•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Hi OG members :) 
I Decided to start a new topic as I find information regarding this art scattered and sometimes incoherent from the results I'm getting... Anyone interested in sharing their approach to curing? (for reference I end up with gassy smelling jars that turn menthol, mint after a few minutes/hours of burping/curing, plants are dried for two/three weeks on main stalk with fan leaves trimmed, in an AC room with 35-55%R/O at 22-24c) wether the buds are really dried on the main stalks and transferred to jars, or trimming the bud of the branches and letting them dry on nets... I still end up with on the edge foul smelling menthol, inhaling the smells makes me a little dizzy when I inspect and burp the jars. I've tried 30minutes cures, 6 hours, 12 and 24 hrs to somehow let the curing process take place... And hopefully the smell will change, but that hasn't happened as of yet (+10 days)

Are there any physical signs that indicate that the bud is ready for a cure? Any Smell I should be looking for? Moisture content doesn't seem to matter much according to my results..

/Peace

I must add that the quality and strength of the bud increases, I just tastes.. Not so good.... 

Edited by ZenShade
Smoking some 7+ Days cured SP
  • Like 1

17c is best , 22-24c and your speed drying and locking in all the clorophyl ( spelt wrong ) 

Dry for 7 days till outside of bud is dry and stem just kinks /bends

then into jar or plastic bag , for two / three days or till outside of bud becomes damp again 

then back out of jars and onto net again to dry for another 7 days  or until stems half snap ( green stick fracture ) 

thats the sign they are dry enough for curing in the jar with no risk to mould ( 70% h or less in jar ) 

burp once a day or every other day till jar is down to 60-62 

Now no more burping required 

don’t let temp drop below 15c as I think the curing process stops then and I am not sure if it can be restarted 

that whole process from chop takes 21 days , then the tastes comes : )

• Like 3

Thanks.. @ifish 

got no idea how to create that environment, I used to live much further north in Europe and never had any problems, your explanation certainly have merits... Is there any way around this conundrum? 

Thanks for that, will certainly try that with the next SP coming down in a few days... Do you suggest I keep the Jars Closed the entire first period? Regardless of gassy odors that makes my feel sick?

my rom temps are 20-27c... R/o 35-55 And my ac room is 20-24... R/o 35-55... Which would be better suited?

thanks for your input man, highly appreciated!

/peace 

Jars are kept closed in the first period with no burping 

the bud then is dry on the outside but wet in the middle 

putting them in a sealed jar draws the moisture from the inside of the bud to the outside again as the contents of the jar equalate ( spelt wrong ) 

Dry them in the coolest place you can bearing in mind odour 

the jars can be placed in the coldest room in your house on the ground 

because of you higher temps , creating a too fast a dry , you could place them stem bottoms in a bucket in the dry room to prolong the drying , I think someone on here does that sometimes : ) like flowers in a vase of water 

• Like 1

The gassy odour is chlorophyll, speed drying locks that smell into the bud , it takes 3 weeks for it to gradually leave the bud , then the true taste and hit arrive 

• Like 2

That's great advice dude, thanks a lot, I was at my wits end....  ur an  :engel Of :dope:

• Like 1

That's good to know,  I continuous small grow so there are no extra dark periods... 

But Now I know where to keep my bud :) safe and sound I the AC room... Can't wait for some tasty bud in a couple of weeks...

During the day the trichs slowly degrade as they protect the contents of the bud from heat and light 

at lights out the plant replenishes the trichs with goodness , so best to chop just befor lights on , they say : )

Would you say the bud that's been drying for 2-3 weeks also could benefit from this method... Or are they MIA regarding curing and improving taste?

I think once the bud humidity drops below 55 the curing process stops , you may be able to rehydrat the bud to reactivate the cure 

during the process don’t drop below 55 h in jars or 15 c 

i have never rehydrated bud befor to see if you can reactivate the cure , would do no harm to try , be great experiment , I’d love to know how it turns out : )

• Like 1

That doesn't work, once you go past a certain stage, too dry, and add moisture back, it changes it. I've used the Boveda packs with better success then other methods, and it comes closest, but there is a difference in smell and taste when you do that.

• Like 1

Do all your breeds do this? What is the environment you are drying in? Any side orders coming from the room?

Ok, got no  boveda, but will keep the jars sealed for 48hr and see what happens, (been burping dry bud for a week) 

@gardenartus all my breeds do the same thing, my drying room is 22-24, r/o 35-55% .... will try @ifish method and hope to see improvements...

Get a hydrometer ( temp and humidity reader ) for inside the jar to see what’s going on in the future : ) 

WOW..................bit different than my procedure.

I cut before sun up, hang whole plant, 50-60% humidity 72-75 temp, they hang 7-10 days. Come down very dry, trim carefully, put in jars.

Let them sit in jars 1 day sealed, then out of the jars into paper bags for 2-3 days, then back in the jars......................burp for maybe 2-3 days, done.

I WILL NO LONGER use Boveda to cure with. Once at 62% they work great, but not for curing ...............IMHO

• Like 2