcome to 1 or 2 of them, just let me know before driving yourself crazy re inventing the wheel......................:)

• Like 3

Yeah man, we could make that happen! Forgot I had bartering power. They sell a 6 pack for $114.. I got excited when I saw the sleeves alone for $19. I thought the grids would be cheaper. Not sure why the big jump in $$$. I'll have to look and see if that includes the wicking pot. Still, for 6 grid and sleeve... I could make it happen. maybe in a couple of weeks would be better. I could make the payment sooner. .... we'll talk! Thanks! peace

• Like 1

Looks good MrG. I wanna see it grow a plant bro. And Jets offer is just killer. :tu  

From all the octo videos I've looked at, it appears to me the sleeves are made from landscaping fabric. But picking up a few off the site is probably the best bet. Then if needed, you can attempt to make your own using an original for a template.

I think it will work fine, but I'll have to go back to the other lid/adapter ring to let the pot sit down on the bottom. I'll have to feed it more often maybe and might not be able to tell as well from the sight glass/fill tube. Then I either need to drill holes in the dirt bucket or find a felt pot that will just fit inside the bucket, and then I could cut the top half off so the felt pot could exchange O2 better. 

Like I said earlier, I bet it'll grow a tomato plant or something. Pot will be the test though!

peace

Here are the other pics but I'll take a few more tomorrow to explain it better. I still have to do some adjustments.

This the reservoir and it is a 3 gallon bucket.

IMG_1159.thumb.jpg.4fb149bde5ebf5e5a87a40a9ac9e8f87.jpg

The tube is the filling port and is supposed to be a sight glass to show when it's time for water. The small hole near the top is the overfill drain. I think it's in the wrong place now as I'll have to get the dirt pot farther down in the reservoir so it will wick. 

IMG_1158.thumb.jpg.1c7e2886e001e26fb00ff971ff11bc18.jpg

This is the bottom of the dirt bucket. The basket is made into the lid for hydro. So I cut it out, and cut out the bottom of the pot and relocated the basket to the bottom.

IMG_1155.thumb.jpg.fad1d83926a398fd8a62b76d409797a4.jpg

The dirt bucket is a 6 gallon bucket.

IMG_1156.thumb.jpg.486b896bb76c4192e37d782498e765c1.jpg

something came up and I gotta leave it for now.. I'll show the other pics tomorrow.

peace

mrG

• Like 3

@Mr Goodfellow that will work, but might be a little tall for indoors and would also have to be stabilized from tipping over. Of course you've had my brain churning for 2 days with your project and I've had an Epiphany regarding using air pots and tubs, which I have a bunch that we can use and I think I have it figured out. I'll get back with you once I piece one together.

FYI, my ETA for Colorado Springs is April 3rd. I'm really stoked, I finalized with the friend I'm renting from how much I would pay monthly and he ask me what I could afford, told him what I pay here and he's charging me $150 less, shit that means I don't have to touch my reserves and can keep building them up, takes the stress out of the move!:D

Baq

• Like 3

Cool deal man. My birthday is 4/20, lol. Probably more of a big deal up around the Springs, than where I live.. 420 holiday every day here ha.... I think the Springs has a big festival. Sometimes I go out for a treat or special at the shops. They get a kick out of my 4/20 birthday. 

If I put the pot farther down with the other adapter it's not so top heavy but that crossed my mind first. The other thing is I could fill the 6 gallon with rocks up to where I need it anyway and it would anchor it better... still not ideal. If you could find the right container the size and shape of the Octo you could make it work better. I just can't think of where you could find something like that. This will still make a cool planter for a vegatable if not weed. 

I'll try and post more tomorrow with a couple of ideas maybe, but for now, I gotta eat something and chill down. Glad to hear the trip is shaping up! Let me know if there is anything I might could do to help.

peace

mrG

Anybody else wanna show off their GADGETS??  I know we have some serious DIY people here. Got any cool hacks others would dig? Mine was just to get a thread started and get out of another one. 

My bucket is just a glorified version of what's already out there on You Tube as self watering pots... The physics are a little different for the 2 sizes of Octos.. the 3 gal has a smaller res. I think that volume and possibly shape are critical.. I could do the math easy enough with dimensions... soon enough.

THE THREAD IS OPEN TO EVERYBODY TO ADD YOUR IDEAS AND GROW HACKS! 

peace

mrG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Goodfellow said:

Cool deal man. My birthday is 4/20, lol. Probably more of a big deal up around the Springs, than where I live.. 420 holiday every day here ha.... I think the Springs has a big festival. Sometimes I go out for a treat or special at the shops. They get a kick out of my 4/20 birthday. 

If I put the pot farther down with the other adapter it's not so top heavy but that crossed my mind first. The other thing is I could fill the 6 gallon with rocks up to where I need it anyway and it would anchor it better... still not ideal. If you could find the right container the size and shape of the Octo you could make it work better. I just can't think of where you could find something like that. This will still make a cool planter for a vegatable if not weed. 

I'll try and post more tomorrow with a couple of ideas maybe, but for now, I gotta eat something and chill down. Glad to hear the trip is shaping up! Let me know if there is anything I might could do to help.

peace

mrG

Yep, think tub not bucket. With the bucket I would just stick with the simple one like in the YouTube I posted to use for outdoors and Tomato's, don't over complicate it, you can only go so far with the bucket system. Hint: busing tubs. I use them to set  my potted clones in till transplant and I've been thinking of turning some into grow tubs like I've seen Sannie use, clones will grow more roots horizontally over a vertical tap, so I while I was cleaning my tubs to pack a well fuck moment hit me, think about it, I got the water level indicator figured out too. They come in different depth's ;)

Thanks for the offer, I'm really blessed with real friends and family, my best fishing buddy is going to help me move and stay a few days to check out fishing spots and watch the NCAA Tourney games before he heads back. We're leaving on the first and stopping for two nights in St. Louis at my sisters, will give me a chance to spend time with her and see my Nephews on the way out. It's starting to hit me and I'm getting excited.

Baq

• Like 3

Just read the first couple of sentences and yep, sounds like you have it.. I'll read it in the AM. I got two things from it real quick, and yep... lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, baqualin said:

Yep, think tub not bucket. With the bucket I would just stick with the simple one like in the YouTube I posted to use for outdoors and Tomato's, don't over complicate it, you can only go so far with the bucket system. Hint: busing tubs. I use them to set  my potted clones in till transplant and I've been thinking of turning some into grow tubs like I've seen Sannie use, clones will grow more roots horizontally over a vertical tap, so I while I was cleaning my tubs to pack a well fuck moment hit me, think about it, I got the water level indicator figured out too. They come in different depth's ;)

Thanks for the offer, I'm really blessed with real friends and family, my best fishing buddy is going to help me move and stay a few days to check out fishing spots and watch the NCAA Tourney games before he heads back. We're leaving on the first and stopping for two nights in St. Louis at my sisters, will give me a chance to spend time with her and see my Nephews on the way out. It's starting to hit me and I'm getting excited.

Baq

Yeah, you're geting real close... Damn. spring is almost here... Kentucky has a real shot at the tourney this year, huh? April is a cool time and can be fickle but it should be mostly nice by then. Usually get a late snow sometime in the month but not guaranteed. 

peace

1 hour ago, Mr Goodfellow said:

Yeah, you're geting real close... Damn. spring is almost here... Kentucky has a real shot at the tourney this year, huh? April is a cool time and can be fickle but it should be mostly nice by then. Usually get a late snow sometime in the month but not guaranteed. 

peace

Yep, in basketball we have a shot every year, it's expected, if we don't make it to the final 4 it's a bad season.

The weather seems to be pretty much the same as here except for the rain, we usually get a late snow also. I haven't been so excited in years, I feel like a kid again!

Baq 

• Like 1

The cool thing, for me, was that I did too, and I still do!!!! I love it out here. You'll still feel like a kid a year from when you first get here... I still pinch myself somedays.. 

I'll be rooting for the SEC if they get there. I have to start paying attention. 

peace

49 minutes ago, Mr Goodfellow said:

The cool thing, for me, was that I did too, and I still do!!!! I love it out here. You'll still feel like a kid a year from when you first get here... I still pinch myself somedays.. 

I'll be rooting for the SEC if they get there. I have to start paying attention. 

peace

Awesome, You'll have to start paying attention when i get out there, both Football and Basketball, SEC rules!! I might even get you to wear some Blue!:)

Baq

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Goodfellow said:

Huh?... I was already picking out some crimson and gray shirts for you. 

:evil:

Roll Tide Roll!!  lol

I would love one! Big Alabama fan, when they're not playing the Cats!

276485044_DeadUKLogo.jpg.ef27356640c681430ee06e0e77f961ab.jpg

17 minutes ago, Mr Goodfellow said:

I hear you bro, and we suck so bad at BBall that I'd gladly wear a blue jersey! lol.

peace

What size you wear?

• Like 1

Ah hell, I was just kidding. I couldn't reciprocate atm. I don't even have any good Bama gear. A hat and one t-shirt if I recall. lol. But, if you have connections, L-XL heh. 

I really want to go back home to Bama to visit this year if possible. I probably need to bring back some schwag. My brother is a die hard Auburn fan so no help from him. A good buddy of mine is an old time ticket holder and die hard to the death Bama fan. He may know where to get good stuff.

You'll be like me, you'll finally have a pro football/baseball team to root for. Your state is just like Bama; no pro teams. It's fun out here sports wise as people are form all over so seems like you always find somebody that also roots for your old team. Broncos fans are rabid and that's fun. Rockies baseball is cool, too. I got to go to a game last year and they have a beautiful stadium. 

But, you won't have to lose your allegiance to your home teams here. Everybody gets it! 

peace

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Goodfellow said:

Ah hell, I was just kidding. I couldn't reciprocate atm. I don't even have any good Bama gear. A hat and one t-shirt if I recall. lol. But, if you have connections, L-XL heh. 

I really want to go back home to Bama to visit this year if possible. I probably need to bring back some schwag. My brother is a die hard Auburn fan so no help from him. A good buddy of mine is an old time ticket holder and die hard to the death Bama fan. He may know where to get good stuff.

You'll be like me, you'll finally have a pro football/baseball team to root for. Your state is just like Bama; no pro teams. It's fun out here sports wise as people are form all over so seems like you always find somebody that also roots for your old team. Broncos fans are rabid and that's fun. Rockies baseball is cool, too. I got to go to a game last year and they have a beautiful stadium. 

But, you won't have to lose your allegiance to your home teams here. Everybody gets it! 

peace

No need to reciprocate, I'll pick you up one and grab me a Bama shirt here, stores carry all the SEC stuff here in Lexington.

Baq

• Like 1