•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
root-brain-theory

Making the Most Potent MCT Oil

Greetings Opengrow,

I am curious what the opinion here is on these three options I've come up with for making canna oil: 

Use decarboxylated plant material to directly infuse MCT oil (by using a butter machine, double boiler, or crockpot, etc.).

Extract decarboxylated plant material with ethanol and infuse MCT oil with the dried extract.

Extract the material first, then decarboxylate the resulting extract, and then infuse MCT oil with it.

I am assuming that performing a full extraction and then decarboxylating the extract before infusing MCT oil would be the preferred method, because maybe it would be easier to decarboxylate extract without destroying goodies? I also assume that ethanol/isopropanol would extract raw material more completely than MCT oil, and then infusing that extract into MCT oil would be much easier than infusing it with raw material.

I'm also curious if the possibility of MCT oil carrying cannabinoids into the bloodstream without undergoing first-pass liver metabolism might actually weaken the effect by lowering the amount of 11-OH-THC produced? Not sure if anyone even knows the answer to that one yet.

Thanks!

The best I have found is to make the concentrated cannabis oil, then emulsify it with the MCT oil. Coconut oil occupies the liver, while more cannabinoids are delivered to our endocannibinoid system. If you use it under your tongue, you by pass the liver as well.

You will get more cannabinoids with making cannabis oil with alcohol then if infusing into a high fat such as coconut oil. It can be done either way, infuse the coconut oil with your herb,  herb should be decarbed first if infusing at low temp as I do.

You will have an easier way to control potency, to determine mg needed for dose, and you will have a more potent tincture if using cannabis oil into MCT oil.

With cannabis oil, I take the green out, with an infusion you will have the chlorophyll in it. I don't care for the green, nor do I use it since I have a blood clotting disorder and can not use vit K. So I avoid it, but some feel it makes better meds with the green in it. But you can make cannabis oil with the green in it as well. I prefer it without.

So depending also on what you might feel is a better medicine, with green in or out. My preference is cannabis oil mixed into MCT oil.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

As usual, I agree with Gardenartus. Use 95% ethanol for the extraction. The resulting oil can be used orally or infuse your MCT, butter, honey, etc. I have only decarbed prior to extraction, but plan on doing it after on my next run. Gardenartus makes some very potent oil, follow her instructions and you will be very happy. 

• Like 1

Thanks! I've seen many tutorials, but I couldn't find anyone suggesting make an ethanol extract before infusing the oil. I suppose I'll just decarb before or after depending on which one is easier. I feel like decarbing after extraction would be better. 

It's my understanding that MCT oil itself has the property of being absorbable without digestion, so it passes into the blood much sooner than other oils. I'm not sure if it circumvents first-pass liver metabolism. I know that blending it with coffee or tea causes caffeine to dissolve into the lipids and then cross the blood-brain barrier more easily. I'm assuming the same thing happens with cannabinoids.

I've read some threads here and I like the idea of adding piperine (black pepper) and turmeric. I'm going to try infusing regular coconut oil for use in "turmeric golden milk". Kanna (sceletium tortuosum) will also be a great thing to try. 

I don't think it would dissolve well (and it tastes terrible), but Agmatine Sulfate is also an interesting supplement I've been using for a while. Maybe it could be added to capsules. It is supposed to increase the action of cannabinoids on the CB1 receptor - it seems to work quite well, but I can't rule out placebo. I've never met anyone else who knew about using it to potentiate cannabis so I have no other anecdotes. Google has a few. It's used as a bodybuilding pre-workout supplement for vasodilation and so it's pretty cheap and available.

• Like 1

I put a tut up, probably the one you are referring too, that added turmeric and black pepper. Black pepper makes almost all we eat more bio available. Ginger does as well. Very interesting that the combo of turmeric and black pepper, used during infusion, actually makes cannabis more bio available as well. Since I am now using cannabis oil, instead of infusion into MCT oil. I infuse the MCT OIl with the turmeric, black pepper, and keep it on low heat, I add the cannabis oil. Once I strain it, I use a sonic stirrer on it to keep all emulsified.

You have to use that in a cap, it is Gawd awful tasting lol. I would add your Agmatine to it as well. Cap it up instead of using straight, will take longer to kick in then tincture, but still effective with the MCT oil allowing more cannabinoids to be delivered to your system.

• Like 1

@Justcozz do you think you will see any differences between decarb pior and decarb after ??? Decarb after would probably be more thouragh and maybe easier to do out of the two , if choosing one way 

@gardenartus does both , can boiler ( pior ) and magnetic heat stirrer ( after ) to be sure to be sure , with some winterisation and a reclaim inbetween : )

• Like 1

Oh! I forgot one thing, yes I find decarbing in the liquid state, the cannabis oil, keeps it more fluid. So I decarb in the liquid state. I use a distiller that starts the decarb process, then use a magnetic heated plate for the finish. :) Yep Ifish is correct, and to make better tasting oil, winterize it for 72 hours, drops the lipids and waxes out so you can filter them out, also makes your oil almost pure, so much more potent.

Think I kind of answered your question to JC ifish lol it is better if decarbed in liquid state.

• Like 2

Nope. as long as it is heated for a long enough time. If you are just burning off alcohol, in small batches, it would be advisable to decarb first. But in larger batches, burn off can take hours, using a distiller the heat decarbs while reclaiming. But what I have done with small batches, is either when most is purged off, the alcohol, finish off in oven or hot plate, that finishes off the decarb.

• Thanks 1

Myrrh has anti inflammatory and anti bacterial properties, but I would not use oil, I would grind the resin. I do that with frankincense. If using cinnamon, it helps to keep blood sugar under control and anti inflammatory and can help heart health. But you should use ceylon, not cassia if using on a daily basis, cassia has to much coumarin for daily health benefit. 

• Like 1

Ah yes I remembered that there was something about cinnamon that was not good. You seem to know quite a bit! I don't really know what cassia is - I was interested in cinnamon because of what I read here:

https://skunkpharmresearch.com/holy-anointing-oil-and-holy-shit/

I guess it calls for cinnamon leaf and bark oil. I've read a few other people claiming cinnamon has some positive effect on the bioavailability or something like that. At some point I'll run out of room for ingredients, but I like to keep my turmeric/piperine mixtures separate from everything else anyway - turmeric needs to be quarantined or it will stain EVERYTHING.

That Skunk Pharm Research site is very good, here is another important and relevant article:

https://skunkpharmresearch.com/decarboxylation/

• Like 2

I learned a lot from skunk pharmacy over the years :) I became disabled at a fairly young adult age, and was on the pharmie med bandwagon for many years. Just kept getting sicker, so started to dabble in herbs and the like, a decade ago I started to get more serious, dumped most all pharmie meds and went to cannabis and naturals. I study up for patients now, so kind of on hunt for info most days. I have a lot to learn, but sure have learned a lot that has improved my health and others as well. Spread the knowledge, it will make the world a healthier place.

• Like 3