•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Gardener

When tent zippers fail

The main vertical zipper for my grow tent is failing.  Does anyone have ideas on how to deal with it.  I was thinking of making curtains or drapes for the front.  But the airflow will change.  What's the best thing to do short of sewing new zippers onto the tent, or replacing the tent?

28 minutes ago, Gardener said:

The main vertical zipper for my grow tent is failing.  Does anyone have ideas on how to deal with it.  I was thinking of making curtains or drapes for the front.  But the airflow will change.  What's the best thing to do short of sewing new zippers onto the tent, or replacing the tent?

Maybe some stick em type Velcro

• Like 5

There are some adhesive zippers available on Amazon as well as most online grow stores. I've never used them, but that might be an option. 

• Like 2

Hey Gardner. I drape light proof curtains over my tent openings. Doing that I can leave zippers undone for extra ventilation and cover the holes I can't tape.

• Like 1

The zipper you speak of is located at a contractor paint store ! My son pointed me to them a while back good quality and should work for you! 

They are heavy duty and are ment to be used when sealing a room to paint using heavy poly , I know a friend made a tent using panda poly installed 2 zippers one at each end ,make sure to leave poly to overlap the zipper to light proof it though ! 

• Like 3

I found some black cloth at the local fabric store that looks like it was made to make grow tents.  So, that became a drape.

The zipper seemed like a good idea until i got home and carefully studied it along with the tent.  The zipper is at least a foot too long.  I can't leave it hanging off the top or bottom.  But my tent also has horizontal zippers at the top and bottom edges of the flaps.  And this zipper was not made to work with that.

So, i used some velcro strips.  That and the curtain are the current solution to the problem.  I need to return the zipper to the store.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1f54.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1f55.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1f56.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1f57.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1f58.jpg

• Like 2

gardenartus did good with the velcro

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep, Velcro is like duct tape. Only problem is getting the Velcro to stick to the tent as well as it sticks to itself. I think you will find the adhesive will be pissing you off soon. Use fabric glue to adhere the Velcro to the tent. 

Another idea that may help a little more. Cut a strip of your drape material about 6” wide the length of the opening. Use the Velcro to attach it to cover the zipper like a large flap. Then you can pull it off to open the tent. It may work better for light leaks. 

• Like 1

Im with you Hamme, I’ve seen a lot of people have probs with zippers and light leaks, but the convenience can’t be beat. It can be put up and taken down in just minutes. It takes me a couple of hours to set up my grow room. And for the price of a small space, it’s hard to beat tent in price now. 

• Like 2

Passive intake hammers them zips

use the adhesive to temporally hold the Velcro in desired place then staple it

it will go again eventually but at least you could have the money saved up by then for a new tent or go to your local builders merchant and build a more perminate reliable structure for the same price : )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Justcozz said:

Im with you Hamme, I’ve seen a lot of people have probs with zippers and light leaks, but the convenience can’t be beat. It can be put up and taken down in just minutes. It takes me a couple of hours to set up my grow room. And for the price of a small space, it’s hard to beat tent in price now. 

Sure tents can be put up and taken down quickly, but where are you going to leave the plants then? ;)

Just darken the room and get out the black and white foil! 

• Like 1

I have to pull down everything and pack it up in my enclosed trailer during home inspections.  Usually only once per year, but I got to have a plan just in case the homeowner decides he want to come by. He hasn’t come by without several weeks notice, I just like to be prepared. 

• Like 2

Tents are also very recognisable, they stand out like a sore thumb , even to non growers “ what is that mad looking tent thing , I’m lookin in there “ , if stumbled upon accidentally . A permanent room can be more discrete , hidden more easily and not look out of place

rented accomodation with inspections is a different story tho I suppose 

• Like 1

They come in real handy when you need dry space. I am lucky I own my home and my basement space is as big as my main floor. I have a mother in laws apartment on one side, storage and the grow on the other. I took the walk in closet for one of my flower rooms lol

Glad the Velcro worked.

• Like 2

@Indican has house inspections on occasion and he manages well , even tho a good proportion of his house is lit  lol , maybe he could give you a few tips @Justcozz

White painted walls , kiddiepaddling pools and vert bulbs work well for him for a quick take down : )

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ifish said:

@Indican has house inspections on occasion and he manages well , even tho a good proportion of his house is lit  lol , maybe he could give you a few tips @Justcozz

White painted walls , kiddiepaddling pools and vert bulbs work well for him for a quick take down : )

I only grow seedlings in the house, I put my tent in my music room until everything is ready for the grow room. My grow room is located in my 60’x30’ shop. I have a 12x12 insulated room in the shop that I use for growing. It works well, except during the winter and is expensive to keep heated. Oh, and summer when it’s 100 degrees, then the a/c has to work overtime. It’s really no problem setting it all up in the trailer, about 2 hours worth of work. I even hang the lights and all in there. I thought about just making the trailer my main grow space, but I use it way too much. I need to buy a shipping container and make it into a grow room. A permanent set up that can be moved fairly easily when I decide to get my own place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is all this talk about putting your grow rooms and tents down? You guys are obviously paranoid from all that weed you've been smoking! :jump:

• Haha 2

Just now, Hamme Hydro said:

What is all this talk about putting your grow rooms and tents down? You guys are obviously paranoid from all that weed you've been smoking! :jump:

They just need to plant in wheelbarrows bahahahaha

• Haha 2

Find the studs (wood in the walls, not with balls )  Hang a nylon rope (or hemp if ya gots it)  then bare bulb fixtures.  If u wanna keep heat down the cob lights off amazon for bout $150 plus a couple hps are doing nicely. I just scaled from rooms to a few closets.  Smaller plants but all kindsa shit happening.  2 weeks ago appraisors had to swing thru.  I had all plants n shit in a uhaul trailor in bout 30 min.. Hooked it to my old car in my driveway.  Appraisal went smooth n plants n lights back in n up in bout 40 min.  Right now ive got a few 5' tall Woodhorse herijuana bushes ready to breed under 1k hps.  Anyway.  Yea. Barebulb n kiss method.. It works

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh.. The quarterly inspection is Tuesday lol. So house is still ready to breakdown 4 the day.  Damn stress I dont need.. Or want lol.. Eff it.  Still illegal in my parts

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It's legal in my area too, but county laws are holding us back. If you are not the homeowner here, you must have a notarized county form from the land owner giving you permission to grow weed.

I've known my homeowner for almost 20 years I've been living here for 4.very nice and cool guy, but not the guy to let me grow weed. Last time he came by, I said my son accidentally took the keys to the shop home with him. That kept him out, but I got to make a special 6 hour round trip to deliver a 20ft extension ladder 2 days later that he was planning on taking with him. It would have been quicker and cheaper to tear down the grow room.lol. 

• Haha 2