•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
SmokyHH

F4 F5 Strains?

On 11/22/2019 at 9:50 AM, ZenShade said:

Might be worth to look at an additional F2 generation in any breeding project, for a more complete overlook of favorable combined traits. You never know what nature can do with a bit of freedom ;) Remember to wait for that special girl that stand high above everything else in the garden, It must be the best plant you have ever encountered, otherwis don't waste your time with genetically similar patterns that sometimes appear in First finials (unless you hit the real deal jackpot) it's in the F2 generation that nature can reveal expressions that are truly unique. Stabilizing the strain is something I don't quite understand, why not keep the cut...?

I agree with you here. Amazing genetics first, then crack open genetic recombination in the F2 and even F3 generations. You can uncover such amazing combinations and see what really is lurking in the recessive genes. 

For breeding purposes I suppose it's what your goal is. I like to find fun stuff. True F1's rarely exist these days in the world of poly hybrid x polyhybrids 1000 pheno not truly worth relying on lending any stability. Or the multi bx s1 you see so much of. But that's just lazy breeding. 

For the purposes of addressing why people would want to stabilize specific phenos lay within the idea of backing it up. Or perhaps it's pretty much everything you want but could be improved upon by simple selection ex you already have flavor and potency but the structure really could be better. Or it could be just one leg in a building block for future outcross. Stabilize 3 separate phenos and hybrid later with other complimentary cultivars. 

In a way we owe it to cannabis to work and stabilize our favorite phenos and create true F1 progeny later. 

To each their own. But if it's quality well bred cannabis, you bet your ass I want to delve into the F2 and hunt.

• Like 2

I understand what you all said, and I agree
I wish I could germinate 50+ f2 seeds and look for special ones. But all I have is 1.5 m2. I can double the area, but that's it. So I need to find a way to meet my  needs for buds and play with the breeding.  So I think about a no males approach.

I have no problem with backcross. It's a good way to achieve some goals. I see a lot of nonsense in the cannabis world as far as BX is concerned.
As I said, it's a good tool for infusing some traits into an already stabilized strain. My concern is that I will make BX on a male plant. But that is the only way(in my conditions) that I can determine sativa influence on high

8 hours ago, Spunk said:

I understand what you all said, and I agree
I wish I could germinate 50+ f2 seeds and look for special ones. But all I have is 1.5 m2. I can double the area, but that's it. So I need to find a way to meet my  needs for buds and play with the breeding.  So I think about a no males approach.

Interesting.  I have the same issue.  Until recently I only had a single 5x5 tent for flower and then id stick veg plants wherever i could.  I got myself another 5x5 and decided to go for slow rolling selection. I bought fems, 10 jackberry, 5 silverfields and got 2 blueberry indica x heribie (which ive been calling "Blubie" for brevity). Planted them all, picked 9 to go into the flower tent, kept the other six (i cracked a few seeds stuffing them into rapid rooters) aside.  When the first nine finish clones from the first 6 go in.  I got backups of 2 of my 3 selected plants from flower room.  Once all the plants grow out (should be done around april), ill keep 1 silverfield (#5 looks good from this grow, but i didnt get a backup so ill have to reveg her), 1 jackberry (already got her i am pretty sure, #1) and im keeping Bluebie #2 (#1 is too tall for me, i can tell already from veging it) but I have some more on the way to keep looking.  Right now i have Sannies jack and Herijuana in the mail with some more bluebie and that will be my grows for April - October 2020.  Some time around september Ill order more jackberry and silverfields to continue the hunt, followed by more jack and herijuana. Keeping and tossing the best plants as i go.  That extra lighted, climate controlled 5x5 room is what makes it possible. 

DB