Sign in to follow this  
Toker

Cloning

My recent attemps all failed

Like 8 or more

My temps are low and i will fix

All strains clone well in summer

But and i know im wasted now

Has anyone noticed it gets harder to find good cuts on a plant thats aged?

Nice soft green spots are what we want

But as my plants age i notice the stems become harder..

Stronger and the availability of nice soft green

Stems fades?

ive seen mothers over a decade old.

It likely is your environment and mother care.  If you cant get right then make a new mom from a healthy clone.

Do not treat a mother like a clone in constant veg.  Give her more a balanced diet and boost P a week before  taking a cutting.

• Think of what our goal of a mother is.  To make new shoots that are ready to root. 
    • Adding P about a week before taking cuts and reducing nitrogen that dose will help the new cuttings root faster. 
      • Nitrogen is for growth not roots.

In summer, some people will put their mothers outside for a few hours to help it rejuvenite but not everyone can do this.  

Trim roots about once or twice a year as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For years I had been cloning in rapid rooters with what i considered to be good success, but that was only a 60-75% success rate.  I didnt have a lot of room so I didnt care, i always took more then i needed so i would have what i need and discarded the rest. 

Last year was a bad growing year for me, and i didnt grow in 2019 until october. It seemed like almost everything i tried to start up, seed or clone, died on me after a few weeks.  Of course, it wasnt the rapid rooters that changed, but me. Turns out stuffing wet rapid rooters into seedling trays kinda kills the whole "Perfect air-to-water ratio" :)

Starting up this year i did some research and found some other things I was doing wrong with my cloning. 

1. Too hot. My tents are up in the attic, and the temps are too volitile for clones so I stick em in my office closet with a light.  Turns out it easily gets to 95 degrees in that closet, no good for clones. 

2. Too much light.  Research has shown me that the clones do not really like high intensity light.  I was giving them somewhere in the realm of 20k lux, which can apparently cause them to transpire too much and interfering with rooting.  Doesn't kill or stop the process, but makes it a lot harder for the plant and makes it take longer.  Consequently raising my light up to provide about 8-10k lux also helped with my heat problem 

3. Letting em sit in water.  If I noticed the rooters drying at all, i would pour water into the tray and just let it sit there.  This can cause all sorts of problems apparently. 

4. To many nutrients in the media. Hempyfan talked about this above.

5. Not LTTFA.  I am obsessive.  Contently checking for roots, lifting the dome etc.  This messed with the environment.  I am sure this isnt a big part of my problem but i am trying to get to the point of not messing with them for at least 7 days as long as the humidity is 95% or higher in the cloner. Cloner, HA! Two plastic ziplock tubs on top of each other. 

This round i ditched the rapid rooters in favor of standard seedling trays with coco.  Kept em humid, temperate and wet.  21 of 22 rooter for me and I suspect the health of the mother and a weak cutting  was a factor for the 22nd one. Overall I am happy and I think this will be my method going forward. 

image.thumb.png.05e7a0f5387199283d883ed21a2a64d2.png

image.thumb.png.933600df1d3349b2c0e34bc24aafe1f6.png

image.thumb.png.2433551019afe694d25d3f00bb5bd4cc.png

image.thumb.png.36dd4c908b85fbfa6e6c7a50bf482c78.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Darth Budder, that post will help a vast many!

Keep on, keepin on!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would just like to add a few things 

recently I was having trouble cloning the lemon gas mom  many failed attempts then 20 days to finally get roots 

did some research and upped my game 

if you don’t mind I’ll dare a few points that helped 

• start clean 

• take cutting from Younger ,green branches easier to root  ( older more woody you need to scrape a layer or two off the stem )

• let Cutting stem soak in water ( about 10 mins or so ) 

•cut rooter open length wise ( I fine pushing the stem through the little hole only removes the rooting hormone ) 

• soak rooter in water with humic- acid ( about 10 minutes) 

• let clone sit in rooting hormone ( clonex gel ) about 10 min 

• when you place stem in rooter tie it tight ( I fine it really helps 

• place under dome keep moist not soaked 

LITFA 8 to 12 days roots 

the pics I’ll post shows what I do it works for me and since I changed up my method it100 % works 

I done use a dome I use solo cups with 2 inches of dirt in the bottom and a plastic baggy for my dome 

B602DD4B-66E1-4AF6-9EC9-CABFF3BAC7CF.jpeg

432D4163-30FF-43B9-874B-8B4EA9F26BD5.jpeg

AC412F94-5E86-4211-9185-18C606185B46.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Toker said:

Nice soft green spots are what we want

But as my plants age i notice the stems become harder..

well, basically yes but lol. ideally folks take new growth to make clones. at the same time i've often taken medium growth older stuff to make clones in water or the groclone and they root in normal times +/- . woody stems are easy to root in plain water/spring water and left alone.  not superfast but when i do water clones i don't need/want super fast rooted clones. by the time a water clone roots it has a nice healthy root system if u take a bigger branch. it will rock whatever medium you put it in, from soil to hydro.  lastly their are different strength rooting powders used based on the woodiness of the cut.after i clean slice the stem bubs off i scrap the stems lightly with a razor. that's what lets the roots come from multiple places along the stem rather than just the bottom .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Updated pics of those clones. 

They were cut on the 5th of december. They were ready for planting by the 18th or so, but I didn't get them planted until the 21st. These pics are 8 days later.

large.IMG_3538.jpg.6a5fa95053b8f42f75783e660448fd50.jpglarge.IMG_3537.jpg.50200683f0d7925460bb342be439680f.jpg

Im lovin my new method so far. And these little 4in grow bags! cheap as shit and do a great job, you can even plant them right in the bags!

Looking for proof via repeatable results with new cuts from the same plants sometime this week!

DB

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Shoeless said:

Hell of a deal! A lot cheaper than rooters.

You do have to stuff em with the media, but yes likely still a lot cheaper then the rooters.  I actually do not root in these but I am sure you could.  I am rooting in seedling trays stuffed with coco, then i stuff these half full with coco, put the rooted cutting in the middle and fill to about 1/4-1/2 inch from the top.  The bag holds the water just long enough for the coco to absorb it. 

DB

9 hours ago, Shoeless said:

i looked at both and can see how they both can be used. i like darth's idea for coco since i'm going to be doing coco.but these would be perfect for hempy buckets as well.  something i will revisit based on a two bucket trial before i had to retire. 

yesterday i was looking at various clone shippers the more expensive round ones with lights and the more economical square style shippers. some no lights at all. i used to do the standard wrapped paper towels baggy and then for rooted cuts put a pot cover over a pot and the medium sealed in. pot sealed to stay in palce. hell i've done them as tall as 10" at least. packed in triangle cardboard postal things.  

@Darth Budder how exactly do you water the small ones ? i said fuck the smart pots etc since coco has no issues doing roots balls and i be damned if i make simple watering a chore because of those pots. lol