Jump to content
  •     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Darth Budder

Proposal: "Drama Zero Tolerance" rule

Recommended Posts

As a follow up to a post on another thread, I'd like to get some feedback on this.  Very interested in what mods like @santero , who has his hands are tied unless a post breaks the forum rules, has to say but also the rest of the community:

First I think its important that we all remember that although we are a community, we are all guests here.  This place is provided as a service, free of charge, by Sannie's Shop.  The content on this board reflects on its owners, and can easily have a positive or negative affect on their business. Aside from a place to support their customers and offer insight into the business, Sannie and his crew have given us all a place to learn, discuss, share, and become a community of like minded people all working to the same goal: Grow great plants. If the latter started to interfere or negatively impact the former, I can see them shutting down the community side of things and leaving this as a blog for sannie and support forum for customers only.  I know I would.  So, if you are going to do, or say, something that you wouldn't normally in a social setting while a guest at someone else's place, don't do it here. The same rules civility apply. At least they should. To that end, I suggest (and I'll be copying this over to the "This Website" forum to discuss there) a "Drama Zero Tolerance" policy.  Anybody post that breaches the general and accepted rules of civil behavior while you are a guest at someone else's place should be flagged by the community and deleted by the mods.  The poster should be warned, and if the offence is repeated he should be banned. 

Lets keep this about plants, growing, and community and drop the BS and drama :)

DB.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i agree with the idea to act upon behaviour that is not in accordance for a guest.

we'd have to ask sannie what he thinks, cuz changing any of the rules is an admin-thing ;)
hopefully @sannie can tell us how he would like this to be handled. i will do as he pleases.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i Should be clear,  I think deleting the threads is much more important than a ban on the user.  Sannie should have some say as to how his biz is represented on here :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if we'd start banning people that are merely a bit rude (but comletely harmless otherwise)
or restrict their posting abilities, then we would be hurting sannie's biz a bit more, i think (?)


it's okay when it is "forgive, but not forget" ... otherwise people have no chance to change what
they did wrong in the first place ... the only exception is, when members are not responsive to
the staffs suggestions. then we can't help it, but put them in the corner or show them the door.

deleting rude history on the boards for cosmetical reasons, helps the ones that were rude.
imo, history gets made redundant by actions ... after one has changed and makes it seen !
(i mean:  people need to have a chance to learn from their mistakes and show it ... right?)

as long as something does not further hurt the board-rules as in: security risk, spam ect.
posts and threads should stay and speak out for themselves. it's sort of a history of the
members too.

___________________________________


the only thing that actually needs to change is people not participating but letting mods know asap
when drama breaks out. hopefully it's much easier to just send a short pm, than jump into the battle
and only risk to get unnecessarily penaltied too as a result ... hurts a lot sometimes to penalty people
you actually like, just cuz they felt like answering the calls of trolls/idiots.

thank you for your thoughts, DB, shows how much you also love this place.
but you can't get rid of drama, mate. it's just human nature and totally alright.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, santero said:

if we'd start banning people that are merely a bit rude (but comletely harmless otherwise)
or restrict their posting abilities, then we would be hurting sannie's biz a bit more, i think (?)


I hear ya, don't want to be seen as "snobs" or be seen as censoring people who dont agree with you for only that reason 

41 minutes ago, santero said:

deleting rude history on the boards for cosmetical reasons, helps the ones that were rude.
imo, history gets made redundant by actions ... after one has changed and makes it seen !
(i mean:  people need to have a chance to learn from their mistakes and show it ... right?)

as long as something does not further hurt the board-rules as in: security risk, spam ect.
posts and threads should stay and speak out for themselves. it's sort of a history of the
members too.

I honestly hadn't thought of it that way, good point.  Almost like putting them in the stocks in the public square. Also letting folks know who they are listening to. 

43 minutes ago, santero said:

thank you for your thoughts, DB, shows how much you also love this place.
but you can't get rid of drama, mate. it's just human nature and totally alright.
 

I hear ya, i do.  Its just that i found this place after stuff very much like it went down on another board. The whole thing de-evolved infront of my eyes and it brought out some really nasty aspects of people i had been viewing favorably for a long time. I also hate for folks to get the wrong opinion of this place because the way the forum its set up, those bitchfest topics can stay on the front page for a long time ya know?

DB

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

these are indeed stains on the chests of the people that
posted, but not really necessarily bad for the place, imho.
it's good when people can see who they are dealing with.

new and more positive frontpages would need to be made. favorably by the ones
that learned from their mistakes and convincingly show it too ;) if they stay the
same ignorant eejits, then there will be no change of course. stains will keep ap-
pearing from time to time and enabling these kinda peepz won't make them stop.

it's not this places task to change people to the better. we can only make visible what is there.
they need to change themselves if they want "uncomfortable stains" to get unimportant again.

all that immense drama before and all the drama after it, will not destroy this place.
members come and go, the board always stays ... that's how it was and will be, imo.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday I got quite a few PM's from concerned members about the new spam thread/posts made by Greyskull after his seven day "time out" was completed. 

I went to Greyskull's profile and saw a whole new slew of accusatory spam talking about "fake strains" and whatnot, same language he had been previously warned about and the same language that earned him a week long time out... that he obviously didn't learn from in any capacity.

For these reasons, Greyskull has been banned from OpenGrow and his thread deleted. I felt that it was necessary to rid ourselves of a member who, not only, disregarded what was said to him by moderators regarding the forum rules, but has bullied some of our members for no apparent reason other than disagreeing with him. 

OpenGrow has seen it's fair share of drama and infighting over the years and we, as a community,  strive to get past these embarrassing moments as quickly as possible. This type of behavior tends to make good, contributing members leave... some for good. 

It's sad when adults act like spoiled children on social media. It takes the fun out of participating in threads... and moderating too... I'd much rather participate in grow related conversations or help someone with their Q & A than be a babysitter on an adult grow site!

Can we please get back to growing cannabis now?!

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DesertGrown said:

Yesterday I got quite a few PM's from concerned members about the new spam thread/posts made by Greyskull after his seven day "time out" was completed. 

I went to Greyskull's profile and saw a whole new slew of accusatory spam talking about "fake strains" and whatnot, same language he had been previously warned about and the same language that earned him a week long time out... that he obviously didn't learn from in any capacity.

For these reasons, Greyskull has been banned from OpenGrow and his thread deleted. I felt that it was necessary to rid ourselves of a member who, not only, disregarded what was said to him by moderators regarding the forum rules, but has bullied some of our members for no apparent reason other than disagreeing with him. 

OpenGrow has seen it's fair share of drama and infighting over the years and we, as a community,  strive to get past these embarrassing moments as quickly as possible. This type of behavior tends to make good, contributing members leave... some for good. 

It's sad when adults act like spoiled children on social media. It takes the fun out of participating in threads... and moderating too... I'd much rather participate in grow related conversations or help someone with their Q & A than be a babysitter on an adult grow site!

Can we please get back to growing cannabis now?!

 

Now, if only Congress would enforce rules of behavior for members of government.  (....wishing upon a star...)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody know how to change the name of an album? Somehow my Beach's Backroom album got changed to the name of one of the pics in it. Not sure how it happened and doubly unsure of how to fix it. Anyone? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BeachBud said:

Anybody know how to change the name of an album? Somehow my Beach's Backroom album got changed to the name of one of the pics in it. Not sure how it happened and doubly unsure of how to fix it. Anyone? 

Sorry @BeachBud, I am not seeing any way to re-name your album. I am not sure how you managed to change it either, nothing I am doing seems to work.  One of the other members will have to chime in, the mods have a different interface. 

DB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So very interesting find.  

It seems like functionality is only limited on the older albums and photos.  I just created a new album, added a picture and for this albulm only see a "Manage Album" button on the bottom when go into the albums list of pictures. 

 

For those interested in deleting photos, if you have access to this "manage album" button, you can also save the album as private, then only you can see it. 

 

image.png.2749c12d955c4ea1bcb2ff3270731c84.png

image.thumb.png.f1b627d879ab9ee290dec48d547dd430.png

Likewise, on newer photos there is a manage photo function:

image.thumb.png.2af0e9d703ccaba6b53df1d2659bdd45.png

There is a delete button, but it doesnt work.  What you can do though is replace the picture with something innocuous, like someone giving the finger or an icon. 

image.thumb.png.c04fdd3e646941399fc6ba4880bac65b.png

You have to upload the new file, and click save. 

@santero  @DesertGrown @sannie : I am assuming that the data from the old site was migrated or imported by the folks who did the upgrade. If this was not intentional (you told them you wanted it this way specifically) or a "happy accident" in hindsight,   I suggest that in the process, metadata that the new system relies on was not created for these old albums, and therefore the new security settings for the upgraded board were not applied properly to the old data. 

My hypothesis would be that the SQL table that sets the users permissions for their own albums is not populated for the old data.  There is likely a script (or one can be written simply enough) or something that can be run against the back end database that will resolve this issue if you wish.  My offer to work for a pack of seeds still stands sannie :)

DB

 

 

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say hire DB!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey thanks DB, I found the manage album button and it did the trick. :verrygood

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys,

I was half joking about working for seeds as I offered once to get bitcoin working as a payment type for sannie for a pack or two of silverfields.  Sannie uses a service for his design and hosting and they were (reasonably) skeptical and not very receptive to giving me root access :) 

I would have been worried if they did go for it. 
 

But I am here, and happy to offer advice, diagnosis, and tech translates and  bullshit meter if needed.  Don’t mind to sling code or so minor admin either (keeping in mind I have a full time + job) but access will likely be an issue still

 

db 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...