•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
tacman7

Which way to go with Infusion

I make pain cream with coconut oil in a pressure cooker, just started making oil for cookies and brownies the same way.

My neighbor gave me some trim.

Problem is I don't want to use all the oil or butter.

Well I'd like to get the good stuff out of this trim but I don't want to make a gallon of butter.

What about going back to the water and butter or water and oil method?

Would that be able to process more trim?

Seems like I remember if you get too much pot oil the butter had a problem maybe, can't remember.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Have you ever made cannabis oil with an alcohol solvent? You can turn it into balms, edibles, tinctures, etc.

• Like 1

Hey Tac, like Gardenartus said..making it with alcohol is easier (easier clean up too) and you can use it to infuse your butter or coconut oil and can even add it directly to your recipe. 

As far as making the infused butter or oil, I will typically mix 7 grams of bud to 1 cup of coconut oil. We have several “how to” threads on here to help you out.  The water and oil/butter method works good also, just difficult to get all the oil and water separated. Keep in mind, if you want to make chocolate, any water, even a drop will ruin the chocolate. 

Thanks guys

I got into making RSO for a patient a few years back. We bought a freezer and a still and an induction cooker.

Made a bunch of oil but it wasn't my cup of tea at the time.

Might have to think about that some.

I'm going to try a water and butter and lecithin batch.

I'm thinking I can process more trim with less oil/butter.

I could use coconut oil instead of butter I guess?

Never made it with coconut oil.

This stuff is really good but it was really dry when trimmed so you have all that sugar leaf crumbled up into the mix.

So 7 cups of trim will fit in my sauce pan. 1 pound of butter? maybe 2, then water to cover mixture.

It really only needs to cook for an hour? Thought I seen that somewhere.

Well just thought I'd try and see how it does.

You can pack a lot into butter, I use 40 grams per cup of butter, I add a bit more butter for the squeeze, about eighth of a cup for every cup, using lecithin might be enough added liquid to not have to add much for the squeeze. I can't fit more in then 40 grams per cup.

One of my patients hates the oil, and she can tell if I make the meds with it or not. She has to have butter medibles, hates the ones from oil.

Do you decarb before you cook it up? I go a crazy long time I guess lol I do it in a ball jar in a water bath, I've held in there for up to 72 hours. I am not really sure if an hour would be enough for full potency, think I would do at least a 4 hour run on it.

• Like 1

I agree, if decarbing in the butter it should go longer than an hour. It has to get to temp and maintain it. Short one hour decarb is for dry bud in the oven. 

Coconut oil is easy.. same technique as butter. Also coconut oil has more MCT and can absorb more cannabinoids than butter. So it can be more potent. It will store longer and can be used as a topical. 

• Like 1

I let it run all day.

I let it get too hot in the afternoon but maybe not. I'll make something and see if it tastes burnt.

Costs extra for the toasty flavor.

After testing I will try it again with oil.

Easier to store  now.

I like that you wouldn't have to make butter, it's in the freezer ready to go.

I hope freezing is ok.

Thanks

• Like 1

To keep things half way organized over here I store the herb I am using for medibles in the freezer :) I will decarb first, takes less room to store it once decarbed, just smush it down in a gallon zip lock, then add another one over that to keep it from getting frost bite.

I make ghee out of the butter first, makes it healthier for us, if you use no water, shelf life is 6 months, and a year in the freezer, It also makes it where those who are lactate intolerant can use it. It also increases the fat content, by removing milk fat solids, sounds crazy and a bit backwards but it does by I think 6%? Have to check the figures on that.

• Like 1

I been having problems with my hands so haven't been doing too much.

Have to try making Ghee. I have a can of it, about 5 years old, have to check it out.

Got it to try making Bhang.

I haven't found a good way to decarb. I do small batches in a skillet to make a Bhang.

My oven is an RV 3 burner and it just burns the bottom close to the pan.

Have to experiment with half at a time maybe.

The butter seems like it worked out ok, didn't taste burnt but got a little blackened when cooking.

Thanks

I was thinking this decarb is to activate the medicine, but what does it do for you if it's going to be cooking all day, doesn't that decarb it?

Decarb shrivels it up and shrinks it?

I don't have enough freezer room so this trim is in bags.

Thought l'd try and make up butter/oil in advance.

I wonder if you can store the oil at room temp? Or would it mold?

I guess the trim can be stored for some time room temp, I'm using oven baking bags to keep it in.

We thought we had problems when we didn't have any pot.
We weren't prepared for success.

Thank You!

Picture: Left Coconut oil no water, right butter with water and lecithin.

TwoBatch.JPG

• Like 2

Hey @tacman7....a little tip to help with removing the water from the butter/oil after infusion. Having that water in the bowl with the butter/oil will cause it to go bad and mold.

Pour it into a mason jar, tighten the lid down and place it upside down in the fridge. The water will go to the bottom as it cools and hardens, remove the lid and let the water drain out. Wipe the butter with a paper towel to remove the last little bit of water. Then it can be stored in the fridge or freezer until use. It can be reheated, measured and poured into ice cube trays. Once hardened the cubes can be tossed into a bag and frozen. Then just pull out what you need for a recipe without having to thaw the whole batch.

If you cook it long enough and high enough temp, you would not need to decarb before hand. I decarb for butter, honey, tincture, etc, because I infuse at a very low temp, it would never decarb.

I would suggest you make ghee, do not use water in your ghee to infuse. That way it has a shelf life of 6 months and in the freezer for more then a year, think up to 2. I store mine in half cup containers in the freezer, they stack so do not take up as much room, then I can take out one as needed. Or simply make it with coconut oil, without water, either way without water should give you a long shelf life on either.

Keep your herb in a cool, dark place, if you can suck the air out, that would help it keep longer.

• Like 1

Guess I'm being a tightwad wanting to save oil by using water and oil. I haven't tried water, coconut oil and lecithin yet, have to see what that does.

I think I cook too hot. I have the instant pot go for 4 hours then keep warm the rest of the night. Has a very light kind of burnt smell.

I might try cook for half an hour then just keep warm all night, might be good.

I use the low pressure setting and cooking a small amount setting. I don't know how it would change the pressure other than turning up the heat.

The one I made on high did have a burnt smell.

The other way I have is leave on the stove all day. I have these simmer plates I use to keep the heat down. I have to try double boiler.

Be much better in the Winter to keep the room warm.