•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Toker

Any Gardeners?

We finally had an 80 degree day yesterday with very clear skies and intense sun. It fried all the new shoots on a whole lot of regular things that come up naturally.  I had some plants going that hadn't been under any lights yet and were a little pale. They got beat up good.. 30 mph winds all day and the relentless sun... damn, it's harsh here..The weather hasn't been stable enough yet to get anything hardened off for outside. I just didn't have an extra light to spare for non flowering plants. 

We go back down to the mid 30's for two days starting tomorrow night. sheesh... My weed crop is stellar, I tell ya, STELLAR.. anybody want to buy any? heh.. I'm gonna make a bunch of weed tea with a bunch today. Starting to practice some natural fertilizing methods... Everything is lush and deep green and at the prime.. I'll put them in a barrel and add water and squish it all up and let it sit in the sun a day.

• Like 2

Man, I couldn't take that right now... Id be like the plants that got singed the other day because the sun was so intense. Looks like we stay on the cooler side of things for the next week or so. Temps start slowly moving back up after a low of 38 tonight and high of 58 tomorrow with 4 days of rain. It's gonna be hard for me when it goes nuclear.

Stay cool bro.

peace

• Thanks 1

We finally got some rain.

It was a deluge lol

Street turned to a pond for an hour or so.

We will be in mid and upper 80s for the next week with more rains, seem the high is abating.

Things do well for now, waitning on parsley to give me seeds.

Melon vines are loving the foxfarm hehe

Figs are abundant both first and the seconds

Fruits.

Im waiting on wild flower seeds to come up

They are work compared to chunking some 

Annual plants from lowes in dirt.

They germ different rates and keeping weeds out while you wait to identity wildflowers

Is always fun but the rewards are well worrh it

If it all comes together.

Been studying my flowers under magnification

And will begin some new crosses this summer.

Several vines show big time vigour and these i will play with.

As the sun rises in the sky approching its high point 22 June i get more and more sun each day.

As of now they get a good 5 hours full sun

Except melons who enjoy 7 now

20190601_081733.jpg

20190601_081746.jpg

20190601_081914.jpg

20190601_081928.jpg

• Like 5

Looks like gooseberries lol what is that? Oh never mind, melons! lol

It will not stop raining here! We need to do the deck and the driveway, cant' do that in the rain lol.

• Like 1

Melons in the top pic, figs on a fig tree in the last ones. :tu lol

We're getting thunderstorms for the next 5-6 days. Hit or miss. A big one just went by to the east for the last two hours. We gott a few sprinkles but supposed to get more as the heat builds up. It's nice to see for us. It's been a normal season this year, which ironically, is abnormal now. Cool, more wet than recent years, very green. I love it. Live is busting all over around here now. I love nature!

peace

• Like 3

I love them dried or fresh 

Preserves can be good if they are not to sweet

Never cared for a mouth full of suger unless it was female hehe

• Like 1

Figs are pretty sugary. Have you ever tried making wine from them. Might be good to mix them with another fruit or berry. 

Im not normally much of a wine person, but do I likes to try me some homemade wine now and then.........

• Like 2

We had a guy in our Homebrew Club that brewed a Wheat bear with Fig. Oh man, was it ever good. They make good preserves, too. VERY sugary, though. It's amazing how well they produce, too. They're all over the Southeast. I'm sure they would make excellent wine. 

I just read some stuff n fig wine. I seems it’s not preferable because of the brown colored wine it produces...

who gives a shit what color it is as long as it’s tastes great. 

• Like 1

Yep, I wondered about that. I can see it, but as sweet as it is, I bet the wine would be nice. I'm like you, I could get past the color. I've had pear wine that was fabulous.

6 hours ago, Justcozz said:

Figs are pretty sugary. Have you ever tried making wine from them. Might be good to mix them with another fruit or berry. 

Im not normally much of a wine person, but do I likes to try me some homemade wine now and then.........

My ancestors will surly roll in their graves

Most wine sucks

Except the good stuff

If you have drank wine and your head felt great

You probably spent money

But even that sucks to homemade wine

Scuppernog wine

There is a man whos family makes it

Has for centuries

Walt Parnham

You dont buy this wine, if your lucky a rich person have you some like me

Its only giving away to specials.....

Only one son gets the recipe

From father to son as it has always been.

No shit Zeus sent hermies to walts to get a few bottles

Necter of the Gods

• Like 2

I’m also thinking fig brandy would be good. Time for Toker to start making some drink.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well the melons do well

That patch is 10 feet wide and i have to shave grass i front of vines 2 times a day now.

Tomatoes do better as sun climbs

Parsely goes to seed

20190608_093935.jpg

20190608_093850.jpg

20190608_094014.jpg

• Like 2

I still haven't put anything in the ground... I'm gonna have to plant the tomatoes right away though or thy'll never make it. We're still dealing with real cool weather at night with rain and lots of hail in the storms. I may plant some herbs and tomatoes and call it a day. I need to work on this yard and house more than anything, first. I may do that more than the growing thing this year.

• Like 1

It's almost not worth it here now it's getting so late. I may buy some started plants if I do. My tomatoes may or may not be big enough to make it. We might have a really long indian summer, too. If that would happen, planting now is fine. You have to just do it and hope!! lol

2 hours ago, Mr Goodfellow said:

It's almost not worth it here now it's getting so late. I may buy some started plants if I do. My tomatoes may or may not be big enough to make it. We might have a really long indian summer, too. If that would happen, planting now is fine. You have to just do it and hope!! lol

Sounds like you could use a small greenhouse.

I only grow what i eat now so im lucky

To be here for watermelons.

They really excell in super hot and not a real wet environment.

Since i get enough sun in the melon patch now

I think next year i might risk planting a few

Charlston greys to.

Sugar Baby is the sweetest cultivar and not as much has to go right to haul in 10lb mellons

As opposed to 35 to 55 lb ones

But man they greys are sweet to and that huge

Heart

Mmmmm

• Like 1

I may try some melons here.... I did well with cantaloupes last year I was in west Texas.. I might try them. Shade screen is what I need but it's not cheap. It'll repel hail, too. You can actually get a better yield than with full sun here. It's too intense. 

• Like 1

Wonder if honeydews would grow up there

They are my favourite if its a good sweet one

• Like 1

I should look into that. I never grew them but I'd like to. Boy are they tasty! Those Pecos cantaloupes were really sweet and tasty, too. Supposedly the terrible alkaline soil and saline ground water is what they like... I had all of that and they did grow amazingly well. Blazing west Texas heat, too. Maybe I'll have to import some of that shitty water they have down there. I saved all of the seeds from the cantaloupes,,, I should have already planted some starters... It's 42 outside atm and only going to 60 for the high.. Not sure we'll have much of a growing season.

Very nice Toker.i have a nice garden this year.a little to much rain.i never plant corn as I can get it from locals for 3 bucks 4 12 ears.i have 3 kind of tomatoes and cukes onions squash,potatoes ,oakrae ,jalipinoes and mountaineer half runners.I have already harvested the sugar snap peas.got 4 gallon+.2 gallon in the freezer 

Have a great day everyone.temps in the 90's and going to b hot for next week.  Lake time..lol

• Like 1