•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Misterdirt

Ghost MV1 vape — an ongoing review

After about a year of considering it, I finally coughed up the bucks for a Ghost MV1 vape. It's a pocket-sized vape for dry reefer and also for concentrates. I will eventually try it with concentrates, but I just got this new toy on Wednesday, and have only tried it with reefer, at this point.

As handheld, pocket vapes go, this thing is fucking expensive ($365 with the extra battery and "fast charger," which is about $50 less than the combination was listed for, a few months ago). It better be good. The price is why I hemmed and hawed for a year before buying it.

I also have an old Volcano for comparison purposes. I have an old FireFly — and handheld pocket vape that seems to have been discontinued — and I've also used a Mighty and the original Pax. Aside from the Volcano, the only of these vapes that is worthwhile, IMO, is the Mighty.

The way you load this thing is by sliding a ceramic crucible into a chamber, then heated air passes through it as you draw. It has a nearly resistance-free draw.

It has 4 preset temperatures, plus 2 that you can adjust yourself. 3 of the presets are for reefer, the 4th one is for extracts/concentrates. You can change temperature settings by pressing a button on the unit, or with a phone app. In order to adjust the adjustable temperatures, you have to use the phone app. The phone app is simple and easy to use.

The vape comes with a few cleaning items, an extra crucible and a steel mesh pad to use for concentrates. I think I'm going to get extra crucibles. It seems like a good idea to load up a bunch at once and quickly change them as needed. The pics should give you an idea of how to insert/change crucibles.

The crucible holds about 0.1 g of weed, or a decent sized one-hitter.

After two crucibles worth of vaping, the quality of the vapor is excellent — comparable to a Volcano, but a Volcano's vapor never varies once you fill a balloon. I don't think a non-balloon vape could ever do that. The vapor is almost as cool as the ambient air, which is impressive.

I plan to use this exclusively for a few days (no smoking, no Volcano) and will add to this thread as I discover the quirks of this thing. It looks pretty cool, and it feels solid — like a fine piece of camera equipment. In another couple of weeks, I'll compare it to my brother's Mighty, side by side.

IMG_5024.jpg

IMG_5022.jpg

IMG_5023.jpg

• Like 4

Update: This thing is great!

I filled a couple of crucibles with Shackzilla. After setting the temp to the highest reefer setting (428 F), I took a few draws.

When you press the vape button, the unit vibrates. when it is fully heated, it vibrates a second time and that is the signal to draw. Ten seconds later, there is a third vibration, which is the signal to stop drawing. Then you can repeat for more.

The first draw gives the flavor, before the vapor intensifies toward the end of the 10 seconds. The second and sometimes the third draws are powerful, hard hits — very similar to actually smoking. The fourth draw is pretty good, then you pretty much have to change crucibles.

This is the closest thing to smoking reefer in vaporizer form that I've tried. I may even prefer it over the Volcano.

I'll keep updating, in case I start finding issues with it.

Up until now, I could not imagine giving up smoking for a vape. Now I can imagine it. (I might not DO it, but I can imagine it.)

• Like 3

Update: Using concentrates.

I put some wax on the steel mesh pad that comes with the vape, put it in the crucible and slid it into place. Opened the app and chose the "concentrates" setting.

It works slightly differently for concentrates. As soon as you press the button, you have to start drawing. It then vibrates and signals you to stop drawing, after 10 seconds. Then you can draw again.

The first draw seems to just melt the wax into the steel mesh. The second draw was the most powerful hit of wax that I've had, outside of using the full rig, with quartz bowl and blow torch. It was just brain-twisting. There seemed to be no trace of the wax in the crucible after vaping.

I got a new set of Wacky Bags this past week and I've got a ton of trim. Sometime this weekend I'm sure some bubble hash will find its way into the Ghost. I kind of doubt it will completely evaporate, like the wax did. might have to soak the steel pad in alcohol, afterwards.

• Like 2

sounds good ! over here it is from 240€(no extra akku)

The price is steep. No doubt.

My brother has either the Crafty or the Mighty, from Storz and Bickel. We'll try them head to head in a couple of weeks. I tried it about 8 months ago, and at the time it was the best pocket size vape for dry reefer that I had tried. The Ghost seems better, but memories of a buzz from 8 months ago might not be sharp!

• Like 1

Had it for a week and a half update:

This is still the best vape since sliced bread. Ok, you may now return to whatever it is you were doing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Misterdirt nice review, thanks! 

How would you compare this vape and Pax2? I vaped erb for abot a month (no smoking) with nightly dabs in a proper rig. I Could not notice the difference in taste or effect between 5-7 different erb strains i vaped during that time.... Only a small note of the effects you get while smoking or dabbing... I had to vape until i got a headache, and THC "overdose" you know, when your body shivering and you get cold sensations coupled with anxiety.. Never happens when I dab pure THC concentrate or smoke.... I just had to quit it even though it was good genetics, Larry OG (awesome smoke) Felt like it was wasted in Pax2... Anyone else with this experience?

/peAce

I tried the original Pax and the Pax 2. I thought they were completely unsatisfying.

It's all about how close it is to the smoking experience, for me. The Ghost is close, the others I've tried are not (though the Mighty is a good one, as portable, pocket vapes go).

One of the cool features is that the harder you pull, the heavier and more intense the hit, just like when you're smoking a bowl or a joint. Pulling harder pulls more heat through the crucible.

With most other portable vapes, when you pull harder, you either meet a lot of resistance (like with the Pax) or you are pulling heat away from the reefer, so it actually cools the heated chamber that's holding the reefer (like with the Pax).

• Like 1