•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Justcozz

Octopots, a one stop spot

Octopot, its a soil hydroponic hybrid system. Here is a link to how they work https://www.octopot.com/how-octopots-work.html

Looks like Octos are getting popular here on OG. @gardenartus has been raving about these for years. @JetDro jumped onboard a while ago, now there are several of us giving them a shot. I figured it was time we have one spot for us to discuss octopots and show how we use them. Hopefully we will be able to have one spot to answer questions and discuss individual techniques. 

I will start this out with a short tutorial on how to set them up. there are a bunch of videos on the web also if that’s what you prefer.

This is how they are delivered, six pots in a box, and yes, Octopot has their logo on the outside. But, its really no big deal.

BF885A30-7A05-4827-83B9-94CF45400EBC.thumb.jpeg.e46be7c4ea0d41fc0ed957f2b226a652.jpeg

Here is one complete pot ready to be put together.

AD835D4E-1F30-4EB7-91D3-2EE82DCB8F0F.thumb.jpeg.77a0e066028cff7e4436d6c4afa66b53.jpeg

Here is the bottom that goes into the bottom of the grow sleeve. 

448C9885-D572-46F4-AEA0-305190C87A02.thumb.jpeg.3a78546f4f26b72bf729e9ed89d0571c.jpeg

the reservoir with the top on and the base inserted into the grow sleeve.

96A5009B-10DB-47F0-B648-F05455FECA59.thumb.jpeg.d38cc51b04e90cb13408bec61045f945.jpeg

this is the grow sleeve installed in the reservoir.

75A1D298-2C16-4D29-8833-277F5F680C6F.thumb.jpeg.6ba9a6ca63fbeb1c67d0f8753951a775.jpeg

inside the grow sleeve 

CE718341-2774-4AE7-8005-2B44782007C7.thumb.jpeg.9aa166d03d953537108ca8397547bb91.jpeg

Octopot says to use only soilless media in their pots. They suggest a 60/40 mix coco coir or peat moss to perlite. In my first 3 I am using peat moss/perlite. I want to compare coco to peat moss to see what works best for me. 

Now, I used a 5 gallon bucket. Measured 2 gallons of perlite and toss it in the bottom of the bucket.

F5827C4A-C722-4846-825A-0B15814E8546.thumb.jpeg.be21356885b0d209902eca7b83a8a803.jpeg

I then fill the bucket with peat moss until full. that will give me my 60/40 ratio needed.

86176C00-8C8A-4CF3-A05C-38B3E57BFDB7.thumb.jpeg.600863a30a2ffd46f52b54e0f0883437.jpeg

Then I dump everything into my kiddie pool and start mixing it up.

D650C175-4ED2-44DA-B7CB-1B2AD6A58FEF.thumb.jpeg.03fc067532fd5e013db6c7cf0e8c9be2.jpeg

I use a small dust pan, it works perfect for tossing this stuff around. I also spray a little water as I mix just to knock the dust down.

7CB3970B-2C7C-4DBB-B914-382639016969.thumb.jpeg.2df7dd23a48aa7d7d215dbce61e0b428.jpeg

Now its time to fill the grow sleeve. I toss in a scoop of material and pack it into the base. Octopot says to pack it fairly tight to insure the material is able to wick up the nutrient solution. Too much air can create pockets that will interfere with the wicking action of the Octopots. Here it is filled and ready for the cutting.

48456308-FFAF-45F8-8270-CC2C23A39677.thumb.jpeg.eec69fe3e18b163cc3ab5f2462181a51.jpeg

I added some mykos to make the roots happy.

30E37D9C-C009-42C2-9E4D-38545CDF73E0.thumb.jpeg.c29540ec89c76c6bb537b62ed626f5ec.jpeg

I moved the pots into the grow room. I poured 2 gallons of nutrient solution into the reservoir, then place the grow sleeve into the top. 

16D9FA0B-11CD-4366-A6DF-A9E01D4A23FB.thumb.jpeg.b653ff821c68228f0da94f7443a2e01a.jpeg

Here are my two clones I picked up. NaPali Pink from Dark Heart Nursery. Crappy pic, should have moved them under regular light.

8EB8BFAA-9A6D-4655-86C2-51A181616652.thumb.jpeg.493e2ab362c92938387e65d1477b28b1.jpeg

Finally, I have the clones planted. Octopot says to water through the top at the time of planting to start the wicking action. This will be the only time you water from the top. The roots will reach down to the reservoir and the wicking action will keep the grow media hydrated.

345A9DF9-6A76-4FD6-8229-2B44B8011DDB.thumb.jpeg.1458fe9b2960b59b8a379573f3f49e9a.jpeg

So there it is, easy peezy.  The Octopot grow system up and running. It took me about 30 minutes to set two of these up, that including me stopping to take pics. 

I hope you all got a little something out of this. Feel free to ask questions and make comments. All the OG members using Octos will be more than happy to share their experience and answers questions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Nice clean write up, good pics too. I have used "soil" in all my Octo runs w/o issue, in fact I have re used it 6 times over now. Only 25% of it is "soil", rest perlite and Sunshine 4.

Amazing that FROM A RETAILER of 420 products............you get cut's that look like THAT...................like a 4 year old took them...............lol

You got 6 pots?

You placed the "pink" 2 cuts in the ocoto's it looks like..................know nothing of that strain, will have to go look it up. What are your plans for the other 4 Octo's???

What is your intentions on growing in the Octo's................gonna use a screen n scrog, or without one?

Welcome to the "club Octo"........................and THANKS for starting a general thread we can all post in, a great idea.

So far, it is G.A. , Me, 'Cuzz, Tread, and Papalag....................oh yeah, and Tiger too I think...................between us all, we can fill up this thread...............:)

Peace,

Jet

Your pots are slightly different than mine and G.A's. We DO NOT have that BIG hole up top, guessing it is for PH and nute meters..................which I have since thrown away and no longer even need to think about. Wonder if anything else has changed. I heard the bottom and net pots were changed, and lock in differently, but in your pic's they look just like mine do...hmmmm.

You know, you me n Mr. G are not that far apart. If we met in the middle, it is a 6 hour drive or so...............we need to meet up one day, shoot the shit, burn some Bud, have an adventure. :)

• Like 1

I have 3 Octos going right now. The 2 cuttings i picked up and one seedling that was late to germinate. The cuts don’t look like much, but they are healthy and the cubes are covered in roots. I have not seen anything but great reviews on the nursery they came from.

Just now, Justcozz said:

I have 3 Octos going right now. The 2 cuttings i picked up and one seedling that was late to germinate. The cuts don’t look like much, but they are healthy and the cubes are covered in roots. I have not seen anything but great reviews on the nursery they came from.

YEAH...............I saw they were "firm" in the cubes, and standing tall, figured they had roots showing or you would not have placed them. You WILL NOT need a dome over them. I am sure they will take just fine.................I am just use to MY own cuttings, which I take larger, and look nice......................no biggie.............was just saying how silly they looked.......................maybe my big cuts with leaf's on them look silly......................

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JetDro said:

You know, you me n Mr. G are not that far apart. If we met in the middle, it is a 6 hour drive or so...............we need to meet up one day, shoot the shit, burn some Bud, have an adventure. :)

I don’t know where you are, but I am about a good 17-18 hours from MR G. but I have no problem driving to his area and spending a few days or so. I havnt been out there since 1999.

So..............I am confused with all you have going.........................what are you going to be running this round? You have done all THAT since you moved??? You must have brought plants with you.............:)

WHO is gonna fill the other 3 Ocoto's????

Just now, Justcozz said:

I don’t know where you are, but I am about a good 17-18 hours from MR G. but I have no problem driving to his area and spending a few days or so. I havnt been out there since 1999.

I thought you moved to a town close to him???? I am in Texas..................takes me 12 hours to get to Trinidad...............the closest legal to me. Shitty lil town, but nice folk, and TONS OF OPEN land for my dog's to run and chase me on the ebike.

I guess I got it wrong....................thought you were near him out there...................

Description for NaPali Pink

A strain bred on Kauai using old school Hawaiian Genetics. A truly unique Hawaiian experience delivering all the color and flavor people have come to associate with island life. Legendary Kauai Electric and Alaskan Thunderfuck were brilliantly crossed to a rare and unique 30 year old cutting of an island strain called Hindu Sun, and the resulting phenotype hunt yielded a plant with bright pink pistols that hold their color through to the finish and a smell reeking of mango and passion fruit. Growers will be rewarded every time they enter the garden and watch these long luminescent pink spears mature into a hardened flower finishing in 60 days. An incredibly balanced high for medium to heavy users.

OH HELL YES..........................I want some too...........................LMAO!!!!!

YES..................the place has a STELLAR REP!!! I will watch those two lil ladies with much interest.

DHNPost1-775x900.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JetDro said:

YEAH...............I saw they were "firm" in the cubes, and standing tall, figured they had roots showing or you would not have placed them. You WILL NOT need a dome over them. I am sure they will take just fine.................I am just use to MY own cuttings, which I take larger, and look nice......................no biggie.............was just saying how silly they looked.......................maybe my big cuts with leaf's on them look silly......................

my cuts look short and nothing like the ones i bought. But I used the cuts from topping the plants. Non have rooted het, but they are still healthy.

1 minute ago, JetDro said:

So..............I am confused with all you have going.........................what are you going to be running this round? You have done all THAT since you moved??? You must have brought plants with you.............:)

WHO is gonna fill the other 3 Ocoto's????

NO, I did not move. That’s Bigun who moved out to Colorado Springs. 

Yeah I have a lot going on. 20plants from seed, Cartel Haze, Sultana, Rhino Blood, Mohawk x Lemon Fantasy, G39, Silverfields and 1 or 2 more I can’t think of at the moment. As well as cuttings from all 20 waiting to root so I can flip and sex them. Then I have one seedling that I started in a plug and put into an Octopot last week, then the two cuttings I put in today. So I have 3 more Octos I need to fill. I will be doing a scrog also,  just waiting to get all the males out of the room before I start it. 

• Like 1

@JetDro, yep that’s the one.  My wife just asked why I put my only to clones into the octos without ever using them. She may have something there, it would suck for me to screw them up because I never used these pots before....lol

My plan is to take cuttings of the NaPali Pink and keep them around until I know what this plant can do. Maybe even try my hand at making fem seeds. Guess it’s time for the Cozz Crib to make a mamma room. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Justcozz said:

my cuts look short and nothing like the ones i bought. But I used the cuts from topping the plants. Non have rooted het, but they are still healthy.

NO, I did not move. That’s Bigun who moved out to Colorado Springs. 

Yeah I have a lot going on. 20plants from seed, Cartel Haze, Sultana, Rhino Blood, Mohawk x Lemon Fantasy, G39, Silverfields and 1 or 2 more I can’t think of at the moment. As well as cuttings from all 20 waiting to root so I can flip and sex them. Then I have one seedling that I started in a plug and put into an Octopot last week, then the two cuttings I put in today. So I have 3 more Octos I need to fill. I will be doing a scrog also,  just waiting to get all the males out of the room before I start it. 

YUP.................thats a lot going on. I just did the same. Thank God it is over. I HATE having to water all the plants every 2 damn days..............

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Justcozz said:

@JetDro, yep that’s the one.  My wife just asked why I put my only to clones into the octos without ever using them. She may have something there, it would suck for me to screw them up because I never used these pots before....lol

My plan is to take cuttings of the NaPali Pink and keep them around until I know what this plant can do. Maybe even try my hand at making fem seeds. Guess it’s time for the Cozz Crib to make a mamma room. 

IF they had roots showing in the cubes...............................YOU WILL BE FINE!!! DO NOT WATER FROM ABOVE AGAIN........................Keep the Octo faith, they will root just fine.

From reading it lineage...................you got a winner! Had I been THERE, and seen THOSE, and read her description, I would have taken them too...............no matter how crappy they look.

ARE BOTH cut's from the same plant???? IF SO, you could "hedge" your bet and pull one out and place in a Dixie Cup. Personally, IF they cuts are fine(they look hard n sturdy) I would just trust the Octo and leave them in there..................

MUST BE NICE to just cruise into a "store" come out with world class MJ clones........................................SAY WHAT...................lol...............here in Texas they still hang people for it...........

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JetDro said:

MUST BE NICE to just cruise into a "store" come out with world class MJ clones........................................SAY WHAT...................lol...............here in Texas they still hang people for it...........

It is pretty cool, but I have to drive 3 hours to get there. I want to go back and try and get additional cuts, but I’m not the type to wait in line 4 hours waiting for the store to open. Oh, also got a gram of Wedding Cake the bud tender tossed in my bag for free. I’ll smoke it tonight and see what I think. It’s pretty popular out here these days.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Justcozz said:

You wont' mess up, you are too intelligent and these are made for dummies like me lol

• Haha 1

I have to chuckle, completely forget how lucky I am. There were all kinds of clones to trade here when I started, and then stores to buy them in a bit later :) I love clones, more so then seeds, as long as they are clean! :) I started off with clones and some nice breeds too. Lucky, very lucky, forget others do not have access like that. 

• Like 1

@Justcozz great thread 

what does everyone feel about the bags being to big 

I think I may cut them down by 5 inches ? Approximately 1 gallon off  .For my tent it would just fine 

I have a low overall hight of 60 inch including lights ! 

I rolled mine down at the top a couple of inches. I wasn’t worried about the height, I just thought it may keep the bag from stretching out at the top. I figured the top of the bag would be the first spot to wear out. I may get 1 or 2 more runs out of them. 

Call me optimistic, but I think I am going to love these things. I have a feeling these are going to change how I grow from now on. I have a couple of 50 gallon fresh water barrels that I fill and use when I’m hunting. Looks like I may be turning one into a nutrient container. A small sump pump and some hose would make filling these super easy. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Papalag said:

@Justcozz great thread 

I think I may cut them down by 5 inches ? Approximately 1 gallon off  .For my tent it would just fine 

This is gonna be a great thread, I believe.  I have the same height restrictions as you. Training and a net will keep everyone in check.

• Like 1

@Justcozz  that’s what Jet does I may do this with a 30 gallon garbage can 

also I rolled mine down also ! 

Paps

. I have a feeling these are going to change how I grow from now on. I have a couple of 50 gallon fresh water barrels that I fill and use when I’m hunting. Looks like I may be turning one into a nutrient container. A small sump pump and some hose would make filling these super easy. 

45 minutes ago, Justcozz said:

1 hour ago, Papalag said:

@Justcozz great thread 

I personally don’t care for the original bags.  I get 5 gallon smart pots and cut an x in the bottom.  They are a little wider and have a lower profile.  Still have 5 of the original bags that are untouched.  I think they are a little too tall and that’s why I switched.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Papalag said:

@Justcozz great thread 

I would not cut them down, they will start to come apart if you do. ALL my bag damage has been at the very top of the bags............but they are on run 7 now!

WHY NOT just roll the top down to shorten it..................think the bag will hold up better if you do THAT instead of cutting them shorter. The top 1/3 of the sleeve is dry anyways, the doubled over top will not hurt a thing.......................

• Like 2

Anyone wanting an Octopot, they are on sale today.

HAPPY 420

D1F66F55-F453-404A-A6FE-F145FA4335CA.thumb.jpeg.ab77d512ff28a71b3479d393397bbe8b.jpeg

• Like 1