•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Toker

Mushroom folks

Tokers thinking its time to make money

I want to grow high dollar legal mushrooms

I mean the gotta have kind chefs dream of.

I would like to learn this skill and one day

Seek out local chefs to sell to.

Anyone have any info on this , kinda off the beating track but im really interested in this.

I think it be a good way to make extra money and eat good to.

Not surprisingly, Washington state has been a center for shroons.  Paul Stamets is a big name.https://fungi.com/

"Roger Rabbit" is in the North central part of the state.  I haven't frequented shroomery.org for a long while but I think you can get some info here: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Board/13

As I recall, the propagation tech for Japanese mushrooms has been figured out and there is competition from India.

• Thanks 1

Hey Toker, I'm thinking of doing it here. I'm beginning to study vertical gardening and mushrooms. With mushrooms, they have a high profit margin and very little labor, depending if you make your inoculated medium or buy it pre packed.

The main thing you need, sort of out of the ordinary for most people, is a sterile space for a lab to work with your cultures. I have a large space downstairs and, I can build a small room in a corner to make the lab. You can start out small and expand. There are a ton of videos up, about home growing mushrooms.

I talked to another farmer friend the other day and she is interested in being a partner in it. And, I have a couple of others that may join. We have a big need for them here and I need a job I can do from home. So, hopefully it's going to happen. I want to start building and keeping large quantities of LOS living organic soil. I The same girl who wants to partner, has a large farm they lease for a non profit thing she does locally. called the Good Food Project. They get large amounts of manure and other ingredients right on their site from spring cleaning and I may set up a soil operation on their place.

Getting into organics a few years back has really stuck with me and I'm more interested now than ever. I can try and send some links you way. The Shroomery is another forum and I haven't used it yet, but I've heard about it. It's supposed to be a great resource. 

peace

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A sterile room is not easy to achieve.  The standard practice (or at least it used to be) is to work on a laminar flow bench for mycelium transfers, etc.  I bought a micron filter from Paul https://fungi.com/collections/laboratory-equipment/products/24-x-24-x-5-8-micron-filter and the blower from zoro.com.  (Dayton 1TDU2)  But, just another project I haven't built.

Not absolutely necessary but if a person is trying to make money, I would think so.  A lot more failed cultures without a laminar flow hood.

• Like 1

According to a guy I met through work, he does well growing shittakes. This is in VA/NC, in the east. I can't add much, but he was discussing which logs are best, with a forester I was with. Unfortunately I wasn't paying close enough attention to actually tell you WHICH logs are best, but I'm sure it's not a secret in the shittake growing community.

Somebody was telling me the other day that Oaks and deciduous trees were better for a lot of varieties but I forget which. 

Yeah, no way to achieve a complete sterile lab in a DIY situation, easily. But, yeah you have to have a semi sterile type, like what you have. I've seen those hoods I believe. I've only scratched the surface on learning. Supposedly it's very doable at the home level. 

Oak,Beech,Birch,Alder,Cherry and Spanish Chestnut is good for shiitake

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, saxo said:

Oak,Beech,Birch,Alder,Cherry and Spanish Chestnut is good for shiitake

This grower had it narrowed down even more than that. Which of the logs that shittake will grow in grows the most, fastest, in his area? He is a farm boy who got a Ph.D., and then realized what he likes to do best is grow gourmet veggies and mushrooms. What I need to do is visit him during heirloom tomato season. (He also lives one bridge away from the Outer Banks [OBX for those hooked on the place] which is a big draw, too!)

• Thanks 1

Where's your buddy live? North or west of the islands? There's nice farm country up in Currituck, NC and lots west, too. West is much more rural. Till you hit Raleigh.

There is some good vids of shrum growers on the tube

Small guys up to bigger

They give good suggestions and advise.

Ya...im not trying to be rich but it be good supplement income and i think it also be fun.

Yeah tons of videos and information. I hope I can pull it off for a small try. I wish I could get it up and going in a month but can't see it happening. I'd kill it at our farmers market.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 3:23 PM, Mr Goodfellow said:

Yeah tons of videos and information. I hope I can pull it off for a small try. I wish I could get it up and going in a month but can't see it happening. I'd kill it at our farmers market.

Good luck man

Thanks for the idea on the veggies to

Why the hell not give it a shot

We love growing plants and hell you get yummy treats to.

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2019 at 2:14 AM, Toker said:

Tokers thinking its time to make money

I want to grow high dollar legal mushrooms

I mean the gotta have kind chefs dream of.

I would like to learn this skill and one day

Seek out local chefs to sell to.

Anyone have any info on this , kinda off the beating track but im really interested in this.

I think it be a good way to make extra money and eat good to.

Have you tasted mushrooms before? Don't take it with easy hand, some people go nuts because of those

• Like 1

Porcini mushrooms taste like pulled pork to me 

Shroomery . org Is a good spot , its down at the moment though 

Was supossed to go to a gathering , but It looks like It might not be back up on time 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 1:57 PM, thormarijuana said:

Have you tasted mushrooms before? Don't take it with easy hand, some people go nuts because of those

No

I wanna do food mushrooms

Not the magic kind

But yes i love mushrooms of all kinds