•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
dieseldog381

Dog House Pizza, Beer, and Pot Emporium Barney's Farm Review.

Ok, gonna do this free form, as never found a template I like.   Lots of pics of the grow in The Dog House.    

All strains were grown in 20 gal DWC with super aeration, and minimal nutes.  PPM's seldom went over 600.  The Acapulco Gold and Red Diesel were grown with Fox Farms, the LSD used Advanced Nutrients basic two part.  All were given additional cal mag, and tons of Botanicare Hydrogard and Orca.   No organics were used.  All were extremely defoliated 1 week before flower, and about 3 weeks after.   Very few popcorn buds, maybe a quarter or half oz per plant.   All were flushed at least a week using Advanced Nutrients Flawless Finish.   All have been cured in jars at about 3 weeks, dried 7-10 days prior.   The theme was less is more on this run, as I wanted a bare bones nute regimen to compare with other grows.

Acapulco Gold

Flower time, 10 and half weeks, veg, about 6, yield, 3 oz from one plant.   VERY stretchy, floppy, super airy, ultra sticky buds.  You had to stuff an oz in a qt jar.  

This is by far my favorite of the three, just delightful happy space smoke, AND, it smells out of this world, fruity perfume, just intoxicating.  You won't find this stuff in dispensary, as it looks like good old ratty arse Mexican weed, except it's super sticky, and green, just touching it will leave your fingers glazed.  And the taste, super soft on the inhale, tastes like it smells, AND, this strain produces HUGE clouds of billowy white smoke, really surprised me the first time I exhaled.    

The high is superb, and not as long lasting as the other two, but that's just fine.  It will give you the grins, without giving you the racy paranoia of many pure sativas.  A nice boutique strain, and probably the weakest of the three, but it's no slouch, believe me, it will jack you up nicely.

Suggested Beer-Red Stripe, Kalik, Negro Modelo, crisp, clean beers like Pilsners.  

Red Diesel

Flower time, 10 weeks, 2 and half oz from one plant, pretty stretchy, but not unmanageable .   Buds aren't quite as airy, chunkier, and it's the strongest of the three.  Smells like skunky Diesel.   I'm a bit prejudice, as I've grown the original, and got SOOOOO sick of Sour Diesel being around for years, but this is very nice smoke.  It has a hard hitting racy buzz, and can be pretty intense, creeps a bit, and will get you a lot higher than you planed on if you're not careful.  Bag appeal, average, looks like home grown bud.   Smells like good marijuana.     

Suggested Beer-Medium bodied IPA's, anything Citra Hopped, Simcoe or Calypso hops would be awesome with this.   

LSD

Flower time, 10 weeks, almost 3 oz, very little stretch, it just keeps growing sideways, interesting grow pattern.   Smells hashy skunky, maybe some pachouli thrown in.  Again, very soft smoke, tastes like something old school, can't put my finger on it, lingers on the pallet kind of like an Acid Cigar, if you're familiar with those, cured with all kinds of botanicals, but this is NOT really fruity.  Their decription of "earthy chestnut" is pretty spot on.   

The high is definitely Indica leaning, but not in a couch lock sort of way, it's just very dreamy, "where I am", "did you say something?", "what was that sound?", "is that an alien space ship on my front lawn?"  kind of pot.  It's also pretty visual, seeing traces, depth perception, time and space seem to drift, it's also a great high, but not one to blow if you don't like being REALLY high when you go out.  This one DEFINITELY creeps, and for quite  awhile, reminds me a bit of Mr. Nice Black Widow in that regard.  All of a sudden, you're blowing in the wind.  It can be a bit unnerving at first, then it settles down into a cosmic day trip.   Great for pizza and a 4k movie with surround sound.  And beer, beer goes well with all these strains.  

Suggested Beer-All beer is from the universe, grasshopper,  which you are now one with, choose one, choose none, when you can grasp the pebble, beer will find you.  (this strain is great for creative writing, IF you can find your keyboard)

Acapulco Gold

P1000224.thumb.JPG.3a64ffd45c21c899b9d4824e1fb3eefe.JPG

P1000226.thumb.JPG.c74ed3266619a684736b1e608af891ac.JPG

LSD

P1000218.thumb.JPG.6f0be45aeaf16fa20b8d7443bf81a37d.JPG

Red Diesel

P1000217.thumb.JPG.e96c5190fa0b158a75176f106397567d.JPG

• Like 5

Ok, ok, so the Octopots do work, maybe!   

Here's my Sugar Punch at 4 and a half weeks from seed, slower than a glacier melting.  Started the seed 4/13, went in Octopot on 4/23, watered once, like they say, which was my first mistake.  IMO, (and experience), seedlings really stall out if they become too dry, which was exactly what this one did.

But, all seems to be well now, growing about an inch or so per day.  My idea was to just fill the whole space with her, then blame you guys when she doesn't get as big as you promised she would, lol.   I'm out of Kali Mist, so I'm going to stick 5-6 in DWC right beside her and run them 12/12 from seed.  I still love good old Kali, such great summer time smoke.    

Interesting, she's shown sex already, which is re-assuring.  I've had more than one "feminized" seed turn out to be male, but not for a long time, most seem pretty solid.

The Octopots remind me a lot of hempy buckets, once they hit the resevoir, they take off like a rocket.  It's getting TO the reservoir that takes time. 

P1000228.JPG

• Like 1

Chucky's Bride update.

I hate her!!!   Took me five hours to trim the mofo, and all the buds are typical Chucky, loose, small, cheesy balls of goodness.  But it's easy to see why this strain was never grown much commercially, but it's a great boutique strain to have around.   

She yielded 5 and a half oz, but an oz and half was tiny BB sized stuff.  Still smokes great, just no bud to it.

After four runs, I decided to let her go.   I get bored with strains, no matter how good they are.  Besides, it's all good these days, just different.      

3 hours ago, dieseldog381 said:

Chucky's Bride update.

I hate her!!!   Took me five hours to trim the mofo, and all the buds are typical Chucky, loose, small, cheesy balls of goodness.  But it's easy to see why this strain was never grown much commercially, but it's a great boutique strain to have around.   

She yielded 5 and a half oz, but an oz and half was tiny BB sized stuff.  Still smokes great, just no bud to it.

After four runs, I decided to let her go.   I get bored with strains, no matter how good they are.  Besides, it's all good these days, just different.      

I feel EXACTLY as you do on this. Such a pain in the ass to trim, such little buds.....................BUT................for sure Balls of Goodness!!!

I have one in a large scrog that just got turned. IF she does not produce better sized buds on the screen, I too am done with her. I have NOT had her produce 5.5 ounces /plant for me yet, but never ran her in an Octopot either.  I will ration the CB jar from now on....................lol...................... Actually, I crossed a nice male CB to a nice female CCK, in hopes of keeping the flavor and increasing bud size.............they are still in the ground yet.

HEY DOG.....................what Kali Mist are you running???? I ran some back when she 1st came out (90's???) and it was some of the best I have had. Pepper n Thai flavor, killer HIGH!!!

• Like 1

Hey, Jet, these seeds are F2's I made in 2011, which means the originals were probably 2008?   I ordered a pack of 10 from Attitude my first order ever as I recall, but grew Lowryder 2 and White Widow, and just held the Kali's.  I remember doing tons of homework, and Kali, C99, and Ak47 kept coming up as the holy grails of old school sativaishness( made up word) goodness.  Ak is on my to do list, but I like Kali WAY more than C99, it's not near as paranoia, racy, as C99.   Harder to grow, lower yield, better high.

She's excellent, pretty steady and consistent, except the original tended to hermie.  

My largest yield ever was 12 oz in a 2 ft by 4 space, which was 20 all Kali's 12/12 from seed in one gallon pots.  From that grow, one hermied, and while it didn't effect the other plants but a seed or two, the hermie had hundreds of seeds on it, which I've been growing since.  #1 They are virtually all female, #2 They are super consistent EXCEPT for the scent!   I've had everything from garlic, to roses, to fruit salad, all with a spicy undertone.  #3 I've grown out well over 100 plants, and only had one hermi out of all of them, and that was mild.  

I just love the high, it's super clear, and can be downright trippy at higher doses.  Frankly, I'm just not that fond of 25% THC strains, as I enjoy the experience of smoking it, and a good  Kali, usually running 15-16% THC,  has just a great summer time high.  About every 10 plants, I get the "white", one that just turns white with trichomes, you can see the difference.  Most are kind of lime green, lots of orange hairs, and it's always been ratty looking bud.   BUT, easy as heck to trim!  She does really well 12/12 from seed, about 3/4 oz from 24 inch plants in one gal.  Works great.   

i've got a bunch of Kali F2's I haven't run, C99, Apollo 11, and an old Super Skunk x Kali that should be fun.   Too many F2's, not enough space or time.   

Also, found some old World of Seeds Thai seeds I made, that's got to  be 10-15 years old.   It was some serious nice smoke, just never got back to it.  Their Columbian landrace sucked, but the Thai was very good.  

PS:  I understand Sagarmatha's Western Winds is the early Kali you speak of.  It was re-worked around the early nineties to up the yield, and make it more stable.  Word is, the "secret" genetics are Cambodian.  Most of mine run 11-14 weeks flower time, or about the same 12/12 from seed, less yield.  

• Like 1

I may be wrong on my dates, but it was long ago. I have tried several since, nothing has been even close to the same. The one c99 I grew last run was very close to her. Not in looks or smell, but in high. NOT as racy, and a great smooth fast high. 

Not sure what happened to your SP in the Octopot??? She looks PRIME now however.......................   :)  How large you going to let her get before the flip?????????

Thought I'd let her get 12-18 inches, no scrog or nuttin', just thought I'd let her grow.  Probably defoliate a few times maybe.  

Several other folks commented on SP being a slow starter, too, some just are, most Sannie's Jack I've grown have been super slow, too.  But once they get their footing, they take off.  

43 minutes ago, dieseldog381 said:

Thought I'd let her get 12-18 inches, no scrog or nuttin', just thought I'd let her grow.  Probably defoliate a few times maybe.  

Several other folks commented on SP being a slow starter, too, some just are, most Sannie's Jack I've grown have been super slow, too.  But once they get their footing, they take off.  

I have seen that here also. My Sp's were not slow starters, and came out punching. The last run I did had a SJ that was really really slow, then blossomed later in flower. It is what it is.

She is very SQUAT, what you been growing her under??? She needs to come up some and hit her stride. Looks healthy and has big leaf's.  Looking forward to seeing her fill out.........  :)

She's under a Platinum 600 LED.  

Yeah, first think I noticed with LED's is a shorter plant with almost every strain, in veg at least, most still stretch a lot during flower.   OMG, Holy Princess was one of my first LED grows, biggest fan leaves I've ever seen, and insane growth.  They claim LED's have tighter more compact buds, and I say that's generally, but not always, true.    

I've been all LED almost 2 years now, got tired of fighting the heat.    

• Like 1

I want an LED BAD!!! BUT.................so damn many, ALL claim to be the best, NO CLUE what to get........................no clue on how to build one myself either..............so I stay HPS DE

1 hour ago, JetDro said:

I want an LED BAD!!! BUT.................so damn many, ALL claim to be the best, NO CLUE what to get........................no clue on how to build one myself either..............so I stay HPS DE

Facebook is a good place to review grows under different LED lights, FYI.

Do what I did, by a decent lower watt LED ( Bought a Platinum 450 for $about $450 bucks, as I recall), see how you like it, then jump in.  It's a real learning curve, they totally change up your nutes, light height, grow structure, took me about three jacked up grows to dial it in.  LED's are so efficient, it throws your nutrients out of whack, too much of N and P, not enough cal mag, etc.   And some strains you change nothing, others need a make over, lol.  I just think they are easier, mainly due to heat of HPS 

All the major brands are going to be pretty good these days, just avoid the cheapies.  I spent a lot of time reading the reviews and grow logs, then decided Platinum was a good middle of the road entry point.  Liked it so well, I bought a second one.  They are like TV's, as soon as you think you have the best, something better comes out.

Also, not discussed much, is the coverage area of LED's.  LED's are very directional in their footprint, and the Platinum shaped lights, long rectangles, fit my 28" x 50" space better than a square shaped unit would.  

Bought mine 18 months or so ago, and everything is different already.  New thing is blue toothed connectivity, so you can control you grow space from anywhere.  

Much new stuff isn't necessarily better, it's just different, with easier results.

My issue is heat is not an issue.....................running in upstairs bedroom, A/C full house, in large bedrooms with lots of space. Do NOT use the tents anymore, leave whole room open, heat has not been an issue. The Gavita DE HPS's I use really grow WELL, and I have them dialed in exactly as to height and coverage area. Hate to start all over again...............

One day it will happen, can see the writing on the wall.................

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 3:15 PM, JetDro said:

My issue is heat is not an issue.....................running in upstairs bedroom, A/C full house, in large bedrooms with lots of space. Do NOT use the tents anymore, leave whole room open, heat has not been an issue. The Gavita DE HPS's I use really grow WELL, and I have them dialed in exactly as to height and coverage area. Hate to start all over again...............

One day it will happen, can see the writing on the wall.................

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.   

I miss HPS sometimes, they make some nice buds.