•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

ZenShade

Anyone using Activated Carbon With QWISO?

I just read on Internet about using activated carbon as a last stage of purification and stabilization of the cannabinoids, giving them better resistance to heat dissipation during evap....

• a preferred embodiment the method of the invention may further comprise a step of treating an extract (or botanical drug substance material) derived from the plant material with activated charcoal.
  • [0054]
    Typically, this step will be carried out on the product of a precipitation with C1-C5 alcohol, usually immediately following filtration to remove the precipitate. The liquid product of the alcoholic precipitation is classified as a “botanical drug substance” according to the definition given above. Conveniently, treatment with activated charcoal may be carried out by passing liquid material to be treated down an activated charcoal column.
  • [0055]
    As illustrated in the accompanying examples, treatment with activated charcoal significantly improves the stability of botanical drug substances derived from cannabis plant material, significantly improving resistance to thermal degradation of the active cannabinoids.

It Seem simple enough to place a layer of activated carbon in the coffee filter :)
have anyone tried this method or heard about it before? 

/peAce
  • Like 1

I believe @gardenartus said she uses a charcoal filter after extraction. I have some charcoal filters, but I haven’t used them. I was worried that it could remove some of the good stuff making it less potent. Never read up on it to know for sure. 

i have a roor carbon filter for my bong , I was worried at first for the same reason , but I can honestly say it taste way cleaner and the same hit is there @Justcozz

i couldn’t hit my bong now without it : )

@ZenShade if you have a bong maybe the roor carbon filter will help the taste of that bud you accidentally speed dried , it might take out that minty hay type taste , worth a try : )

• Like 1

According to wikipedia: 

Chemical purification    
Activated carbon is commonly used on the laboratory scale to purify solutions of organic molecules containing unwanted colored organic impurities.

Filtration over activated carbon is used in large scale fine chemical and pharmaceutical processes for the same purpose. The carbon is either mixed with the solution then filtered off or immobilized in a filter. End of quote.

Sounds promising :)

Yes I have a gravity fed system I invented with another gent, we worked on it for two years. Some use that vacuum with a funnel system.

There was a concern that would happen, that it would take out minor cannabinoids, I had both oils tested and it showed minor cannabinoids.

It takes out light metals. I started using it when I was processing for cancer patients, taking donated trim in, I liked the idea of taking out metals. It takes the green out and makes beautiful oil.

• Like 2

@ifish thanks for the advice dude, I've got no roor filter, however the herb actually tastes fine after 1 week in the jars, a dry smoke with some fruity notes. An improvement in effects are also noted after I followed all the helpfull advices :)

I do have a Pax 2 that I could use to see if the taste improves a bit further..

Well damn, guess I will run mine through a filter next run. If it doesn't reduce potency,  then I'm all over it. :tu