•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sacred Plant Warrior

how much can i chop down a plant that's too tall

i am thinking to cut back all branches of 3 moms that are growing taller than needed because i can't flower them.

how much can i top them without killing them. i also plan to prune the roots back some and repot them in the same containers. I'm thinking that will slow them down quite a bit and stunt their growth a while which is what i want. mind you all 3 plants had their tops taken off a while ago. now the other branches are rising above that area quite a bit. 

they are approx 3ft tall give or take 6inches. any bonsai experts have any advice. thanks all in advance

• Like 1

You can aggressively cut back.  Say two feet and trim the roots as well.  Just leave some leaf.  Give a dose of P before hand.  Lower nitrogen.

It will take a minute or two but the mom will come back correct.

• Like 2

Consider some mom plants have been kept alive for twenty years, as long as you leave some leaf, you’ll be fine.  

I don’t know how many plants I’ve revegged from just the small popcorn bud at the base of a stem after cutting the whole plant.  

• Like 2

Hey now SPW. As to root pruning, take a sharp knife and cut off slices from all side, including bottom, like pieces of pound cake. Then repot with fresh soil, covering the stem by the amount you sliced off the bottom. I believe I learned this from an Uncle Ben thread quite a while ago.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shoeless said:

I believe I learned this from an Uncle Ben thread quite a while ago.

Wow, there is a blast from the past. And i've done it the same way with great results.  I used to keep my moms in 1 gallon pots.  LST them out to a nice 4 way open cup and let em go to about 24-30 in off the soil.  I would root prune once a year, just like @Shoeless described, and every two to three months they would get unruly and chopped down significantly. Especially around mid-fall as i did no major cutting in the winter (I dont have a reason, just seemed to make sense as they would be under cold stress in the first place). 

DB

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, FoolOnTheHill said:

You can even chop the whole plant, as long as you keep a clone.

I actually was wondering if doing that over and over has a negative effect? I see a lot of contradictory information on the subject online ... I’ve started keeping track of how many steps from the original mom I am, but it will take forever for me to find the answe that way.  

thank you gents and what you have said is inline with my thoughts and ideas. funny how i didn't think in terms of revegging a plant which i have done before a few times. 

@Shoeless damn u were with us back then. i didn't know or can't remember. Uncle Ben was one of the ones i paid a lot of attention to for his grow knowledge mos def. 

so, i looked at them just now and i'll trim them back 6 inches below the shop light/cut them down approx 6-8". i won't do that until i sign the lease = 15 mths this  week. 

4 hours ago, FoolOnTheHill said:

You can even chop the whole plant, as long as you keep a clone.

i have clones started for them now. Yet, i wanted to hold on to the moms if possible to give me an edge/jump on producing some bud and slam them on 12/12 as soon as the coast is clear. the clones would be well rooted before headed in the tent but behind the 3 moms by approx 2/3 weeks.

they will go from 16/20 oz cups to 3/4 gal pots approx to finish veg then right into 2/3 gal pots to flower in coco. will knock off soil as much as possible then up pot to flower pots of coco. the coco should speed things up and make up for the transplant that's a bit more drastic than usual. 

3 cuts from the single pig are still in water = extra insurance and one other is already in a soil cup rooted. 3 clones were put in cups tonight. 1 with only bumps and 2 with roots. i noticed another cut in a cup that is rooted now as well. so two of the moms already have enough cuts rooted. all were from seed but i don't need to worry about phenos with just two plants from the same seeds. either they are different or alike.

18 hours ago, Darth Budder said:

I actually was wondering if doing that over and over has a negative effect? I see a lot of contradictory information on the subject online ...

The seed banks just don't want to clone their plants indefinitely. They like you to believe that  "negative" things can happen.

• Like 2

The only way negative things will happen is if the genetics have some problems. Somewhere down the road they could go bad, but it would happen to an old mom as well.

You can cut back as far as you need with no issues, just leave some kind of green and it will come back.

• Like 2

Lol..i have been watching over the years a chucker on here ,selling his wares.

I have seen some of his moms that look like they came from a throw away dump.

No way,healthy clones could come from those moms.

Evidently it is their common pratice to do so..

In my opinion,u get healthy clones from healthy mothers.

How long a person can keep a healthy one is a question i can't answer.

I myself will cline a few times from a mom but i have never kept one theough the summer for next year.

I have ,however, kept a couple clones that i used the next indoor season.

Keep en healthy and green.

• Like 1