•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Misterdirt

Willie Nelson Smoke and Vape report

This is a weird strain. It is the only reefer I've ever ingested that FEELS MORE POWERFUL WHEN VAPED than smoked. I don't understand that at all. Regardless:

Scent: (5 of 10) light lemon and pine.

Taste (6 of 10): When vaped, the "green" flavor is quite prominent, mixed with some hashy tastes.

Effect (smoked): 100% in the head. Very clear. Does not have the "electric" effect I experienced when I grew it in the past, but this was only one plant. No other phenos.

It's been a long time since I tried an all-in-the-head variety. There is literally zero body buzz, and for most times I'm looking for a buzz, this ain't the one I'm looking for. When smoked, it is best in joints than in pipes.

At first, I don't notice the buzz, then I get yakky and giddy. Very up.

Perceived potency when smoked: 6 of 10

Now here's the weird part:

Perceived potency when vaped: 8.5 of 10. (9 is for the most powerful stuff I've smoked, 10 is for that mythical bud that kills me.)

I don't know why this is. I love vaping WN, but smoking it is neither here nor there. I intend to bring a sample into a local test lab and pay for the full monty of cannabinoids and terps so maybe I can speculate wrongly in the future.

My other go-to sativa this grow is good ol' Shackzilla. 'Zilla feels like it's about 75% sativa effects, but it has the full spectrum of effects, including body buzz (though on the light side). I should have a sample of that analyzed, as well.

I will grow WN again, but the main reason will be crossing it to a few strains, including @smilestyle's  Lemon Thai F3 and @santero's Lemon Bubba.

The best med use of this strain might be for depression, when the patient can't use something heavier, like when doing some types of work. It is an ultra-clear smoke

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

UPDATE: Someone "liked" my post, so I reread it.

I will definitely NOT be growing WN again. This plant was a poor example of the cross and there's no reason to keep it going. I dropped the clones a number of months back. Oh well.

• Like 2

Does anyone have Willie Nelson seeds anymore?  I only had it one time, remember it was epic, very gooey green as I recall, reminded me a bit of good Jamaican Kind.  It was from a grower in Humbolt, I knew some of his trimmers, so it was probably legit.  Pretty righteous weed, even if it wasn't.    Not much of it available, and that's been 6-7 years ago.  

Not that I've heard. I was amazed mine germed. They were not refrigerated for about the first 4 years of their existence.

The pheno I grew about 10 years ago was a lot different from the one I grew last year. Small, relatively hard buds, about 1/2 - 1 inch in diameter, lemon scent. The recent buds were of the large, airy variety. The big disappointment was the lack of electricity in the buzz.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Misterdirt said:

Not that I've heard. I was amazed mine germed. They were not refrigerated for about the first 4 years of their existence.

The pheno I grew about 10 years ago was a lot different from the one I grew last year. Small, relatively hard buds, about 1/2 - 1 inch in diameter, lemon scent. The recent buds were of the large, airy variety. The big disappointment was the lack of electricity in the buzz.

It's a shame, that was one of those strains that says, "Well, hey, if Willie says so!"  Really nice smoke.  I'm sure someone out there somewhere has kept it, but I've never seen it in any Colorado shop, and I've been in a lot of them.  But, most old school strains don't get much respect these days in the commercial market.  

Kind of a shame the industry judges so much on THC content any more.  4 years ago, nothing under 20 percent would sell, now it's 25.  What if we treated wine that way?  Oh well, capitalism creates niche's for quality and uniqueness.  

Assuming a decent pheno was available, no strain with an 18-week flowering period could ever be grown commercially, without developing a population of reefer snobs who would buy it.

That could happen someday, as people will pay through the nose for Jamaican Blue Mountain and Kona coffee. But most Jamaican Blue Mountain and Kona coffee available today is some blend that was made to taste like the originals. A shorter-growing speedy sativa dom is much more likely to be good enough, like a good Green Crack pheno or a good, speedy C99 cross.

• Like 1

Check out Irie Genetics, they're right here in Colorado, most of his stuff is fast flowering sativa dom and it's fire!

• Like 2

On 4/8/2020 at 5:57 PM, baqualin said:

Check out Irie Genetics, they're right here in Colorado, most of his stuff is fast flowering sativa dom and it's fire!

I ordered Lemon Sunrise and Scarlet Begonias. These could be popped very soon.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Misterdirt said:

I ordered Lemon Sunrise and Scarlet Begonias. These could be popped very soon.

You’ll like his gear, he was the main grower for Jungle Boys before he busted out on his own. You can go to his podcast and  he covers all his cultivars in detail with grow advice.

• Like 1

I've been notified my check cleared, but I discovered I accidentally ordered Storm Shadow instead of Scarlet Begonias! OMG! This changes everything! I'm just going to set the house on fire now. Why wait?

OK, maybe I'm a little touchy due to the whole social distancing thing. Looks like most, if not all of Irie's selections, are crosses to a prized Arise male, which is sativa dominant. Storm Shadow is a cross to White Widow, Scarlet Begonias is a cross to Red Headed Stranger (which I would guess is very sativa dominant).

Between Lemon Sunrise and Storm Shadow, I should be covering the range from speedy, 80% sativa to speedy 65% sativa. Might need another strain or two that will wind things downward into Relaxationville.

Once my check cleared, they were pretty quick about sending my seeds. Sure, it was DOUBLE THE PRICE of the most expensive Sannie seed, but most seeds seem to be.

IMG_5801.thumb.jpg.3ad985cfbe5a853261570296a95b6c8f.jpg

I'm going to run these along with either Silverfields or Sugar Punch — two strains I've had in my seed collection for about 5 years now and never popped them.

If you read the print behind the pack of seeds, you will see that these are actually genetic preservation kits, and they are souvenirs. I'm not really going to grow them, I'm going to construct a little curio cabinet and stick them inside.