•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

The most powerful comes from mutants but not all mutants is the mutant you are looking for!

Mutants get me excited but all but 2 have ever reached that legendary potential.  One was a Chem D.  On hitter quitter but good luck getting that one to clone even with all optimizations.  Out of 50 clones I might get 2 to root.  Never yielded for shit but basically grew straight to concentrate!!!  Was one I always kept for myself.

I miss that plant.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, smilestyle said:

The Motherplant of this cross had mutant leaves and additional buds on some sites.

smile

Now all I need to do is go down to my local grow shop and buy some Miracle Flowering Period Shortener so I can try these out.

About how many weeks for the Lemon Thai? 12?

I was at the point in my grow when I started to doubt that pot plants grew any flowers at all, when...

60813520223__5B48BF92-62F2-4627-B7EE-210C5453C306.thumb.jpg.3ef022844abec2703585151cfc98d5e6.jpg

I believe they decided to flower. This is a Miss U Jack. The Peyote Pancakes are a little bigger, the rest are about the same as Miss UJ.

My Next Grow's Resolution:  I will not have 19 girls in a 5' x 5' tent. It could be another ill-advised number, but not 19. (Once I use a number, I toss it aside like somebody did with that plastic straw that ended up in a sea turtle's nose. The thrill is gone with 19.)

• Like 6

The girls are about 16 or 17 days into 12/12 and all looking happy (except the Lemon Thai with the congenital Fe deficiency, which is still coming along, but is weaker than the others. Maybe it's a variegated pheno! ;)

The largest buds, by about 2 mm in diameter, are the Peyote Pancakes (the one I'm touching). The nearer, blurry bud is a Miss U Jack.

IMG_5732.thumb.jpg.9a9d09a64db05113c1418eb6d38c4f5e.jpg

This next one is the Lemon Bubba — the tallest bitch in the garden. I tried to convince this branch tip to go a little bit laterally, but I was not convincing enough. The stretch on all plants has been pretty light. It might be that I "gradually" reduced hours and left the MH in for the first 10 days, but I really don't know. I was really worried, given they were halfway to the top of the tent when I flipped them.

IMG_5733.thumb.jpg.d0c179ba31925e96955be3c8e1456127.jpg

• Like 9

After only 2.5 weeks of 12/12, the Blueberry Quintessa plants are covering themselves with trichs. Very sweet smell, fruity.

The other plants look good, but no trichs yet. Not that I expected any. I usually don't see trichs until sometime into week 3 or later.

• Like 2

I can't help but muse on the possible phenos I have for Pineapple Fields. There are definitely at least 3 represented. @ProfessorP hasn't been by in a long time, so I'll take a wild stab, based on growing 3 females once.

I'm guessing this one is pheno A or pheno C. It has the thinnest bud leaves, and they come out of the bud close to vertically. I lean toward C on this (the Miss U pheno).

IMG_5741.thumb.jpg.0c3049ea5f7af71c192b4c357e75d6be.jpg

Next there is this chunky specimen. It has a thicker stalk than all others. It's the most "indica-like" of the 6 plants, with rounder buds. The last time I grew her, I had a definite pheno D (pineapple juice pheno) which was very short, so for that reason I don't think this one is a pheno D. I'm hoping this is a pheno B (roadkill skunk pheno)

IMG_5742.thumb.jpg.cd14996bd380c3ff900b56681a772365.jpg

This is the third pheno. I have at least 3 of these, maybe 4. I'm guessing it's a Pheno A - the 50/50 between the two parents, but it could also be C. It's similar to the one in the first picture, but the leaves are a little wider and the bud leaves stick out to the sides, rather than vertically.

IMG_5743.thumb.jpg.a6db80f457efe51779e6ea5956b2db2a.jpg

This is another plant, which seems to be the same pheno as the one above.

IMG_5746.thumb.jpg.051c277b0f066b8ed2ad66c6907bda04.jpg

And now for my two Peyote Pancakes. There are two phenos, based mostly on bud structure. The second one is clearly more round and solid, at this point.

IMG_5747.thumb.jpg.0129f1a1e89d21b6f01947cc5bb7731c.jpg

IMG_5748.thumb.jpg.8a449da5967f90fa939a6416348e9d82.jpg

And finally, one of the Blueberry Quintessa plants. You can see the trichs, kinda. I'd like to run the plain old Blueberry Sativa by Koma, but it's been out of stock for a while.

IMG_5744.thumb.jpg.60010db83a9532f3db47d8021afec97f.jpg

• Like 9

On 3/30/2020 at 11:50 AM, Misterdirt said:

Mine would probably turn a self-respecting lizard into lizard jerky.

The makers of lizard lights know the light will be pretty close to the animal and that they'll get sued and lose business if a horned toad dies. There just hasn't been enough work done on developing proper UV lights for Cannabis plants. I may have a look at the ones you're using.

Hey there Misterdirt, nice grow you have running there. I was wondering how long the uv-lamps run per day? 12/12 as the other lights or less?

You have a really nice lineup.

Happy weekend everyone

2 hours ago, lumatekfan said:

Hey there Misterdirt, nice grow you have running there. I was wondering how long the uv-lamps run per day? 12/12 as the other lights or less?

You have a really nice lineup.

Happy weekend everyone

You can run lizard lights the whole 12 hours - even the 10% ones.

I just put up the UV death-ray lamps I used last time, at the 3-week mark. I am starting them at 1/2 hour/day. They look great now, and the 1/2 hour hasn't caused any problems. When I start seeing trichs I'm going to increase it by a half hour and see what happens.

I burned the fuck out of my plants last time with an 8 hour session, thinking they probably weren't that much more powerful than lizard lights. But I had my lizard lights about an inch away from some plants for 12 hours. No problems

• Thanks 1

My plants are on automatic pilot now, only caring that I exist when they need water, or when I pay the electricity bill. So that means I stare at them at least once a day, for no reason.

Then, while doing the Cannabis-Humanoid mind-meld this morning, I realized that my grow was a SOG. I don't know why this seemed profound to me, but it did. The only slightly different thing about my SOG, compared to the SOG of someone who sets out to do a SOG in the first place, is that the flower tops are all about 5 feet off the ground.

My SOG story --

IMG_5751.thumb.jpg.e892a917c44edeaa56c449b81d9684c0.jpg

There they are, SOGing it up, like there's no such thing as social distancing.

IMG_5752.thumb.jpg.7809ea0f2052b7c43b73246d201c8dd6.jpg

But of course, as you can see, none of these gals are wearing pants. A few have short legs and needed booster seats. 

All told, they're a fairly well-behaved group. Some needed a little bondage to stay the fuck out of the light. My only regret now is that there isn't a little more room in the tent so I can set up my Blumats with a reservoir in the tent.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

The plants flowering are looking great, my clones are another story.

Some of the Pineapple Fields and Miss U Jacks just don't want to root. The others are about average, except the Lemon Thai — those plants react quite vigorously to cloning gel. Holy shit, a "hairy" mess.

For the ones that didn't give me viable cuts yet, I think I'll just leave a branch unharvested at chop time and reveg for another clone. I have gotten clones from flowering plants before, but they're even harder to root than vegging plants. I don't know if that would be fruitful with these stubborn ones.

I think there is a variant of Murphy's Law at play with taking clones: Any cuts that die are from keepers.

• Sad 1

The three Lemon Thai gals:

The first two are growing fairly similarly, though one might have shorter internodes between buds. They have long pistils that look like someone brushed them straight up.

IMG_5770.thumb.jpg.45b9ec727ee86de0f4f446c6171266e5.jpg

IMG_5771.thumb.jpg.9122499b04810f071e58b535c30dd415.jpg

They're quickly covering themselves with trichs. A couple of days ago, you could barely see any. This next one is the weird one that can't seem to take in enough iron, or some other micronutrient that causes interveinal chlorosis. Its clone rooted well enough. I might have to use a chelated nutrient product to grow a healthy specimen.

IMG_5772.thumb.jpg.91a1be6be6f9ae4a28d34842d437b24c.jpg

She ain't pretty, but she's triching it up. All three are very lemony. Seems like limonene is the main terp, which could promise some high-flying fun.

This last pic is one of the Blueberry Quintessa plants, showing off her trichs. Scent is fruity so far, but not well-defined yet, unlike the Lemon Thai, which is intensely lemon at a young age.

IMG_5766.thumb.jpg.1201c330667520c88e1d097d77d1094b.jpg

I upped their UV treatment yesterday, by a half hour. No complaints, at this time, except for a Miss U Jack who got remarkably close to one of the lights. She's not burnt, but her pistils seem rather curly!

• Like 10

The Lone Lemon Bubba...

I'm officially at the 4 weeks of flower milestone. The Lemon Bubba looks like it will give me a nice cluster of buds at the top. It's hard to tell how it would normally grow in an uncrowded situation, but she's a tall one.

Wide, indica-type leaves. She's getting trichs and there is definitely a lemon scent, but there is also an undefined, undeveloped scent that I expect will get stronger.

187515472_IMG_5775copy.thumb.jpg.6b7e8eaa445b82cb63bdb7a9a6782a4b.jpg

This top was broken and bent TWICE to keep its height down. you can see various twist ties in there. It took some convincing, but it seems stretch is over.

• Like 6

On 4/26/2020 at 11:17 AM, smilestyle said:

These brushed up pistols are typical for Lemon ThaI.

ssmile

I think the Fusion guys crossed it with Don King.

https://www.callandpost.com/single-post/2016/05/03/Cleveland-to-honor-Don-King-with-street-name

• Like 2

I'm having a great time trying to discern different phenos and lesser variations on the Dynasty strains. I'll have to drag them out of the tent for a photo session soon.

Miss U Jack seems to have two phenos: a tall, mostly lemony-scented pheno and a short, stockier pheno which, so far (4.5 weeks), has a fruity scent. The short, stockier one looks like it might really produce some major buds, if given more room. The others are producing, too, but the buds are not as large. I have one stocky plant, three taller ones.

I'm now guessing I have 3 Pineapple Fields phenos, with variations within two of them. Those variations might actually be different phenos, according to those listed by ProfP.

1. There's a sativa dom pheno that I'm betting is pheno A - the 50/50 mix between the two parents. There is one that is slightly different, with bud leaves that start out standing straight up, but by scent it's the same as the other two of this pheno. The scent is pineapple candy.
  2. There is a smaller plant with colas that have pink pistils. Spear-shaped colas, Leaves look sativa. I don't recall the scent, offhand. This gives me an excuse to check on them again. I'm guessing this is pheno C, but that's a wild stab.
  3. I have another two plants with wider leaves, distinctly different structure than the other two. One has fantastic, chunky round buds running up the main colas. The other has similar leaves, but the buds are not quite as large. Again, can't recall the scent. If it was "roadkill skunk," I'd have remembered. I still suspect they are the roadkill skunk pheno (pheno B), because they're definitely not pheno A or C, and the pheno D I got last time was a much smaller plant.

EDIT: OK, I just checked the scents again. The things I do for you, the members and readers of Open Grow. I didn't do it for myself. No sir.

The scents on the two wide leaf plants and the pink pistil plant are the same — almost nothing at this time. There is a slight pineapple scent. I expect something to develop, but it hasn't happened yet. A closer look at the little pink pistil plant showed it has similarly wide leaves as the other two without scent development.

I've had plants that seem to change scent from the beginning of bud development to harvest, so I'm hoping these three follow that path and start to stink up the place. The pineapple candy scent is just fine, though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For the grow record:

I edged up my t-5 UV death ray lamps to 2 hours/day, and now I'm dropping back.

I started with 1/2 hour/day, then added another half hour, with an hour in between, so the plants could "recover" if they needed to. Then it went to 3 half hours a day, with an hour in between each. All was well.

Then I boosted it so that one of the light periods was a full 1 hour, and some of the plants started to complain. A Pineapple Fields and a couple of others suddenly had drying pistils - they went red overnight. One of the Lemon Thai girls shot up a tassel on it's highest bud, like an umbrella. None got any real light burn, where there is serious damage to leaves and growing tops.

The tassel got snipped (It's drying. I expect it to be relatively weak, but speedy. Too pretty to throw away.)

So for those who intend to ever experiment with UV light and you buy death ray lamps instead of lizard lights, 1/2 hour increments with rest in between works pretty well. A full hour seems to upset them.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Misterdirt said:

For the grow record:

I started with 1/2 hour/day, then added another half hour, with an hour in between, so the plants could "recover" if they needed to. Then it went to 3 half hours a day, with an hour in between each. All was well.

Then I boosted it so that one of the light periods was a full 1 hour, and some of the plants started to complain. A Pineapple Fields and a couple of others suddenly had drying pistils - they went red overnight. One of the Lemon Thai girls shot up a tassel on it's highest bud, like an umbrella. None got any real light burn, where there is serious damage to leaves and growing tops.

The tassel got snipped (It's drying. I expect it to be relatively weak, but speedy. Too pretty to throw away.)

So for those who intend to ever experiment with UV light and you buy death ray lamps instead of lizard lights, 1/2 hour increments with rest in between works pretty well. A full hour seems to upset them.

Sounds like the stress added to the plants is greater than the benefit it can provide. 

Yes, UV damages living things. There is no escaping that. It's just finding the balance. I have to recommend lizard lights over the death-ray lights. I never saw a sign of light burn when I used them.

6 hours ago, Misterdirt said:

For the grow record:

TY for that, I bought some to fit into the ducts and furnace instead, (which the stimulus check paid for, nice timing government)  I am sure I would kill myself or the plants ;) UV kills PM, was looking at someone using it for that, but it is a very short amount of time and certain distance, and if leaf covering won't kill it. I know me well enough I would have screwed something up ha! I was looking into them for preventative, not bumping up THC production. But you saying this, makes me feel better about the choice I made.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gardenartus said:

TY for that, I bought some to fit into the ducts and furnace instead, (which the stimulus check paid for, nice timing government)  I am sure I would kill myself or the plants ;) UV kills PM, was looking at someone using it for that, but it is a very short amount of time and certain distance, and if leaf covering won't kill it. I know me well enough I would have screwed something up ha! I was looking into them for preventative, not bumping up THC production. But you saying this, makes me feel better about the choice I made.

It's actually a different wavelength of UV light that is used for disinfecting.

The wavelengths that increase THC are UVB and possibly UVA, as well. (There is some controversy over whether the author of the UVB article, John Lydon, truly filtered out UVA light and only was using UVB.) The stuff in your furnace duct is UVC, which I think is higher wavelength.

There is a UVC light sold at places like REI and other outdoor stores that is within a plastic rod that is used to purify pathogen-contaminated water. You might be able to just pass it over a branch and knock out fungus and spores (and maybe mites) without hurting the plant significantly.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Misterdirt said:

It's actually a different wavelength of UV light that is used for disinfecting.

The wavelengths that increase THC are UVB and possibly UVA, as well. (There is some controversy over whether the author of the UVB article, John Lydon, truly filtered out UVA light and only was using UVB.) The stuff in your furnace duct is UVC, which I think is higher wavelength.

There is a UVC light sold at places like REI and other outdoor stores that is within a plastic rod that is used to purify pathogen-contaminated water. You might be able to just pass it over a branch and knock out fungus and spores (and maybe mites) without hurting the plant significantly.

Yep, UVC, I am kind of dumb with this stuff. I think it was Diesel that told me about these, only I got them half price. I am hoping it works as preventative, picked up PM from upstairs, took it downstairs through the vents. Put couple in ducts by grow and one by furnace. https://purennatural.com/products/hvac-uv-light-system-double-bulb

I was reading on that, how to pass it over the plants,  but you had to be very careful, distance from plant, how long you did it, or you can kill the plant. Plus all the other little warnings, your eyes, etc. I decided I would goof up so went with the duct/ furnace.

To effectively kill fungus you need to be very close to the fungus and move extremely slow if this is the UV light used for sanitizing and sterilizing some areas such as surgical equipment and similar sensitive tools etc.

I do like the idea of them being used at weak infection points.  I like this discussion.

• Like 1

There’s a bunch of the uv Hvac purifiers out there, and I know they significantly increase air quality, so assume it would be preventive, than curative. 

I run medical grade Medify charcoal filters in my home, notice the difference within an hour.   Anyone recall the old Sharper Image Ionic Breeze?   The black, sticky, crud those things collected out of household air made you wat to hold your breath.  They had a UV switch, too.   Worked really well, actually. 

• Like 1