•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Toker

Any Gardeners?

1 hour ago, Hempyfan said:

Acid rain was no longer a significant issue by 90.

It is insects and disease that killed those trees.

I remember acid rain well.  I saw it greatly reduce amphibians on the Susquehanna river.

According to the park service, acid rain and humidity is still a problem in the Smokeys.

What kills trees can be a combination of things. One thing weakens their resistance to a pest or disease that they can normally tolerate.

Those trees died before 90. The Park Service blamed it on coal fired power plants and the smog they produce back then. I moved back there in 95 and they were already gone.

I see now they have more proof that insects finished them off and now the Hemlock trees are dying from another bug.

But the pollution is a huge problem. I would say it's what is making the trees weak and susceptible to the insects. The insects aren't native to the area either. The upper regions of the park are being exposed to such high levels of nitrogen in the soil, that they are getting choked out. The Ozone levels are the highest recoded in the east. The levels on top of the ridges is twice as high as it is in two nearby cities, Knoxville and Atlanta. 

It's not the same place as when I was a kid, and that is really sad. Here's a brief summary of the air quality from the Park Service https://www.nps.gov/grsm/learn/nature/air-quality.htm

peace

Alright!

Artichokes popping.

Now if I can get 3 true leaves quickly and have cool temps to vernalize them I have lots of chokes this year, time will tell

Shoulda order a bit sooner but last frost is April 15 though it can still stay cool till May

More likely it will turn hot hell with  500 percent humidity lol in a week or so and stay like that till October

Aww man I hope not lol

I know it's coming, just want my chokes

KIMG5070.JPG

• Like 3

I love me some artichokes too. I’ve never tried to grow them. I wouldn’t even know where to start. 

I guess a seed, some soil and a cup like the pic...lol

• Haha 1

Yeah, I like eating them, but never tried growing them. How much time to ripen up? Seems like it would be a warm weather plant. 

• Like 1

Well ya got me there, I have to read up on how long

They are a flower so I expect not long, hmm I wonder don't hey flower all at once or all.summer

Awww now I got to go read up some more.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Justcozz said:

I love me some artichokes too. I’ve never tried to grow them. I wouldn’t even know where to start. 

I guess a seed, some soil and a cup like the pic...lol

Yup, I ordered mine from Baker Creek

Pretty simple, if you want chokes the first year tounhave to vernalize them like I mentioned

I know they are heavy feeders.

I check on that to MrG gave me some good bathroom reading to do hehehe

• Like 2

Well here is the line up, I'm giving some away but I still over did it.

I just can't kill em, be so easy

So fucking hot, weeds..why I do it to myself ...lol

Do it every year.

1 eggplant , Banana peppers and watermelon for mom

Perhaps a stand of sweet corn

A small one lol

And I'm done as far as plants are concerned.

Vitiamin D helping,maybe I can use my foot, if not got to learn how to dig left footed hehe

KIMG5071.JPG

• Like 5

Just got my first soybean harvest, 3 pods :rofl will be germing those beans to theyll be ready when the sun arives next month, def gotta get more into beans 

will be replacing my 2m x 30cm regular old strawberry bed with new fancy colorful ones, that means i have about 50 strawberry rootstocks i can pot up and leave around town on parkbenches B) free food! 

• Like 2

My rows are 30" long

I have 2 rows of kennybacks potatoes

I row onions mixed..white and red

I row romane lettuce to b thinned to 12".

2 rows sugar snap peas

6 cabbage plants

about 6  weeks before the tomatoes cukes etc..lol

HAPPY GARDENING AND WISHING EVERYONE A GREAT YEAR

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You're making me hungry for summer already. I have a month or so to go before any planting. Winter is hanging on this year. I'll be starting seeds in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Best 2.69 I spent all weekend.

Does anyone know if these are hybrid's?

I have searched but can't find anything.

Love to be able save my seed.

KIMG5216.JPG

• Like 3

Doesn't say on their site. Says it's a customer favorite, space saving vines. What does hybrid have to do with keeping the seeds? Wish I could grow them here. I haven't looked int it but not sure about it right where I live. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mr Goodfellow said:

Doesn't say on their site. Says it's a customer favorite, space saving vines. What does hybrid have to do with keeping the seeds? Wish I could grow them here. I haven't looked int it but not sure about it right where I live. 

Many hybrid are sterile. Seeds aren’t worth a damn. 

Shouldnt be a problem growing them were you live. I even grew watermelons in NE Wash. just get them in the ground as early as possible. I should have all my veggies seeds in the dirt by the end of the week. Going to be in hell of a summer grow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Man, now I want some watermelon seeds!! I grew them back in Alabama the last year I lived there in 2010 and they grew so fast it was crazy. Just leave out in the dead of sun and they do their stuff. I have a good spot for them already, hmmmm.

• Like 1

Ah, go fig yourself. :D

Those things make an awesome beer. A nice wheat bear with some fig..... mmmmm. 

They grow like weeds down there. Looks that one is a wild one, or just outside of the yard.

• Thanks 1

Nice TOKER, don’t think I’ve ever seen figs grow before. Can’t wait till I have my garden in the ground. I already started 128 garden veggies and will start some more seeds this week. Still have to get the manure in the garden, hope I can get it done in the next week or so. Time is starting to run out, only a little over a month before everything needs to get into the ground. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mr Goodfellow said:

Ah, go fig yourself. :D

Those things make an awesome beer. A nice wheat bear with some fig..... mmmmm. 

They grow like weeds down there. Looks that one is a wild one, or just outside of the yard.

On no its old....Mr William told me it was here when he mived here in thenearly 60s.

Its a daughter branch.

The whole stand is about 30 by 10 .

• Like 1

nice going Toker..

the Sugar Baby watermellons are a a hybrid and don't get very big but as the name implies,,they are sweet..

all my veggies are up..i have finally got to see the green on my potatoes..

I have 8 jalipino peppers ready and 6 hills of cukes and same with summer squash..they all will go in the garden spot next week..oh,i also have five green ale,thanks BB..4 RT and 4 Dawn+ 9 Mohawk seedling that will hit their final home in a week or so..

Lords will I will have a good crop of everything...

will find me some German Johnson tomato plants if at all possible..could not find any  last year...

our frost date is Aprial 15 so get ready OUTSIDE here we come..lol

Take care and enjoy your garden...BTW, I have not posted any pics since the new site was made..never tried ..lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Planted chokes yesterday and cut my cable line.

Dammit

Got the tiller out, we going to turn some dirt aftet work .

Put my boy to work .

Hopefully we will get it done before the cable folks lay yet another line.

• Like 1

I can’t wait, the weather here is telling me to get my veggies in the ground. But I know from the past 20 years, don’t do it. I will be sorry if I do. The garden is almost ready. 

Good luck to everyone growing food this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I may not have much of a garden, but not sure yet. I want top move things around and that's not done yet. I may plant some tomatoes and beans or something. Looks I could get lucky this year with fruit. All of my trees bloomed except the small apple trees, if that's what they are.

I have a sort of young peach, two large full grown apricot trees, and about 5 plum trees. That would be a hoot. I have blackberry bushes that produce well and a Raspberry patch that never produced so I tried a different pruning method my neighbor told me about that she says does fine by her. I have a grape vine that did well last year. 

My focus this year will be on building large amounts of LOS (living organic soil). It'll depend on some things, but I'll start collecting and get it rolling so it will be a perpetual project. I would love to be able to sell it to all of the commercial growers round here. Or, home growers. 

I have a month before I can plant. Any sooner and I have to be ready to cover it all. That's not an option. Don't want to do that. I'll just be growing for myself this year. I have other farmer friends around here and we're always scheming on new ideas. Our Farmer's Market starts up in a month.

I'm thinking of setting up an indoor garden downstairs and do some vertical gardening and maybe edible mushrooms. I have the space and outdoors here is very challenging and a short season. I think I may start building some small scale things to see how it goes. Growing lettuce on a vertical wall is almost a no brainer. I'll be working toward something gardening. Time for me to think out of the box so I might make some money as well. 

image.png.e020e777524dbe6a90a7f5e4e5e84ce1.png

happy grows everybody!

peace

• Like 2